04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 6162636465 ...
tools
    Does smart manager kill battery?
    09-20-2015 02:08 PM
    Agreed. I noticed the same. If screen was off the battery would go forever. When using it drained faster. So in the end the battery here is about the same.. I go 12-14 hours of moderate to heavy use and have 5-10% left. Same for 6+

Posted via the Android Central App
    My iPhone 6 Plus has much better battery life than my Note 5. Still have 75% battery so far today.

Note 5 Battery life thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1442802334.152558.jpg
    09-20-2015 09:25 PM
    I'm real happy with the battery life on my Note 5. I came from an iPhone 5s so I don't have to worry about my phone dying while I'm out anymore.
    09-21-2015 12:42 AM
    Does smart manager kill battery?
    Everything uses battery.

I don't know how else to tell you this, but you going through your phone piecemeal and asking about one or two things and no details about very specific issues on your phone, is going to cause you very bad problems.

If you disable Smart Manager you can't see battery stats.
    09-21-2015 10:58 AM
    My note 5 goes from 100 to around 40 when I leave it one standby overnight. Do I have a dud?

09-22-2015 05:11 AM
    As a test, prior to going to be, close all application via the task manager. Then see how it does come the morning. Let us know the outcome...

My note 5 goes from 100 to around 40 when I leave it one standby overnight. Do I have a dud?

09-22-2015 06:44 AM
    I'm having a similar issue though not as severe. Went to bed with the phone at 100% battery, put it in airplane mode, though bluetooth stayed on. Battery was at 83% when I woke up 7 hours later. Not sure what's eating up battery when the screen is off, applications were closed (I think, I'm new to Android). The battery page in the settings listed bluetooth and "android OS" as the two biggest chunks. Should bluetooth be eating up so much battery when nothing is connected and the screen is off?

Thanks. This is a very helpful thread.
    09-22-2015 07:47 AM
    I would just reset the whole phone and try again.
    Battery is brand new.
    I am hesitant as much as I want a new phone soooo bad mainly cause battery life granted its not perfect on any device But I have a battery case invested and it just lasts now w the case!
    Hope galaxy makes battery cases soon should be done by now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-22-2015 08:18 AM
    Hi everyone. I want to really thank everyone on this thread and the other threads for your advice. I switched from an iPhone 5S to the Note 5 on 9/4. I had no idea how different the Galaxy Note is from the iphone. Since the transfer I have also realized how little I customized my iPhone.

Within days of my Note 5 purchase I too was plagued by the battery issue and like many people, worried it would not sustain me. Reading through these threads, I began to experiment and really dive into the customization features. For those of you new to the Note 5 with battery issues, I strongly recommend that you make many of the changes recommended. I will also recommend that you take into account the "newness factor." I was so impressed with my Note 5 I must have been staring at it for hours on end. Much more than I normally do with my phone.

At 6pm on Sunday after I completed the last of the configuration changes, I charged the phone to 100 percent and with the plan to not return it to the charger until it was 10 percent or below. I went from 6pm Sunday until 6pm Monday without charging. My phone is my alarm clock, so my clock was running in the background. I played 30 minutes of Milk music on my commute in and out of work. I played on Facebook several times throughout the day, checked the weather, searched Monster.com, read email and responded. Showed the spen functionality to a coworker. I work at a desk with a pc so I agree, my work (day) time use is minimal. But 2 weeks ago, after charging throughout the night, I couldn't get through lunch without charging again. SO this is a huge improvement.

I have also noticed that with these changes my data usage has calmed down. The things I have done:
    - Disabled / deleted Samsung / AT&T apps (but I used the OS, did not download additional apps)
    - Eliminated the notifications from apps that are not critical, such as email and text messaging
    - Deleted Facebook app and created a shortcut link to the webpage on my home screen
    - Turned background processing on several apps such as Pinterest
    - I have turned on Power Save
    - Changed Accuweather widget and app from "follow me" to specific cities I am interested in (did not turn off notification though because I live in Tornado Alley.)
    - Changed my location services to GPS, wifi, and network
    - Reduced screen brightness (full strength is really bright anyway)
    - Turned off Google Now (sort of creepy in a big brother way)
    - Turned off the spen detection

These are just the changes I made to extend the life of the battery and are by no means drastic. I really don't need to have

With my iPhones, I always had to charge at night and I keep a charger bedside permanently so charging at the end of the day is not an inconvenience to me. If I can get by on a single battery charge from 7:30am when I leave the house to 10pm I am pleased. I also have a pretty decent battery charger for when I am on the road and relying more heavily on my phone than normal. With these changes, I am very happy.

For those of you who are new to the Note 5 and experiencing battery issues keep an eye on your data while you are dealing with the power drain. I noticed that as soon as I started to make these modifications my data consumption dropped significantly.

Anyway thanks again everyone. This forum has been very helpful!
    09-22-2015 08:28 AM
    I recently used the gas buddy app on my phone and it caused my phone to stay awake a lot. Uninstalled the app and it fixed the problem.

Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442931630512.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442931639944.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    njshoremom4gurlz likes this.
    09-22-2015 09:20 AM
    Interestingly, it didn't even show up in the system battery stats, and snowed up pretty low on gsam.

Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442931866452.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442931874032.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442931902278.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442931913902.jpg

09-22-2015 09:25 AM
    It was also interfering with amazon photos for some reason. Though I tried to uninstall amazon photos and the problem remained. Then I uninstalled the gas buddy app, and reinstalled amazon photos and photos worked and the drain was no more. Interestingly gas buddy didn't show up when I checked wakelock Detector

Note 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442932048443.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-uploadfromtaptalk1442932062231.jpg

09-22-2015 09:29 AM
    I want this phone so bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Frozen Corpse likes this.
    09-22-2015 11:38 AM
    So I turned on Google Now and that was a mistake. Google App is at the very top again and in addition I am suddenly getting a Google Play Services drain again. I really wish Google focussed on making these things behave.
    09-22-2015 02:22 PM
    So I turned on Google Now and that was a mistake. Google App is at the very top again and in addition I am suddenly getting a Google Play Services drain again. I really wish Google focussed on making these things behave.
    It's odd it does that on the Note. On my Moto it doesn't spike in usage even with the location cards on. Sounds like Google may need to fix it for a few phones.
    09-22-2015 02:44 PM
    It's odd it does that on the Note. On my Moto it doesn't spike in usage even with the location cards on. Sounds like Google may need to fix it for a few phones.
    Maybe it's indexing or something. I'll just leave it be for a day or so and see if it gets better

For the new people: give us screenshots of your battery page and screen on time so we can see if anything is out of wack
    09-22-2015 03:48 PM
    After reading more on this forum I did the following: deleted gasbuddy app (which a few mentioned was causing battery drain and it was showing up in my battery stats), facebook app, and the Gsam battery monitor. I went to bed again and put the phone in airplane mode and left bluetooth off. 8 hours later it only lost 3% as opposed to the 17% drain the previous night. So it seems it was one of those apps that was causing the battery drain.
    09-23-2015 08:58 AM
    As a test, prior to going to be, close all application via the task manager. Then see how it does come the morning. Let us know the outcome...
    I already tried that in the past with no improvement so I factory reset my phone and am getting around 4-5 hours screen time. (1hr screen time at 80%) Only lost 5% overnight

09-23-2015 11:00 AM
    Ah, good to know your experience with battery life is better now. Now you can start to reinstall your applications one by one, and see which one was causing the issue...
    09-23-2015 11:05 AM
    Ah, good to know your experience with battery life is better now. Now you can start to reinstall your applications one by one, and see which one was causing the issue...
    Is 7% battery loss overnight normal.

09-24-2015 05:08 AM
    To me personally, I wouldn't blink over anything under 10-12% battery loss at night.

Is 7% battery loss overnight normal.

09-24-2015 06:22 AM
    To me personally, I wouldn't blink over anything under 10-12% battery loss at night.
    7% is excellent. I shut off my phone because I usually lose about 12%. My old razr maxx hd lost 2% a night. Same exact setup.
    09-24-2015 06:45 PM
    So given the huge jump in battery usage, I've disabled Google Now cards and the Google App and Google play services is no longer an issue.

Also, Facebook. Facebook is something most people think is safe but really isnt. Whoever codes that app I hope they have a special place in hell as it destroys the battery in idle. Instead I've used a Web page link on my desktop and instead of Facebook messenger I use Trillian. Holy crap the idle times are so much better. I had my phone on over night and over 7 hours or so it was down to 96%. In summary, Facebook is the devil and if you are having issues, try taking out Facebook for third party options

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-25-2015 02:23 PM
    So given the huge jump in battery usage, I've disabled Google Now cards and the Google App and Google play services is no longer an issue.

Also, Facebook. Facebook is something most people think is safe but really isnt. Whoever codes that app I hope they have a special place in hell as it destroys the battery in idle. Instead I've used a Web page link on my desktop and instead of Facebook messenger I use Trillian. Holy crap the idle times are so much better. I had my phone on over night and over 7 hours or so it was down to 96%. In summary, Facebook is the devil and if you are having issues, try taking out Facebook for third party options

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    I'm using the Facebook app, don't use the messenger app though and mine is still great.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1443219668632.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1443219694441.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1443219711281.jpg  
    09-25-2015 05:21 PM
    Hi there, recently purchased a Note 5! Quite happy about it... well everything except for the battery life. I'm not sure if I have a faulty battery or if my apps are draining the batteries, but I hope you happy owners could help me a little insight.

Some screenshots:
    Note 5 Battery life thread-tfs4agb.jpg
    Note 5 Battery life thread-6voshm6.jpg
    Note 5 Battery life thread-1frszij.jpg

sorry about the ads...

Anyways, as you can see, it is draining a whopping 7.3% per hour. I've had the phone for nearly a week, and its battery life is only around 12-13 hrs.

Just some other details:
    [Screen Brightness] is set to minimal
    [Location] is off
    [WiFi] is on
    [NFC] is off
    [Bluetooth] is off
    [Power Saving] is not enabled (do you think it will help conserve battery life a lot?)
    [Sync] is enabled
    [Smart Stay] is enabled
    ... everything else is off/disabled

I do have the default Samsung software running. I think all my software is up to date.

Can anyone share their thoughts about the battery life of my device?

Thanks.
    09-25-2015 07:19 PM
3,351 ... 6162636465 ...