Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

I had a friend who had every picture from when her daughter was born a few years ago to the honey moon they took on her phone with no sd card. It went black, and never booted again. I hooked it up to a computer, and the phone could not be seen. She used internal phone memory for everything, may it all rest in piece.
How hard is it to hook your phone to a PC and copy everything over? Those that don't backup their stuff are doomed to lose it.

And what if the SD card had gone bad, and they lost all their stuff? No matter if you have data on a phone, PC, or tablet, backing up is key. Don't go crying the blues when you rely on ONE device to hold all of your stuff and it dies. If you don't backup, you lose.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
What a poorly written article ripe with corporate propaganda. And the source...Sammobile? Of course they're going to be praising Samsung over the lack of expandable storage. It's a pro-Samsung website.

The biggest problem with the article: very few people have unlimited data with their phone plans. Streaming movies and music on cell service will eat up my 3GB of data/month in no time.

De Venton

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Propaganda designed to brainwash the masses into paying for cloud storage and more 4G bandwidth. Free your mind youngsters and don't be a mule you easily lead automatons.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

How hard is it to hook your phone to a PC and copy everything over? Those that don't backup their stuff are doomed to lose it.

And what if the SD card had gone bad, and they lost all their stuff? No matter if you have data on a phone, PC, or tablet, backing up is key. Don't go crying the blues when you rely on ONE device to hold all of your stuff and it dies. If you don't backup, you lose.

Call me a storage freak, but I have a bazillion storage options for my G4 alone. There are just a few
  • My 150GB Google Drive
  • Google Photos unlimited backup
  • My 1TB gaming PC and 250GB MacBook Pro
  • My 128GB SanDisk Ultra microSD card
  • My 32GB SanDisk Ultra OTG Drive
  • A 1TB WD My Book external hard-drive
  • My OneDrive
And there's more. I'm crazy

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Meenova, folks. Dash micro, plug and go. They're dirt cheap and clip to your keychain, wear it on a piece of string around your neck. ??????

What'll they think of next? A three-inch-long dongle to carry with us so we can plug it in and get online?

I'm frankly appalled. In spite of living in a very heavily populated region (by US standards), I've never once lived in a place where I've had consistently reliable 3G, 4G or LTE connectivity. How can Samsung even think of doing this when so many places in the world don't even have good 4G connectivity, or even 3G?

I'm the one who always wonders, whenever I see a carrier or OEM commercial on TV, where the hell these people live that they can download and watch movies on the mobile network...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What'll they think of next? A three-inch-long dongle to carry with us so we can plug it in and get online?

I'm frankly appalled. In spite of living in a very heavily populated region (by US standards), I've never once lived in a place where I've had consistently reliable 3G, 4G or LTE connectivity. How can Samsung even think of doing this when so many places in the world don't even have good 4G connectivity, or even 3G?

I'm the one who always wonders, whenever I see a carrier or OEM commercial on TV, where the hell these people live that they can download and watch movies on the mobile network...

Well, Incipio has a pretty bulky case that has a large external battery and a microSD card slot for the S6 called the offGRID.

They might make one for the Note 5.

Not the most elegant solution but if all phones do away with the SD card slot, it's what I'd use.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There are other phones that give you those options. If you want those options, bring your wallet over there.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Propaganda designed to brainwash the masses into paying for cloud storage and more 4G bandwidth. Free your mind youngsters and don't be a mule you easily lead automatons.

Or just buy another phone.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
This is what I use now a day. U can use it via WiFi and has an micro SD card slot in it. I purchased this a few years ago so that I can transfer files to and from my ipad for work purposes. U can stream videos and pics to ur phone or tablet. I much rather use this than to rely on cloud storage. I don't want my personal info out there like that.

Please provide link. I like that. Nevermind, I found it on Amazon and just purchased.

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I use google drive for work only, and Verizon cloud for my contacts, and that's it.

I have an OTG cable for flash drives, and im pretty good about backing up photos and such to my laptop and tablet.

Yes it's annoying they got rid of sd cards, but its not really difficult to work around, and to do it in a way that does not require spending money or worrying about the security of clouds.

My opinion, yours may vary.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
give the option... that simple. my little $800 isn't hurting samsung, but they aren't getting my money this go round. i paid $750+tax for my note edge and 50 more + tax for oem qi back plate and spare battery kit last year. love it. was willing to pay 1000 for a dual sided note edge spec'd out the same... what did we get two fake iphones. no thank you. lg, moto, or some unknown will get the sale now.

Offline question, but was the back plate worth it? I have the Note Edge currently and have heard any sort of case makes the wireless charging a pain. I keep a gel case on it to protect the metal bezel.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I use google drive for work only, and Verizon cloud for my contacts, and that's it.

I have an OTG cable for flash drives, and im pretty good about backing up photos and such to my laptop and tablet.

Yes it's annoying they got rid of sd cards, but its not really difficult to work around, and to do it in a way that does not require spending money or worrying about the security of clouds.

My opinion, yours may vary.

I here you and I'm sure most of us know it's not difficult to find a work around. The problem is the need to find a work around when an included SD card slot would have been so easy to have left in. If and when we no longer have options then I'll have to limit myself to such a work around. For now, my money (and many others) will go to a phone that isn't purposely handicapped.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading these threads for the past couple of days since ordering my N5. People are saying they will not get the phone, going to a different phone, how it's not as good as this phone or that phone, or, how it's no more different now than an iPhone. I have some questions that hopefully the group here can answer.

How many other high end phones now no longer support SD cards? The iPhone never had one to begin with.
How many High end phones have writing recognition and support a true usable stylus? This I have no idea about.
How many charge such a premium for internal memory? How many incorporate large memory up front as a baseline?

I've been reading a lot of complaints here, and I feel much the same way about, the lack of removable battery, SD card support, amount of on board memory. But, I'm actually curious and cannot find any discussion about, is the battery really going to be an issue? Is SD support going away anyway due to Androids own mandate?

I remember reading a few years ago about the advent of the Mobile 64bit architecture and one of the main reasons given on how it was a major increase was that it used less battery power to do the same things. Just like how, the number of running apps you have decrease the power quickly, the quicker those apps do what they need to do, the less power they use to do them. Simply put. I don't remember all the technical details given.

Since KitKat, Android has pretty much disabled full functionality and accessibility to external storage. You used to be able to install your apps to the SD Card so it didn't take up the faster on board memory. I'm one of those who didn't mind "slower access" to my files and such and wasn't happy when I woke up one morning to find that my Note had been upgraded from ICS to KK. Android is probably never again going to allow installation of programs on external memory.

I really don't know because I don't keep up with the technology until I get ready to upgrade which isn't that often.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Johnmcd348, i agree with your post. Motorola hasn't used sd cards in several years, and i really feel they have only re introduced the option because Samsung quit. I could be wrong.

I really hope above all else the battery lasts longer w the new 64bit stuff.

I am really considering the note5 at this point because i miss having a note. However, i do not need it lol, as the droid turbo i am on works fine lol.. Even w out sd card or removable battery lol.

mi7chy

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
SD card made sense years ago when internal storage was tiny like 512MB on my previous Samsung Epic 4G but considering it can't fully be used for apps along with having lost data from prematurely dying Sandisk SD cards I won't miss it. I'd rather have 64GB or 128GB of fast reliable internal storage. Also, it's one less license that Microsoft can leech off of Android.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.