04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 3738394041 ...
tools
    Doze didn't seem to do a ton for me but shutapp seems like the real deal. I'm approaching 7 hours of SOT an thats with playing a game for 2 hours. Unreal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...9bb48bf3ea.jpg
    how often do you close apps with shutup?
    09-02-2015 11:47 AM
    ShutApp keeps them hibernated if they aren't on the whitelist.
    09-02-2015 12:02 PM
    How much SOT are you getting?
    Oops. Forgot to get that one. Here they are a little bit later before I went to bed.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 12:13 PM
    I had the note 5 for 6 days now and noticed the battery life isnt great coming from a zte zmax which is a cheap phone but it has a huge battery and it made it threw the day even with heavy usage and i sometimes was able to use the phone on the same charge the next day! Now with this note 5 the that is a NO! Apps keep freakin running and i do end them and then some pop up again! Also the cell standby is the number 2 killer of my battery drain! Is this cell standby thing happening with everyone who has freakin t-mobile?!? Is there a fix? I havent heard any complaints of the cell standby issue with verizon or at&t! Also i shouldnt have to turn on power saving mode to get threw the day with this phone because when i do turn it on it sucks and makes my phone run choppy! My zte zmax only costed my $250 and the battery can last me a full day and a half yea it took crappy pictures and wasnt as fast but still never needed to plug it up!

Screen brightness on auto and mostly of the day im using wifi i dunno if these things can be the cause of it? Also have all my vibrations on. Volte is on as well. Sync is always on. Font is set on large. Smart stay off. Screen mode Amoled cinema. daydream off. Everything for the s-pen is off since i dont use it. Motions and gestures are all off.

These apps keep running even after i end them=Google play service, T-mobile my account,Facebook messenger, Google app, camera, s-note,messages,contacts

Help me out before i return this thing because besides the battery and apps keep running i love it!
    Just like with cars, do you want to go fast, look nice and have all the extras or a car that gets great MPG and can go a week without fueling? I think the Note 5 has a great balance between power and battery life. I am sure a flip phone from 5 years ago could go a week off the charger. Having less battery life would never make me switch to an iPhone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 12:23 PM
    Just like with cars, do you want to go fast, look nice and have all the extras or a car that gets great MPG and can go a week without fueling? I think the Note 5 has a great balance between power and battery life. I am sure a flip phone from 5 years ago could go a week off the charger. Having less battery life would never make me switch to an iPhone.
    LOL... Good analogy...

Many people are looking for the unicorn combination of a well-built, sporty looking car that has 500 horsepower, zero-to-sixty in under 4 seconds, sips ounces of fuel, achieving 40+ miles per gallon (preferably more!)... Oh, and it's gotta be under $30,000.00 MSRP.
    09-02-2015 12:32 PM
    And would be better than I got from the note 4 with my usage.
    Do you have your Note 4 test with new battery results to compare to what you posted here about the Note 5?

Samsung kicked their Note buying base under the bus and are trying to entice iPhone users to make the switch.

They didn't offer present Samsung owners a 30 day trail of the Note 5,did they.

Not everyone uses all or most of a phones features but the sum of all the users that like a particular model features are what makes a phone a hit..

Removing features lessens your base.

The Note 5 could have been great if only Samsung created a phone for it's base,not Apple's
    09-02-2015 12:37 PM
    Its a great phone- I just came from a Nexus5. Before that Captivate, GS II, GSIII.
    Battery is better than I imagined, and I am not afraid of the cloud IF I need storage. It works for me.
    09-02-2015 12:46 PM
    I white list the apps that I use all the time so if I see one open i usually close right away. I'd say I'm hibernating apps maybe 5 times a day.

I think where most of the battery savings come from is all the apps it initially hibernates right after rebooting the phone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 12:52 PM
    LOL... Good analogy...

Many people are looking for the unicorn combination of a well-built, sporty looking car that has 500 horsepower, zero-to-sixty in under 4 seconds, sips ounces of fuel, achieving 40+ miles per gallon (preferably more!)... Oh, and it's gotta be under $30,000.00 MSRP.
    Such a combination does exist if you care to peek outside Galaxy ecosystem. Moto Turbo and Xperia Z series all have fantastic battery life and are very powerful at the same time.
    09-02-2015 12:59 PM
    OK... NOW we are talking. I like GSAM's stats better. See that mobile radio line item... 38%! Yikes! Well, look at it again. 1.5 hours, you had your screen on for 4 minutes, so essentially idle. Your phone radio shows that it was responsible for 38% of the power used over that span... what amounts to a 1%/h drain. That is fairly high, but that could mean that your mobile signal is junk and the transmitter has to crank up the power to get a decent connection.

....Or there could be a bug in the firmware that is causing the radio to broadcast at too high a power in some situations.

Good news is that GSAM can give you a detailed breakdown of how long your signal was at a particular quality and how much power that used. Bad news is that you need to install the GSAM companion app, which requires root access.
    09-02-2015 01:21 PM
    I've had my Note 5 a week and a half now, and the last couple of days I've noticed my old enemy from my Note 4 days has returned... the Android System battery drain.

In GSAM and the built in battery meter, it's consistently listed as the top battery hog. Of course, since Android System consists of a hundred or more individual services, it's near impossible to determine what exactly is the cause.

I fought it for the last several months on the Note 4 and eventually moved on from the phone because of it.

Very skittish now about committing to the Note 5, even though battery in general on it has been great.

This is on Verizon with bloatware apps disabled, btw.

Anyone else seeing massive drains from the Android System?
    09-02-2015 01:41 PM
    Play Services got updated a few days ago, maybe that's what's causing the jump in battery drain? You can try clearing the Cache on Play Services from the App Manager or if that doesn't work, try uninstalling updates from it, reboot, and let it re-update on its own.
    09-02-2015 01:46 PM
    Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-01.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-09.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-17.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-28.jpg
    I wanted to test standby time where I have good coverage. I don't use fb, twitter, etc. I have 2 google accounts with majority syncing. All the google now stuff is on. I used the phone for about 30 mins, a few messages (<20), and the rest of the SOT can be attributed to internet and youtube. I did restart my phone late last night because I noticed android system was keeping my phone awake for no reason (you can see the change in slope around 2 am mark). Hopefully android M will fix some of these wake issues. I am the opposite of a power user so I can't speak for everyone here, but I think that most people's problem on this thread is bad reception.
    09-02-2015 01:49 PM
    What else has jumped aside from AS?
    My son had this on his Note 4 and it was in conjunction with new heavy YouTube usage.

Something to check....
    09-02-2015 02:34 PM
    OK... NOW we are talking. I like GSAM's stats better. See that mobile radio line item... 38%! Yikes! Well, look at it again. 1.5 hours, you had your screen on for 4 minutes, so essentially idle. Your phone radio shows that it was responsible for 38% of the power used over that span... what amounts to a 1%/h drain. That is fairly high, but that could mean that your mobile signal is junk and the transmitter has to crank up the power to get a decent connection.

....Or there could be a bug in the firmware that is causing the radio to broadcast at too high a power in some situations.

Good news is that GSAM can give you a detailed breakdown of how long your signal was at a particular quality and how much power that used. Bad news is that you need to install the GSAM companion app, which requires root access.
    At the very end of the day, right before I plug it in, I'm averaging about 3.5% per hour, with between 3-4 hours of SOT. The phone provides useful service and can stay alive for many hours more than any normal human can stay awake . Why does it matter what is drawing that power?

The radio uses power. In this case, 38% of the 4% used at that time (that;s 1.52% of the total) went out the antenna. As of this post, I've used 29% of the battery, 47 min SOT, 36% (of the 29%) when out the screen and 7% (of the 29%) went out the antenna . What confuses me more than anything else is why folks think the radio's battery usage is some kind of bug. It works great. It lasts as long, or longer, than the iPhone 6 (the 5" one) it replaced. This phone is awesome! You guys just need to stop obsessing over over every little nitnoid statistic you can find and just use the damn phone for a few weeks.
    09-02-2015 02:38 PM
    Again. No idea how people are getting this epic battery life without shutting down tons of features. Mine is attached and I have Approx 3 hours left.

It's OK but not the unreal stuff I've seen from others.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Could be the google app has a ton of wakelocks. Try turning it off.
    09-02-2015 02:43 PM

These apps keep running even after i end them=Google play service, T-mobile my account,Facebook messenger, Google app, camera, s-note,messages,contacts

Help me out before i return this thing because besides the battery and apps keep running i love it!
    Try turning off Volte and disabling your Google app (not just ending it)....unless you actually use google now.
    09-02-2015 02:47 PM
    i shouldnt have to disable a damn thing for a phone i paid $760 for yet my zte zmax with heavy usage got me threw a full day and half of the next day just from one charge! I dont wanna turn Volte off cause when im on calls i like to use my internet. I only use google chrome web browser.
    09-02-2015 03:54 PM
    i shouldnt have to disable a damn thing for a phone i paid $760 for yet my zte zmax with heavy usage got me threw a full day and half of the next day just from one charge! I dont wanna turn Volte off cause when im on calls i like to use my internet. I only use google chrome web browser.
    Well actually, you do have to disable some things if you don't want to burn through battery. This phone does a lot more than your other phone.

You are on T-Mobile, right? You don't need VoLTE to talk and be on the net at the same time.
    reidcc likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:56 PM
    if i disable google app will that effect anything that i need to use? also i noticed facebook messenger is always using 72mb and even if i end the app it comes back on
    09-02-2015 03:57 PM
    Try turning off Volte and disabling your Google app (not just ending it)....unless you actually use google now.
    I've tried disabling Google App and it's greyed out

09-02-2015 03:57 PM
    yes i know that but with volte on the internet speeds are faster is why i want it on.
    09-02-2015 03:58 PM
    if i disable google app will that effect anything that i need to use? also i noticed facebook messenger is always using 72mb and even if i end the app it comes back on
    It is always going to come back up. 72 mb is a small amount. If it starts using a large percentage of your battery, then that is another issue.
    09-02-2015 03:59 PM
    My battery life so far

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1942.jpg  
    09-02-2015 04:01 PM
    when i click on ram it shows facebook messenger is on top of the list using the most ram is there anyway i can stop it from running after im done using it?
    09-02-2015 04:03 PM
3,351 ... 3738394041 ...