08-18-2015 11:35 AM
239 1234 ...
tools
    Wow that's a GREAT solution never even knew something like that existed, problem solved!

Posted via Android Central App
    08-15-2015 06:08 AM
    I was looking around yesterday and saw that and it started me on a trail down the internet rabbit hole and I found a few other options too. This option is a little bigger but it allows you to connect a thumb drive also as well as a SD/MicroSD card. There's even another one out there that has HDMI connections.
    http://www.amazon.com/VIMVIP%C2%AE-Adapter-Reader-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00PKZ0NZM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1439638481&sr=8-5&keywords=micro+otg+card+reader
    Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards-61nerwc9fzl._sx425_.jpg
    08-15-2015 06:40 AM
    Isn't it funny that Samsung makes 128gb MicroSD cards but doesn't provide a MicroSD slot in its flagship phones?
    K3nshiro and alfstoria1 like this.
    08-15-2015 07:03 AM
    The difference would be that with Coke, the public revolted and they lost SUBSTANTIAL market share. With the Note, very few people even know that it is different, let alone care. The .01% of Samsung users that are the NO SD AND/OR NO REMOVABLE BATTERY = NO BUY crowd aren't going to cause a market share change of any kind.
    Really? Look at the sales of the s6. Sure it sold millions, but no where near what they were planning. And yes, samsungs market share has declined.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-15-2015 08:15 AM
    Really? Look at the sales of the s6. Sure it sold millions, but no where near what they were planning. And yes, samsungs market share has declined.

Sorry, I should have specified that I am referring to changes attributable to this or that feature. The ultra minority aren't causing a difference.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.
    feragola likes this.
    08-15-2015 08:22 AM
    Sorry, I should have specified that I am referring to changes attributable to this or that feature. The ultra minority aren't causing a difference.

And how do you know? People On these forums, and others, are the minority. The masses out there that look for these attributes aren't being counted on these polls as most of them don't visit tech sites or take polls.

Point is, Samsung will lose market share. It's a given. will it be be due to these lack of features? Maybe. But out of say 100,000 polled, these features mean nothing to most of them, but what about the other 5,000,000 that aren't polled that do care?

timmyisme22 likes this.
    08-15-2015 08:33 AM
    And how do you know? People On these forums, and others, are the minority. The masses out there that look for these attributes aren't being counted on these polls as most of them don't visit tech sites or take polls.

Point is, Samsung will lose market share. It's a given. will it be be due to these lack of features? Maybe. But out of say 100,000 polled, these features mean nothing to most of them, but what about the other 5,000,000 that aren't polled that do care?

The giveaway is that Samsung felt comfortable removing them. They're the ones with direct information about how their devices are used. It's not about polls, it's about the vast majority of normal people who probably don't know what micro SD is - let alone let its presence or absence be the sole determining factor in a purchase decision.

That last sentence is the only thing that matters in a market share conversation to rebuff the argument that losing this feature will cause substantial damage to Sammy's position. They're going to be fine and we have no evidence to suggest that they are reading their data incorrectly. This clearly wasn't a case of, "whoops, we forgot about those features!?" - but is very intentional and calculated. I'm sorry that you are not happy with the way it went - but it went there for a reason.

anon8380037 and feragola like this.
    08-15-2015 08:43 AM
    This is a crock of you know what. It's all about money, new streams of revenue, period. Samsung has watched Apple make astronomical amounts of money for more than 7 years now using this on board storage only model, even when memory cards were at the height of their popularity and a mainstay in every mobile device.
    There is a reason that Samsung is charging $100 per incremental increase of memory. If they are concerned about preparing for the future then start with a 64 gb base model and add another $50 for the 128gb model. Instead they have now priced their phones above Apple, whose prices were outrageous to begin with. Memory simply does not cost them nearly that much.
    Another thing is this cloud nonsense. Yes the cloud has its virtues but it is simply not a convenient technology right now, except for the phone manufacturers, storage companies, and carriers who are hoping to gouge the hell out of us. It's clearly the new age revenue stream for companies. The cloud is totally useless when you have no free WiFi or WiFi at all, when you have a bad signal or no signal, and downloading files takes a while even on a speedy connection. Not to mention if your available data is low, you will incurr additional charges. A blind man could see that this is a consolidated money grab and the next big thing as it relates to a new revenue stream for mobile related companies as well as others.
    Don't get me started on streaming music. Same applies with no signal or bad signal, no music or choppy, intermittent music. Not to mention that a lot of music services don't play what you listen to and certainly not in the order you would choose. A memory card takes cares of all of these issues and a lot more. A memory card may be a millisecond slower than onboard storage but is a million times faster and more convenient than the very best cloud storage. Maybe when high speed broadband is readily available everywhere, with no additional cost, cloud storage will make more sense. I speak from experience by the way, as it may differ from person to person. Please forgive any typos, as I wrote this on my Note 4, which I am keeping, the first time in my life I am not the first one in line on release day to upgrade.

08-15-2015 08:44 AM
    I don't think you can compare Coca-Cola to Samsung ,two different markets and totally different products
    Someone coined the New Coke analogy a few days ago and now everyone who dislikes the new Samsung direction is repeating it.
    08-15-2015 08:58 AM
    Do I think that Samsung is doing this as a business strategy? Yes. It's money in their pocket. I am accustomed to not using an SD card, though. I have had 2 Sandisks and a PNY fail on me, and personally, I have had enough of that.
    anon8380037 and feragola like this.
    08-15-2015 09:08 AM
    I can live without an SD card if there's enough storage in the first place that also doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

Until that happens, I'm still using them, and given how the largest mSD card is 512GB, we should be seeing much larger (and possibly faster) SD cards in the future, albeit at a pretty steep price when brand-new.

I'm not denying that the cloud is the future, but until we get a humongous data cap and a consistent network worldwide, the SD card is here to stay. The Moto X's inclusion of one when the last 2 didn't kinda says something.
    08-15-2015 09:54 AM
    Hate to break it to you but most of these old timers don't believe in the future lol they think SD cards and removable battery are the future. Nice read and I'm loving what Samsung has done to the note 5.
    Which very likely is why they are "old timers" and not "innovators" any longer.
    timmyisme22 likes this.
    08-15-2015 10:22 AM
    samsung isn't just a technology company LMAO they make washer dryers, refrigerators and other things.

I disagree. They don't make washers, dryers, refrigerators and other things. They make washers, dryers, refrigerators and other things that are part of the "internet of things", another words, products that are connected to the internet and the cloud and controlled by mobile devices.
    08-15-2015 10:26 AM
    Sure I can, two companies that made marketing mistakes. Coca Cola learned the value of listening to customers and correcting for market needs, lets see if Samsung learns this lesson.
    Coca Cola made a product no one wanted. Samsung has introduced a new innovative product which is not even in the public's hands yet. They may have made a mistake, or they may have made a brilliant new product. But until it has been on the market for a time the answer is unknown.
    08-15-2015 10:30 AM
    samsung isn't just a technology company LMAO they make washer dryers, refrigerators and other things.

Washers and dryers are technology.. seriously if you think otherwise go wash your clothes with the old hand turn washers and then go pin it up on the line outside to dry.

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
    ZAGG Tempered Glass
    AT&T
    08-15-2015 10:31 AM
    Probably. But the power user of the Note line, don't have the same reasons to stay. The average Note user, the one that rarely uses the S-Pen and only bought it because of the screen size, they may see the high price and decide to buy an iPhone 6s+ for the same price, since they may see more value in Apple, or save money and buy a Moto X Style. There is far more competition out there now for Samsung to compete against, they don't have the fanbase Apple has to be doing these things.
    This is exactly why the S6 edge+ has been offered. As Samsung stated, this second phone unpacked is directed specifically at the consumer that doesn't use the Note for work but instead for play. So now the consumer has two options, each optimized for the way the user wishes to use them.
    feragola likes this.
    08-15-2015 10:34 AM
    Bull Hockey

Samsung is pushing it's internal memory for financial gains, not for anything else.

5g is meaningless for the bulk of the world, and taking away the SD card will backlash on them.

There are new standards being developed to make SD cards as fast and reliable, not to mention giving almost unlimited swappable storage. The problem comes from the market and cheaper prices for SD cards, and Samsung not being able to compete in this,instead they make the change to fixed amounts of overpriced internal memory and charge premium prices for it,all the while counting on the masses jumping off the same cliff and believing that Samsung is doing this to push technology forward. What a frigging joke.

You can be gullible if you want to, but don't try to sell this crapola to me.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    Of course Samsung is pushing to make a profit. Every company is pushing to make a profit. The law requires that corporations make a profit for their shareholders. Which is exactly why car makers have new models every year that mostly change the body lines -- to make a profit.
    08-15-2015 10:40 AM
    Of course Samsung is pushing to make a profit. Every company is pushing to make a profit. The law requires that corporations make a profit for their shareholders. Which is exactly why car makers have new models every year that mostly change the body lines -- to make a profit.
    Right but cars are not phones. Who changed there car every year or follow Internet rumors for months leading up to the unveiling of a new car, each and every year? No one salivates over a new motor every year like one would a new speedy mobile processor per se.. A car is a long term investment, costing much, much more than the most expensive phones.. You get my drift..

08-15-2015 10:56 AM
    Other smartphones do 4k video right? So this isn't innovation by Samsung.
    Ok maybe 4K wasn't the best example, but you get my point lol
    08-15-2015 11:12 AM
    If samsung was the first company to dump sd cards i would say they are crazy. But its getting to be the norm, sort of.

Yes we want sd cards, but samusung sees the big apple hasn't been hurt by not using them, and it is something you can take out of the design equation.

I wish they would have kept them, even though i don't use them. I wish they wouldn't have put glass on the back, even apple got away from it.

I agree they went the wrong direction, but its obvious they don't care at this point. They see the change as positive and it's going to take a lot to change their mind.

While the note line was the "productive work phone" people bought it because of the great specs and screen, so samsung mistakenly figured they better shine it up.

08-15-2015 11:27 AM
    Ok maybe 4K wasn't the best example, but you get my point lol
    I get they have done stuff right in the past but it doesn't excuse them from mistakes. I'm all for innovation and awesome new things but if you drop the ball on something big I am not going to ignore it. Yes they were the first to go huge with phones and it worked so that's great but saying that means this SD card thing for some Note users isn't wrong due to their past moves that were correct? Doesn't make sense.

I personally don't care about SD or battery but some may so I can see why they're upset. I am just not going to dismiss their claims because of the rights Samsung has done in the past... But I also believe Samsung either saw it was better to go away and maybe make a few angry for the other majority or some other reason.. But I also have no doubt that reason is to get more cash since that is what businesses look at / go for.
    08-15-2015 11:30 AM
    I get they have done stuff right in the past but it doesn't excuse them from mistakes. I'm all for innovation and awesome new things but if you drop the ball on something big I am not going to ignore it. Yes they were the first to go huge with phones and it worked so that's great but saying that means this SD card thing for some Note users isn't wrong due to their past moves that were correct? Doesn't make sense.

I personally don't care about SD or battery but some may so I can see why they're upset. I am just not going to dismiss their claims because of the rights Samsung has done in the past... But I also believe Samsung either saw it was better to go away and maybe make a few angry for the other majority or some other reason.. But I also have no doubt that reason is to get more cash since that is what businesses look at / go for.
    Well its a risk-taking business I guess. You gotta risk/experiment and understand that it could either go up or down. I do know they have made mistakes, but me personally I don't know why they HAVE to put the SD Card in the Note series. The SD Card is not what made the Note so popular. It was the pen. So they improved on the pen and removed the SD Card and everyone goes beserk like it was the optimal feature of the Note series.

I mean I think people will get used to it, but if enough people complain, surely they will have to put it back
    08-15-2015 11:34 AM
    Well its a risk-taking business I guess. You gotta risk/experiment and understand that it could either go up or down. I do know they have made mistakes, but me personally I don't know why they HAVE to put the SD Card in the Note series. The SD Card is not what made the Note so popular. It was the pen. So they improved on the pen and removed the SD Card and everyone goes beserk like it was the optimal feature of the Note series.

I mean I think people will get used to it, but if enough people complain, surely they will have to put it back

Mainly people say have to because they want the feature that's always been there. No one likes when a feature you really like it taken out. Just like the other thread about the IR blaster.. I don't care that it doesn't have one but you do since you use the feature a lot. Same thing .

That said.. I don't mind no SD or Battery. I am not getting a Note but if I was that wouldn't matter to me. I am snagging a Moto (probably 32 GB) and I'll more than likely have no SD card in the SD slot.
    08-15-2015 11:43 AM
    Mainly people say have to because they want the feature that's always been there. No one likes when a feature you really like it taken out. Just like the other thread about the IR blaster.. I don't care that it doesn't have one but you do since you use the feature a lot. Same thing .

That said.. I don't mind no SD or Battery. I am not getting a Note but if I was that wouldn't matter to me. I am snagging a Moto (probably 32 GB) and I'll more than likely have no SD card in the SD slot.
    Well as for the IR Blaster, I mean yeah it was a useful feature to me, but its different than others saying its an automatic dealbreaker when that feature is not an optimal feature. To me thats saying that oh because the phone is not QHD or doesn't have themes then its an automatic dealbreaker. But really, I do understand why people are upset. I was shocked when Samsung decided to remove the SD Card. I think its something people will get used to overtime.
    08-15-2015 11:48 AM

lol wut ^

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    08-15-2015 11:48 AM
239 1234 ...