04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 105106107108109 ...
tools
    I dont know what it is with the T-mobile variant, but it just plain SUCKS. After a month of never getting more than 4 hours SoT max, I caved and sent it in to samsung for service. After getting the phone back with a new battery, I see no improvement whatsoever

Yes, yes, I know, it makes a huge difference how you use the phone if you wanna get 6-7 hours SoT like some people on here, but I have never gotten past the 4, despite having tons of crap disabled, so I can't say I'm happy, coming from a oneplus one where I averaged 7 hours easily. But I guess I'm stuck with it now.
    12-09-2015 09:20 PM
    As general problem with what?

Two hour screen time is nothing for a note 5. This is about 2 hours SOT and 12 hours off charger and 79%.

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T
    Same thing here......

From my AT&T Platinum Gold Note 5
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-12-09-22-33-27.jpg  
    12-09-2015 09:34 PM
    Damn not being able to post two pics at once.

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-12-09-22-33-30.jpg  
    12-09-2015 09:35 PM
    Same thing here......

What is nochromo?
    12-10-2015 12:56 AM
    I dont know what it is with the T-mobile variant, but it just plain SUCKS. After a month of never getting more than 4 hours SoT max, I caved and sent it in to samsung for service. After getting the phone back with a new battery, I see no improvement whatsoever

Yes, yes, I know, it makes a huge difference how you use the phone if you wanna get 6-7 hours SoT like some people on here, but I have never gotten past the 4, despite having tons of crap disabled, so I can't say I'm happy, coming from a oneplus one where I averaged 7 hours easily. But I guess I'm stuck with it now.
    What's your phones normal use look like?

I'm a very heavy user and I can always get at lease 6 hours sot. I have nothing disabled. Auto brightness and no power saving modes or dark themes.

For my daily use, I have 3 email account syncing, alot of Web browsing, some games but not much use about 15 mins of games on the train. About an hour to two of Pandora with Bluetooth headphones, lots of youtube for the kids, some netflix. At least 100 texts and 40 emails a day. I take alot of notes for work and onenote is always syncing new info. Excel and PDF viewer used daily. I have a 11 month old. so I take alot of pictures and videos about 30 day.
    That's about what my day looks like off the top of my head.

12-10-2015 01:30 AM
    What's your phones normal use look like?

I'm a very heavy user and I can always get at lease 6 hours sot. I have nothing disabled. Auto brightness and no power saving modes or dark themes.

For my daily use, I have 3 email account syncing, alot of Web browsing, some games but not much use about 15 mins of games on the train. About an hour to two of Pandora with Bluetooth headphones, lots of youtube for the kids, some netflix. At least 100 texts and 40 emails a day. I take alot of notes for work and onenote is always syncing new info. Excel and PDF viewer used daily. I have a 11 month old. so I take alot of pictures and videos about 30 day.
    That's about what my day looks like off the top of my head.

Not even close to that, mine mostly consists of web browsing and texting. I have a lot of T-mobile bloat disabled, and I'm running greenify to auto-close apps. I have one email account syncing, I dont play games, almost never watch youtube but I am also a heavy user.

And not once have I hit 5 hours SoT.....
    12-10-2015 02:44 AM
    Not even close to that, mine mostly consists of web browsing and texting. I have a lot of T-mobile bloat disabled, and I'm running greenify to auto-close apps. I have one email account syncing, I dont play games, almost never watch youtube but I am also a heavy user.

And not once have I hit 5 hours SoT.....
    Install GSAM and post your signal strength graph from a day, then compare it to Kelly Kearns' signal
    12-10-2015 06:56 AM
    What is nochromo?
    Ad blocking version of Chrome. Can be found on XDA.

12-10-2015 07:50 AM
    I got much more out of the phones by disabling 4g today. Still experimenting with them trying to find out why 2 hours' SOT per charge before I disabled 4G. Also, I don't know if the following is normal. I have one of the phones on charge right now. It's plugged straight into the wall with the supplied fast charger and the charging time is painfully slow. Seems to be under 10% an hour. The wifi hotspot is enabled so maybe that's the reason. Will investigate further.

By the way, SOT means something like screen on time, right?
    12-10-2015 02:50 PM
    I got much more out of the phones by disabling 4g today. Still experimenting with them trying to find out why 2 hours' SOT per charge before I disabled 4G. Also, I don't know if the following is normal. I have one of the phones on charge right now. It's plugged straight into the wall with the supplied fast charger and the charging time is painfully slow. Seems to be under 10% an hour. The wifi hotspot is enabled so maybe that's the reason. Will investigate further.

By the way, SOT means something like screen on time, right?
    Yes SOT does mean Screen On Time.
    12-10-2015 02:52 PM
    Yes SOT does mean Screen On Time.
    Thanks for the clarification regarding SOT.

Just to confirm, I've now found that disabling the hotspot feature while recharging seems to make a huge difference. Or more to the point, activating the hotspot feature during recharging virtually kills the recharge.
    12-10-2015 03:43 PM
    So I am on Verizon Note 5 and loving my battery life on LTE... WiFi is little worse but loving it on LTE. I am routinely getting 5-6 hours SOT with 24 hours on battery... And 4 hours plus SOT with 30 hours plus on battery.

I just hope it keeps up and doesn't degrade meaningfully overtime.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-10-2015 10:42 PM
    Does WIFI drain battery faster than LTE?
    12-11-2015 12:20 PM
    Does WIFI drain battery faster than LTE?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4882320
    guacapoli likes this.
    12-11-2015 12:36 PM
    Yes, but not by a longshot.

12-11-2015 02:49 PM
    Thanks for the clarification regarding SOT.

Just to confirm, I've now found that disabling the hotspot feature while recharging seems to make a huge difference. Or more to the point, activating the hotspot feature during recharging virtually kills the recharge.
    I believe the phone will reduce battery charge rate to keep temps in check. If you are trying to fast charge and turning on a hot spot, that's a lot of power going through the device and it'd get pretty warm.
    12-11-2015 08:53 PM
    I'm really about to go back to AT&T to try and exchange the phone. I left the house at 100% drove 45 min nothing on. I'm at 85 percent. This legit started like 2 weeks ago. I don't go what would cause it to deteriorate like this.

12-13-2015 02:50 PM
    Try turning off location services I had a phone that was constantly pinging location and doing the same exact thing as you. Losing ten percent per hour basically

12-13-2015 07:50 PM
    Is it safe to fast charge my note 5 overnight, every night? Would it be better to have it on the wireless pad all night or should I just stop charging it during the night altogether?
    12-13-2015 08:29 PM
    Is it safe to fast charge my note 5 overnight, every night? Would it be better to have it on the wireless pad all night or should I just stop charging it during the night altogether?
    Safe to keep it on the wireless charger overnight .
    12-13-2015 08:31 PM
    Hi,
    As you can see my battery life is about the same as yours. I don't know what your use patterns are but my phone is used very lightly. Location services generally off, bluetooth off, S-Pen features that use juice are off. The device functions more like a dumb phone with a touch screen as a result of all the things I have to turn off just to get through a day and be able to make/receive a call. I must've had dreams of sugar plums in my head because it honestly never dawned on me that the only way to get a day's use out of this device is to shut down everything that makes it what it is, rather than a dumb phone with a touch screen. The problem is definitely caused largely by the cell radio standby. I have a Moto Droid Razr Maxx and it is not a piece of junk, in fact it has a lot of the features of this device but no S-PEN. Last I checked the phone had been on 7 days and I still had 62% battery remaining. That is with wifi on, power savers off, all my apps immediately accessible, etc. The cellular radio standby DID NOT EVEN REGISTER it used so little juice. Meanwhile the Note 5 uses 12-18% of the total battery (Meaning that if it is the only process running, the battery will be drained to 88%-82% for about 12-14 hours of almost all standby. My moto gets AT LEAST 7x the battery life. Samsung's tablets are great (I have 2 and had 3). The battery life to light up this big 12.2" screen is amazing - sometimes SOT exceeds 10 hrs (of course with the brightness way down between 10-15% which gives plenty of light). The battery is 9500 maH where the Note 5 is 3000 maH. The big tablet has more than 3x the screen real estate and both wifi and bluetooth are running all the time because of my keyboard/case. It lasts a solid 12 hours continuous heavy use with the screen on most of that time. I eked out 16 hours of use once but I generally charge it every other day. I really wonder why Google, Samsung and other manufacturers are so hell bent on forcing the non-removable battery (so you could replace it with a spare), and microsd cards. It seems to me my data is more secure when I remove it form the device than when I leave it in the device, so I don't buy the security spiel about why microSD write permissions were crippled in KitKat. I know I will get labeled a conspiracy theorist but I don't care. It's a heck of a lot easier for Samsung, the ABC agencies, et al, to access your data if there is always a battery in the phone and the onboard storage is the ONLY storage.

The thing that irks me is that an $800+ device has to be hobbled in order to get a full day of use, and that means not using a lot of its superb features. Frankly, I do not believe Samsung does not have access to battery technology that could last days because Moto does and Moto is frequently way behind the curve. I would rather have a plastic back and device that won't leave me high and dry over a Gorilla Glass 4 back that is prone to shatter, cannot be user serviced, and does not protect from moisture damage as the Note 4 did (up to 3' underwater). That is regressive. I wish I had voted with my $$ and gotten a Moto X Style. Granted, it does not have a lot of the bells and whistles of the note but my sister went from LG to Samsung to Moto X Style and loves it. As the French say "Chaqu'un son gout" or to each his own taste. Unless Samsung addresses this battery issue my next Gout will be anything but. Happy holidays to all! dblhelixman
    gsweinberg87 likes this.
    12-14-2015 01:59 AM
    Amazing. You know, the phones are manufactured in different countries. My phone is the Sprint model (without any Sprint flare, thank God). Have you wondered if different carriers have profound effect on battery life? Perhaps country of origin? People with whom I have spoken that have Vietnamese phones seem to get better battery life and performance. May your current trend continue! Happy holidays. Dblhelixman.
    12-14-2015 02:03 AM
    I use my phone pretty heavily during the work week. I haven't disabled location services or anything else and have auto brightness on. I take my phone off the charger at 6 am and recharge by 3 pm during a work day and charge again overnight.

12-14-2015 06:26 AM
    My phone battery went to sh**.. I had that GPSD showing and I turned off location. I've been testing battery for days now and tried the a dark themes, clearing cache with no help. I haven't downloaded any new apps. So, I'm getting about 4- 5 hours screen and 14 hours off the charger. This is terrible compared to before. I would get 4 hours SOT 14 hours of the battery and still have 45 percent left. I don't understand what happened.

Attachment 209693Note 5 Battery life thread-1339.jpg

12-14-2015 09:51 AM
    My phone battery went to sh**.. I had that GPSD showing and I turned off location. I've been testing battery for days now and tried the a dark themes, clearing cache with no help. I haven't downloaded any new apps. So, I'm getting about 4- 5 hours screen and 14 hours off the charger. This is terrible compared to before. I would get 4 hours SOT 14 hours of the battery and still have 45 percent left. I don't understand what happened.

Attachment 209693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1339.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	209694

First picture is broken.
    12-14-2015 09:58 AM
3,351 ... 105106107108109 ...