Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
And how do you know? People On these forums, and others, are the minority. The masses out there that look for these attributes aren't being counted on these polls as most of them don't visit tech sites or take polls.

Point is, Samsung will lose market share. It's a given. will it be be due to these lack of features? Maybe. But out of say 100,000 polled, these features mean nothing to most of them, but what about the other 5,000,000 that aren't polled that do care?

Posted via the Android Central App

you guys are arriving at the same conclusion, just by different ways. we're an insignificant percentage of their customer base, and most people don't know or care about things like removable batteries and SD cards.

Take my parents for example. First of all, they think the people that work at the Apple Store are the smartest human beings on the planet. They both have iPads, my Dad has a MacBook and my Mom and iPhone. She's looking to change it up and I told her to check out the S6 Edge+ which she will once she can go to Best Buy and test one out.

The questions she asked were what your average Joe would ask. Does it have iTunes? Can it do the same things as my iPhone? How can I get pictures on my computer?

Not a word about storage, battery life or even camera. I'm sure some younger people might ask a few different questions, but she's not that far off. Point is, our concerns vs the real world are completely different, and it make sense for Samsung and every other OEM out there to cater to them instead of us.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
you guys are arriving at the same conclusion, just by different ways. we're an insignificant percentage of their customer base, and most people don't know or care about things like removable batteries and SD cards.

Take my parents for example. First of all, they think the people that work at the Apple Store are the smartest human beings on the planet. They both have iPads, my Dad has a MacBook and my Mom and iPhone. She's looking to change it up and I told her to check out the S6 Edge+ which she will once she can go to Best Buy and test one out.

The questions she asked were what your average Joe would ask. Does it have iTunes? Can it do the same things as my iPhone? How can I get pictures on my computer?

Not a word about storage, battery life or even camera. I'm sure some younger people might ask a few different questions, but she's not that far off. Point is, our concerns vs the real world are completely different, and it make sense for Samsung and every other OEM out there to cater to them instead of us.

You should ask the folks at my college campus who have an S6 Edge.

They know their phone looks cool, but when I ask them what's the processor, all I got were "It's an octa-core".

Surprisingly, they don't know much about the edge features.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My personal opinion is that Samsung has an inferiority complex to Apple and is trying to mimic everything iPhone.

And Samsung, if you are going to eliminate all removable batteries, put one in with some size. Say what you want about new processing powers, blah, blah, blah. A Samsung rep told me before the S6 came out that its new technology was fine for its small battery. No ... the battery is one of the biggest complaints about the S6.

At least Motorola knows how to use a battery and now that Verizon does not let you Edge up anymore for free after 18 months, what are people going to do when those non removable batteries deteriorate and soon users get half the time on the battery.

Between Samsung's need to be Apple and the industry greed pushing the cloud, more data and the outright purchase of a new phone every 18 months, it stinks.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
How hard is it to hook your phone to a PC and copy everything over? Those that don't backup their stuff are doomed to lose it.

And what if the SD card had gone bad, and they lost all their stuff? No matter if you have data on a phone, PC, or tablet, backing up is key. Don't go crying the blues when you rely on ONE device to hold all of your stuff and it dies. If you don't backup, you lose.

In all of the years I have used SD cards, I have never once lost any data, corrupted one,or ruined one. This is out of over 30 different cards,most of which I still use.

When I had my Notes and was heavily into flashing roms,themes,kernels, radios , I would constantly be using these that were stored on my cards. Cheap quality cards were the bain of those who used them and today that is mainly a non issue,since the cost for high quality cards have dropped to their current price levels.

Fear spreading fud is one way for these oems to justify doing what they are trying to accomplish in getting you to believe this.

Can the cards be damaged. ...of course, just like your phone, but I don't know anyone who uses a SD card that doesn't back up their stuff either to the cloud, pc,mac,Nand,airport, or additional SD cards. This has been taught forever to do this.

Regardless of how you store your personal data, being able to have it on a SD card is still better than just a cloud backup. You can easily move it to another phone, tablet, pc,mac or anywhere else, and with the newest types of SD cards you even have built-in wifi.

Failure to grasp just how viable these little cards are to mobile-phones is the biggest problem, and show you have bought into the lie these oems are propagating.

Right now you have the option of how you can store your personal data, if you elect to standby and give up this option without a fight to have to pay more for less than you and your money will soon be parted and the oems will love you.

The whole security flap Google supposedly had with the SD card was overblown and was just an excuse to stop people from rooting their devices. They did not want ASOP to succeed and have been trying to stop it from the beginning.

Bottom line is that most quality SD cards are safe, efficient, and most certainly cheaper than anything else offered to the consumer today, regardless what you store on them. Blame Google, the oems and also the carriers for not being able to utilize them properly, not the cards themselves.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

MRBLZ

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
That's why it is good practice to backup, preferably to you own pc, on a regular basis. I personally avoid the cloud when I can.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Because they charge more for their internal memory.

You are living with blinders on if you think there is no backlash happening. Try actually looking at what people are saying who not only have been loyal Note users but others as well.

Seriously. ...you think people aren't aware of the SD card? Your sadly mistaken.
http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...card-as-technology-marks-10-year-anniversary/

People are not going to get over having to pay more for less. As far as Samsung not investing in the SD card, they have been all along and still are, but can not compete against the likes of Scan Disk and the prices they sell for. The technology hasn't stopped, but growing

Here's something else since you think SD cards are dead...
http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/desig...ture-Speed-and-Capacity-meet-Reliability.aspx

The SD card business is steadily moving forward and allowing the consumer resonably priced solutions that the oems like Samsung and Apple hate because it allows more storage for what they could even dream of charging for their "better " solution and this technology is pushing all kinds of phone technology forward.

Samsungs vision is to copy Apple's business model and become as profitable.There is nothing wrong with that, however the problem is that the majority of Android users demand choices and will reject those oems who don't listen to us. HTC is the latest victim of this, and Samsung will be as well in time. Why do you think that the Asian market has the capabilities to use a SD card? Funny that their core group still has the capabilities. ..why do you think that is. ......?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/ph...e-dual-sim-note-5-takes-microsd-cards-1301923

Camera technology is not slowing down and the need for larger storage will become even greater in the near future. Samsung is trying to have the largest ROI by forcing higher priced internal memory. There is absolutely no other reason than this. Most all top tier phones have the capability of utilizing up to 2 TB right now why else would a company elect to gimp their phones? To blindly believe that they are doing this to push technology forward is a joke. Theyare loosing market share and even though they are making good money, they are still loosing money they could have been earning. Add their other looses and those yet to come from their legal troubles, it belies common sense to belive the rubbish you are saying.

There's a old saying we often used in the military back in the 70s went like this. ..don't pee down my back and say it's warm rain...meaning don't try to sell this nonsense to folks who know better. It doesn't work.

Cloud services works fine for some, but for the majority of the world it doesn't quite work out that way, and to propagate a need to use it like Samsung and Apple are doing is bs. Don't say that SD card technology is outdated because that is total fud,it's not outdated it's advancing and becoming greater than it has ever been.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but if I'm gonna be convinced that most people are aware of SD cards, a press release from SanDisk of all places, isn't gonna be what convinces me.

That said SD cards are a multi billion dollar business, so of course there's a huge market for them. There are more people that don't use them than do, as is true with pretty much anything other than food, water and air, but yeah, huge market and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. There's always gonna be an OEM that sees an opportunity to sell phones, especially a company like, oh I don't know, HTC, so I think Android fans will always have that option.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

It's a higher priced phone. It has a unique look, but again, these regular users may see more value in an iPhone or they may opt for the cheaper Moto X. Users are not tied down to just the Note 5 and GS6 Edge +, there are more choices now than years ago.

I agree there are many choices of large phones without the S pen and all it can do. The point I was making is that Samsung has listened to the hardcore gamer, movie fan, and social media aficionado and created a high end phone with cutting edge hardware and software to address this audience. Likewise they have created an improved phone for the (for want of a better descriptor) enterprise business power user who needs a device to get professional and business work done without the need of a separate device and the "road warrior" bag full of accessories for power and connection.
So yes, if you don't want/need cutting edge technology in hardware and software then there are a number of choices.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Or they may find they made a mistake, and lose a market share.

No MicroSD card slot means Samsung can now overcharge your for an extra 32GB of memory.

To "upgrade" from the 32GB to the 64GB, you have to pay an extra $100. That's the most expensive 32GB of memory in the world. Even the fastest Sandisk Extreme Plus (80MB/s) MicroSD card only costs less than $19.99 when I bought it last week from Amazon.

It's the same tactic that Apple make billions of dollars by not having MicroSD cards in iPhones and iPads. Make no mistake about it, Samsung is trying very hard to be just like Apple. Unfortunately, most people who are Samsung fans are not like mindless Apple cult fanboys. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Johnmcd348, i agree with your post. Motorola hasn't used sd cards in several years, and i really feel they have only re introduced the option because Samsung quit. I could be wrong.

I really hope above all else the battery lasts longer w the new 64bit stuff.

I am really considering the note5 at this point because i miss having a note. However, i do not need it lol, as the droid turbo i am on works fine lol.. Even w out sd card or removable battery lol.

IMO, Motorola brought them back because

1. The Moto E needed it with only 8GB internal.

2. In markets where the Moto G is a top-seller, users needed it due to data connectivity and network reliability issues.

3. Android was in a weird state of SD card support. Now they're not.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

blujay40

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I, as well as many others, have considered the Note series more than just a productivity/business category phone, but more a "swiss army knife" device that no other manufacturer could match. So over the past years, the Note has become my "all in one" device, not only as I run my business on a daily basis, but being able to enjoy my free time as well by not having to carry around multiple "devices". It simplified my life greatly.

With the Note 5 however, and the removal of the SD card option, it will just not work for me for at least a couple of reasons. First, the cloud and public wifi as a backup solution are no where near as secure as an SD card mounted WITHIN my device, in my pocket. I carry around sensitive data when on business trips and just don't trust it to be transmitted over public wifi or stored "in the cloud" by ANYONE. And when off grid camping or on vacation, where I MIGHT be willing to backup pictures and such to the cloud, but that also is useless to me because we are often in areas where the is no signal and no wifi to do so. I have already had two instances on vacation over the years where we were "off grid", the phone died, and had it not been for the SD card, we would have lost everything. And even if I weren't that concerned about the data security aspects, I can't imagine the data plan I would require to be able to function from one month to another from "the cloud" considering the amount of data, pictures, music, and video I am required to take/carry in my daily business.

So if manufacturers are truly moving to eliminate the SD card option, I find it hard to believe that it is solely because of a security issue and that they truly believe that public wifi and the cloud is the better option. Just the fact that they touted the YouTube live streaming "feature" tells me more than I need to know about where Samsung is placing the Note, and it's NOT in the same user category as it originally started out in. It's all about selfies, social media, and looking good instead of being a "be all, do all" device any longer. I had hoped that the S6 Edge + would get the "social media" flash and that the Note would retain at least some "productivity" functionality other than the SPen, but alas, it didn't happen.

So now, all I can hope for is that other 3rd party companies will move to make more elegant OTG solutions that still allow for local, secure storage options than having a cord or some other "plugin" in conveniently hanging off the bottom of the phone all the time, or that could easily become dislodged and/or lost. There are numerous OTG options available right now, but none are as convenient or secure as having an internally mounted SD card in my Note. Incipio has started the movement in that direction with their offGRID cover, but even that is not a proven solution so it's not ready for "prime time" as far as I am concerned.

So at least for the foreseeable future, my newly purchased Note 4 will remain my go to device while l wait to see what other offerings arise over the next year or two. But if necessary, I will return to the days where I simply will not rely on a "do all" device like the Note has been for me for the past few years. I will just revert back to my tablet, laptop, camera, or whatever device combination allows me to perform my daily/vacation functions the easiest way possible WHILE maintaining secure, LOCAL control of MY data and pick up a cheap smartphone for texting and phone calls.

Sorry Samsung, but at least for me, pretty doesn't trump functional.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What size SD cards are you all using?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but if I'm gonna be convinced that most people are aware of SD cards, a press release from SanDisk of all places, isn't gonna be what convinces me.

That said SD cards are a multi billion dollar business, so of course there's a huge market or there for them. There are more people that don't use them then use them, as is true with pretty much anything other than food, water and air, but yeah, huge market and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. There's always find be an OEM that sees an opportunity to sell phones, especially a company like, oh I don't know, HTC, so I think is Android fans will always have that option.

Really......?

And how did you come to know that fewer people use them than don't ?

I will save you the trouble...these oems that overcharge for fixed internal memory.

Look at the number of Android devices sold with them as opposed to those without. Apple doesn't count because those who use iPhone's have never been able to use them. Again this is 1 Oem that overcharges it's customers and has brainwashed the majority on that platform they don't need them and they should be glad to overpay to be worthy of using the device. All you have to do is look at the sales for the SD cards and you will see more people actually use them than don't.

Some of the manufacturers know that to sell devices they have to offer what everyone wants, not just a few. HTC is hurting because they didn't really listen to what was being said on this side of the pond, and gimped their USA phones by not releasing their real flagship here. Now accordingly Samsung is doing the same thing and mark my words if they don't release the dual sim phone that can use the SD card their sales will suffer greatly for it.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I use(d) 32GB SD card for my Note 3, but since I pretty much fill it up with DVDs' from my collection, (I think I have 17 movies , not including ones from Flixster, and VuDo) and I have maybe 200 DVDs stored in my entertainment center, I'll need a larger SD card for my new Note 5. I bought that SanDisk Wireless Flash drive 64GB last night.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What size SD cards are you all using?

64 and 128 gigs. Yes mine are in a otg reader but I can tell you that it is not as smooth and easy as a SD card in the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Really......?

And how did you come to know that fewer people use them than don't ?

I will save you the trouble...these oems that overcharge for fixed internal memory.

Look at the number of Android devices sold with them as opposed to those without. Apple doesn't count because those who use iPhone's have never been able to use them. Again this is 1 Oem that overcharges it's customers and has brainwashed the majority on that platform they don't need them and they should be glad to overpay to be worthy of using the device. All you have to do is look at the sales for the SD cards and you will see more people actually use them than don't.

Some of the manufacturers know that to sell devices they have to offer what everyone wants, not just a few. HTC is hurting because they didn't really listen to what was being said on this side of the pond, and gimped their USA phones by not releasing their real flagship here. Now accordingly Samsung is doing the same thing and mark my words if they don't release the dual sim phone that can use the SD card their sales will suffer greatly for it.

If you think HTC is hurting because they moved away from SD cards for awhile and still haven't gone back to user replaceable batteries, you probably don't understand the market.

OldAndBusted

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
"...Samsung is a tech company for a reason. Its goal is to drive technology forward..."

Um, no. Samsung's goal is to sell product. That's what their stockholders demand. Samsung chooses to drive technology forward in an effort to drive sales. That is the only reason.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"...Samsung is a tech company for a reason. Its goal is to drive technology forward..."

Um, no. Samsung's goal is to sell product. That's what their stockholders demand. Samsung chooses to drive technology forward in an effort to drive sales. That is the only reason.

But you can say that about any company.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that in many cases we need storage that is hieracle in nature. Personally I don't want photo and user data in the same storage space as programs and application data. The way storage with android is now and SD cards is the perfect way to accomplish tired storage. Prior to ICS it was a mess. My Note 1 had a 16gb internal drive with 2gb allocated to apps and the rest to other stuff and then still had a SD card. That was a mess but allowing 32GB for all android data and then me to specify what storage was avaliable for my pics and video based on my use case was simply smart.

For testing last night I created a 5 min 4k clip on my note 3 and it was 1.68GB. That means we could do at best 1 hour of 4k video on a note 5 or GS6 with 32GB of storage. And that would be with nothing on it. 64GB would allow a little more then double since some space is used by the OS.

Let's not forget what happens to performance of flash storage when it gets full. Flash storage is only capable of so many writes. If a user is consistently running low on storage they will burn through the wear capabilities of the storage, and performance will tank as the flash will have to more frequently re-write the same block on the storage.

UHS 2.0 is essentially putting a computer SSD drive in the phone which is much faster then the eMMC drives they were using. But neither will perform well if they start to approach capacity.

I suspect the removal has something to do with performance concerns of mixing the tech. But in some cases I think mixing will preserve performance if it prevents the phone storage from getting to full.

We really have to understand all of this is centered around storage is about video. Music could cause a problem but isn't nearly as likely. Video on the other hand can do it easily. If 4k video takes off then 64GB will certainly be insufficient.

We all should backup our pictures and such. It just doesn't make sense not to. I do it to my plex server. Basically anytime my phone is charging it looks to upload pics to my server. I don't prefer cloud services because I don't want to pay to store my content.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I Would also point out I have used several 8GB SD cards, a few 32GB, a 64GB SanDisk ultra, and currently sport a 128GB SanDisk extream. I had one Gail and it was the Lexar 32GB card. All of the others have worked fine. I suspect there are two reasons many people have issues with SD cards. They buy cheap cards from off name manufacturers that are hacked and fake to begin with, or they are used so hard the flash fails after so many writes. It is possible to simply wear out flash storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance