04-25-2017 07:16 AM
3,351 ... 8687888990 ...
tools
    Thanks for the great summary! This was exactly what many of us were hoping for.
    That is a BAD idea and isn't necessary for most.

I have one of all those things done. My battery is great.

Again, everyone uses different apps and uses their phone in different ways. I don't know many that have completely disabled their phone until it is basically a tablet.
    10-30-2015 10:53 AM
    4 to 5 hours of screen on time? Lol. So what apps do you use and why are you in this thread. Just to tell people you have great battery life?
    You don't use the same apps and won't.
    10-30-2015 10:53 AM
    Here's the list, you don't have to do all of this, for example I disabled Samsung voice because it's not useful for me.
    1.Disable GPS, Bluetooth, NFC and turn them on when necessary
    2.Disable Wi-Fi calling
    3.Disable voice over LTE : on phone application go to more, settings. Find Voice over lte settings and set it do not use volte
    4.Disable all motions: settings, motion and gestures, turn all 4 options off
    5.Disable SVOICE and Shealth app
    6.Disable all Google useless services
    7. Use black wallpapers for screen and lock screen
    8.Go to location setting and turn off Google location history
    9.Turn 4g data off when using Wi-Fi or don't need Internet
    10.Turn useless vibrations and sounds off
    11.Go to developer settings and turn all animations off
    12.Go to Wi-Fi settings, more, advanced and turn always allow scanning off
    13. Use auto mode for display light
    14.If you don't using Samsung printer service Disable it, on settings, connection, more connection settings, printing, Samsung print service plug-in
    15.This is just an advice, don't use more than one application for one task, you don't need 2 calculators or 2 pdf readers and so on..
    16. Use clean master every week and Uninstall it after that. Just clean junks with it
    17.Turn backup data and auto sync off
    18.Go to smart manager, ram, manage apps and auto stop apps you don't want to run on background, for example an application like what's app needs to run on background but games or pdf readers don't.
    19. Do not use Google Chrome if you can. The default browser is so good and support fingerprint sign-in which is a nice feature.
    20. Be smart, use do not need Gmail app,yahoo mail app, and ... to manage your emails (this is just an example) you can install an application like k@mail to control all your email accounts with just 1 application , same thing for note taking and ...

Hope you find this useful, tell me if any of this tips worked for you.
    For me -- I wouldn't do most of these. I want my smartphone to be smart and disabling a ton of the stuff that makes it smart isn't worth it. I would rather charge a little more for the sake of having my features .
    10-30-2015 11:08 AM
    For me -- I wouldn't do most of these. I want my smartphone to be smart and disabling a ton of the stuff that makes it smart isn't worth it. I would rather charge a little more for the sake of having my features .
    Right might as well turn the phone into a paperweight, so again making a list is a Bad idea like Kelly said.
    10-30-2015 11:58 AM
    Right might as well turn the phone into a paperweight, so again making a list is a Bad idea like Kelly said.
    Oddly, the one really pushing for the list doesn't even have a Note 5..
    kj11 likes this.
    10-30-2015 12:07 PM
    I agree but if someone NEEDS the battery life and wants some easy to find and follow directions they are there. I actually like to sync everything and connect whenever in my car.

A couple of guys asked for something like this and at least it was an honest effort to comply. I appreciate that effort. If one were to quote that original and add some other suggestion I'm sure some would appreciate it. Obviously we all use different apps and sometimes a particular app is a battery sucker but there really is no way to prepare an exhaustive list of every app like that. Personally, I have found virtually any game app is better if frozen when not in use but that's just me. May not be true for every game nor every user.

Some people come to this thread for help and are frustrated by the shear volume of it. I think a sticky containing only the tips without dozens of screenshots of excellent battery life would be super helpful to beginners or those who simply do not have the time to read through the entire thread.

I hope owning a particular phone is not a prerequisite for participating in a thread. It is true I own a Note 3 but am actively looking into ways to save money on a Note 5 for VZW users with UDP but that is off topic. The point is I am used to a removable battery so I think it will be helpful for me to know some tips before I purchase. I have actually read much of the thread but I read some requests for a tip list so joined with them and asked if a kind member who had time would prepare one.

Just a suggestion. Please don't kill the messenger.
    Bklyndude likes this.
    10-30-2015 12:14 PM
    I agree but if someone NEEDS the battery life and wants some easy to find and follow directions they are there. A couple of guys asked for something like this and at least it was an honest effort to comply. I appreciate that effort. If one were to quote that original and add some other suggestion I'm sure some would appreciate it. Obviously we all use different apps and sometimes a particular app is a battery sucker but there really is no way to prepare an exhaustive list of every app like that. Personally, I have found virtually any game app is better if frozen when not in use but that's just me. May not be true for every game nor every user.

Some people come to this thread for help and are frustrated by the shear volume of it. I think a sticky containing only the tips without dozens of screenshots of excellent battery life would be super helpful to beginners or those who simply do not have the time to read through the entire thread.

Just a suggestion. Please don't kill the messenger.
    That question was answered, some of you just didn't like the answer.

There are no tips to sticky. Don't you think that I would have had that done if possible? I have probably made the most posts in this thread and have been the one team member constantly in this thread. It would be easier for me to have a list.

People have to read the thread. We can't do their work. We don't have their phone to set up like we would use it.
    Ruben Ocasio, Ry and calicocat2010 like this.
    10-30-2015 12:17 PM
    I want my smartphone not tablet. The thing is this is note 5 battery life topic and sometimes the more battery is the only thing you need. Or you want to know which sensor or feature eating more juice. I made that list for that reason. Someday when you need 8 or 9 hours screen on you will do this
    recDNA likes this.
    10-30-2015 02:09 PM
    I want my smartphone not tablet. The thing is this is note 5 battery life topic and sometimes the more battery is the only thing you need. Or you want to know which sensor or feature eating more juice. I made that list for that reason. Someday when you need 8 or 9 hours screen on you will do this
    But as recDNA said, they think that is a good list.

If I need 8 or 9 hours SOT, I will do ultra power saving mode, because at that point, all I need is calling.

What you posted is not an every day use for a smartphone, not close at all.
    Ruben Ocasio likes this.
    10-30-2015 02:11 PM
    One way to explain this.. Turning off a bunch of crap is not a fix for a problem, that is a bandaid.

If your signal is bad all the time, no tweaks will fix your phone, only better signal will.

Also you have to have reasonable expectations for battery life.
    bassplayrguy and Ruben Ocasio like this.
    10-30-2015 02:13 PM
    As far as tweaking your battery life, it is a matter of personal preference. As for me the first thing I do with any new phone is, as stated before, remove or disable apps I do not use. If I ever need one of them I can download or activate it. I keep my screen brightness low and am able to get an average of 17 hours with up to 5 hours SOT for normal use. If I need more time on the phone I simply charge it up via AC or a portable battery (there are several small ones on Amazon). This works for me. It may not be a solution for you. The point being, do what you want with your phone that is why you buy an Android device. You CAN do what you want with it. By reading this thread I have learned a thing or two that helps me to increase my battery life. Do I use all the tricks/tips? Of course not. But that is part of the freedom we have with Android. If you want to get 2 days battery life by reducing some of the functionality than so be it. That is YOUR choice. Would I like to see a better battery, hell yes. But when I bought the phone I knew the limitations of the battery. I accepted it and have not regretted my purchase.

There will always be those in the Android community that enjoy getting every bit of power and/or battery life they can from a device, be it the note 5 or any other phone. We can learn from them what we can do to improve our experience. I for one am grateful to those have gone to the extreme to extend their battery life, and shared their efforts with the rest of us. I was able to add about 2 hours to my battery life compared to when I first got the phone by using some of the suggestion here.
    Ruben Ocasio likes this.
    10-30-2015 02:45 PM
    this has been the best battery life since I bought the note 5, found the issue, it was an email from work I had Push email enabled. Before I wouldn't even get 9 hours, so happy I found the issue draining my battery.
    10-30-2015 04:38 PM
    Helpful info. I didn't know push Outlook used a lot of battery. I assume Outlook since since you said work but if you work at Google I suppose it is Gmail. LOL
    10-30-2015 05:04 PM
    Helpful info. I didn't know push Outlook used a lot of battery. I assume Outlook since since you said work but if you work at Google I suppose it is Gmail. LOL
    Doesn't necessarily use a lot of battery for everyone. Some people use it fine and have no issue.
    10-30-2015 05:05 PM

Sure you can reach 10 hours SOT, your phone is basically a flip phone with a large screen.
    I believe they call that a jitterbug.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1446249770005.jpg  
    rainyboy7 and Kelly Kearns like this.
    10-30-2015 07:03 PM
    But as recDNA said, they think that is a good list.

If I need 8 or 9 hours SOT, I will do ultra power saving mode, because at that point, all I need is calling.

What you posted is not an every day use for a smartphone, not close at all.
    Imagine how many hours you can get with both
    10-30-2015 08:05 PM
    So I was crying yesterday on here about the battery. So I took off the Halloween theme I had installed and went back to material dark. Also uninstalled Pocket Cast. Shut the phone down and powered it back on.

Getting above satisfactory battery life now. Sorry for my emotional outcry of battery frustration.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 5 Battery life thread-1446260632719.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1446260646115.jpg   Note 5 Battery life thread-1446260661915.jpg  
    10-30-2015 10:05 PM
    What's interesting is that my friend got a note 5 on the $1 trial (he's an iPhone guy) and his battery is so much better than mine! His 6 plus was always better than my note 4 and then 5, but now his 5 is better than his 6 plus. I think there's a glitch with my Gmail account, because if all I do is add that account, I get drain
    10-30-2015 11:04 PM
    Imagine how many hours you can get with both
    No extra hours because Ultra Power Saving disables everything and you can only do things like text and call.
    10-31-2015 12:08 AM
    So I was crying yesterday on here about the battery. So I took off the Halloween theme I had installed and went back to material dark. Also uninstalled Pocket Cast. Shut the phone down and powered it back on.

Getting above satisfactory battery life now. Sorry for my emotional outcry of battery frustration.
    Oh no.. Battery can be frustrating.

I would add the theme back and see if it was Pocket Cast.
    10-31-2015 12:09 AM
    What's interesting is that my friend got a note 5 on the $1 trial (he's an iPhone guy) and his battery is so much better than mine! His 6 plus was always better than my note 4 and then 5, but now his 5 is better than his 6 plus. I think there's a glitch with my Gmail account, because if all I do is add that account, I get drain
    You have a low signal though and seem to really use Google Now.
    Bklyndude likes this.
    10-31-2015 12:11 AM
    So yesterday I tried something different. I enabled everything in Package Disable Pro, went to application manager and only disabled stuff that it would allow me too. My battery life is noticeably better. I had plugged it in for a minute when I went to bed before I realized I forgot to take a screen shot.

Compared to the day before.

Also i think my idle power drop is significant. Pretty cap actually. Thoughts?

Kelly Kearns likes this.
    10-31-2015 09:37 AM
    So yesterday I tried something different. I enabled everything in Package Disable Pro, went to application manager and only disabled stuff that it would allow me too. My battery life is noticeably better. I had plugged it in for a minute when I went to bed before I realized I forgot to take a screen shot.

Also i think my idle power drop is significant. Pretty cap actually. Thoughts?
    I find disabling everything Package Disabler considers bloat is worse on my battery also.

I now go through and pick things and do not disable the Samsung beaming service, etc.
    10-31-2015 11:28 AM
    I find disabling everything Package Disabler considers bloat is worse on my battery also.

I now go through and pick things and do not disable the Samsung beaming service, etc.
    When I used package disabled I disabled everything it considered bloat then I went back in and enabled what I think I would need.
    10-31-2015 11:33 AM
    When I used package disabled I disabled everything it considered bloat then I went back in and enabled what I think I would need.
    Yeah I enabled some things I may or may not use, but I was finding that for me, disabling "all bloat" according to it wasn't good on my battery.
    10-31-2015 12:15 PM
3,351 ... 8687888990 ...