Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
corporate propaganda at its best. no SD slots equal additional on board storage which equals more money. they're a business, and I don't blame them, but in this instance it's about one thing and one thing only. very obvious they're simply spinning it off as being better for the consumer.

personally, 64GB is enough for me and any vital picture or video is on Dropbox, so I can live without SD cards, but it's simply a business decision, one that I and certainly no shareholder can really fault.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, it records in 4K, sounds like that will take more storage space. I guess with the new phone plans that will cause Note 5 users to either pay for a higher data plan to store these larger files on a "cloud" or hook up to an alternative storage device at home to download them. I guess the newer phones that come out with sd card slots will simply store them on the 256 GB sd cards. Bill Gates, another technical innovator, said that 640K of memory is all that anybody with a computer would ever need, of course we know different now. It's a profit driven idea, so if the future of Samsung is all about profits, then you can expect a lot of "change we can believe in". Oh, apparently the SD card matters to 63% of those polled on Android Central. That doesn't even include the question of access to the removable battery.

Android Central Poll: Does the SD card matter?
31% No sd card = not going to buy it
32% Yes
31% No

http://www.androidcentral.com/weekly-poll-results-does-microsd-slot-still-matter

Last edited:

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Meenova, folks. Dash micro, plug and go. They're dirt cheap and clip to your keychain, wear it on a piece of string around your neck. 😊

Attachments

• 1439635402467.jpg
    1439635402467.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 95

Davenurse

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's a GREAT solution never even knew something like that existed, problem solved!

Posted via Android Central App

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

The difference would be that with Coke, the public revolted and they lost SUBSTANTIAL market share. With the Note, very few people even know that it is different, let alone care. The .01% of Samsung users that are the NO SD AND/OR NO REMOVABLE BATTERY = NO BUY crowd aren't going to cause a market share change of any kind.

Really? Look at the sales of the s6. Sure it sold millions, but no where near what they were planning. And yes, samsungs market share has declined.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Really? Look at the sales of the s6. Sure it sold millions, but no where near what they were planning. And yes, samsungs market share has declined.

Sorry, I should have specified that I am referring to changes attributable to this or that feature. The ultra minority aren't causing a difference.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I should have specified that I am referring to changes attributable to this or that feature. The ultra minority aren't causing a difference.

And how do you know? People On these forums, and others, are the minority. The masses out there that look for these attributes aren't being counted on these polls as most of them don't visit tech sites or take polls.

Point is, Samsung will lose market share. It's a given. will it be be due to these lack of features? Maybe. But out of say 100,000 polled, these features mean nothing to most of them, but what about the other 5,000,000 that aren't polled that do care?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

And how do you know? People On these forums, and others, are the minority. The masses out there that look for these attributes aren't being counted on these polls as most of them don't visit tech sites or take polls.

Point is, Samsung will lose market share. It's a given. will it be be due to these lack of features? Maybe. But out of say 100,000 polled, these features mean nothing to most of them, but what about the other 5,000,000 that aren't polled that do care?

The giveaway is that Samsung felt comfortable removing them. They're the ones with direct information about how their devices are used. It's not about polls, it's about the vast majority of normal people who probably don't know what micro SD is - let alone let its presence or absence be the sole determining factor in a purchase decision.

That last sentence is the only thing that matters in a market share conversation to rebuff the argument that losing this feature will cause substantial damage to Sammy's position. They're going to be fine and we have no evidence to suggest that they are reading their data incorrectly. This clearly wasn't a case of, "whoops, we forgot about those features!?" - but is very intentional and calculated. I'm sorry that you are not happy with the way it went - but it went there for a reason.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This is a crock of you know what. It's all about money, new streams of revenue, period. Samsung has watched Apple make astronomical amounts of money for more than 7 years now using this on board storage only model, even when memory cards were at the height of their popularity and a mainstay in every mobile device.
There is a reason that Samsung is charging $100 per incremental increase of memory. If they are concerned about preparing for the future then start with a 64 gb base model and add another $50 for the 128gb model. Instead they have now priced their phones above Apple, whose prices were outrageous to begin with. Memory simply does not cost them nearly that much.
Another thing is this cloud nonsense. Yes the cloud has its virtues but it is simply not a convenient technology right now, except for the phone manufacturers, storage companies, and carriers who are hoping to gouge the hell out of us. It's clearly the new age revenue stream for companies. The cloud is totally useless when you have no free WiFi or WiFi at all, when you have a bad signal or no signal, and downloading files takes a while even on a speedy connection. Not to mention if your available data is low, you will incurr additional charges. A blind man could see that this is a consolidated money grab and the next big thing as it relates to a new revenue stream for mobile related companies as well as others.
Don't get me started on streaming music. Same applies with no signal or bad signal, no music or choppy, intermittent music. Not to mention that a lot of music services don't play what you listen to and certainly not in the order you would choose. A memory card takes cares of all of these issues and a lot more. A memory card may be a millisecond slower than onboard storage but is a million times faster and more convenient than the very best cloud storage. Maybe when high speed broadband is readily available everywhere, with no additional cost, cloud storage will make more sense. I speak from experience by the way, as it may differ from person to person. Please forgive any typos, as I wrote this on my Note 4, which I am keeping, the first time in my life I am not the first one in line on release day to upgrade.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't think you can compare Coca-Cola to Samsung :D ,two different markets and totally different products

Someone coined the New Coke analogy a few days ago and now everyone who dislikes the new Samsung direction is repeating it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Do I think that Samsung is doing this as a business strategy? Yes. It's money in their pocket. I am accustomed to not using an SD card, though. I have had 2 Sandisks and a PNY fail on me, and personally, I have had enough of that.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I can live without an SD card if there's enough storage in the first place that also doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

Until that happens, I'm still using them, and given how the largest mSD card is 512GB, we should be seeing much larger (and possibly faster) SD cards in the future, albeit at a pretty steep price when brand-new.

I'm not denying that the cloud is the future, but until we get a humongous data cap and a consistent network worldwide, the SD card is here to stay. The Moto X's inclusion of one when the last 2 didn't kinda says something.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hate to break it to you but most of these old timers don't believe in the future lol they think SD cards and removable battery are the future. Nice read and I'm loving what Samsung has done to the note 5.

Which very likely is why they are "old timers" and not "innovators" any longer. :p

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
samsung isn't just a technology company LMAO they make washer dryers, refrigerators and other things.

I disagree. They don't make washers, dryers, refrigerators and other things. They make washers, dryers, refrigerators and other things that are part of the "internet of things", another words, products that are connected to the internet and the cloud and controlled by mobile devices.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Sure I can, two companies that made marketing mistakes. Coca Cola learned the value of listening to customers and correcting for market needs, lets see if Samsung learns this lesson.

Coca Cola made a product no one wanted. Samsung has introduced a new innovative product which is not even in the public's hands yet. They may have made a mistake, or they may have made a brilliant new product. But until it has been on the market for a time the answer is unknown.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
samsung isn't just a technology company LMAO they make washer dryers, refrigerators and other things.

Washers and dryers are technology.. seriously if you think otherwise go wash your clothes with the old hand turn washers and then go pin it up on the line outside to dry.

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
ZAGG Tempered Glass
AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams