will the Note 5 battery outlast the iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 6S Plus battery?

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: will the Note 5 batter outlast the iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 6S Plus battery?

The S6 forums are not really a better test :)
And yeah my S6 battery life is not great anymore. Standby is amazing, but if I keep using it, then it goes down faster

I used to ger 5+ hours of screen time on my S6: Here is the proof http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/519766-app-saved-my-battery.html

Now, I can't even get passed 4 hrs. Im sure if I factory reset, I would be getting 5+ hours but I don't want to do that. Probably I have to clean out my phone

Lol.

I don't know dude, sometimes I trust forums more than professional reviews.

User reviews hold more weight for me.

Anyways here's hoping the new devices run more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would suspect that the note 5 won't last as long as the 6sp.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I think the op was asking about the 6 plus. The 6 plus has much better battery life. I switched from the note 4 to the iPhone 6 plus after I lost about an hour of screen on time with the lollipop update. The 6 plus kills the note 4 in battery life. Still thinking about picking up the note 5. I really miss some of the s pen functions.

This is a test from Phonearena
View attachment 191186

This is from Trusted Reviews
"Living day-to-day with them, the S6's stamina levels are nowhere near as good as the S5, but compared to the iPhone 6 it just about beats it."
Read more at Samsung Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6: Which is the best smartphone to buy?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

The worrisome thing for me is not how well battery life does on initial reports, it's afterwards. In my experience all it takes is for one crummy patch to come around at some point down the road that introduces battery issues and then you're stuck with that for months until enough people report issues, Samsung investigates it, compiles a fix, releases it to carriers, and OTA goes live.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Nexus 6-Motorola
Galaxy S6-Samsung
Galaxy S6 edge- Samsung

All offer fast charging, all have mediocre battery life.

So yes, fast charging is "awesome"
Yes, it is remotely true
Yes, it is logical.

We can make assumptions based on the size of the battery and the last 2 Samsung devices that were released, each having mediocre battery life.

the last 12 months is like the year of the anti-Christ?

iPhone 6
Nexus 6
Galaxy s6

6, 6, 6.....

glad I'm a Swedish atheist. :)

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

The worrisome thing for me is not how well battery life does on initial reports, it's afterwards. In my experience all it takes is for one crummy patch to come around at some point down the road that introduces battery issues and then you're stuck with that for months until enough people report issues, Samsung investigates it, compiles a fix, releases it to carriers, and OTA goes live.

Yeah so you're right, some people will say use a rom to deal with crappy patches but some of us aren't willing to do that.

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

This thread is a moot point due to the Fast Charging. My Note 4 pretty much charges to full when I plug it in my car going from A to B or I'm at my desk for a few min. This is why I am glad it doesn't have USB-C

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If the Note 5 battery can outlast the iPhone 6 Plus battery, I will eat my words and buy a Note 5. I don't see how a Note 5 could possibly beat an iPhone 6 Plus in battery life in real-life usage because the iPhone barely uses power in standby mode.

enrico_rusli

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
We can see it on the s6 since they has nearly the same specs. The s6 has terrible battery life while the yesteryear's s5 has a good one so i think it's safe to conclude the note 5 will have worse battery life than note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
If the Note 5 battery can outlast the iPhone 6 Plus battery, I will eat my words and buy a Note 5. I don't see how a Note 5 could possibly beat an iPhone 6 Plus in battery life in real-life usage because the iPhone barely uses power in standby mode.

When the Note 5 is out, I wish someone can do a side-by-side test with the iPhone 6 Plus. For example, play the identical 1080p video in repeat mode using MX Player at 50% brightness and see which phone turns itself off first. :)

I did that using my S5 and S6. The S5 outlasted the S6 by more than 1 hour and 12 minutes.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I do not agree that fast charging is a sign of mediocore life.

My note 4 lasted a long day (12 hour shifts qith usage time on either side) and my droid turbo does the same.

However, a good example of battery size not being the final word is that in my experience the note4 and the droid turbo got roughly the same battery life out of a full charge.

The note4 is 3220mah and the droid turbo is 3900mah. Both phones set up about the same, there more standby drain on the turbo.

I am curious to see if the note5 can last the same as the note4, if the two phones are set up the same.

I dont believe we should have to turn off the cool features to get a full day. But i want to see if the new processor in the note5 gives it the same usage time as the 4.

If the battery wont last as long, ill have to pass on it, just my opinion.

jiwengang

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The only battery review that matters is your own real life experience. I have similar style ofnusing my phone and my phone go through similar area of cell coverage every day (thanks to the 9-7 job), iPhone 6 plus battery is almost twice as good as galaxy note 4. That's my verdict on my situation. Tough love for any Android phone since I put battery at very high importance .

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the S6 and iPhone 6 Plus right now, and there's really no comparison. I have to charge the S6 at least twice a day under moderate-heavy use, whereas I barely have to charge my iPhone 6 Plus once a day. Then again, the S6 charges much more quickly, so it's a tradeoff. The Note 5 will have a slightly bigger battery than the S6, but it also has a bigger screen, so it's hard to say for sure what battery life will be like. Still, even if we assume the Note 5 will not consume more battery because of the bigger screen, there's still no comparison. The iPhone 6 Plus battery life is just stellar, though it takes a long time to charge.

So what do you want? A phone that lasts all day but takes a long time to charge. Or a phone that may need to be charged mid-day but charges pretty quickly. There's an argument to be made for both. If you use the iPhone 6 Plus very heavily, you may still need to charge it mid-day and wait quite some time before it has a decent charge. Throw the S6 or Note 5 on a fast charger and it'll be very useful for hours again in a relatively short period of time. Add in the bonus of fast wireless charging and I'd still pick the Samsung for its other advantages.

Then again, we don't know what the iPhone 6S Plus will bring to the table next month...

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The choice between a fast charging phone that needs charged mire often vs a big battery that charges slower isn't really a good argument.

My note4 and my droid turbo both have all day batteries and both have fast charges. So the idea that its one or the other isn't valid.

You can have both, and it's not hard for the phone companies to do.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have not had the battery issues with my S6 that others are having. Here is my battery percentage remaining and my SOT.

1280e160cff0a5bcce4d38b53637019c.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB - AT&T
Speck Candyshell
ZAGG Tempered Glass

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When the Note 5 is out, I wish someone can do a side-by-side test with the iPhone 6 Plus. For example, play the identical 1080p video in repeat mode using MX Player at 50% brightness and see which phone turns itself off first. :)
Not great for a phone that doesn't have an easily replaceable battery. Dropping a lithium battery below 40% regularly will kill it fast. (One test is okay, but not real life, unless your phone spends most of its time playing videos at 1080p.) For $15 and 2 minutes to swap, that's not a big deal. For $45 (or more) and a week without the phone? I wouldn't do it.

BTW, fast charge and battery lifetime (not charge to charge time) are connected. If the battery is being "fast charged" at more than 1C, it;'s not going to last very long, so watch the charging current with fast charging with these smaller batteries. A 2200mAh battery being charged at 2500mA is in trouble.

General rule of thumb - for the same phone (IOW, you can't compare a Note 5 with an iPhone 4), iPhones are more battery efficient. A VM uses power that an iPhone doesn't have to waste.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
We won't know the answer to OP's question for probably about another month or more.

What I can say now is that my 6 Plus battery life is absolutely ridiculous and kills any Android handset I've ever owned. Standby is awesome. I can leave at 6AM with a 100% charge. If I don't touch my phone, even with so-so signal and no wi-fi, I'll still have 100% by noon, and sometimes later. Often that's with quick glances at texts, and checking email here and there. Not uncommon for me to get home with 95% in the evening after a pretty good amount of "light" usage.

What's better is that this has remained practically unscathed from updates since getting the phone last year. It's even faster than it was at launch too.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
We won't know the answer to OP's question for probably about another month or more.

What I can say now is that my 6 Plus battery life is absolutely ridiculous and kills any Android handset I've ever owned. Standby is awesome. I can leave at 6AM with a 100% charge. If I don't touch my phone, even with so-so signal and no wi-fi, I'll still have 100% by noon, and sometimes later. Often that's with quick glances at texts, and checking email here and there. Not uncommon for me to get home with 95% in the evening after a pretty good amount of "light" usage.

What's better is that this has remained practically unscathed from updates since getting the phone last year. It's even faster than it was at launch too.

Yeah, the standby time on the iPhone 6 Plus is stellar. I'm a much lighter user than you are; I only use my iPhone for tasks that I don't want to or can't do on my Android phones (Facetime or iMessage). I do those tasks only occasionally, though, and I only need to charge my iPhone once a week with my normal usage. Even then, the battery is still around 50% remaining.