First Impressions

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Stopped into Best Buy today to finally play with these bad boys. First thing that caught me was how bright their displays are. I didn't like the S6 Edge when it came out but IMO w/ the bigger screen it looks a lot better but I felt the sides were kind of sharp for my taste.

Swiping from screen to screen was fast and snappy. I'm deaf in my left ear and I thought that the external speakers were really loud. Was watching a Youtube video and had to actually turn it down so I didn't annoy anyone around me.

Can't wait to get the Note 5

eclectic11

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Lol they remove the earbuds wtf?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes for the Note 3 and 4 AT&T stripped the headphones. No other carrier did this which pissed me off. They switch the box to the Crappy ATT box and Jack the headphones. Glad they didn't this time around.

Posted via the Android Central App

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes for the Note 3 and 4 AT&T stripped the headphones. No other carrier did this which pissed me off. They switch the box to the Crappy ATT box and Jack the headphones. Glad they didn't this time around.

Same with the big red...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Really? I've bought a Note 3 and 4 from them and they came in a Samsung box with all the junk. Now I'm worried lol.
Verizon? Maybe I'm mistaken on the 3. I'll have to go double check my note 4 box before I sell it here in a couple days!

Ill follow back up if I was wrong.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Verizon? Maybe I'm mistaken on the 3. I'll have to go double check my note 4 box before I sell it here in a couple days!

Ill follow back up if I was wrong.

My note 3 and 4 neither one had earbuds from the verizon store

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I wrote in another thread that I went to Best Buy today to play around with the Note 5 and I fell in love with it. It is amazing and super fast. I love that the S Pen can write on the screen with the device off. Why wasn't that available on the other iterations of the Note phones?

I have decided that I am going to trade in my S6 active for the Note 5. I'm starting graduate school next week and I don't need an outdoors phone anymore. Besides, editing documents and writing quick notes will be quite useful for school.

I learned a lesson in all of this. Don't jump to rash decisions so quickly. I was on the bandwagon about the lack of removable storage and battery, but after today, I couldn't care less about them. I have 150GB available on my Google Drive anyways.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm too in Thailand.. Only saw the 32 version in pattaya... But I may switch brands as I need more than 64 memory

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Got my ATT 64gb black today. Have to say the phone is really nice piece of hardware. The size is expectedly big but the curved back does make it feel a bit smaller than the Note 4. The phone is fast. Really fast. Sceen is just what you expect. Phenomenal. Too early to tell on battery life. That will be the determining factor for me. But overall, really like it.

How is data reception? I had a Note 4 but had to return it since I could not hold an LTE signal.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
First 24 hours:
Level Set: Last device iPhone 6+, previous device Lumia 1520. Both smooth, powerful devices with good battery life

Battery life sucks. But, that's to be expected as I was playing with everything, setting and configuring
Speed - FAST. Better than both my previous
Fingerprint reader: Faster and more smooth than iPhone
Feel in hand: Toss up with iPhone. I like both. Compared to my Note 3, this is better
Eye Candy: Toss up with iPhone. I like both. I prefer the Note 5, I think.
Ease of use: Toss up with iPhone
Performance: Note 5
Learning Curve: Fairly new Android user, so basic understanding in some areas is not there
App Performance: Note 5
Ease of Customization: Note 5
Configuration/Integration with Cloud: Note 5
SD Card usage: Lumia 1520 ( had to throw that in )
Dislike: Wireless dock doesn't seem to charge regularly. Maybe I assumed that putting the phone on the dock was the right way. Maybe I needed to face east..I don't know. Its not charging regular.
General Overall: Note 5
Would I buy it again: Yes, without hesitation

Cherry on the topping: fits in the iPhone car mount !!!!

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
First 24 hours:
Level Set: Last device iPhone 6+, previous device Lumia 1520. Both smooth, powerful devices with good battery life

Battery life sucks. But, that's to be expected as I was playing with everything, setting and configuring
Speed - FAST. Better than both my previous
Fingerprint reader: Faster and more smooth than iPhone
Feel in hand: Toss up with iPhone. I like both. Compared to my Note 3, this is better
Eye Candy: Toss up with iPhone. I like both. I prefer the Note 5, I think.
Ease of use: Toss up with iPhone
Performance: Note 5
Learning Curve: Fairly new Android user, so basic understanding in some areas is not there
App Performance: Note 5
Ease of Customization: Note 5
Configuration/Integration with Cloud: Note 5
SD Card usage: Lumia 1520 ( had to throw that in )
Dislike: Wireless dock doesn't seem to charge regularly. Maybe I assumed that putting the phone on the dock was the right way. Maybe I needed to face east..I don't know. Its not charging regular.
General Overall: Note 5
Would I buy it again: Yes, without hesitation

Cherry on the topping: fits in the iPhone car mount !!!!

How was data reception for the Note 5?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in a thread that was then just moved to another forum, so I'll re-post here:

So, I received my Note 5 yesterday. 64GB on Verizon. It had about 54gb of avail storage initially. I have the Note 4 also. While it's too early to any conclusions, so far i really love the Note 5. Some observations for those of you that have the Note 4:

- The display is better on the Note 5 than on my Note 4. It is not major, but it is noticeable when they are side-to-side on some screens. Brighter by a tiny bit, and a slightly more blue-ish (as opposed to a yellowish) white, which I prefer. Awesome screen.

- The screen is denser. You can fit 5 x 5 icons from the stock TouchWiz on your home screens. This is great. Everything is a bit smaller though, so it takes a bit of getting used to. Also, you can adjust font sizes in the settings. The result of the denser display is the ability to see more of everything - 1 more line of Gmail or Hangouts, etc, etc. It's good.

- The Camera seems fantastic. Really really great. The double tap to get the camera open is such an improvement for trying to get a quick shot. It really changes how quickly you can use the camera. Honestly it is one of those paradigm shifts in usage that I think I will never want to get away from. The ability to have your phone in your pocket, and from there be able to take a picture literally one second later is eye opening for me. A few quick test shots (at night and in the day) were excellent. The shot-to-shot speed is great, with almost no lag getting from the camera to the gallery too (which I know all of you Note 4 users realize is good to hear). The FFC is improved also. I rarely use it, but I guess it was upgraded from 2MP to 5MP, and it is definitely an improvement - I mean even those front camera shots look pretty great I have to say. Lastly, tried the YouTube live streaming with my family and it works great. It will be perfect for when I am at my son's little league games if I want to broadcast his at bat to my parents or my wife an other kids from the game - and for many other things. It's dead easy to do a private stream ( or public I suppose)

- It's very speedy all around. My Note 4 is pretty fast too, and the Note 5 is new, but it definitely seems quicker in every aspect.

- The Fingerprint scanner works perfectly. I never really used it on the Note 4. I tried it early on and it was slow, janky, and somewhat unreliable. On the Note 5 it is accurate - it hasn't missed yet actually. And, it is SO fast. I now use it for my lock security, it is so good.

- The Note 5 phone is noticeably smaller in hand compared to my Note 4. It is more slippery though with the glass back. It feels great, it looks great. It feels premium. Several ooohs and ahhhhs from friends today :).

- The auto-brightness seems to be set at a slightly dimmer level during low light times. It is super bright when needed when there is light. But for my taste, it makes the screen just a tiny bit too dim in low light situations. It's not bad at all, but it's set a bit lower than on my Note 4. This is quite subjective of course, but I thought the Note 4 got auto-brightness perfect for me.

- S Pen screen writing with the device screen off works as expected, and it's great and fast. Good addition. The other s Pen software seems improved as well (it at least looks better to me).

- There are no issues with Bluetooth or Wifi. GPS seems excellent. All are great on my Note 4 too. Wireless charging is perfect, no issues.

- The battery seems really good. I'm not going to give numbers after 1 day, but I have been on it non-stop since yesterday and I am pleased with the battery. It is better - at this early stage - than my Note 4's battery. Too early to tell though here of course, so don't read too much into it.

- Edit: They moved he hidden "menu" button from the Long press of the multi-task to a long press of the BACK button. Until now, if you held down the multi-task button on TouchWiz, it would act as the old menu button. I actually use a few old apps that haven't been updated in a while (for very small specific needs) that didn't have the overflow button. On the Note 5, you hold down the BACK button for the menu button.

- Lastly, for anyone on Verizon (mine is on Verizon).... Verizon apparently cannot provision Advanced Calling 1.0 just yet for the Note 5 (not sure if it's because it isn't yet the 8/21 launch date , or what ..). There is a setting in the phone to enable it, but it isn't working just yet. I spent some time on the phone with some techs who have a ticket in so that they can add it for Note 5's. I expect it can be added shortly, but until then, no VOLTE, or HD calling

EDIT: Advanced calling (VOLTE and HD calling, video calling, etc) is now working on the Note 5 on Verizon as of 8/20 :)

- p.s. For the first time on a phone I have seen in years, Google+ was NOT pre-loaded with all the other Google apps on my Verizon Note 5. I had to download it from the Play Store. More signs of just how far G+ has fallen I suppose. Maybe this has been the case for a bit now and I have no new devices in the last year or so, but it felt odd not to see it there..

Last edited:

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the nice review between the Note 4 and 5.
I too have a Note 4 and am considering moving to the 5 but I do have a question.
Can you continuously scroll through all the pages from the home screen to the right or left until you get back to the home screen? or does it stop at the last page and then you have to go back to get to the home screen?
I know you can do that on the Note 4 but you can't do it on the S6 for example.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the nice review between the Note 4 and 5.
I too have a Note 4 and am considering moving to the 5 but I do have a question.
Can you continuously scroll through all the pages from the home screen to the right or left until you get back to the home screen? or does it stop at the last page and then you have to go back to get to the home screen?
I know you can do that on the Note 4 but you can't do it on the S6 for example.

Thanks, Regarding the Home Screen continuous scrolling , it does not continuously scroll., as far as I can tell. I don't see an option for that in the settings ,..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie