04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 4445464748 ...
tools
    If everyone is disabling most of the features that Android has to offer, why even get an Android device. But then you brag to Apple user about all the features the Android device can do that the iPhone can't. I leave all my services on and try to take advantage of all Android has to offer. I also have an iPhone 6+ and battery is better on that device but it's what's expected because my Note 5 handles things totally different. If I wanted to neuter my Note 5, there's no point in having it because I already have an iPhone 6+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-05-2015 01:02 PM
    I have Cortana hibernated as well but said to was running in background when I looked at battery report. Was at 6% by time I plugged in last night. Battery went 14 hours for me yesterday.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Where can I get Cortana?

09-05-2015 01:03 PM
    Turn on airplane and then turn WiFi back on.
    Thanks you will do this today. And i have Galaxy s4, which also have same signal. But this will drain only 5% over night.
    09-05-2015 01:16 PM
    Battery is doing well IMO.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
    PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-3450.jpg  
    09-05-2015 01:40 PM
    Thanks to suggestions and tips in this thread, I believe I've remedied my issue with subpar battery life. I ended up restoring the device and setting it up as new. Then I set the device up the way I like. I have installed both Doze and Shutapp. I noticed an immediate difference yesterday when I didn't see a 35% drop off with only 30 minutes of on screen time that only consisted of me viewing notifications and reading a handful of emails. Yesterday, I was able to hold a 90 minute phone convo, text, surf and answer emails over a 9 hour time span and was down to 70%. I didn't have to charge the device until this afternoon after heavy YouTube surfing.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1441485238022.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1441485253342.jpg  
    reidcc, MadAtMax and AlexMarie15 like this.
    09-05-2015 03:35 PM
    If everyone is disabling most of the features that Android has to offer, why even get an Android device. But then you brag to Apple user about all the features the Android device can do that the iPhone can't. I leave all my services on and try to take advantage of all Android has to offer. I also have an iPhone 6+ and battery is better on that device but it's what's expected because my Note 5 handles things totally different. If I wanted to neuter my Note 5, there's no point in having it because I already have an iPhone 6+.

I totally agree. If you are going to disable most of the Android goodies why bother with this phone.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
    Sammuel1973 and pauldroidr2d2 like this.
    09-05-2015 05:14 PM
    I totally agree. If you are going to disable most of the Android goodies why bother with this phone.

Carrier bloat is a feature? Hibernating apps so they don't run in the background is disabling them? Please tell me more. Go ahead and tell us how you use carrier bloat and see it as a feature. Go on

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    reidcc and erasat like this.
    09-05-2015 06:29 PM

It isn't disabling all that, it is disabling the crap apps that manufacturers and carriers put on as system apps.
    09-05-2015 06:50 PM
    Carrier bloat is a feature? Hibernating apps so they don't run in the background is disabling them? Please tell me more. Go ahead and tell us how you use carrier bloat and see it as a feature. Go on

Carrier bloat can be used for good (like wifi calling). Sure most of it isn't great but a few things are useful.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-05-2015 10:00 PM
    Some carrier added stuff is good, most seems to be annoying. I actually like Messages+ because I can text from my pc without Google voice
    09-05-2015 10:04 PM
    Today these are my battery results with battery percentage at 10%=
    10h 37m battery on time.
    Android system 14% 2hr 31m
    cell standby 10% 2h 25m
    screen on 7% time on 4hr 1m
    unkilled game 8%

does this seem normal?
    09-05-2015 11:32 PM
    I see people disabling Google Now. Isn't that what we brag about because it's so much better than Siri?

09-05-2015 11:33 PM
    Some carrier added stuff is good, most seems to be annoying. I actually like Messages+ because I can text from my pc without Google voice
    I loved messages+ when I was with Verizon but the constant assertion by these people that we're disabling every single thing on our phones or that all carrier bloat is useful is getting tiresome. Really tiresome.

Not every app is peaches and sunshine. They misbehave. They are more headache than they are worth so I find an alternative that is better. I don't use most Google services because Google has shown me they cannot create apps that behave. I use third party alternatives that do. I get the same functionality but my phone doesn't bleed out its battery.

The above people are asserting that we are disabling absolutely everything which is false. Plainly false. You identify misbehaving apps and disable them if you don't need the functionality or find alternatives if you do. You hibernate apps that you do not require to run in the background constantly using Doze and greenify. You keep all the functionality that you require and want. The functionality of my note 5 bypasses my 6+ and doesn't lag like previous versions. I am at 48% today and have 3hr20min of on screen time with Bluetooth on. Here are my apps

Plainly not a dumbphone. I use a smartwarch. You need to understand what happens when battery technology fails to keep up with other tech and also understand efficiency. These people think that they can throw additional batteries at the problem and every other solution is invalid. Wrong. The great thing about Apple is that they understand that app efficiency is more powerful than extra batteries. I always imagine most android users telling everyone how great their 5 miles per gallon truck is while filling it up with one of the many gas barrels in their trunk. Google has recognized that this solution is no longer elegant or feasible which is why upcoming versions of android are baking in the same measures as what we're doing in this thread. Why samsung debloated touch whiz and included modular apps that we can download if we needed that functionality

erasat likes this.
    09-05-2015 11:35 PM
    I am just surfing on facebook or internet but it gets hot (36-39 degrees) and I am using it for 1 hours but %33 charge gone (just facebook and internet)

What should I do?
    09-06-2015 04:23 AM
    I see people disabling Google Now. Isn't that what we brag about because it's so much better than Siri?

Some are disabling Google now, but they are doing that on their own. It isn't being recommended as a must shut off app like shutting down the carrier bloat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    09-06-2015 04:54 AM
    I decied to download doze and greenify and take a look. I have used these kinds of apps in the past but for the last several years have felt its really not necesary. When we say we are using these apps to tame bloatware, which bloatware are we talkig about? I have always been under the impression that most of the carrier bundled stuff does not use much juice or bandwidth unless you explicitly start using them. I'm thinking of the MS bundled stuff such as excel, word, one drive etc. What other stuff are we using these apps to tame? How much were they using (battery, bandwidth) before we tamed them? If we don't know the answer to that one we are just guessing as to the effectiveness of these apps (placebo effect). Doze is interesting but you explicitly need to tell it what to allow. That's not always obvious and I personally love getting notified of updates while not using my phone. If they are not using bunch bandwidth anyways, who cares. With greenify things can get messy. You better really know what you are doing before you go crazy with that one.

I prefer to start with an understanding of which apps are problematic and then maybe using tools like these to bring them under control. I would hate to be a newbie reading this thread and installing both these apps and getting aggressive with what they don't allow to run. Suddenly they are missing notifications or never finding out that something they posted in google+ or here got a response. Suddenly android gets a bad name because unlike iOS they are left with the feeling that nothing works.
    09-06-2015 05:25 AM
    I decied to download doze and greenify and take a look. I have used these kinds of apps in the past but for the last several years have felt its really not necesary. When we say we are using these apps to tame bloatware, which bloatware are we talkig about? I have always been under the impression that most of the carrier bundled stuff does not use much juice or bandwidth unless you explicitly start using them. I'm thinking of the MS bundled stuff such as excel, word, one drive etc. What other stuff are we using these apps to tame? How much were they using (battery, bandwidth) before we tamed them? If we don't know the answer to that one we are just guessing as to the effectiveness of these apps (placebo effect). Doze is interesting but you explicitly need to tell it what to allow. That's not always obvious and I personally love getting notified of updates while not using my phone. If they are not using bunch bandwidth anyways, who cares. With greenify things can get messy. You better really know what you are doing before you go crazy with that one.

I prefer to start with an understanding of which apps are problematic and then maybe using tools like these to bring them under control. I would hate to be a newbie reading this thread and installing both these apps and getting aggressive with what they don't allow to run. Suddenly they are missing notifications or never finding out that something they posted in google+ or here got a response. Suddenly android gets a bad name because unlike iOS they are left with the feeling that nothing works.
    Greenify, Doze and ShutApp, are pretty clear to understand. I think it has been quite obvious that many are more than willing and have been, answering questions and give help.

If people don't want to post questions, there is nothing anyone can do about that. Them asking questions or not is totally up to them.
    09-06-2015 07:36 AM

I have a Note 3 with 4 batteries. I purchased the 3 spare Samsung 3000 mAh batteries for $5 each on ebay. One of the many reasons I don't use apple anything is the iphone battery is sealed.

I won't be getting a Note 5 for this reason. What was Samsung thinking? I hope they build another large screen phone with replaceable battery, I use at least 2-3/day.

Steve

Steve.
    KJ78 likes this.
    09-06-2015 07:54 AM
    I was trying to respond to a reply that said "Why bother getting an android if you're going to turn everything off? that's why I use iphone?"

to which I replied "I have a Note 3 with 4 batteries. I purchased the 3 spare Samsung 3000 mAH batteries for $5 each on ebay. One of the many reasons I don't use apple anything is the iphone battery is sealed."

"I hope Samsung (or Nexus maybe?) builds a large screen android phone with replaceable batteries."

This reply got buried 25 pages back with the original reply instead of being posted to the end of this thread?

Steve
    09-06-2015 08:03 AM
    I use at least 2-3/day.

Steve.
    You must live on your phone? You don't have another larger screen to mess with? I could not spend that much time on my phone thought the day without getting a head ache. For the most part I monitor these thread on my chromebook or ipad.
    09-06-2015 08:06 AM
    Thanks you will do this today. And i have Galaxy s4, which also have same signal. But this will drain only 5% over night.
    No luck i tried on both my phones today over night

1. with Signal and Wifi On - Drained 40%
    2. With Signal off and Wifi On - Drained - 35%

I am disappointing with this battery performance
    09-06-2015 08:11 AM
    Turn on airplane and then turn WiFi back on.
    No luck i tried on both my phones today over night

1. with Signal and Wifi On - Drained 40%

09-06-2015 08:13 AM
    Wifi On - Drained 40%

What apps are draining that much power overnight?
    09-06-2015 08:14 AM
    Carrier bloat isn't a problem unless you enable them. I don't see what the problem is with carrier bloat. AFAIK, you actually have to launch them to have them running. Why would anyone do that then turn around and disable them. I have a bunch of AT&T carrier bloat but they are not enabled because I never launched them in the first place.

09-06-2015 08:28 AM
    What apps are draining that much power overnight?
    Thats why i am worried i dont have any thing running attached screen shots

Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-06-09-06-12-1.jpg

Let me know if you need any other screens to diagnose better
    09-06-2015 08:29 AM
3,351 ... 4445464748 ...