04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 5253545556 ...
tools
    Hi, I just switched from iPhone to Note 5 about a week already.

I m just not sure is it normal for Note 5 to lost about 25% of battery overnight on standby (7 hours). I tried turned off sync, location, power saving and few other settings that could save battery. I never get better than 20%. I lost about 2% with the iPhone. This would meam Note 5 would last about 28 hours on standby. Is this normal?

Posted via the Android Central App
    No with battery saver on overnight I only lose about 3% in 7 hours. It's probably an app you have installed, I've had difficulty finding the exact cause of such drains, but use the wake lock detector app mentioned above and you'll find your culprit
    09-10-2015 08:30 AM
    Hi, I just switched from iPhone to Note 5 about a week already.

I m just not sure is it normal for Note 5 to lost about 25% of battery overnight on standby (7 hours). I tried turned off sync, location, power saving and few other settings that could save battery. I never get better than 20%. I lost about 2% with the iPhone. This would meam Note 5 would last about 28 hours on standby. Is this normal?

My experience with 2 Note 5's i have i do have same issue if we leave it over wifi.
    I have no apps installed. Even not Linked my gmail account. But it still drains 30% overnight.
    It is giving very good life if i am 4G with almost all the apps i user and in Sync, Gmail, Yahoo, Whatsapp, Viber, etc. I drains only 10% over night in span of 8 to 10 hrs.
    vm81 and 1stGalaxyS3 like this.
    09-10-2015 08:34 AM
    OK... So far I have been able to convince myself (and prove to myself) that this phone (and the battery) will last me the entire day during my normal workday... Without having any access to an AC wall outlet, I can easily go 15-20 hours with light usage, and seem to be able to go 10-15 hours with moderate use...

This weekend will be the first time I will truly test the real life ability for my phone to take me through a busy weekend with almost no access to an AC adapter, and a heavy need for taking photos all day long... I'll be taking an extended battery along with me just in case...

I am a little nervous...I am not sure how the phone will perform all day long with the high demand of photos and videos throughout the day...

I won't take the opportunity to test the limits though...I am definitely going to trickle charge the phone with my external battery whenever convenient...I am attending an event that I really don't want to miss any photo opportunities... But carrying extra external batteries is part of my use case for days like this weekend, so I don't mind...

Wish me luck!!!
    Sammuel1973, vm81 and Kelly Kearns like this.
    09-10-2015 08:42 AM
    What carrier are you on?

Are you using Wifi? I was having same issues...and just by turning wifi off...I went from losing 5-6% every hour on standby to losing less than 1% every hour on standby. Before changing any other setting...just try to see if turning wifi off fixes it. In that case you know its not any app or setting...its just freaking wifi on Verizon models. If that doesnt fix it...then you know there is something else in the background.

Obviously this is not the solution as I didnt spend $700 on a phone and not be able to use WiFi...but till the time there is a fix...atleast I know whats causing it.
    Chitown28 likes this.
    09-10-2015 08:53 AM
    OK... So far I have been able to convince myself (and prove to myself) that this phone (and the battery) will last me the entire day during my normal workday... Without having any access to an AC wall outlet, I can easily go 15-20 hours with light usage, and seem to be able to go 10-15 hours with moderate use...

This weekend will be the first time I will truly test the real life ability for my phone to take me through a busy weekend with almost no access to an AC adapter, and a heavy need for taking photos all day long... I'll be taking an extended battery along with me just in case...

I am a little nervous...I am not sure how the phone will perform all day long with the high demand of photos and videos throughout the day...

I won't take the opportunity to test the limits though...I am definitely going to trickle charge the phone with my external battery whenever convenient...I am attending an event that I really don't want to miss any photo opportunities... But carrying extra external batteries is part of my use case for days like this weekend, so I don't mind...

Wish me luck!!!
    Yes, good luck. I am looking forward to reading your update!
    09-10-2015 08:55 AM
    I understand that you only use 3% with battery saver....but why should I have to put battery saver on? The point is not that there are ways to slow the drain...atleast for me the issue is that the damn drain shouldnt be there to begin with. Especially when its something that I didn't do or an app I didnt install.
    09-10-2015 08:56 AM
    What carrier are you on?

Are you using Wifi? I was having same issues...and just by turning wifi off...I went from losing 5-6% every hour on standby to losing less than 1% every hour on standby. Before changing any other setting...just try to see if turning wifi off fixes it. In that case you know its not any app or setting...its just freaking wifi on Verizon models. If that doesnt fix it...then you know there is something else in the background.

Obviously this is not the solution as I didnt spend $700 on a phone and not be able to use WiFi...but till the time there is a fix...atleast I know whats causing it.
    And many, even on Verizon, aren't having the WiFi standby issue.

Have you reset and run it a bit without adding apps at all?
    09-10-2015 09:03 AM
    I understand that you only use 3% with battery saver....but why should I have to put battery saver on? The point is not that there are ways to slow the drain...atleast for me the issue is that the damn drain shouldnt be there to begin with. Especially when its something that I didn't do or an app I didnt install.
    If someone has a signal issue that they can't change, battery saver is a good option.
    09-10-2015 09:04 AM
    I havent reset my phone nor has my wife. Both of us have the same issue. And its not only wifi on standby....its wifi period.

I was on S6 till last week...and there is absolutely no change in what is installed and how I am using my phone...so there is definitely some issue. Atleast there is an issue with both our phones (and numerous others on this board even after factory reset and not installing ANYTHING).

I have not factory reset and thats probably the next step but I seriously doubt that will fix it.
    09-10-2015 09:11 AM
    I havent reset my phone nor has my wife. Both of us have the same issue. And its not only wifi on standby....its wifi period.

I was on S6 till last week...and there is absolutely no change in what is installed and how I am using my phone...so there is definitely some issue. Atleast there is an issue with both our phones (and numerous others on this board even after factory reset and not installing ANYTHING).

I have not factory reset and thats probably the next step but I seriously doubt that will fix it.
    No.. Some are having high standby while connected to WiFi and it seems to be using battery.

Also not just reset. Reset and run it a while, WiFi on, no installing apps and see if the WiFi issue is still there.

You can boot into safe mode and run it that way for awhile and see if the issue still happens. Now the reset and running it without apps for a bit would be better IMO, then you know for sure, if it isn't a problem on WiFi, an app is causing the WiFi issue.
    09-10-2015 09:16 AM
    No.. Some are having high standby while connected to WiFi and it seems to be using battery.

Also not just reset. Reset and run it a while, WiFi on, no installing apps and see if the WiFi issue is still there.

You can boot into safe mode and run it that way for awhile and see if the issue still happens. Now the reset and running it without apps for a bit would be better IMO, then you know for sure, if it isn't a problem on WiFi, an app is causing the WiFi issue.
    I will try and reset.

But yes thats the same issue I am having...somehow wifi is causing very high cell standby...which is draining battery.

All my android phones....have never used anything else...have turned off carrier internet (4g, 3G, whatever) as soon as I put wifi on. Even S6 untill last week did that. WIth Note 5 however...my 4G stays on even after I put wifi on. People have said thats its not using carrier data in that scenario...I understand that but because that radio is on...I am sure that is what is causing high cell standby which is indeed causing battery drain.
    09-10-2015 09:22 AM
    I will try and reset.

But yes thats the same issue I am having...somehow wifi is causing very high cell standby...which is draining battery.

All my android phones....have never used anything else...have turned off carrier internet (4g, 3G, whatever) as soon as I put wifi on. Even S6 untill last week did that. WIth Note 5 however...my 4G stays on even after I put wifi on. People have said thats its not using carrier data in that scenario...I understand that but because that radio is on...I am sure that is what is causing high cell standby which is indeed causing battery drain.
    It seems to be mostly Verizon people, but not all Verizon people. See if you can run it for a few hours without adding apps, and if it doesn't go up high, just add a few at a time and test, see if it is an app causing it.
    09-10-2015 09:26 AM
    I agree its mostly Verizon people.
    09-10-2015 09:31 AM
    It seems to be mostly Verizon people, but not all Verizon people. See if you can run it for a few hours without adding apps, and if it doesn't go up high, just add a few at a time and test, see if it is an app causing it.
    I will try reset my wife and my phone but see post# 1327 to see even factory reset is not helping people.
    09-10-2015 09:37 AM
    No with battery saver on overnight I only lose about 3% in 7 hours. It's probably an app you have installed, I've had difficulty finding the exact cause of such drains, but use the wake lock detector app mentioned above and you'll find your culprit
    I already tried put it on battery saver, factory reset, installed few apps that I need for work (chat and mail), still couldn't get better than 20%. Only thing that I haven't try yet is to turn off Wifi. I'll try tonight and will update.

I shouldn't have to do that much to save battery, I will try anyway.

Chitown28 likes this.
    09-10-2015 09:51 AM
    I already tried put it on battery saver, factory reset, installed few apps that I need for work (chat and mail), still couldn't get better than 20%. Only thing that I haven't try yet is to turn off Wifi. I'll try tonight and will update.

I shouldn't have to do that much to save battery, I will try anyway.

And I can pretty much guarantee that if you just turn off your wifi...you will be thrilled with your battery life. Nothing else needed.
    09-10-2015 09:59 AM
    So here is the test.

I factory reset my phone at 11am with 75% battery remaining. I have not installed any app...I have not even logged into google account...absolutely nothing. All I have done on the phone is connected to wifi and put it on the side. I will update in couple of hours of absolutely no use...not even screen on and tell you whats up with the battery.

I have a strong feeling this will not help since both wifi and 4G are on at the same time...so my cell standby will be VERY high.
    09-10-2015 10:04 AM
    I will try reset my wife and my phone but see post# 1327 to see even factory reset is not helping people.
    There could be different issues. It isn't the reset helps, it is to narrow down the issue by not adding back all the apps.

Ok, are you using a Verizon provided caller ID app?
    09-10-2015 10:15 AM
    There could be different issues. It isn't the reset helps, it is to narrow down the issue by not adding back all the apps.

Ok, are you using a Verizon provided caller ID app?
    Not using verizon caller ID...I even disabled it.

Yeah but if people have factory reset and its draining with wifi even without installing any app...how will it help me narrow down which app it is since there hasnt been anything installed. That was the case in post# 1327

Anyways...I have reset my phone....havent touched or logged into anything except connecting to wifi. Lets see what that does to battery in couple of hours.
    09-10-2015 10:18 AM
    Not using verizon caller ID...I even disabled it.

Yeah but if people have factory reset and its draining with wifi even without installing any app...how will it help me narrow down which app it is since there hasnt been anything installed. That was the case in post# 1327

Anyways...I have reset my phone....havent touched or logged into anything except connecting to wifi. Lets see what that does to battery in couple of hours.
    Well if it is draining like that with nothing installed, an app isn't causing it.

Ok, do a screenshot that shows your notification bar, while you still have WiFi on and post that. Just a screenshot of anything. I want to see your notification bar.
    09-10-2015 10:29 AM
    Not pleased so far....To Say The Least
    Note 5 Battery life thread-wifi.jpg
    Note 5 Battery life thread-wifi-2-.jpg
    Thought I would update with just 4g on, no wifi

Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-10-12-01-26.jpg
    Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-10-12-01-57.jpg
    09-10-2015 11:04 AM
    Well if it is draining like that with nothing installed, an app isn't causing it.

Ok, do a screenshot that shows your notification bar, while you still have WiFi on and post that. Just a screenshot of anything. I want to see your notification bar.
    First 1 hour after factory reset with absolutely no use, no apps installed, no login anywhere....used 6% in standby.

I took a screenshot that shows my notifications - both wifi and 4G are on at the same time. I think that is what is causing high cell standby and indeed horrible battery.

I am not able to post it...it lets me browse to the photo but there is no button to actually post it.
    09-10-2015 11:20 AM
    First 1 hour after factory reset with absolutely no use, no apps installed, no login anywhere....used 6% in standby.

I took a screenshot that shows my notifications - both wifi and 4G are on at the same time. I think that is what is causing high cell standby and indeed horrible battery.

I am not able to post it...it lets me browse to the photo but there is no button to actually post it.
    09-10-2015 11:21 AM
    I'm not sure if this is at all pertinent but I have been getting really good battery life with my phone. I'm on wifi most of the day (less a commute of an hour to and from work), I have FB, Bluetooth, G-mail and my Yahoo mail all going all the time. I make and receive calls on and off through the day. I am on What'sapp all the time (which includes random pictures and voice notes) and G-chat here and there at work. My brightness is set to a little under 50% and I'm constantly checking my phone for messages. I have no power saving features active and using it that way from 7:30 (off wireless charger) to 6 (my usual get home time), I have anywhere from 50% - 65% left. By noon each day I'm at about 88% - 89% and that's a fair average. However, yesterday, for ****s and giggles, I decided to active Verizon's visual voicemail app and today, with the same usage as usual, by noon my battery was at 74%.
    I don't want to point any fingers since anything could be going on here but I've had this phone since the day it was released and the battery performance has been spot on. I am going to keep things as they are to see how the battery performs in the next two days and if I'm still seeing what I've seen today then I'll rid myself of the visual VM. I don't plan to keep it anyway and only wanted to try it out but I figured I'd give my experience with it here.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    09-10-2015 11:31 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wifi.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	195887

Name:	wifi (2).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	195890
    Thought I would update with just 4g on, no wifi

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-10-12-01-26.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	195888

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-10-12-01-57.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	195889
    Your "held awake" time is almost the same as your total time since last unplugged. The battery drain seems to be coming through your apps though... something (or multiple somethings) you have installed is (1) keeping your phone awake and (2) draining battery by the app running...
    09-10-2015 11:36 AM
3,351 ... 5253545556 ...