Good article on why Samsung (and other companies) are getting rid of MicroSD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
SD cards are not a security risk as long as you don't put any secure data on them! My SD Card holds movies and pictures and copies of PDF's like owners manuals. Any data I need secure stays in my phone memory so a reset will erase it. I can't think of anything LESS secure than the cloud! If hackers can get into big companies and big government they can sure as hell hack into google cloud or MSN cloud. The cloud is OK for pictures of cats or copies of old files with no data that needs to be secure. At least you have to GET my sd card to READ my sd card and I don't keep anything personal on it anyway. They'll get music and movies and pictures and owners' manuals.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
"...Samsung is a tech company for a reason. Its goal is to drive technology forward..."

Um, no. Samsung's goal is to sell product. That's what their stockholders demand. Samsung chooses to drive technology forward in an effort to drive sales. That is the only reason.

You're exactly right. That's why companies exist--to earn a profit for their shareholders. They don't care about quality, function, or the customers. Nobody would be in business if it wasn't about the money.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
If you think HTC is hurting because they moved away from SD cards for awhile and still haven't gone back to user replaceable batteries, you probably don't understand the market.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Not what I said . HTC is hurting because they didn't listen to their customers and gimped their flagship phone here in the States. Their choices effected their sales.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not what I said . HTC is hurting because they didn't listen to their customers and gimped their flagship phone here in the States. Their choices effected their sales.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

By gimped, what do you mean? Not offering features like removable batteries and SD card slots?

kandrelly

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Here's my problem with no SD card. It seems I'm in the minority, but I like to have an SD card to store things for playback. Most of the cellphone companies don't offer much data anymore without charging an arm and a leg. Also, most airlines charge outrageous amounts of money for data. What if I want to watch a movie or listen to music on my flight or on the way to work? Streaming takes TONS of data. I live in a more rural area, and there aren't many wifi hot spots, nor is there wifi where I work, or on my way to work! That's why SD cards are nice. 32 GB doesn't hold much, and my memory fills up WAY too quickly. The cloud would be GREAT if I didn't cost so much to access it!!!!!! Not saying I don't like the cloud, I love it. I just don't want to pay to access my own stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
All of these folks saying SD cards are old tech and should just be abandoned are out of there darn minds. The perfect comparison is SSD drives and spinning disk hard drives in computers. SSD's are clearly superior in performance but are no where near the capacity of spinning disk. The exact same thing applies to our phones. The internal UHS2.0 disk is equivalent to a SSD drive while the micro SD card is the same as a spinning disk.

At least in a desktop can add an additional drive without Dell or Microsoft dictating how or if I can use it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My main gripe with the promotion of cloud storage is the constant paid bandwidth for access. Who can afford to be pulling down movies and music collections on their cellular data plans all the time? If the telcos were offering good unlimited data service at a reasonable price - maybe - it'd work. But I can't see the advantage...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My main gripe with the promotion of cloud storage is the constant paid bandwidth for access. Who can afford to be pulling down movies and music collections on their cellular data plans all the time? If the telcos were offering good unlimited data service at a reasonable price - maybe - it'd work. But I can't see the advantage...

Some do - just depends if they provide good service in your area.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It really bums me out that Samsung is ditching SD cards. I was hoping they'd keep it in the Note 5. It does seem that SD cards are being phased out. I'll be sticking with phones that have it until the end. I had an S4, an S5 and switched to an HTC M9 because the S6 lacked the SD card. That was the 100% deal breaker for me. Otherwise I'd be rocking an S6 right now instead of an M9.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Meenova, folks. Dash micro, plug and go. They're dirt cheap and clip to your keychain, wear it on a piece of string around your neck. 😊
These are neat but this is not an acceptable solution for me. I don't want to constantly have that thing plugged into phone when I'm listening to music on my runs or in the car. Plus, I wouldn't be able to charge my phone while listening to music in my car with this plugged in. This would be okay for movies when I'm at home but this seems like a step backward when we could have a micro SD card slot in the device. I have been using them for years and have never had any problems. It was one of the advantages that I saw for Android phones over iPhones.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
This article would make more sense if it didn't apply to just Samsung(and iphones)...I notice plenty of other phones still with SD.(Like the LG G4 and Moto X pure) Seems like more of a reason (along with non removable batteries) for lower Samsung sales.

cybertec69

Banned
Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
The problem here is, not everyone has access to data networks all the time, that means you can not access the cloud and retrieve your data when you need it or want it, and the other problem is that not everyone had unlimited data "when not around an open wifi network", when telcos start giving everyone unlimited data plans then their vision might come true, and being able to connect anywhere, from a mountain top, to remote places. This whole article makes no sense, what I see here is a money grab, it's what Apple has been doing forever, and Samsung is just following in their footsteps.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
While not usually elegant, USB OTG can more than make up for the lack of SD card support.

yourphonemyphone

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using Verizon's unlimited and its pretty cheap and blazing fast.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

Same here... my Verizon unlimited plan consistently gets me at least 20mbps download speed. I have not seen anything lower than 20mbps in well over a year. Considering that I'm in a rural area, I'm quite happy with 20mbps. There is only one ISP in my area and their top speed is still 1.5mbps for $39 per month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey