04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 8485868788 ...
tools
    Here's your note 5, now read the battery bible thread on Android central to get through the day.

Very disappointed with the battery on this very capable device. Battery was OK for awhile, but the last 2 weeks all of a sudden it just sucks. Sure I can do a factory reset and set this thing up again.

People posting these outrageous battery stats... What are you doing? Do you just use the calculator app and have everything disabled? Screen so black you need to be in the dark to see? Sorry I'm getting sick of spending so much time researching on how to get my phone to last a day without being plugged in half the time.
    Nothing drastic here...

I disabled/uninstalled all of the apps that I don't need/use... not for battery improvement, but to clean up the app drawer.

I don't use anything like package disabler, so all services are running.

I keep brightness set to auto... I use wifi when it's available... NFC is off, as I don't use it... bluetooth is on 24/7 set to sync all day with my Fitbit, and synced to my car for about an hour's worth of commuting each day.

Gmail is set to push immediately, facebook notifications as well. Email, phone calls, texting, tapatalk, words with friends, youtube, internet browsing (Chrome)...

Nothing I do is an intentional effort to increase battery life... I *USE* my phone, and I happen to also get good (sometimes great) battery life.
    tanson1011 and bassplayrguy like this.
    10-29-2015 09:46 PM
    I would think keeping brightness at auto would be counterintuitive to some folks expecially if you keep your brightness at lets say 30% and under. I played around with auto and it will put the brightness above 30% in many situations
    10-29-2015 10:39 PM
    So i dont consider that a battery saving tip
    10-29-2015 10:40 PM
    Here is my thoughts on smartphones in general. The curent crop. 2013 and above - You can now really know less and less about smartphones especially the internals because of how far we have come with cell tech. You can literally blind fold someone and yes, even the the experts and picky people here and have them walk into any of the top service providers and have them play pin the tail on the smartphone and they would have a phone that should and exceed thier expectations in almost every area with maybe battery being the only issue they find. That's just how I feel
    10-29-2015 11:22 PM
    Anyone else agree?
    10-29-2015 11:23 PM
    It's like some companies become retarded when it comes to upgrading thier phone's. Lg is the perfect example. They put out 2 phones since the g2. The g3 and now the g4. All have 3000mah batteries? Why? Silly?? Makes little sense
    10-29-2015 11:26 PM
    Nothing drastic here...

I disabled/uninstalled all of the apps that I don't need/use... not for battery improvement, but to clean up the app drawer.

I don't use anything like package disabler, so all services are running.

I keep brightness set to auto... I use wifi when it's available... NFC is off, as I don't use it... bluetooth is on 24/7 set to sync all day with my Fitbit, and synced to my car for about an hour's worth of commuting each day.

Gmail is set to push immediately, facebook notifications as well. Email, phone calls, texting, tapatalk, words with friends, youtube, internet browsing (Chrome)...

Nothing I do is an intentional effort to increase battery life... I *USE* my phone, and I happen to also get good (sometimes great) battery life.
    Very similar here. I don't have time to tinker with things here and there to squeeze every drop out of my battery. I just use the thing and never think about it. Usually end the day with 4-5 hours of screen on time and anywhere from 30%-5% depending on the day.
    10-30-2015 01:14 AM
    Here's your note 5, now read the battery bible thread on Android central to get through the day.

Very disappointed with the battery on this very capable device. Battery was OK for awhile, but the last 2 weeks all of a sudden it just sucks. Sure I can do a factory reset and set this thing up again.

People posting these outrageous battery stats... What are you doing? Do you just use the calculator app and have everything disabled? Screen so black you need to be in the dark to see? Sorry I'm getting sick of spending so much time researching on how to get my phone to last a day without being plugged in half the time.
    Real simple and probably obvious, but have you turned your phone off recently? Typically about once a week I'll just turn it off for about 5 minutes, just to give everything a fresh start. Usually the first day of usage when I turn it back on is noticeably better.
    10-30-2015 01:16 AM
    Why post graphs. Why not just state what you do or don't do to achieve superb battery? Would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's the list, you don't have to do all of this, for example I disabled Samsung voice because it's not useful for me.
    1.Disable GPS, Bluetooth, NFC and turn them on when necessary
    2.Disable Wi-Fi calling
    3.Disable voice over LTE : on phone application go to more, settings. Find Voice over lte settings and set it do not use volte
    4.Disable all motions: settings, motion and gestures, turn all 4 options off
    5.Disable SVOICE and Shealth app
    6.Disable all Google useless services
    7. Use black wallpapers for screen and lock screen
    8.Go to location setting and turn off Google location history
    9.Turn 4g data off when using Wi-Fi or don't need Internet
    10.Turn useless vibrations and sounds off
    11.Go to developer settings and turn all animations off
    12.Go to Wi-Fi settings, more, advanced and turn always allow scanning off
    13. Use auto mode for display light
    14.If you don't using Samsung printer service Disable it, on settings, connection, more connection settings, printing, Samsung print service plug-in
    15.This is just an advice, don't use more than one application for one task, you don't need 2 calculators or 2 pdf readers and so on..
    16. Use clean master every week and Uninstall it after that. Just clean junks with it
    17.Turn backup data and auto sync off
    18.Go to smart manager, ram, manage apps and auto stop apps you don't want to run on background, for example an application like what's app needs to run on background but games or pdf readers don't.
    19. Do not use Google Chrome if you can. The default browser is so good and support fingerprint sign-in which is a nice feature.
    20. Be smart, use do not need Gmail app,yahoo mail app, and ... to manage your emails (this is just an example) you can install an application like k@mail to control all your email accounts with just 1 application , same thing for note taking and ...

Hope you find this useful, tell me if any of this tips worked for you.
    Bklyndude likes this.
    10-30-2015 02:24 AM

Nope to all your questions.

Until people do some research themselves, change some settings themselves and then post some specific questions, it is hard for people to help them.

Barring specific issues, your battery should be more than ok. My battery has been just as good or better than my Note 4.
    10-30-2015 02:29 AM
    I would think keeping brightness at auto would be counterintuitive to some folks expecially if you keep your brightness at lets say 30% and under. I played around with auto and it will put the brightness above 30% in many situations
    So i dont consider that a battery saving tip
    Have you read any of this thread from the beginning yet and how much?
    10-30-2015 02:33 AM
    Like 13 pages. Skimmed some of the others
    10-30-2015 02:38 AM
    Battery is a bit better today
    10-30-2015 02:41 AM

Why is Android System, Kernel, Google Play Service, and System always so high on the list?

These are my disable stuff. Anything I shouldn't disable that would impact battery life?
    Two things.. Android System, Kernel and Android OS can be a "drop bucket" for many things. Since they started, with KitKat I believe, not allowing us to see as much without root, many things can just be dropped into those categories that cause them to be high. There are days that I have tethered a lot and those where high and says I have tethered a lot and they weren't high.

With the changes in KitKat, the only way to get more detail is use wake lock detector (app in the Play Store) and go through the process of using it on your computer. I've never used it like that. I always used it before KitKat and did use it after, when I would root.
    10-30-2015 02:43 AM
    Here's the list, you don't have to do all of this, for example I disabled Samsung voice because it's not useful for me.
    2.Disable Wi-Fi calling
    3.Disable voice over LTE : on phone application go to more, settings. Find Voice over lte settings and set it do not use volte
    14.If you don't using Samsung printer service Disable it, on settings, connection, more connection settings, printing, Samsung print service plug-in
    15.This is just an advice, don't use more than one application for one task, you don't need 2 calculators or 2 pdf readers and so on..
    16. Use clean master every week and Uninstall it after that. Just clean junks with it
    18.Go to smart manager, ram, manage apps and auto stop apps you don't want to run on background, for example an application like what's app needs to run on background but games or pdf readers don't.
    19. Do not use Google Chrome if you can. The default browser is so good and support fingerprint sign-in which is a nice feature.
    20. Be smart, use do not need Gmail app,yahoo mail app, and ... to manage your emails (this is just an example) you can install an application like k@mail to control all your email accounts with just 1 application , same thing for note taking and ...

I don't see number 3 in more settings volte
    10-30-2015 02:45 AM
    Some options might be a bit different on verizon. Will research. Thanks
    10-30-2015 02:49 AM
    2.Disable Wi-Fi calling

The only thing on your list that I do is this:

Also, NEVER, EVER use Clean Master. Cheetah Mobile is one of the worst things for Android phones. They should be kicked out of the Play Store.

I have 18 Chrome windows open right now, that is a tiny amount. Generally I have 50-90 open at all times.

That uses Clean Master and I refuse to touch it. Android doesn't need RAM management these days. Today, Android runs better with a full RAM. I don't close out applications.
    10-30-2015 02:52 AM
    I don't see number 3 in more settings volte
    I would never suggest all the above. That is removing things that make your phone a smart phone.

VoLTE and/or Advanced calling (which is Verizon) is necessary to talk on the phone and have mobile data at the same time.
    10-30-2015 02:54 AM
    Ok. And verizon doesnt have smartmanager from what i can see
    10-30-2015 03:09 AM
    Ok. And verizon doesnt have smartmanager from what i can see
    No they don't have Cheetah Mobile on Verizon. Cheetah Mobile is something I disable, I don't disable Smart Manager because it removed the battery percentage that is by the battery icon. I don't touch Smart Manager.

The only time I have touched it was to confirm Cheetah Mobile started up when that was opened.
    10-30-2015 03:13 AM
    I would never suggest all the above. That is removing things that make your phone a smart phone.

VoLTE and/or Advanced calling (which is Verizon) is necessary to talk on the phone and have mobile data at the same time.
    Exactly. That list is absurd. I've done zero things on that list, my battery lasts all day with 4-5 hours of screen on time.

How many of those things have actually proven to save battery life, and exactly how much?
    10-30-2015 03:42 AM
    Guys I have T-mobile and don't have any idea how's Verizon work, but I see Verizon is not using GSM band so you need VoLTE. Sorry for that.

I didn't say use clean master for ram management. Just for cleaning junks.

I can reach 10 hours screen time with this settings. of course it's hard to say which one is more important. But i just want to share my experience.
    10-30-2015 04:01 AM
    Guys I have T-mobile and don't have any idea how's Verizon work, but I see Verizon is not using GSM band so you need VoLTE. Sorry for that.

I didn't say use clean master for ram management. Just for cleaning junks.

I can reach 10 hours screen time with this settings. of course it's hard to say which one is more important. But i just want to share my experience.
    I have TMO, it uses VoLTE for your LTE data and voice connection at the same time.

Clean Master should never, ever be used, seriously. It is an evil app that will cause you more problems than help. There is nothing you should need to clean.

Sure you can reach 10 hours SOT, your phone is basically a flip phone with a large screen.
    10-30-2015 04:16 AM
    I came from AT&T, where we could talk and browse with no problem.

With TMO and VoLTE off, either you can't talk and browse at the same time or your data is bumped down to 3G or 2G and you can't connect.
    rainyboy7 likes this.
    10-30-2015 04:19 AM
    I have TMO, it uses VoLTE for your LTE data and voice connection at the same time.

Clean Master should never, ever be used, seriously. It is an evil app that will cause you more problems than help. There is nothing you should need to clean.

Sure you can reach 10 hours SOT, your phone is basically a flip phone with a large screen.
    Yes agree DON'T EVER USE CLEAN MASTER VERY VERY VERY BAD! had to put that in caps!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    10-30-2015 04:20 AM
3,351 ... 8485868788 ...