04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 2425262728 ...
tools
    Got the phone Thursday night. Been tweaking and setting it up. Took it off the charger last night at around 9pm my time and had somewhat normal use outside from not streaming Spotify or At Bat while driving like I usually do. I think I'm on the right track with things. I don't have too much on-screen time with normal but I'd like to go from getting 1:45 or so to about 3 or 4 like you guys are getting. I still think it seems relatively healthy and hopefully it settles in nicely.

Any problem areas stand out to you guys? Let me know if I should tweak anything. I have location on wifi network only or whatever that setting is and Google Now on. I slept from 3am to about 10am too and my battery drained like 5% or something. I'm on wifi at home but just regular mobile network while I was out last night and just a bit today.

Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-11.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-29.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-52.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-08-29-17-17-01.jpg
    08-29-2015 07:23 PM
    Got the phone Thursday night. Been tweaking and setting it up. Took it off the charger last night at around 9pm my time and had somewhat normal use outside from streaming Spotify or At Bat while driving. I think I'm on the right track with things. I don't have too much on-screen time with normal but I'd like to go from getting 1:45 or so to about 3 or 4 like you guys are getting. I still think it seems relatively healthy and hopefully it settles in nicely.

Any problem areas stand out to you guys? Let me know if I should tweak anything. I have location on wifi network only or whatever that setting is and Google Now on. I slept from 3am to about 10am too and my battery drained like 5% or something. I'm on wifi at home but just regular mobile network while I was out last night and just a bit today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-11.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	193902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-29.jpg 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	193903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-52.jpg 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	193904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-29-17-17-01.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	193905
    I have no idea how you guys get that much. I've never come close. Then again I use this for work and get 25-30 emails each day or more and use Facebook frequently.

I also use Google Now as I really like what it does so GPS is enabled. Not sure if this makes a difference or not. Meaning I have it enabled for use of the apps.

One thing I liked about iPhone 6+ was you could tell GPS or location to use apps in various states. So I never had it set to on unless the app was in use. Not sure if that is possible in this case.
    08-29-2015 07:28 PM
    Really dont want another facotry reset. Got all the settings and apps installed. Batelly life is okay just over 4 hours sot on full charge

Posted via the Android Central App
    Just wanted to try to help you. You don't have to do a factory reset. You can reset the gsam stuff in the gsam app. Makes it kind of start over. I'm not sure where it is without looking but it's in there. You could also probably just uninstall it and reinstall .
    08-29-2015 07:47 PM
    Very light use over 4 days, but looks like standby time is crazy. 62 hrs with 3 1/2 hrs sot.

Location off, I sync mail myself, and a few other tweaks in this thread.
    Chris

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-3927.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-3928.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-3929.jpg  
    08-29-2015 08:08 PM
    I have had my phone disconnected since 5:53 am pacífic time,and it is now 6:23 pm do these seem like good battery stats?

I have used it fairly, but not as heavy as when I'm at work.

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-497.jpg  
    08-29-2015 08:24 PM
    What do you mean reinstall? What did you do? Who's your carrier
    So if you ever used an iPhone there is an option in iTunes to download a NEW copy of ios and then install it. There is an option to do the same in Smart sync or if that doesn't work Samsung Kies. You load up smartsync, go to tools then firmware upgrade and initialization. You will need your model number and serial number. It will download a completely new copy of the note software and have you put your phone into recovery mode. It will then install the new software erasing everything.

There is a weird line between hardware and software. Sometimes the software takes better than before and things run better.

Sent from my smexy Note 5
    08-29-2015 09:20 PM
    Expanding: right now I have Verizon VOLTE on and I have ZERO cell standby drain. The only thing I can think of is Google now which I have NOT enabled.

Sent from my smexy Note 5
    08-29-2015 09:22 PM
    This is what I get it is now at 13% and has been disconnected since 5:53AM Pacific Time and it is now 7:26PM with pretty good use.

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-601.jpg  
    08-29-2015 09:26 PM

One thing I liked about iPhone 6+ was you could tell GPS or location to use apps in various states. So I never had it set to on unless the app was in use. Not sure if that is possible in this case.
    Would be nice if we had the option. Funny how android is supposed to be more open and customizable...
    08-29-2015 09:42 PM
    Does Wi-Fi affect standby? Honest question cause I was home from the time I took the phone off the charger at 7:15ish am and was on Wi-Fi till I left the house at 4:45 to officiate a high school football game. Met my crew around 5 with 14% standby time. From 4:45 to 11 my phone has been on 4G. Here are some screen shots. I took a screen shot at halftime.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1440909285142.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1440909330199.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1440909353029.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1440909491219.jpg  
    UJ95x likes this.
    08-29-2015 11:38 PM
    Does Wi-Fi affect standby? Honest question cause I was home from the time I took the phone off the charger at 7:15ish am and was on Wi-Fi till I left the house at 4:45 to officiate a high school football game. Met my crew around 5 with 14% standby time. From 4:45 to 11 my phone has been on 4G. Here are some screen shots. I took a screen shot at halftime.
    WiFi usually improves standby if you have poor cell signal. But cell stand by is a known issue in Android that Google hasn't fixed yet. Apparently carries over for some other phones, although I've never personally experienced it on my Note 4

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-29-2015 11:58 PM
    Check in the S6 forum a thread I created back in April about Tips and Tweaks to get better battery life on the S6 and S6 edge. It's kind of funny to see same things happening to the Note 5 and S6 edge plus, that tells you how similar they are , and because of that most if not all of what has been discussed there can be applied with the new devices.

Reading your issue immediately reminded me of a couple of things, like the Wifi always scanning option, WiFi calling and even the WiFi frequency you may be using, some reported (including me) that when using 5 Ghz connection there was unusual drain and when 2.4ghz was used there wasn't. So as you can see I'd suggest to take a look at that thread and see, but I know that there are a couple of things that may help you and others with this and other battery issues.
    08-30-2015 07:56 AM
    I learned about the Doze app here in this thread. Went to try it out on my current LG G2 and the app wanted to create a VPN. My spidey-senses went up and I backed out.

Aren't there significant security issues when you allow an app (and any number of unknown people) to have VPN access to your phone?
    08-30-2015 08:43 AM
    Yeah I can't seem to get rid of cell standby I even am using doze now and can't get it to go away.

08-30-2015 08:54 AM
    Yeah I can't seem to get rid of cell standby I even am using doze now and can't get it to go away.

Did you try the wipe cache partition and see if that works for you?
    08-30-2015 09:15 AM
    For those getting cell standby battery drain, the first thing to do is disable voice over lte. It has a different name on different carriers so google it but can you can usually get to it in dialer settings. The next is to disable WiFi calling if its available. Those are two things that always cause it and are bugs Google has to fix. Weak signal is the other.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-30-2015 09:17 AM
    For those getting cell standby battery drain, the first thing to do is disable voice over lte. It has a different name on different carriers so google it but can you can usually get to it in dialer settings. The next is to disable WiFi calling if its available. Those are two things that always cause it and are bugs Google has to fix. Weak signal is the other.

I disabled it and I see no option for WIFI calling(I have verizon).

Note 5 Battery life thread-11912891_10207327973307864_1412656212_n.jpg

I think that I have 5 days left(out of the 14 to return it), and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1). Having a weak signal obviously interferes with cell standby and my signal is poor. However, does turning off 4g negate that issue? As you can see in the above photo, I turned off mobile data and cell standby was still draining my battery.

2). Do you think it's the phone that is messed up or a software issue? I see other people post here and they don't have that issue at all. Should I exchange my phone?

BTW, the red on that graph isn't an indicator regarding my connection. It's red because my battery was at 8%
    08-30-2015 09:42 AM
    Did you try the wipe cache partition and see if that works for you?
    Yeah I have tried pretty much everything everyone has said to do. I have even reset my phone to factory.

08-30-2015 09:55 AM
    Yeah I have tried pretty much everything everyone has said to do. I have even reset my phone to factory.

I don't remember at this point.. What is your signal like?
    08-30-2015 09:56 AM

If you reset your phone to factory, did you go back and disable all that bloatware again? My phone was draining really fast. I disabled all I could figure out for sure. Turned off wifi calling. Turned off Voice over LTE. Wiped the partition cache. Since then the phone is acting more like my Note 3 and not dropping so much on standby or during use.
    08-30-2015 10:05 AM
    I disabled it and I see no option for WIFI calling(I have verizon).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11912891_10207327973307864_1412656212_n.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	193981

I think that I have 5 days left(out of the 14 to return it), and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1). Having a weak signal obviously interferes with cell standby and my signal is poor. However, does turning off 4g negate that issue? As you can see in the above photo, I turned off mobile data and cell standby was still draining my battery.

2). Do you think it's the phone that is messed up or a software issue? I see other people post here and they don't have that issue at all. Should I exchange my phone?

BTW, the red on that graph isn't an indicator regarding my connection. It's red because my battery was at 8%
    Cell standby is because of the cellular RADIO (the bug in lollipop is due to wifi and how it handles VOIP hence the problem with voice over lte and WiFi calling) , not data so disabling data won't have an effect. Sounds like your problem is poor signal which you can't do anything about unless you put the phone in airplane mode or get a signal boosting device like a microcell. WiFi calling is actually good for me at work where I get poor signal despite the cell standby drain it causes. I put phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi and WiFi calling and I can make calls and send texts from places I never got signal before. Nothing drains a phone faster than when its trying to fight to hang on to a poor signal. Not sure when verizon wifi calling will be activated. I'm on t mobile.

w7sg likes this.
    08-30-2015 10:59 AM
    Cell standby is because of the cellular RADIO (the bug in lollipop is due to wifi and how it handles VOIP hence the problem with voice over lte and WiFi calling) , not data so disabling data won't have an effect. Sounds like your problem is poor signal which you can't do anything about unless you put the phone in airplane mode or get a signal boosting device like a microcell. WiFi calling is actually good for me at work where I get poor signal despite the cell standby drain it causes. I put phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi and WiFi calling and I can make calls and send texts from places I never got signal before. Nothing drains a phone faster than when its trying to fight to hang on to a poor signal. Not sure when verizon wifi calling will be activated. I'm on t mobile.

Yeah, I contacted verizon and they told me that my area has an extremely poor signal(Long Island's signal is only good when you are on major roads usually) so they told me that they would look into it to try to fix it and they'd report back to me within 3-5 business days.

Why didn't this ever happen with my galaxy s4 though? I had poor signal on that and the standby rarely went above 3-5%
    dllrogers55 likes this.
    08-30-2015 11:08 AM
    Yeah, I contacted verizon and they told me that my area has an extremely poor signal(Long Island's signal is only good when you are on major roads usually) so they told me that they would look into it to try to fix it and they'd report back to me within 3-5 business days.

Why didn't this ever happen with my galaxy s4 though? I had poor signal on that and the standby rarely went above 3-5%
    Did you ask them for a free signal booster? If customer service won't do it, I would check with a store manager.
    08-30-2015 11:10 AM
    Did you ask them for a free signal booster? If customer service won't do it, I would check with a store manager.
    I didn't ask them yet but if verizon can't fix the signal problem on long island, then I may have to do that because I rarely get above 1-2 bars unless I am on the long island expressway or another major long island road.
    08-30-2015 11:16 AM
    I didn't ask them yet but if verizon can't fix the signal problem on long island, then I may have to do that because I rarely get above 1-2 bars unless I am on the long island expressway or another major long island road.
    Well if they offer it free, you can get it and just send it back of they get the issue fixed, if they require it to be returned. T-Mobile does, but AT&T didn't. AT&T didn't offer them free, but some stores would give them free. T-Mobile gives them free to everyone.
    08-30-2015 11:31 AM
3,351 ... 2425262728 ...