Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
corporate propaganda at its best. no SD slots equal additional on board storage which equals more money. they're a business, and I don't blame them, but in this instance it's about one thing and one thing only. very obvious they're simply spinning it off as being better for the consumer.

personally, 64GB is enough for me and any vital picture or video is on Dropbox, so I can live without SD cards, but it's simply a business decision, one that I and certainly no shareholder can really fault.

except You aren't getting 64gb after the OS gets it's cut

Posted via the Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Washers and dryers are technology.. seriously if you think otherwise go wash your clothes with the old hand turn washers and then go pin it up on the line outside to dry.

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB
ZAGG Tempered Glass
AT&T

can You install a SD card in a washer dryer? LMAO

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
SD cards aren't required, but when you remove my storage option and replace it with expensive cloud/data consumption there is a problem. 32gb internal memory with a 128gb card is way better than 32gb internal and cloud storage.

For you.

Not for everyone.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

This is exactly why the S6 edge+ has been offered. As Samsung stated, this second phone unpacked is directed specifically at the consumer that doesn't use the Note for work but instead for play. So now the consumer has two options, each optimized for the way the user wishes to use them.

It's a higher priced phone. It has a unique look, but again, these regular users may see more value in an iPhone or they may opt for the cheaper Moto X. Users are not tied down to just the Note 5 and GS6 Edge +, there are more choices now than years ago.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
can You install a SD card in a washer dryer? LMAO

A washer and dryer have motherboards. To me that is technology. I seriously hope you are kidding.

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB - AT&T
Speck Candyshell
ZAGG Tempered Glass

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

It's a higher priced phone. It has a unique look, but again, these regular users may see more value in an iPhone or they may opt for the cheaper Moto X. Users are not tied down to just the Note 5 and GS6 Edge +, there are more choices now than years ago.

Absolutely. And fortunately, a top of the line Samsung phone is among the choices.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
SD cards aren't required, but when you remove my storage option and replace it with expensive cloud/data consumption there is a problem. 32gb internal memory with a 128gb card is way better than 32gb internal and cloud storage.

The benefit about the cloud though is that our data is less likely to get lost and corrupted, and much more accessible in other locations. With the SD Card, you have to carry it with you wherever you go, and it can easily be damaged, for example, in heat or water.

What if you phone gets stolen with your MicroSD card in it? There is no way to recover your data unless you have a backup somewhere. Cloud you can always access your data. And cloud is NOT expensive at all. And for those that say you may be in a place with low signal. Nowadays, its not really that hard to get to some wifi or data point.

I think its better to have local storage, and cloud as a backup rather than a MicroSD card as your local storage.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a crock of you know what. It's all about money, new streams of revenue, period. Samsung has watched Apple make astronomical amounts of money for more than 7 years now using this on board storage only model, even when memory cards were at the height of their popularity and a mainstay in every mobile device.
There is a reason that Samsung is charging $100 per incremental increase of memory. If they are concerned about preparing for the future then start with a 64 gb base model and add another $50 for the 128gb model. Instead they have now priced their phones above Apple, whose prices were outrageous to begin with. Memory simply does not cost them nearly that much.

Yep, it's all about the money:

The biggest cell phone ripoff: $100 for 32 GB of storage - Aug. 14, 2015

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
give the option. let people chose. it would have been easy for samsung to add the sd, ir, and rem storage. they just didn't because they are concerned about apple... they rushed the note 5. it' offers very little over the note 4 and tbh, it's a poor choice if you have a note 4. it would be almost idiotic to upgrade. you'd gain a little speed and give up so much utilty. even the latest macbooks have sd.

no usb c... rushing.... they flat out blew the note 5 like they blew the s5... this is clear. if you just have to have the latest... go for it. but it is not wise.

i honset think that if they were planning to do this bulls---, they could have done a limited run Note "pro" or something like that with beaslty stuff we expect from the note line.... what they've just done is make the note line irrelevant and it show through their own actions... the s6e+ take priority over the note and the note is seeing a limited release... they just killed the note.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
One thing I found interesting was this:

"Google will allow you to still have your microSD card, but your microSD card will be encrypted and restricted to only one device. "

I didn't know Google was planning to do this

I don't bother encrypting my card on my device as I like to transfer content often between computers and devices. It's a bit of a pain to encrypt then decrypt again.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
give the option... that simple. my little $800 isn't hurting samsung, but they aren't getting my money this go round. i paid $750+tax for my note edge and 50 more + tax for oem qi back plate and spare battery kit last year. love it. was willing to pay 1000 for a dual sided note edge spec'd out the same... what did we get two fake iphones. no thank you. lg, moto, or some unknown will get the sale now.

cvaria

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
This is what I use now a day. U can use it via WiFi and has an micro SD card slot in it. I purchased this a few years ago so that I can transfer files to and from my ipad for work purposes. U can stream videos and pics to ur phone or tablet. I much rather use this than to rely on cloud storage. I don't want my personal info out there like that.

you have to carry it. it shuts off when plugged in to a usb port, it need to be charged.... it's a fail.

i bought one for my car hoping to transfer music from the house without dragging in the drive... turn off the minute you plug it in anything. fail.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Because they charge more for their internal memory.

You are living with blinders on if you think there is no backlash happening. Try actually looking at what people are saying who not only have been loyal Note users but others as well.

Seriously. ...you think people aren't aware of the SD card? Your sadly mistaken.
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...card-as-technology-marks-10-year-anniversary/

People are not going to get over having to pay more for less. As far as Samsung not investing in the SD card, they have been all along and still are, but can not compete against the likes of Scan Disk and the prices they sell for. The technology hasn't stopped, but growing

Here's something else since you think SD cards are dead...
http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/desig...ture-Speed-and-Capacity-meet-Reliability.aspx

The SD card business is steadily moving forward and allowing the consumer resonably priced solutions that the oems like Samsung and Apple hate because it allows more storage for what they could even dream of charging for their "better " solution and this technology is pushing all kinds of phone technology forward.

Samsungs vision is to copy Apple's business model and become as profitable.There is nothing wrong with that, however the problem is that the majority of Android users demand choices and will reject those oems who don't listen to us. HTC is the latest victim of this, and Samsung will be as well in time. Why do you think that the Asian market has the capabilities to use a SD card? Funny that their core group still has the capabilities. ..why do you think that is. ......?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...e-dual-sim-note-5-takes-microsd-cards-1301923

Camera technology is not slowing down and the need for larger storage will become even greater in the near future. Samsung is trying to have the largest ROI by forcing higher priced internal memory. There is absolutely no other reason than this. Most all top tier phones have the capability of utilizing up to 2 TB right now why else would a company elect to gimp their phones? To blindly believe that they are doing this to push technology forward is a joke. Theyare loosing market share and even though they are making good money, they are still loosing money they could have been earning. Add their other looses and those yet to come from their legal troubles, it belies common sense to belive the rubbish you are saying.

There's a old saying we often used in the military back in the 70s went like this. ..don't pee down my back and say it's warm rain...meaning don't try to sell this nonsense to folks who know better. It doesn't work.

Cloud services works fine for some, but for the majority of the world it doesn't quite work out that way, and to propagate a need to use it like Samsung and Apple are doing is bs. Don't say that SD card technology is outdated because that is total fud,it's not outdated it's advancing and becoming greater than it has ever been.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Hit the nail on the head.

Honestly, I'll be pretty dang pissed if the Note 5 has a dual-SIM variant that has an SD slot.

For me, if I were to get a Note 5, I'll probably wait for Incipio to release the Note 5 version of the OffGRID case that they made for the S6.

I've said it so many times and I'll say it again.

I can live without an SD card if there's a large capacity option that doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

I would buy the Zenfone 2 Deluxe 128GB and it probably won't have an SD card inside, even though it has one.

Last edited:

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
you have to carry it. it shuts off when plugged in to a usb port, it need to be charged.... it's a fail.

i bought one for my car hoping to transfer music from the house without dragging in the drive... turn off the minute you plug it in anything. fail.

Um? Don't u need to carry your phone as well? It fits in your small pant pocket, not sure what ur Point is. And why would u need to have it plugged in all the time? I only plug it in To charge it or to transfer stuff to and from my cpu. I transfer what I want then turn it off. The charge on mine lasts a long time. Its not designed for car stereos, they're not smart enough to charge it and use it like a cpu does. Maybe u had a faulty one but it's definitely not a fail in my eyes. Works perfectly for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol