04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 4041424344 ...
tools
    Mine says "since Aug 28" that is when the averages are gathered from.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1441283240331.jpg  
    09-03-2015 07:27 AM
    Well I took my Note 5 back. I was disappointed to take it back. The phone was awesome except the battery life. I was tearing through it. I tweaked it to get right around 4 SOT. I think Verizon Note 5 has worse battery life than the others. I am now rocking a Moto E on Verizon waiting to see what happens with Nexus and Iphones this month.
    09-03-2015 10:35 AM
    Motos are great for reception, battery life, slow processors, and no features
    09-03-2015 11:20 AM
    I too think Kelly is right, and that it is also the source of my issues at home. Attached is my cell signal. It's not particularly good. Tomorrow night I will try to add a signal booster (I'm on vzw and it's a 1x booster only).
    I just ordered this:

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-243.jpg  
    09-03-2015 11:23 AM
    I just ordered this:

Let us know how it works. I have poor signal in my house but I can't bring myself to pay the asking price for those devices.
    09-03-2015 11:47 AM
    I just ordered this:

You mean Verizon doesn't give any away?

AT&T sells them, but sometimes store managers or customer care will give them away when you complain about your signal.
    09-03-2015 11:47 AM
    I am 100% convinced that poor battery life is result of two things:

Google App.
    Poor Cell Coverage

I noticed Google app was high on list of things eating battery. After 2 hours this AM it was at 6% So I disabled Google Now (even though I Iike it).

Results? Magically my battery has gotten better. No question for me this was biggest drain or one of them.

I ordered cell range extender and will attempt to solve that over the weekend.

Then I will turn Google Now back on and test that side of it.

Just hate fact I have to spend my time doing it.

BTW. I'm also sure that the hardware internals of iPhone is better. Meaning I believe they have more radios that help to pull better signal. I never had an issue with my 6+ with coverage but before I had that phone I had the Note 3 and did have it.

09-03-2015 11:50 AM
    You mean Verizon doesn't give any away?

AT&T sells them, but sometimes store managers or customer care will give them away when you complain about your signal.
    They do but it only works for 3g and they are not free. $100 but my company is letting me expense this one.

09-03-2015 11:52 AM
    Well I took my Note 5 back. I was disappointed to take it back. The phone was awesome except the battery life. I was tearing through it. I tweaked it to get right around 4 SOT. I think Verizon Note 5 has worse battery life than the others. I am now rocking a Moto E on Verizon waiting to see what happens with Nexus and Iphones this month.
    Battery life for me was about the same as the note 4. About 5-7 hours SOT in a regular days usage.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-03-2015 11:52 AM

Google App.
    Poor Cell Coverage

I noticed Google app was high on list of things eating battery. After 2 hours this AM it was at 6% So I disabled Google Now (even though I Iike it).

Results? Magically my battery has gotten better. No question for me this was biggest drain or one of them.

BTW. I'm also sure that the hardware internals of iPhone is better. Meaning I believe they have more radios that help to pull better signal. I never had an issue with my 6+ with coverage but before I had that phone I had the Note 3 and did have it.

The thing about Google Now.. It uses location, which uses GPS, WiFi and cell network, so good signal cam change that.
    09-03-2015 12:05 PM

Google App.
    Poor Cell Coverage

I have full bars where I am at. Still bad drain.
    09-03-2015 12:16 PM
    I have full bars where I am at. Still bad drain.
    The there was something else going on with your phone.
    09-03-2015 12:22 PM
    Proof of my improvement after disabling Google Now?

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-248.jpg  
    09-03-2015 01:01 PM
    I've attached a screenshot for this question. Why does this keep popping up constantly in my notifications? I use SwiftKey and disabled Samsung keyboard completely because it was happening all the time. Still keeps happening.

Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-247.jpg  
    09-03-2015 01:07 PM
    it is a KB notification, it will pop up when you have any KB active IIRC.
    Almeuit and Kelly Kearns like this.
    09-03-2015 01:16 PM
    Proof of my improvement after disabling Google Now?

Oh I don't doubt it. A lot also depends on what you have Google Now doing. I ran it on my Note 4, but didn't have it giving notifications for much or many cards being used.

The more you use it for, the more location is used, if your signal is bad, location keeps on and on trying to send a location to Google.
    09-03-2015 01:22 PM
    I've attached a screenshot for this question. Why does this keep popping up constantly in my notifications? I use SwiftKey and disabled Samsung keyboard completely because it was happening all the time. Still keeps happening.

It is only there when you have the keyboard up on another screen.
    09-03-2015 01:28 PM

it is a KB notification, it will pop up when you have any KB active IIRC.
    Clint is correct -- this is normal.
    09-03-2015 01:34 PM

Google App.
    Poor Cell Coverage

The thing about Google Now.. It uses location, which uses GPS, WiFi and cell network, so good signal cam change that.
    When I was reading this post of his, I immediately thought of the Location History (Location reporting) being the issue here, he may have explained this already but with the amount of posts on this thread is not easy to follow everybody, so spasell, do you have Location History on? You can still use Google Now but until Google changes back to separate Location reporting from Location History I'd always recommend to turn Location History off.

If you have Location History on, look no further, this is your battery drainer, it pings your phone every few minutes, every time it detects a different location, you can still use Google app, just turn your Location to Power saving Mode (Wifi and cell signal) and just use High accuracy when you need to use Google maps or any other similar app, you will see that you won't notice any difference with location on or off when in power saving mode. Plus you can still use Location services on google Maps, the one that tells you the nearest places and stuff.
    09-03-2015 01:40 PM

Like it was explained above, it will pop up when you have something to write to on screen, but it only appears if you have multiple keyboard installed and activated, so you can easily switch between them, if you leave just 1 keyboard, it won't appear.
    09-03-2015 01:47 PM
    When I was reading this post of his, I immediately thought of the Location History (Location reporting) being the issue here, he may have explained this already but with the amount of posts on this thread is not easy to follow everybody, so spasell, do you have Location History on? You can still use Google Now but until Google changes back to separate Location reporting from Location History I'd always recommend to turn Location History off.

If you have Location History on, look no further, this is your battery drainer, it pings your phone every few minutes, every time it detects a different location, you can still use Google app, just turn your Location to Power saving Mode (Wifi and cell signal) and just use High accuracy when you need to use Google maps or any other similar app, you will see that you won't notice any difference with location on or off when in power saving mode. Plus you can still use Location services on google Maps, the one that tells you the nearest places and stuff.
    Location history was turned off a week ago

09-03-2015 02:25 PM
    Oh I don't doubt it. A lot also depends on what you have Google Now doing. I ran it on my Note 4, but didn't have it giving notifications for much or many cards being used.

The more you use it for, the more location is used, if your signal is bad, location keeps on and on trying to send a location to Google.
    Location history was off. Notification was on because I like it for reminders. I love reminders. When u shut off notifications reminders down pop up.

With my iPhone I would just speak what I wanted to be reminded to do and worked perfectly. So does Google but Google now needs to be a active and notifications on.

Since I disabled it from what I am seeing I might get BETTER battery than my 6+ at this rate.

09-03-2015 02:29 PM
    Location history was off. Notification was on because I like it for reminders. I love reminders. When u shut off notifications reminders down pop up.

With my iPhone I would just speak what I wanted to be reminded to do and worked perfectly. So does Google but Google now needs to be a active and notifications on.

Since I disabled it from what I am seeing I might get BETTER battery than my 6+ at this rate.

Still if signal is the issue, you will get better battery with Google Now when the signal isn't an issue and the booster is used.
    09-03-2015 02:32 PM
    When I saw the screen and battery specs on this phone I knew there would be a large battery life thread. I didn't anticipate over 1k replies though.

09-03-2015 03:00 PM
    When I saw the screen and battery specs on this phone I knew there would be a large battery life thread. I didn't anticipate over 1k replies though.

Always battery life threads, since the beginning of this forum. Most of the posts are just a few people having specific issues.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    09-03-2015 03:23 PM
3,351 ... 4041424344 ...