Note 5 Battery life thread

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Well this is mine and I'm about to charge because I'm going out. This is with 5 hours SOT.

Would you be willing to share your EXACT settings you have for the device? Things you shut off to not sync. Things you disabled specifically (I disabled all Verizon stuff except My Verizon app since it's greyed out and wont let me disable), accounts you have and what you leave to sync? Is your WiFi always on. Do u sleep WiFi when screen is off? Location on and your settings. And anything else I've missed including social media accounts you have and apps you might have installed from battery monitoring and performance.

Also do you use the Gmail app or something else or both? Any calendar apps as well.

I'd like to test as close to your settings as I can get and then pinpoint if mine is simply cell reception.

Also so you have Google app on or off?

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You are lucky.
Sadly i have 2 Note 5,both discharge very quickly.
And it will take almost 6 hrs for fully charge. Not sure whats going wrong with my devices.
Yes i have disabled all ATT, Games, Facebook, instagram etc which i dont use.

If it is taking 6 to charge, something is wrong.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
after almost a week I have confirmed to myself that only solution is turn off wifi when I'm out and about and turn on when in office and at home as I could easily charge when needed.

I experimented and bad or good signal with wifi on it decreases about 5 hours of battery life. I thought that it was my weak signal at work and home (at home I have a verizon network extender) and it made a difference in battery but not a whole lot. Main problem came down to Cell Standby going higher and higher as I left wifi on. One day I turned off my wifi all day...and I was getting similar battery life like many here that states they have good battery life and Cell Standby was way down and never rose above 3%. That's my conclusion for me...others can argue and say not so but I wanted to share my observation from my experiment (although not complete scientific). BTW...I left everything else on (GPS and BT) in both my experiment.

And I also left advance calling on for and then off with wifi on and off. Again leaving advance calling off didn't make a real difference...it's wifi on that's the culprit!

Just wanted to share my elementary experiment.

I'm on VERIZON BTW.

Davenurse

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You are lucky.
Sadly i have 2 Note 5,both discharge very quickly.
And it will take almost 6 hrs for fully charge. Not sure whats going wrong with my devices.
Yes i have disabled all ATT, Games, Facebook, instagram etc which i dont use.

If it's taking 6 hours to charge there's something wrong. I went from 33 to 100 percent in 45 minutes today

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Would you be willing to share your EXACT settings you have for the device? Things you shut off to not sync. Things you disabled specifically (I disabled all Verizon stuff except My Verizon app since it's greyed out and wont let me disable), accounts you have and what you leave to sync? Is your WiFi always on. Do u sleep WiFi when screen is off? Location on and your settings. And anything else I've missed including social media accounts you have and apps you might have installed from battery monitoring and performance.

Also do you use the Gmail app or something else or both? Any calendar apps as well.

I'd like to test as close to your settings as I can get and then pinpoint if mine is simply cell reception.

Also so you have Google app on or off?

Thanks

I have twitter and Facebook, keep WiFi and GPS always on, but have WiFi to sleep when screen is off.

I turned off as much bloatware as I can and keep the my T-Mobile app because I use it.

I sync one Gmail account a couple of news apps, I use the stock calendar that syncs with Google, I use a Note program that syncs, sync contacts to Google also.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have twitter and Facebook, keep WiFi and GPS always on, but have WiFi to sleep when screen is off.

I turned off as much bloatware as I can and keep the my T-Mobile app because I use it.

I sync one Gmail account a couple of news apps, I use the stock calendar that syncs with Google, I use a Note program that syncs, sync contacts to Google also.

When the WiFi sleep is active, so the WiFi symbol supposed to always be on the screen? I decided to enable that feature but noticed when I open the phone the symbol is there as if it never went off vs when I have low signal it doesn't show until signal is strong (as an example in other places) .

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When the WiFi sleep is active, so the WiFi symbol supposed to always be on the screen? I decided to enable that feature but noticed when I open the phone the symbol is there as if it never went off vs when I have low signal it doesn't show until signal is strong (as an example in other places) .

When my screen is dark and I turn it own, I have a box that pops up at the bottom briefly, that tells me what WiFi network it is connecting to.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
When my screen is dark and I turn it own, I have a box that pops up at the bottom briefly, that tells me what WiFi network it is connecting to.

Maybe then it's a Verizon thing. I did double check and I checked that box to sleep WiFi when screen is off so I assume it's doing so

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
after almost a week I have confirmed to myself that only solution is turn off wifi when I'm out and about and turn on when in office and at home as I could easily charge when needed.

I experimented and bad or good signal with wifi on it decreases about 5 hours of battery life. I thought that it was my weak signal at work and home (at home I have a verizon network extender) and it made a difference in battery but not a whole lot. Main problem came down to Cell Standby going higher and higher as I left wifi on. One day I turned off my wifi all day...and I was getting similar battery life like many here that states they have good battery life and Cell Standby was way down and never rose above 3%. That's my conclusion for me...others can argue and say not so but I wanted to share my observation from my experiment (although not complete scientific). BTW...I left everything else on (GPS and BT) in both my experiment.

And I also left advance calling on for and then off with wifi on and off. Again leaving advance calling off didn't make a real difference...it's wifi on that's the culprit!

Just wanted to share my elementary experiment.

I'm on VERIZON BTW.

Good to hear and I too said the same thing today. I don't have the extender (got one delivered today and learned I have to install exterior antenna and then drill holes into my home to run cable in. Can't do that) but also shut my WiFi off and reduce cell standby. Issue though is because I don't have a good signal at times I won't get emails that are needed quickly. So I am putting it into sleep when screen is off and see if that makes a difference.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I use Doze and greenify. I also use adguard. Google Now is off and I use Cortana but hibernate it when not in use. Only facebook messenger, text message, Sammy music and rhapsody is whitelisted in doze. All Google Apps have been disabled as I cannot trust them to behave. WiFi is off unless downloading apps or updates. I got 45 min of SOT for 10 percent of battery

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I forgot WiFi calling is off as well and the following in package disabler pro
3d31567198956958215927e38e2d8a4d.jpg

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The standby time on this phone is awesome and such an upgrade from my note 4. With the same usage on a 12 hour workday, my note 5 only lost 40% while my note 4 would have lost 70%. This phone continues to surprise me.

Attachments

• 1441430873955.jpg
    1441430873955.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 76

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yet another day of great SOT. 6.5 hours. I'm with AT&T, using Nova Prime. I have my email sync set for every 2 hours. I sat WiFi to turn off when phone goes to standby. I use FB and Instagram a lot and use Waze GPS for at least 1 hour each day during my commute. Obviously I've disabled the basic AT&T bloatware but that's about it.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-05-00-19-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-05-00-19-45.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_2015-09-05-00-19-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-05-00-19-38.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 123

chesterdawg

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I use the free app Greenify to hibernate a lot of apps that I am not using. I can always use any app just by tapping on it to get it started. There are always at least a dozen apps running in the background all the time that are not needed.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I use Doze and greenify. I also use adguard. Google Now is off and I use Cortana but hibernate it when not in use. Only facebook messenger, text message, Sammy music and rhapsody is whitelisted in doze. All Google Apps have been disabled as I cannot trust them to behave. WiFi is off unless downloading apps or updates. I got 45 min of SOT for 10 percent of battery

I have Cortana hibernated as well but said to was running in background when I looked at battery report. Was at 6% by time I plugged in last night. Battery went 14 hours for me yesterday.

Note5User

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
There is nothing to diagnose. If your phones are taking more than 1.5 to 2 hours to fully charge, something is wrong with them, unless you aren't using the adaptive fast charger.

This got resolved after adjusting cables again.
But as per my earlier screen shots in over night it discharged about 40%.
I have tested with other Note 5, which discharged almost 50% in 7 to 8 even though phone is in ideal. and in both the phones have i have disabled all ATT app, Samsumg Apps, and google apps which i dont use and have not installed any apps, Except GSAM Battery Monitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835