Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

Probably. But the power user of the Note line, don't have the same reasons to stay. The average Note user, the one that rarely uses the S-Pen and only bought it because of the screen size, they may see the high price and decide to buy an iPhone 6s+ for the same price, since they may see more value in Apple, or save money and buy a Moto X Style. There is far more competition out there now for Samsung to compete against, they don't have the fanbase Apple has to be doing these things.

This is exactly why the S6 edge+ has been offered. As Samsung stated, this second phone unpacked is directed specifically at the consumer that doesn't use the Note for work but instead for play. So now the consumer has two options, each optimized for the way the user wishes to use them.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Bull Hockey

Samsung is pushing it's internal memory for financial gains, not for anything else.

5g is meaningless for the bulk of the world, and taking away the SD card will backlash on them.

There are new standards being developed to make SD cards as fast and reliable, not to mention giving almost unlimited swappable storage. The problem comes from the market and cheaper prices for SD cards, and Samsung not being able to compete in this,instead they make the change to fixed amounts of overpriced internal memory and charge premium prices for it,all the while counting on the masses jumping off the same cliff and believing that Samsung is doing this to push technology forward. What a frigging joke.

You can be gullible if you want to, but don't try to sell this crapola to me.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Of course Samsung is pushing to make a profit. Every company is pushing to make a profit. The law requires that corporations make a profit for their shareholders. Which is exactly why car makers have new models every year that mostly change the body lines -- to make a profit.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Of course Samsung is pushing to make a profit. Every company is pushing to make a profit. The law requires that corporations make a profit for their shareholders. Which is exactly why car makers have new models every year that mostly change the body lines -- to make a profit.

Right but cars are not phones. Who changed there car every year or follow Internet rumors for months leading up to the unveiling of a new car, each and every year? No one salivates over a new motor every year like one would a new speedy mobile processor per se.. A car is a long term investment, costing much, much more than the most expensive phones.. You get my drift..

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
If samsung was the first company to dump sd cards i would say they are crazy. But its getting to be the norm, sort of.

Yes we want sd cards, but samusung sees the big apple hasn't been hurt by not using them, and it is something you can take out of the design equation.

I wish they would have kept them, even though i don't use them. I wish they wouldn't have put glass on the back, even apple got away from it.

I agree they went the wrong direction, but its obvious they don't care at this point. They see the change as positive and it's going to take a lot to change their mind.

While the note line was the "productive work phone" people bought it because of the great specs and screen, so samsung mistakenly figured they better shine it up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok maybe 4K wasn't the best example, but you get my point lol

I get they have done stuff right in the past but it doesn't excuse them from mistakes. I'm all for innovation and awesome new things but if you drop the ball on something big I am not going to ignore it. Yes they were the first to go huge with phones and it worked so that's great but saying that means this SD card thing for some Note users isn't wrong due to their past moves that were correct? Doesn't make sense.

I personally don't care about SD or battery but some may so I can see why they're upset. I am just not going to dismiss their claims because of the rights Samsung has done in the past... But I also believe Samsung either saw it was better to go away and maybe make a few angry for the other majority or some other reason.. But I also have no doubt that reason is to get more cash since that is what businesses look at / go for.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I get they have done stuff right in the past but it doesn't excuse them from mistakes. I'm all for innovation and awesome new things but if you drop the ball on something big I am not going to ignore it. Yes they were the first to go huge with phones and it worked so that's great but saying that means this SD card thing for some Note users isn't wrong due to their past moves that were correct? Doesn't make sense.

I personally don't care about SD or battery but some may so I can see why they're upset. I am just not going to dismiss their claims because of the rights Samsung has done in the past... But I also believe Samsung either saw it was better to go away and maybe make a few angry for the other majority or some other reason.. But I also have no doubt that reason is to get more cash since that is what businesses look at / go for.

Well its a risk-taking business I guess. You gotta risk/experiment and understand that it could either go up or down. I do know they have made mistakes, but me personally I don't know why they HAVE to put the SD Card in the Note series. The SD Card is not what made the Note so popular. It was the pen. So they improved on the pen and removed the SD Card and everyone goes beserk like it was the optimal feature of the Note series.

I mean I think people will get used to it, but if enough people complain, surely they will have to put it back

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well its a risk-taking business I guess. You gotta risk/experiment and understand that it could either go up or down. I do know they have made mistakes, but me personally I don't know why they HAVE to put the SD Card in the Note series. The SD Card is not what made the Note so popular. It was the pen. So they improved on the pen and removed the SD Card and everyone goes beserk like it was the optimal feature of the Note series.

I mean I think people will get used to it, but if enough people complain, surely they will have to put it back

Mainly people say have to because they want the feature that's always been there. No one likes when a feature you really like it taken out. Just like the other thread about the IR blaster.. I don't care that it doesn't have one but you do since you use the feature a lot. Same thing :).

That said.. I don't mind no SD or Battery. I am not getting a Note but if I was that wouldn't matter to me. I am snagging a Moto (probably 32 GB) and I'll more than likely have no SD card in the SD slot.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Mainly people say have to because they want the feature that's always been there. No one likes when a feature you really like it taken out. Just like the other thread about the IR blaster.. I don't care that it doesn't have one but you do since you use the feature a lot. Same thing :).

That said.. I don't mind no SD or Battery. I am not getting a Note but if I was that wouldn't matter to me. I am snagging a Moto (probably 32 GB) and I'll more than likely have no SD card in the SD slot.

Well as for the IR Blaster, I mean yeah it was a useful feature to me, but its different than others saying its an automatic dealbreaker when that feature is not an optimal feature. To me thats saying that oh because the phone is not QHD or doesn't have themes then its an automatic dealbreaker. But really, I do understand why people are upset. I was shocked when Samsung decided to remove the SD Card. I think its something people will get used to overtime.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

lol wut ^

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
This seems contrary to all information released so far. What's this based on?

I agree with this.. but

So far there has been no backlash and none is expected now.

There are? Like what?

This seems to be a restatement of the original premise - still confused on why you think this. Over the last several years the industry has been steadily moving away from SD cards due to the security concerns, unreliability and the general degradation of an already poor experience (slowing down devices, causing software bugs that otherwise don't exist, users losing data, memories, etc). Samsung, apparently just like all of the other OEM's, seems to have looked at their research and made a business decision based on the massive volume of users that do not care about this feature - at all.

Coupled with the restrictions that Android already and will continue to place on this media, the amount of expense that Samsung has to sink into this feature is surely not worth it - given the concept that most users don't even seem to know whether or not a device has an SD card slot, let alone have any intention of making a purchase decision based on that one feature. The four highest selling devices of 2015 will not have this feature - and losing .01% of potential users, half of whom are going to get over it and realize that they can survive on 64GB - isn't a risk even worth considering - let alone crippling their strategy for.

Because they charge more for their internal memory.

You are living with blinders on if you think there is no backlash happening. Try actually looking at what people are saying who not only have been loyal Note users but others as well.

Seriously. ...you think people aren't aware of the SD card? Your sadly mistaken.
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...card-as-technology-marks-10-year-anniversary/

People are not going to get over having to pay more for less. As far as Samsung not investing in the SD card, they have been all along and still are, but can not compete against the likes of Scan Disk and the prices they sell for. The technology hasn't stopped, but growing

Here's something else since you think SD cards are dead...
http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/desig...ture-Speed-and-Capacity-meet-Reliability.aspx

The SD card business is steadily moving forward and allowing the consumer resonably priced solutions that the oems like Samsung and Apple hate because it allows more storage for what they could even dream of charging for their "better " solution and this technology is pushing all kinds of phone technology forward.

Samsungs vision is to copy Apple's business model and become as profitable.There is nothing wrong with that, however the problem is that the majority of Android users demand choices and will reject those oems who don't listen to us. HTC is the latest victim of this, and Samsung will be as well in time. Why do you think that the Asian market has the capabilities to use a SD card? Funny that their core group still has the capabilities. ..why do you think that is. ......?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...e-dual-sim-note-5-takes-microsd-cards-1301923

Camera technology is not slowing down and the need for larger storage will become even greater in the near future. Samsung is trying to have the largest ROI by forcing higher priced internal memory. There is absolutely no other reason than this. Most all top tier phones have the capability of utilizing up to 2 TB right now why else would a company elect to gimp their phones? To blindly believe that they are doing this to push technology forward is a joke. Theyare loosing market share and even though they are making good money, they are still loosing money they could have been earning. Add their other looses and those yet to come from their legal troubles, it belies common sense to belive the rubbish you are saying.

There's a old saying we often used in the military back in the 70s went like this. ..don't pee down my back and say it's warm rain...meaning don't try to sell this nonsense to folks who know better. It doesn't work.

Cloud services works fine for some, but for the majority of the world it doesn't quite work out that way, and to propagate a need to use it like Samsung and Apple are doing is bs. Don't say that SD card technology is outdated because that is total fud,it's not outdated it's advancing and becoming greater than it has ever been.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
This is what I use now a day. U can use it via WiFi and has an micro SD card slot in it. I purchased this a few years ago so that I can transfer files to and from my ipad for work purposes. U can stream videos and pics to ur phone or tablet. I much rather use this than to rely on cloud storage. I don't want my personal info out there like that.

Attachments

• 1439658890923.jpg
    1439658890923.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1439658985342.jpg
    1439658985342.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 57

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hate to break it to you but most of these old timers don't believe in the future lol they think SD cards and removable battery are the future. Nice read and I'm loving what Samsung has done to the note 5.

SD cards aren't required, but when you remove my storage option and replace it with expensive cloud/data consumption there is a problem. 32gb internal memory with a 128gb card is way better than 32gb internal and cloud storage.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
How many of you have actually held and used this phone? There's an awful lot of speculation in this thread. It is nice to read different opinions on the direction Samsung has decided to go. Heres my two cents:
Samsung did listen, how so you may ask? Every year people complained about the cheap plastic build. So Samsung finally delivers a top notch device with impeccable build. I played with one last night for 20 min or so. The build quality is very nice. Feels very solid and comfortable in my hand.
Performance wise I experienced Zero lag! That's right, everything was snappy. Recent apps pops up instantly. This always annoyed me with my Note 4. Every app I opened was instantaneous. (I realize this is w/o any apps inatalled) But the N5 was very fluid.
The biggest qualm with me is the battery. I've always had a spare battery and charger for when I got home from work. Of the 3 note phones I've owned so far with the N4 I rarely had to change my battery. So this may not be an issue for me.
Lack of external storage is disappointing, but with a few minor changes with how I use storage I'll probably be fine.
So, after my brief time last night I placed my pre-order. It seems with the overall tone of negativity I won't have to worry about lines. 😆

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that they did listen and delivered what most customers want.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Right but cars are not phones. Who changed there car every year or follow Internet rumors for months leading up to the unveiling of a new car, each and every year? No one salivates over a new motor every year like one would a new speedy mobile processor per se.. A car is a long term investment, costing much, much more than the most expensive phones.. You get my drift..

Again, in my opinion your conclusion is incorrect. Millions of folks do in fact purchase a car every year millions more every 2 years. Millions go to the big auto shows around the world and hang on every rumor of automobile improvements and innovations. Mobile phones are no different than any other product with yearly model cycles. And certainly the companies all are working to make a profit, that is what commerce is all about.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Do I think that Samsung is doing this as a business strategy? Yes. It's money in their pocket. I am accustomed to not using an SD card, though. I have had 2 Sandisks and a PNY fail on me, and personally, I have had enough of that.
Yup. I had one corrupt on me and I lost pictures and videos of my daughter's first birthday. That was AWESOME! I'm not against SD cards, but you'd think they pooped out golden eggs or something around here.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Probably. But the power user of the Note line, don't have the same reasons to stay. The average Note user, the one that rarely uses the S-Pen and only bought it because of the screen size, they may see the high price and decide to buy an iPhone 6s+ for the same price, since they may see more value in Apple, or save money and buy a Moto X Style. There is far more competition out there now for Samsung to compete against, they don't have the fanbase Apple has to be doing these things.

I bought the Note 4 because of the screen size. I don't care about the spen and a non removable battery and no sd card doesn't bother me.

However I will never buy a iPhone because I can't do a damn thing with it customization wise.

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Because they charge more for their internal memory.

You are living with blinders on if you think there is no backlash happening. Try actually looking at what people are saying who not only have been loyal Note users but others as well.

Seriously. ...you think people aren't aware of the SD card? Your sadly mistaken.
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...card-as-technology-marks-10-year-anniversary/

People are not going to get over having to pay more for less. As far as Samsung not investing in the SD card, they have been all along and still are, but can not compete against the likes of Scan Disk and the prices they sell for. The technology hasn't stopped, but growing

Here's something else since you think SD cards are dead...
http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/desig...ture-Speed-and-Capacity-meet-Reliability.aspx

The SD card business is steadily moving forward and allowing the consumer resonably priced solutions that the oems like Samsung and Apple hate because it allows more storage for what they could even dream of charging for their "better " solution and this technology is pushing all kinds of phone technology forward.

Samsungs vision is to copy Apple's business model and become as profitable.There is nothing wrong with that, however the problem is that the majority of Android users demand choices and will reject those oems who don't listen to us. HTC is the latest victim of this, and Samsung will be as well in time. Why do you think that the Asian market has the capabilities to use a SD card? Funny that their core group still has the capabilities. ..why do you think that is. ......?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...e-dual-sim-note-5-takes-microsd-cards-1301923

Camera technology is not slowing down and the need for larger storage will become even greater in the near future. Samsung is trying to have the largest ROI by forcing higher priced internal memory. There is absolutely no other reason than this. Most all top tier phones have the capability of utilizing up to 2 TB right now why else would a company elect to gimp their phones? To blindly believe that they are doing this to push technology forward is a joke. Theyare loosing market share and even though they are making good money, they are still loosing money they could have been earning. Add their other looses and those yet to come from their legal troubles, it belies common sense to belive the rubbish you are saying.

There's a old saying we often used in the military back in the 70s went like this. ..don't pee down my back and say it's warm rain...meaning don't try to sell this nonsense to folks who know better. It doesn't work.

Cloud services works fine for some, but for the majority of the world it doesn't quite work out that way, and to propagate a need to use it like Samsung and Apple are doing is bs. Don't say that SD card technology is outdated because that is total fud,it's not outdated it's advancing and becoming greater than it has ever been.

Woozers, damn good post. My exact sentiments..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007