04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    Now I need to just find a good thin case. That's in a different forum no doubt
    Yes...there's a sticky post on cases...

Here is my contribution to the thread (with my current case prospect): http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4651794
    08-31-2015 07:12 PM
    So u can see battery here. Top is cut off but it says 4 hours remaining. Not sure what Google play services would be running.

Curious what some think of my stats here. I'm not getting the epic battery most are getting

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-978.jpg  
    08-31-2015 07:13 PM
    Do you have a product link for your rapid charger?
    This is the car charger I have, world really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-iVoler...cUvbUpU4651966
    08-31-2015 07:23 PM
    So u can see battery here. Top is cut off but it says 4 hours remaining. Not sure what Google play services would be running.

Curious what some think of my stats here. I'm not getting the epic battery most are getting

Google play is fine.

This is mine, SwiftKey was left off, it is the only one under all this and it is 2%

What is your signal like?
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1441067109724.jpg  
    08-31-2015 07:25 PM

If your battery life is that horrendous after a factory reset, I would exchange the phone, pure and simple. Something isn't right. It shouldn't take this much work to get decent battery life.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    08-31-2015 07:32 PM
    If your battery life is that horrendous after a factory reset, I would exchange the phone, pure and simple. Something isn't right. It shouldn't take this much work to get decent battery life.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    It isn't that simple, a lot has happened.
    08-31-2015 07:35 PM
    So I need a separate app for that?

Yes, download the one that I told you, ES file Explorer, check the option to show hidden files look for what I told you, be sure to just delete the .nomedia if it appears on your main root folder, or any of the media folders like Music, Ringtones, DCIM or video files, if you can't find anything then it's not that and then you can uninstall the app.
    08-31-2015 07:40 PM
    Google play is fine.

This is mine, SwiftKey was left off, it is the only one under all this and it is 2%

What is your signal like?
    Signal has been great all day. 4g with 3 Bars most of the time

08-31-2015 07:47 PM
    Do you have GSam installed?

First you need to reset it reflash at BB to get the ringtone issue taken care of. No reason to do all this and then have to reset after it is all set up.
    08-31-2015 07:52 PM
    This is what quickly reopens after I use shutapp. Maybe I'll try removing these apps.

I have an S health widget and an S note widget... maybe those are causing the drain? I still think it's a combo of Google Now and Google Wallet... anyone else ever see any issues with Wallet?
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1441067372704.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1441069360766.jpg  
    08-31-2015 08:02 PM
    I don't know if AC forums opens up again for me, but I have no notifications on it and have it open a lot anyway.

I think that clock is the system clock, mine doesn't open up again.
    08-31-2015 08:08 PM
    I picked up my phone from the charger this morning at 6am and have purposely kept it away from the charger all day long...

With light/moderate use, my battery is now at 61% (it is 4pm now...10 hours later). Admittedly, I have not used the phone much today...

I am optimistic that with the Adaptive Charging, that the Note 5 will largely meet my needs. Supposedly the adaptive charging goes from 0%-50% in 30 minutes, and to 100% in a little over an hour... That means that if you stop by a coffee shop or a restaurant for lunch, and they have an AC outlet available, you can be at 50%-100% while you eat or have you cup of coffee... Not bad, right?

My main issue is that I like to use my phone as my main (and only) camera...when I am on a personal or business trip, I sometimes take 100 photos in the span of 30-60 minutes. With that use case, the battery burns down pretty quickly, and usually I am not near an AC outlet in those situations... I'll need to get a portable battery that supports adaptive charging. Samsung has one, but it's pretty pricey...their website shows it as going for $69.99 when it releases...
    I am at 12 hours now, and my battery is at 56%... Again, admittedly it is a light usage day... I'll need to do the same test with a moderate and heavy usage... Based on other reviews, I have heard that the "screen on time" is more like 4 hours...
    08-31-2015 08:10 PM
    Do you have GSam installed?

First you need to reset it reflash at BB to get the ringtone issue taken care of. No reason to do all this and then have to reset after it is all set up.
    OK I did a total reboot. Treated it as fresh install

Ring tones are back.

What was name of app that works well with Doze again that sleeps apps again?

08-31-2015 08:19 PM
    OK I did a total reboot. Treated it as fresh install

Ring tones are back.

What was name of app that works well with Doze again that sleeps apps again?

ShutApp.. And I think I'm doing ShutApp by itself
    08-31-2015 09:03 PM
    Does anyone have any idea how to fix Android OS drain?
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1441075055507.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1441075063539.jpg  
    08-31-2015 09:37 PM
    You guys are so crazy in this thread, installing, uninstalling, resetting, disabling, etc... You shouldn't have to do that with a brand new phone to get decent battery life. You didn't spend $800-1000 on a new phone to sit with everything off and the brightness to minimum. On my Note 3 I could pull 1-3 days depending on my usage but I would always finish the day at like 50% with heavy use. Now from a friend who has it and what I have read from others this phone barely pulls a full day of usage from a charge! And don't say, well you can charge it with quick charge! You shouldn't have to fill up your car every few hours so why would you want to fill up your phone the same way? Samsung needs to rethink it's priorities and re-do the next generation of Samsung phones.
    bhatech likes this.
    09-01-2015 12:15 AM
    Man Wifi makes this phone battery go down noticeably faster than on LTE...it's crazy to me... Might as well never go on WiFi

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!
    leggy likes this.
    09-01-2015 12:23 AM
    I picked up my phone from the charger this morning at 6am and have purposely kept it away from the charger all day long...

With light/moderate use, my battery is now at 61% (it is 4pm now...10 hours later). Admittedly, I have not used the phone much today...

I am optimistic that with the Adaptive Charging, that the Note 5 will largely meet my needs. Supposedly the adaptive charging goes from 0%-50% in 30 minutes, and to 100% in a little over an hour... That means that if you stop by a coffee shop or a restaurant for lunch, and they have an AC outlet available, you can be at 50%-100% while you eat or have you cup of coffee... Not bad, right?

My main issue is that I like to use my phone as my main (and only) camera...when I am on a personal or business trip, I sometimes take 100 photos in the span of 30-60 minutes. With that use case, the battery burns down pretty quickly, and usually I am not near an AC outlet in those situations... I'll need to get a portable battery that supports adaptive charging. Samsung has one, but it's pretty pricey...their website shows it as going for $69.99 when it releases...
    I am at 12 hours now, and my battery is at 56%... Again, admittedly it is a light usage day... I'll need to do the same test with a moderate and heavy usage... Based on other reviews, I have heard that the "screen on time" is more like 4 hours...
    One more update before I turn in for the evening... It's nearly 11pm here, my Note 5 has been running for nearly 17 hours and my battery level reads 38%. As mentioned earlier, I am going to need to do a similar test on a moderate or heavy use day... But this test has proven to me that this phone will likely go 24 hours on a single charge with light use...
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-01-2015 12:46 AM
    Kelly, do you also have greenify or only shutapp?
    09-01-2015 01:16 AM
    I know about Doze, but can somebody tell me if Permissions will affect battery life once M is released? I assume if Twitter, Facebook, etc isn't granted permissions, there will be less things running in the background, thus improving performance and battery life.

Is that assumption accurate, or is there something I'm missing? I'm not expecting anybody to quantify it, but curious if that will positively impact battery life specifically.
    09-01-2015 02:01 AM
    The less you lose while sleeping, is an indication the phone goes into a deep sleep when it is not being used. That is good on battery. My N4 can lose only about 1% maybe 2% and I joke it doesn't sleep, but goes into a coma. It is an exception.

Now as far as the charger, you are fine leaving it overnight. When it gets "full" it will stop charging and won't kick in and start charging again unless you lose a certain amount of battery. So there are points that it is on the charger and it isn't really charging. To see how much your phone is sleeping, it would be good to charge it right before you go to sleep, take it off the charger and then see what you lose at night. Let's see if it is going into a deep sleep and of something is waking the phone. Your phone can wake without the phone screen coming on. Your phone not going into a deep sleep can be the thing that will eat up your battery.
    I'll have to try that if I ever regress and have issues. Right now I'm pretty good. Had a pretty light use day. No driving to work streaming music or baseball or anything. Used 59% in 13 hours thus far. Screen ontime is 2:10 and has accounted for 19% of use according to GSam. Phone Radio and WiFi active are both the same as my total battery use. I've had my wifi on all day and have been home for the vast majority, but I have "Keep Wifi on During Sleep" only when plugged in which it hasn't been for 13 hours. Is there a setting for deep sleep that I need to set so the Wifi Active isn't as high as the total battery or am I not reading that stat properly?

Weird thing I've been noticing is how much % Swiftkey has used. According to the App Usage panel on Gsam, Swiftkey accounts for 2.6% of my use. That's more than Google Services, Gogle App, Twitter, Textra, etc. It's only behind Android System (18.6%), Kernel (7.9%" and System Media Server (3.1%). That's peculiar, no?
    09-01-2015 02:56 AM
    Okay I did some real comparison.

My test:
    Note 3 1.5 years old
    Note 5 1 week or so old been through 5 full recharges
    Both phone same minimal apps nothing running in background
    Both phones connected to wifi and cellular service
    Both phones next to each other full time
    Both phones at the closest brightness my eyes could match. Note 3 was at 75% brightness scale. Note 5 was at 50%.
    Both phones did the exact same procedures
    Both phones did 30 mins of youtube, a few hours of twitch.tv streaming, a few hours web surfing. Same sites same videos.

I took periodic screenshots of each. I might post later.

Conclusion Note 5 battery died out first and went into auto shutdown. Meanwhile Note 3 was still at 15%. Note 5 died at 5 hours and i think 5 minutes off the top of my head.
    09-01-2015 03:30 AM
    You guys are so crazy in this thread, installing, uninstalling, resetting, disabling, etc... You shouldn't have to do that with a brand new phone to get decent battery life. You didn't spend $800-1000 on a new phone to sit with everything off and the brightness to minimum. On my Note 3 I could pull 1-3 days depending on my usage but I would always finish the day at like 50% with heavy use. Now from a friend who has it and what I have read from others this phone barely pulls a full day of usage from a charge! And don't say, well you can charge it with quick charge! You shouldn't have to fill up your car every few hours so why would you want to fill up your phone the same way? Samsung needs to rethink it's priorities and re-do the next generation of Samsung phones.
    Dude. That is the nature of Android which you WELL know. Google likes to run crap in the background which is not needed. For one, why is Google Music running in the background when it isn't on? That isn't the phone manufacturer. That is Android. The same OS by the way, you use.

Next. Not all phones are identical. Anyone with the barest understanding of physics should know this. The physical aspect as well as the software aspect. Sometimes the software just sticks better but that isn't Samsung's fault.

Throwing a bigger battery at a problem is not the answer. You seem, to think it is, but it isn't. Android has never been and probably will never be battery efficient. Every app developer seems to think it is ok to take all the resources it wants and allow crap to run in the background regardless of if I am using that app and have chosen no notifications.

"I shouldn't have to refill my car" what kind of car do you have? Seriously I want one. I want a car that doesn't need to be refilled or lose gas because I have a turbo V8 engine in it. I want a car that can leak gas and still not need a refill like you have. Please, tell me what car you have.
    09-01-2015 03:36 AM
    Every phone I have owned, I have deleted bloatware. Some carriers add more than other carriers.

As far as several in this thread, many are coming from iOS and haven't had to set up anything on their phone

But thanks for your help!
    09-01-2015 03:51 AM
    Does anyone have any idea how to fix Android OS drain?
    Android OS can pop up if you have been idle a lot. Has your phone been idle a lot today?

Most of the time, with moderate to heavy use, my highest is screen. When my screen is high and my Android OS or System pops up high (it happens on occasion) I generally will do a hard reset (hold down power and volume down) until the phone reboots, sometimes I will do a cache wipe if it doesn't settle down. If your phone is idle for a long time, having your Android OS pop up high isn't all that abnormal.
    James8561 likes this.
    09-01-2015 04:01 AM
3,351 ... 3233343536 ...