04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 6566676869 ...
tools
    "Android System" is eating my battery alive. And I don't think I've ever had over 4 hours of SOT. A few things that I'm wondering about:

I have low signal in my house and this is where I get the worst battery life. Is this "android system?"
    I play a lot of podcasts through a bluetooth headset and I wonder if bluetooth plays a big role in the android system drain.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. This post has been very helpful.

Note 5 Battery life thread-screenshot_2015-09-29-19-47-08.jpg
    09-29-2015 07:07 PM
    "Android System" is eating my battery alive. And I don't think I've ever had over 4 hours of SOT. A few things that I'm wondering about:

I have low signal in my house and this is where I get the worst battery life. Is this "android system?"
    I play a lot of podcasts through a bluetooth headset and I wonder if bluetooth plays a big role in the android system drain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-29-19-47-08.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	199089
    Wow that's really high, not sure why, if you seen my battery life i get over a day and sot highest I've had was at 6hrs and 25 min

Running On Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920A
    09-29-2015 07:10 PM

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-29-19-47-08.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	199089
    I think you're probably right... The phone is working hard to get a signal, pretty sure that falls under Android system
    09-29-2015 07:33 PM
    Screen write is one of your Spen features, you can take a screen shot that way, it's quick and easy. As for the Google services, are you using Google now?
    Note 5 Battery life thread-1443574965163.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-1443574953686.jpg
    I am pretty sure all that is off. I do use Google voice to text. I do I confirm if its off?
    09-29-2015 08:03 PM
    Very happy. No battery saver apps installed. Screen at 50% brightness, Wi-Fi on at all times. Sync on, Bluetooth off.

1 day and 2 hours with 4+ in screen time is pretty great.And still had some juice left!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-657.jpg  
    09-29-2015 08:52 PM

Name:	1443574965163.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	199097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1443574953686.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	199096
    I am pretty sure all that is off. I do use Google voice to text. I do I confirm if its off?
    Hold your home button, that will launch Google now. If you're using it you'll see information there presented on different cards.

I might be missing something, but according to the above screen shot you're getting nearly two days out of the battery...
    laestrella likes this.
    09-30-2015 12:31 AM

Name:	1443574965163.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	199097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1443574953686.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	199096
    Dude, Almost 2 days?? Do you NOT use your phone?
    Maybe I just have a Horrible battery in the first place cause I've done just about everything listed in this thread to help improve battery life.
    09-30-2015 12:33 AM
    Hold your home button, that will launch Google now. If you're using it you'll see information there presented on different cards.

I might be missing something, but according to the above screen shot you're getting nearly two days out of the battery...
    Maybe I just have a Horrible battery in the first place cause I've done just about everything listed in this thread to help improve battery life.
    Google now is not being used.

I actually have gotten over two days (see attached screen shots) I'm not complaining about battery life, I'm pretty content, i just don't get why Google Play Services is always at the top with such a high percentage and what is causing it ?

Eh not as much as I used my note 3. I used to use it a lot for work but the Microsoft Exchange email was destroying my battery so I had to remove it. It was constantly syncing no matter how much I changed the settings. Note 5 Battery life thread-1443612230064.jpgNote 5 Battery life thread-1443612247894.jpg
    09-30-2015 06:25 AM
    Sorry but these people that post these over the top battery stats simply aren't using the phone at the rate that a lot of people like me need to.

I talk to clients and customers at least 90-120 minutes a day. So it's a PHONE.

then I do a lot of email and texting. Some Web browsing and some social media. I also spend a bit reading articles from the WSJ and Feedly as well as ESPN and MLB. Use my ESPN Fantasy app to do a few things as well.

Now when I have a good cell connection I can get 14-16 hours with 4-4.5 hours SOT.

Just for laughs I decided to not use my phone all that much over the weekend, just checking a few things randomly. Low and Behold I too got 1 day 15 hours out of it.

I'd love to see some of these people work their phones like I do and then report back with results.

09-30-2015 06:37 AM
    Sorry but these people that post these over the top battery stats simply aren't using the phone at the rate that a lot of people like me need to.

then I do a lot of email and texting. Some Web browsing and some social media. I also spend a bit reading articles from the WSJ and Feedly as well as ESPN and MLB. Use my ESPN Fantasy app to do a few things as well.

Now when I have a good cell connection I can get 14-16 hours with 4-4.5 hours SOT.

Just for laughs I decided to not use my phone all that much over the weekend, just checking a few things randomly. Low and Behold I too got 1 day 15 hours out of it.

I'd love to see some of these people work their phones like I do and then report back with results.

When i use my AT&T Note 5 Hardcore i get from 13 hrs and sot 7hrs so those that can't get that must be something wrong with connection or phone.

Running On Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920A
    09-30-2015 07:11 AM

Thanks for being realistic. I use my phone hardcore too, Running Spotify all day, browse these forums, check into AC, use Facebook, reply to texts and gmail chat through Hangouts, view YouTube videos, respond to emails from work. I get up to 15 hours a day. Just the whole 1 day , 2 day thing got to me.

I Hardly talk on the phone.
    look-fast likes this.
    09-30-2015 08:15 AM

Who is your carrier?
    09-30-2015 09:02 AM
    I'll repost this from a couple weeks ago, since we're talking about *really* using the phone and still getting good results...

Fairly heavy use at home yesterday on a lazy Sunday.

A few brief calls, some texting, email, Facebook, Tapatalk, Netflix, Words with Friends, etc...

Brightness on auto, bluetooth on all day (syncs with my fitbit and Bowflex Max), wifi on, advanced calling on. I've disabled/uninstalled apps that I don't need or use, but I don't use anything like package disabler to disable services or anything like that.

Pretty happy with my battery life.

09-30-2015 09:28 AM

You're probably right spasell - I have been reading a book on my tablet and haven't been using the phone as much as usual. I still have it there with me and I text/answer occasionally, make several short calls a day, check my email probably every 30 minutes or so... but for the most part, no where near as much as I had been since I got the Note 5. Here's the screen captures from 9/27-28 and 9/29-30: I don't have one from a heavy use period but I'll try to remember to do that for comparison.

Note 5 Battery life thread-note_5_battery_1.jpg Note 5 Battery life thread-note_5_battery_2.jpg
    09-30-2015 02:41 PM
    Thanks for being realistic. I use my phone hardcore too, Running Spotify all day, browse these forums, check into AC, use Facebook, reply to texts and gmail chat through Hangouts, view YouTube videos, respond to emails from work. I get up to 15 hours a day. Just the whole 1 day , 2 day thing got to me.

I Hardly talk on the phone.
    Not everyone is the same -- that goes for phone usage .
    09-30-2015 03:20 PM
    Verizon
    09-30-2015 07:59 PM
    Verizon
    Verizon doesn't have a really great option for a signal booster. I think they have a small free one for the house.
    09-30-2015 08:03 PM
    I called Verizon about it and they said it was $175 for a signal booster. I'm holding out hope for wifi calling to happen soon. They didn't give me a timeline on that though. Obviously being at home makes charging easier, especially with the wireless option.
    09-30-2015 08:49 PM
    I called about it and they said it was $175 for a signal booster. I'm holding out hope for wifi calling to happen soon. They didn't give me a timeline on that though. Obviously being at home makes charging easier, especially with the wireless option.
    Some of the other people know more about what they have. Thru so have one small one that I think is free, don't know how well it works.

It seems T-Mobile has the best signal booster out there and theirs is free.
    09-30-2015 08:51 PM
    Its interesting to see few people have more than 1 day battery life over wifi.
    For me it gives hardly 12 to 15 hrs over wifi with moderate use and with same usage on 4g it gives morethan 1 day.
    Unfortunately i cannot connect to 4g always as i am on limited plan with ATT.

Yes i have disabled most of the apps i dont use like facebook uber all ATT apps and samsung apps
    09-30-2015 09:35 PM
    For me it gives hardly 12 to 15 hrs over wifi with moderate use and with same usage on 4g it gives morethan 1 day.

Yes i have disabled most of the apps i dont use like facebook uber all ATT apps and samsung apps
    I stayed on WiFi almost all the time, until the other day..I kept forgetting I have a lot more data now. WiFi or data hasn't made a difference for me, still generally 1-2 days on battery.
    09-30-2015 10:41 PM
    I can't seem to figure out if I have something consuming all my battery or this is just normal battery life.

On a regular 8 hour work shift. I take the bus to work and listen to Pandora while reading stuff on internet. Takes about 40 minute to get to work. The phone idles majority of the time, read stuff on internet for about 30 minutes on break. Listen to Pandora while reading stuff on internet on the way back home, same thing, another 40 minutes. By the time I get home, I'm sitting at around 35% battery. Sounds terrible how little activity I actually did on the phone.
    09-30-2015 10:53 PM
    Battery life has gotten slightly worse since I enabled Google now, which was to be expected. PS, anyone else having Instagram drain the battery in the background? I need to force stop it at least twice a day.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1443692025137.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1443692042086.jpg  
    10-01-2015 04:36 AM
    So here is something interesting... What's up with Gmail running for an hour and all the wake locks for sync? Is this normal gmail behavior?
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1443747418404.jpg  
    10-01-2015 07:57 PM

Are you on mixed band Wi-Fi? You can try separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on your router. I have seen people who have fixed WiFi battery drain by just locking the phone to 2.4ghz

dreaming of electric sheep
    10-01-2015 08:37 PM
3,351 ... 6566676869 ...