04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 5152535455 ...
tools
    I was on S6 till last week, had no issues on the current WiFi settings. And didnt have issues with both wifi and 4g on at the same time. My router is 2.4GHz only, so thats not an issue.

With Note 5...Wifi is killing it and when I do put it on...it doesnt put 4G off. I am sure its not using Verizon data under that scenario but the fact that radio is on, is screwing with battery.

Also, if it was just my phone I would have thought maybe it is defective. Its my wife and my phone. Both of us have same issues.
    09-09-2015 01:18 PM
    I was on S6 till last week, had no issues on the current WiFi settings. And didnt have issues with both wifi and 4g on at the same time. My router is 2.4GHz only, so thats not an issue.

With Note 5...Wifi is killing it and when I do put it on...it doesnt put 4G off. I am sure its not using Verizon data under that scenario but the fact that radio is on, is screwing with battery.

Also, if it was just my phone I would have thought maybe it is defective. Its my wife and my phone. Both of us have same issues.
    Lot of people including myself have same issues here. I called Samusung and ATT trying to explain issue. None of them trying to understand. They simply remote logged in to my mobile and Checked Battery Settings and says this is working as expected.
    Coming to Battery drain it depends on how you are using phone. They are not trying to understand whats going on.
    09-09-2015 02:01 PM
    Lot of people including myself have same issues here. I called Samusung and ATT trying to explain issue. None of them trying to understand. They simply remote logged in to my mobile and Checked Battery Settings and says this is working as expected.
    Coming to Battery drain it depends on how you are using phone. They are not trying to understand whats going on.
    You need to take screenshots of both scenarios and then get them to remote in and then you pull up the screenshots and point out the issues and differences to them. Explain the issues to first level tech like you are talking to someone that has no knowledge, but is reading a script, because that is exactly what you are doing. Then when they say still it is correct, you insist it isn't and tell them you want tier 2 support or at worst, a supervisor and tell them you will not take no for an answer.

Hopefully you will get someone more cooperative the second time. I have called them before and gotten someone that did and knew nothing and wouldn't cooperate and hung up, called right back and then got a very cooperative person.
    09-09-2015 02:06 PM
    You need to take screenshots of both scenarios and then get them to remote in and then you pull up the screenshots and point out the issues and differences to them. Explain the issues to first level tech like you are talking to someone that has no knowledge, but is reading a script, because that is exactly what you are doing. Then when they say still it is correct, you insist it isn't and tell them you want tier 2 support or at worst, a supervisor and tell them you will not take no for an answer.

Hopefully you will get someone more cooperative the second time. I have called them before and gotten someone that did and knew nothing and wouldn't cooperate and hung up, called right back and then got a very cooperative person.
    Yes i Have tried yesterday and got a chance to speak with Supervisor, She insist on sending phone to Device Support Center for further investigation. I requested them to test on the phones what they have. I was told they will no have any devices for testing. I even opened a thread in ATT forums.
    09-09-2015 02:15 PM

I think another issue at least with Verizon version is that even if you select WiFi to sleep option when screen is off it doesn't go to sleep. Ever. So if you leave WiFi on and shut screen off it's still polling both and that would explain higher drain as well.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-09-2015 02:29 PM
    Thanks Kelly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-09-2015 03:33 PM
    Turning my location off made a world of difference, I made the switch from iphone 6plus. Location based services were always on on my iphone and really didn't hurt my battery at all. Was very disheartened my first few days with the note 5 as its battery would need a charge around 2pm if i wanted to get through the rest of the day. my buddy suggested turn off location and to just turn it on when you actually need it and now im happy to say i have no problems getting thru a full day off charger(8am to 11pm). I stream at least an hour of Netflix each day and play about 10 rounds of Hearthstone along with you average day to day activities, browsing the web, social media etc.
    09-09-2015 03:57 PM
    Yes i Have tried yesterday and got a chance to speak with Supervisor, She insist on sending phone to Device Support Center for further investigation. I requested them to test on the phones what they have. I was told they will no have any devices for testing. I even opened a thread in ATT forums.
    Samsung should have devices for each carrier, but they aren't always just the same or connected to a cell signal.

I have never seen a Device Support Center that does anything but exchange phones.
    09-09-2015 04:11 PM
    Turning my location off made a world of difference, I made the switch from iphone 6plus. Location based services were always on on my iphone and really didn't hurt my battery at all. Was very disheartened my first few days with the note 5 as its battery would need a charge around 2pm if i wanted to get through the rest of the day. my buddy suggested turn off location and to just turn it on when you actually need it and now im happy to say i have no problems getting thru a full day off charger(8am to 11pm). I stream at least an hour of Netflix each day and play about 10 rounds of Hearthstone along with you average day to day activities, browsing the web, social media etc.
    If you want to keep using your Location, take a look at this thread and understand the reason of the huge battery drain with some location settings.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ery-drain.html
    09-09-2015 05:31 PM
    Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1441839987414.jpg

Doing great so far

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-09-2015 06:06 PM
    Is this any good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    09-09-2015 09:36 PM
    Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1441853261577.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    09-09-2015 09:47 PM
    Is this any good?

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...b9c44444ab.jpg

No, that's really, really bad. Likely you have weak cell signal AND some background apps draining the battery.
    09-09-2015 10:05 PM
    I'm kind of the opposite or similar to what Erasat has posted about battery saving mode in location. I got terrible battery life with location off. I do not exactly know the specifics and function of location in relation to cell towers, but it seems I could not get a cell signal or even sync my emails at work after my lunch break. My work is several miles from home. So my phone is definitely on a different cell tower. Does location off turn off the phones ability to search for new towers? Maybe, maybe not? I dunno. But for me I could not check email or go on the internet until after work and as I got closer to home. That night I turned ON location services. The next day my battery life was much better. To improve it even more, I set Location to power saving mode which only uses Wifi and cell towers. Battery life was even better. I'm on Verizon, so I find that turning off Wifi when I'm not at home helps my battery life even more (I only use Wifi at home anyways). Now I just need to find a good email app that will push my email rather than sync/fetch it. Syncing my email every 15 minutes sucks battery life a lot. I think this is one of the reasons why my iPhone had better battery life. The email accounts I used most had push turned on. Either way, I'm loving the phone more and more. Battery life is getting better and better as I relearn the settings in Android.
    09-09-2015 11:32 PM
    No, that's really, really bad. Likely you have weak cell signal AND some background apps draining the battery.
    And this is why I prefer my iPhone 6s because what good is this device when I have to figure out how to make the battery perform halfway decent. I shouldn't have to disable processes that makes Android devices what they are.

09-10-2015 12:42 AM
    Ok i think i figured out why im feeling this battery is so bad well for one i came from using a phone with a 3400mah battery is that a much difference from the note 5 is 3000mah? also on my old phone youtube videos always played in 720p max now with the note 5 it always plays them in 1080p which in my mind gonna consume even more battery correct? is there a way to not let the youtube videos play in 1080p all the time and just set them to play only in 720p? The max screen time i get with this phone is 5hrs before the phone goes under 10-9%.
    09-10-2015 02:35 AM
    Note 5 Battery life thread-240.jpg

Is this good ???
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-241.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-242.jpg  
    09-10-2015 03:05 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	195846

Is this good ???
    There is nothing wrong with those stats.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
    09-10-2015 05:43 AM
    And this is why I prefer my iPhone 6s because what good is this device when I have to figure out how to make the battery perform halfway decent. I shouldn't have to disable processes that makes Android devices what they are.

First if you have a bad signal, you are going to have a draining battery.

Second, you don't have to disable processes that make Android devices what they are.

You can't just compare iPhone to Android in that way, that is comparing apples to oranges.

Just one minor thing and that makes a difference in battery, is widgets. Android has actual widgets, with info delivered to your home screen, fully functioning, iPhone doesn't do that. The widgets of iPhone are notifications.

How do you think iPhone operates with so little RAM? It doesn't have all the processes running because it doesn't do near the same as Android. Android is highly customizable, which is why Android users choose Android. If it is highly customizable, people are going to use different things. If you have something running that you don't use and you are already having battery issues, you can just disable what you aren't using.

Now my sister has an iPhone and she is connected to a charger all the time and when she isn't, she has a charging case she has to use a lot.

Neither is true for me. Her phone also does very little of what my phone does.

Trying to compare the Android and iPhone is like comparing a Toyota Corolla and a Sports car and saying the Toyota is better because it gets better gas mileage and your sports car should get the same gas milage and you shouldn't have to put more gas on it and should be able to use 10W 40 oil in the sports car that is much cheaper instead of having to use 5W 30 oil.

Yeah, they are both cars, but when you have a V6 or a V8 sports car and try to compare it to a Toyota, performance is quite different and they will never get the same gas mileage and having simply higher gas mileage doesn't always mean anything. You can't have a sports car and then expect it to run like a Toyota.

So, if you want a sports car and the gas mileage of a Toyota, there are things you have to change about how you drive the sports car.

If you want a high power Android and want a battery that last like an iPhone or even a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, you are going to have to give up some of those functions.
    vm81 and 1stGalaxyS3 like this.
    09-10-2015 07:45 AM
    I normally use 4GLTE always but I tried leaving wifi on all night, with wifi set to never sleep and still get similar to 4glte battery life on idle.

Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1441889153753.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1441889163838.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-10-2015 07:46 AM
    I have the Verizon version of the Note 5 and it stays on WiFi basically all day and battery drain seems to be just fine for me.
    09-10-2015 07:50 AM
    I normally use 4GLTE always but I tried leaving wifi on all night, with wifi set to never sleep and still get similar to 4glte battery life on idle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441889153753.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	195858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441889163838.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	195859

Wonder why you aren't getting that high standby on WiFi.. I don't get it either, but I'm also not Verizon.
    09-10-2015 07:51 AM
    Wonder why you aren't getting that high standby on WiFi.. I don't get it either, but I'm also not Verizon.
    I wonder if it is some app or obscure setting causing it? For those that have a problem, if it is real bad, did they try a factory data reset and not installing any apps and see if the problem persists?

09-10-2015 08:04 AM
    I wonder if it is some app or obscure setting causing it? For those that have a problem, if it is real bad, did they try a factory data reset and not installing any apps and see if the problem persists?

I don't know if they did, because it is mostly discussed in another thread..
    09-10-2015 08:06 AM
    Hi, I just switched from iPhone to Note 5 about a week already.

I m just not sure is it normal for Note 5 to lost about 25% of battery overnight on standby (7 hours). I tried turned off sync, location, power saving and few other settings that could save battery. I never get better than 20%. I lost about 2% with the iPhone. This would meam Note 5 would last about 28 hours on standby. Is this normal?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-10-2015 08:21 AM
3,351 ... 5152535455 ...