08-18-2015 11:35 AM
239 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Not what I said . HTC is hurting because they didn't listen to their customers and gimped their flagship phone here in the States. Their choices effected their sales.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    By gimped, what do you mean? Not offering features like removable batteries and SD card slots?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    08-16-2015 07:00 PM
    Here's my problem with no SD card. It seems I'm in the minority, but I like to have an SD card to store things for playback. Most of the cellphone companies don't offer much data anymore without charging an arm and a leg. Also, most airlines charge outrageous amounts of money for data. What if I want to watch a movie or listen to music on my flight or on the way to work? Streaming takes TONS of data. I live in a more rural area, and there aren't many wifi hot spots, nor is there wifi where I work, or on my way to work! That's why SD cards are nice. 32 GB doesn't hold much, and my memory fills up WAY too quickly. The cloud would be GREAT if I didn't cost so much to access it!!!!!! Not saying I don't like the cloud, I love it. I just don't want to pay to access my own stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KJ78 and recDNA like this.
    08-16-2015 07:07 PM
    All of these folks saying SD cards are old tech and should just be abandoned are out of there darn minds. The perfect comparison is SSD drives and spinning disk hard drives in computers. SSD's are clearly superior in performance but are no where near the capacity of spinning disk. The exact same thing applies to our phones. The internal UHS2.0 disk is equivalent to a SSD drive while the micro SD card is the same as a spinning disk.

At least in a desktop can add an additional drive without Dell or Microsoft dictating how or if I can use it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 07:16 PM
    What size SD cards are you all using?

128GB SanDisk Ultra

It's gonna take a lot for me to give that up.
    ABOSWORTH007 and recDNA like this.
    08-16-2015 07:29 PM
    My main gripe with the promotion of cloud storage is the constant paid bandwidth for access. Who can afford to be pulling down movies and music collections on their cellular data plans all the time? If the telcos were offering good unlimited data service at a reasonable price - maybe - it'd work. But I can't see the advantage...
    KJ78 likes this.
    08-16-2015 09:10 PM
    My main gripe with the promotion of cloud storage is the constant paid bandwidth for access. Who can afford to be pulling down movies and music collections on their cellular data plans all the time? If the telcos were offering good unlimited data service at a reasonable price - maybe - it'd work. But I can't see the advantage...
    Some do - just depends if they provide good service in your area.
    Laura Knotek and Aquila like this.
    08-16-2015 09:16 PM
    It really bums me out that Samsung is ditching SD cards. I was hoping they'd keep it in the Note 5. It does seem that SD cards are being phased out. I'll be sticking with phones that have it until the end. I had an S4, an S5 and switched to an HTC M9 because the S6 lacked the SD card. That was the 100% deal breaker for me. Otherwise I'd be rocking an S6 right now instead of an M9.
    08-16-2015 09:19 PM
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Meenova, folks. Dash micro, plug and go. They're dirt cheap and clip to your keychain, wear it on a piece of string around your neck. 😊
    These are neat but this is not an acceptable solution for me. I don't want to constantly have that thing plugged into phone when I'm listening to music on my runs or in the car. Plus, I wouldn't be able to charge my phone while listening to music in my car with this plugged in. This would be okay for movies when I'm at home but this seems like a step backward when we could have a micro SD card slot in the device. I have been using them for years and have never had any problems. It was one of the advantages that I saw for Android phones over iPhones.
    08-16-2015 09:24 PM
    This article would make more sense if it didn't apply to just Samsung(and iphones)...I notice plenty of other phones still with SD.(Like the LG G4 and Moto X pure) Seems like more of a reason (along with non removable batteries) for lower Samsung sales.
    08-16-2015 09:29 PM
    The problem here is, not everyone has access to data networks all the time, that means you can not access the cloud and retrieve your data when you need it or want it, and the other problem is that not everyone had unlimited data "when not around an open wifi network", when telcos start giving everyone unlimited data plans then their vision might come true, and being able to connect anywhere, from a mountain top, to remote places. This whole article makes no sense, what I see here is a money grab, it's what Apple has been doing forever, and Samsung is just following in their footsteps.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    08-16-2015 09:43 PM
    While not usually elegant, USB OTG can more than make up for the lack of SD card support.

08-16-2015 09:55 PM
    While not usually elegant, USB OTG can more than make up for the lack of SD card support.

That's the most elegant solution so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards-1439780666248.jpg  
    08-16-2015 10:04 PM
    Some do - just depends if they provide good service in your area.
    I'm still using Verizon's unlimited and its pretty cheap and blazing fast.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    KJ78 and recDNA like this.
    08-16-2015 10:15 PM
    @stackberry you had to quote the entire article to say that?
    08-16-2015 10:35 PM
    I'm still using Verizon's unlimited and its pretty cheap and blazing fast.

Same here... my Verizon unlimited plan consistently gets me at least 20mbps download speed. I have not seen anything lower than 20mbps in well over a year. Considering that I'm in a rural area, I'm quite happy with 20mbps. There is only one ISP in my area and their top speed is still 1.5mbps for $39 per month.
    08-16-2015 10:50 PM
    Really......?

And how did you come to know that fewer people use them than don't ?

I will save you the trouble...these oems that overcharge for fixed internal memory.

Look at the number of Android devices sold with them as opposed to those without. Apple doesn't count because those who use iPhone's have never been able to use them. Again this is 1 Oem that overcharges it's customers and has brainwashed the majority on that platform they don't need them and they should be glad to overpay to be worthy of using the device. All you have to do is look at the sales for the SD cards and you will see more people actually use them than don't.

Some of the manufacturers know that to sell devices they have to offer what everyone wants, not just a few. HTC is hurting because they didn't really listen to what was being said on this side of the pond, and gimped their USA phones by not releasing their real flagship here. Now accordingly Samsung is doing the same thing and mark my words if they don't release the dual sim phone that can use the SD card their sales will suffer greatly for it.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    well, considering there are 7 billion people on earth, I think it's safe to say 3.5 billion don't own SD cards.

seriously though, in 2012 SD cards were a $25 billion industry. I agree that it's a huge business and it's not going away anytime soon, but it still means less than half of people don't use SD cards.

There are approximately 1 billion Android users BTW. And I will admit that the number is WAY higher than I expected. I'd have guessed about 10% but obviously it's way higher.
    08-16-2015 10:53 PM
    well, considering there are 7 billion people on earth, I think it's safe to say 3.5 billion don't own SD cards. sorry I don't have a link to support that claim, and I know I'm going out on a limb there, but I have a feeling I might be right about that ... unless SanDisk puts out a press release that says otherwise.
    I think we should cool our heads for a bit before this site becomes "Removable Battery and SD card slot Central"
    08-16-2015 10:56 PM

A solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist and shouldn't exist.

Posted via the Android Central App
    KJ78 likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:59 PM
    I think we should cool our heads for a bit before this site becomes "Removable Battery and SD card slot Central"
    I was changing my wording (as I often do after reading my post) as you were probably typing this! was trying to be funny but realized I came across as a **** ... I'll disagree with his calculation, but his overall point is surprisingly accurate. I'd have never guessed the SD card industry was so huge.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    08-16-2015 11:02 PM
    Also keep in mind that the primary uses for SD cards is not smart phones. They are used more in photography and more traditional personal computers and have some strong relevance in those areas.

08-16-2015 11:06 PM
    I changed my wording! was on the internet getting some actual facts!
    Only saw that now. Sorry
    08-16-2015 11:08 PM
    Only saw that now. Sorry
    you're too quick, lol ... changed my second one too!! I shouldn't be typing, falling asleep and getting sloppy.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 and Aquila like this.
    08-16-2015 11:09 PM
    Also keep in mind that the primary uses for SD cards is not smart phones. They are used more in photography and more traditional personal computers and have some strong relevance in those areas.

good point. the problem is estimating what percentage of Android phones have SD cards.

I don't want to act like I'm disagreeing, and there no way to calculate who's right and who's wrong, I really don't care anyway so we'll agree to disagree.

The bigger point is there's a ton of Android users that use SD cards, certainly a lot more than I would've guessed after looking into the facts.
    08-16-2015 11:16 PM
    If we assume that half of all active Android devices are "low" to "mid" priced devices, it may be safe to assume that those devices may include SD card support to make up for lower specifications.

08-16-2015 11:21 PM
    There are a lot - and in markets where data is more limited, it is more important to have this option - similarly to markets that get many dual Sim devices while we get few to none.

08-16-2015 11:25 PM
239 ... 45678 ...