04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 1234 ...
tools
    I was one of the quick judgers. I even posted somewhere a few days ago about how these power optimizations never work. I tried It anyway and I'll be damned. I think it has worked. Very pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Gray Area likes this.
    08-15-2015 11:42 AM
    Looks like I was way off on my assumption that the battery life would be bad. So far it's damn good

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08...ea887e98e6.jpg
    Whoa!

Posted on my Galaxy S6 edge (S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    08-15-2015 11:55 AM

The top screenshot is my current usage with my note 5. The next is a picture of the final stats for my note 4. Showing almost 3 hours more screen on time on average with the 5. Set up the same.

jimd1050 and dsignori like this.
    08-15-2015 11:55 AM
    They need to ota this power optimization to us s6 / edge users!

gottria, clintw22, Shon123 and 1 others like this.
    08-15-2015 11:56 AM
    They need to ota this power optimization to us s6 / edge users!

Yes they do. I had OK battery life with the s6 edge 4-5 hours sot. But seems that it could be better.

08-15-2015 11:59 AM
    I get similar results from my Note 4, but I guess it is good that the Note 5 can manage similar results on a battery that is 220mAh less, but I wanted a huge jump.

Here is a recent run:
    Over 12hours off charge
    7h43m SOT

Racing24 likes this.
    08-15-2015 01:31 PM
    I believe that efficiency can do more with less - note 4 and 5 will probably be very similar. I just question why we didn't do a lot more with more or a whole lot more with a lot more. Bring on the 5k mAh batteries.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    Gray Area and skatergirl like this.
    08-15-2015 01:41 PM
    I get similar results from my Note 4, but I guess it is good that the Note 5 can manage similar results on a battery that is 220mAh less, but I wanted a huge jump.

Here is a recent run:
    Over 12hours off charge
    7h43m SOT
    http://i.imgur.com/ZRCF4gL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/12Pif4N.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/kdk5bld.jpg
    You get better time then me on the note 4 so you will probably have better on the 5 also. It seems to be a fairly good jump.

Aquila likes this.
    08-15-2015 01:43 PM
    Note 5 is only arriving in November down here, so I doubt I'll get it. But you may be right, that same thought crossed my mind. I wish Samsung had just left the batt capacity at 3220mAh at the very least.
    08-15-2015 02:39 PM
    At least you'll have time to see how it is for others by then. This is just how it works for me and my usage. Looks like it's more than enough for me and I'll be selling my note 4 and s6 active.

Tsepz_GP and Aquila like this.
    08-15-2015 02:56 PM
    True.

And by the way, Congrats on the new beast!
    Glad you are happy with it, there is a lot Samsung did right with it, the new UI looks sooo good and fast, and the hardware is the best around. Enjoy it!
    robertopod1968 likes this.
    08-15-2015 04:04 PM
    I'm a paranoid battery freak. I have a paranoia of running out of battery...lol
    Understood. I'm sort of a battery freak that way too, but not until about 25 - 32%... then I start sweating! LOL!
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    08-15-2015 06:54 PM
    A lot of people are not happy with the battery life, including the XDA Developers reviewers. I am still in disbelief that Samsung decided to mess with such a great product line.
    08-16-2015 01:30 AM
    A lot of people are not happy with the battery life, including the XDA Developers reviewers. I am still in disbelief that Samsung decided to mess with such a great product line.
    From the article "This being said, I have already pre-registered my Note 5 purchase with T-Mobile and I will be getting one next week"

So he doesn't have one in hand yet. I prefer to hear about people who actually have it in hand compared to those who are reviewing it based on another phone and the specs.
    08-16-2015 09:07 AM
    Yeah, not sure that I can give that review much credibility. First the reviewer DOES NOT have the phone. To me this is the first indication that the reviewer should be waiting to do a review or editorial or whatever it is they want to call it when complaining about the device. Second, their biggest complaint is that the lack of SD card means that it is slightly more difficult to root and ROM phones. But this is Samsung - so most users weren't doing that anyways. Exynos devices have almost no third party dev support and Knox keeps most people that would be interested from even trying it out.

I agree with dpham00, I'm much more interested in the real experiences of our users who actually have the device - especially if they also had the Note 4 previously to give us some comparison to how both devices do with their particular usage.
    08-16-2015 09:24 AM
    Yeah. The guy doesn't even have the phone and is complaining about battery life? That makes sense....show me one person that's not happy with the battery life that knows what the battery life is.
    jimd1050 and TenshiNo like this.
    08-16-2015 09:37 AM
    It's NOT a review, but an editorial based on early impressions and the opinion that the Note 5 is no longer for power users due to the loss of user-replaceable battery and SD card features. Personally, as a Note 4 owner I think the editorial is spot on!
    The editorial is not spot on. Real life reviews are important. Not assumptions based on specs. Several here are proving that the battery last longer in the Note 5 vs. the Note 4. The construction of the phone is far more superior to that of the Note 4. Now, the Note 4 is a very beautiful and powerful device. But there is no way someone can say it is better. The ONLY reason people will say the Note 4 is better is because it has a removable battery and an SD card option. Oh and the IR Blaster which majority of the population does not know about or use. Only us tech nerds really.

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Black - 32GB - AT&T
    Speck Candyshell
    ZAGG Tempered Glass
    mclarryjr likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:49 AM
    It's NOT a review, but an editorial based on early impressions and the opinion that the Note 5 isn't for power users due to the loss of user-replaceable battery and SD card features. Personally, as a Note 4 owner I think the editorial is spot on!
    But what if the battery actually lasts longer? (And it is for me) Then the uneducated preview would be not spot on.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:51 AM
    And this post says that a lot of people aren't happy with the battery life. Which is untrue. I've yet to see anyone that has one say that.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:54 AM
    XDA people tend to hate everything... even things they don't have or understand. Battery life is sooooo complicated of a thing that it is nearly impossible to judge. Certain torture tests are good for judging phone #1 vs phone #2 under reasonably controled conditions. Real life is a very poor tool to evaluate battery life.... and mah is terrible comparable. I have a smart watch that has a 325 mah battery and it lasts 2 days, even though its running android and 1/10th the battery size. The screen on the note 5 is not 10 times larger... there clearly are other factors. (extreme and stupid example, but you get the idea)
    Aquila, dsignori, MadAtMax and 1 others like this.
    08-16-2015 11:24 AM
    Battery life, in general, is really difficult to judge. Even most reviews, when done professionally, state that they get so much time, and ESTIMATE an average user should get about the whatever amount. Depending on what apps, widgets and other things you use, you could get way more or way less. Maybe you don't use wi-fi, always like having your location settings on and like your screen up full blast? Probably not going to get the same battery life as someone who uses a ton of wi-fi, no location, no Bluetooth and doesn't use a lot of widgets or emails that pull information constantly. You can go through just about every single forum for every single phone on here, read through the battery life threads and see how a few people get crappy life (either due to a bad phone or due to their settings), some get phenomenal life (luck of the draw, knowing how to use their phone, rooting or maybe using certain battery apps) and everyone else pretty much somewhere in the middle.
    As the tech gets better, battery life does too, but it all depends how you use it.
    dsignori and TenshiNo like this.
    08-16-2015 11:36 AM
    wait a year and compare again, Li-Ion battery does degrade over time, you know, like 10-30% capacity loss a year.
    kjlee2112 likes this.
    08-16-2015 12:23 PM
    It's NOT a review, but an editorial based on early impressions and the opinion that the Note 5 isn't for power users due to the loss of user-replaceable battery and SD card features. Personally, as a Note 4 owner I think the editorial is spot on!
    Imo, an editorial based on conjecture after Samsung unpacked event and even after some people got some time with the device is pointless. Might as well wait for a few days and do a hands-on. Now, if this was a while back then sure conjecture at that time would be fine.
    08-16-2015 12:33 PM
    Battery life, in general, is really difficult to judge. Even most reviews, when done professionally, state that they get so much time, and ESTIMATE an average user should get about the whatever amount. Depending on what apps, widgets and other things you use, you could get way more or way less. Maybe you don't use wi-fi, always like having your location settings on and like your screen up full blast? Probably not going to get the same battery life as someone who uses a ton of wi-fi, no location, no Bluetooth and doesn't use a lot of widgets or emails that pull information constantly. You can go through just about every single forum for every single phone on here, read through the battery life threads and see how a few people get crappy life (either due to a bad phone or due to their settings), some get phenomenal life (luck of the draw, knowing how to use their phone, rooting or maybe using certain battery apps) and everyone else pretty much somewhere in the middle.
    As the tech gets better, battery life does too, but it all depends how you use it.
    Well said.
    08-16-2015 12:40 PM
    Actually i do agree with removing the sd card...they are slow compared to int storage... sd cards belong in the past tech is about the future ... i also can live with the smaller battery if battery life i at least equal to my note 4
    BUT ....i can NOT settle for a 64 gb
    My note 4 has 96 gb and it's almost full ...i mean the S6 has a 128 gb option and it's a smaller phone
    Why would they not do the same for the note???? ...it makes no sense
    If i buy the note 5 it would be a huge DOWNGRADE ...storage wise

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 01:16 PM
3,351 1234 ...