Note 5 Battery life thread

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
IMO, it's hard to tell how good a battery is until a few months has passed. Initially, almost any high end phone will do good for the first few weeks and will show some sign of faster draining after a few months like any batteries. But that's good to know that the new exynos chipset is way more power efficient than the note 4.
True. For me i normally have the worst battery for the first 3 to 4 days. But I'm not really expecting this phone to get better than it already is. Glad that it doesn't need to get better though.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is different... I acknowledge that. But a backup battery, be it a replaceable battery, or a Rapid Charge backup battery certainly works for me. I would never carry around a spare battery, it just doesn't seem like something I would do. Yet somehow I can easily carry around a backup battery, the kind I can re-charge my main battery with 2 or 3 times. Toss it in my jacket pocket, leave my BT ear piece on it. Then charge up my Note 5 on a day when I get busier than normal... or use it to charge as I watch netflix at lunch. Maybe even bail out a friend with an iPhone who is desperate for a charge up.

With the rapid charge versions, I can easily see 30 minutes on the back up battery to charge it up and toss 30% or more onto my phone battery.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
True. For me i normally have the worst battery for the first 3 to 4 days. But I'm not really expecting this phone to get better than it already is. Glad that it doesn't need to get better though.

That is my experience. Your setting it up, doing lots of downloads to get the phone the way you want it.. Just like battery life takes a hit after a major update pull.

If the battery is doing this good honestly, ill try it. I just want to get through a full day and have a little to spare. I leave my locations on battery saving and turn sync off anyway. On my note4 i never had to use power saving, even with what is for me a long shift.

Would be great if the topics started could actually stay on topic instead of fading off into something else.. But i know that wont happen, even if a thread was started to just "post your gripes".

Anyway, im thankful for the battery info in the battery thread by the people who are actually TESTING the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

OhReaaaalye

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Samsung is supposedly releasing fast-charging portable battery pack

IMG_20150817_171357.jpg

This thing will charge your note5 0% to 50% in just 30 minutes

seems like a great new option

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung is supposedly releasing fast-charging portable battery pack

I thought Aukey has one?

Regardless, if you're a heavy user, you're gonna need this.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So far, looks like it's getting impressive battery life, despite the smaller battery.

However, this makes me sad, because after seeing how good (so far) the Note 5 goes on a 3000mAh cell, I wonder how much longer it could last if it had that rumored 4100mAh battery. That rumor pretty much spoiled me. ;_;

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
So far, looks like it's getting impressive battery life, despite the smaller battery.

However, this makes me sad, because after seeing how good (so far) the Note 5 goes on a 3000mAh cell, I wonder how much longer it could last if it had that rumored 4100mAh battery. That rumor pretty much spoiled me. ;_;

I was hoping to see a bigger battery, but as long as i rarely have to charge it between waking up and laying down I'll be good!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to see a bigger battery, but as long as i rarely have to charge it between waking up and laying down I'll be good!

Although I know it's unlikely, I'm hoping that I win the Note 5 giveaway.
Unlikely, though.
If I don't win, I won't be so bitterly disappointed since I have my LG G4 which I love so very much.
Just wanted to see how living with a Note as a work device feels like.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Although I know it's unlikely, I'm hoping that I win the Note 5 giveaway.
Unlikely, though.
If I don't win, I won't be so bitterly disappointed since I have my LG G4 which I love so very much.
Just wanted to see how living with a Note as a work device feels like.

Depending on your work its great. I use (and miss my note4) for work. Being able to jot down quick reminders or information is great. I like the big screen because during bad weather i can see the weather radars nice and clear.

A few years ago we had a pretty good wild fire in the area and i was able to screenshot the the area map and write on it to send out to the first responders.

A note is great for a lot of work, while i didnt use the spen all the time it was great when i needed it. Again, i never needed an sdcard i just dont keep a lot on my phone, but i did need an all day battery, and a good battery (which the note5 is seeming to have) it is a great tool!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A few years ago we had a pretty good wild fire in the area and i was able to screenshot the the area map and write on it to send out to the first responders.

Holy cow, that's awesome!!

I think my G4 might be able to do that with a capacitive stylus, but I don't think it'll be as easy and as quick as the Note.

I love my G4 because it does everything that I want it to do very well, though I seriously think that as a work-focused device, the Note is my personal pick. My G4 can do work stuff well, but I think the Note is more suited for that. I still love my G4, though.

Also a pretty good Swiss Army Knife-like device. (Both the G4 and Note)

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had an LG since a slide phone, and it made me mad that the size charging cord would not charge a non LG phone lol!

I have a friend who's mom has the G3 and she loves it, so i can't speak bad of them

For me though, right now i have the droid turbo and love it and the 3900mah battery, the screen is 5.2, if i went any bigger than that i just couldn't see not having a built in stylus to go with it. The spen has come so far

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Why weren't these optimizations included in the s6? Or does that extra mAh really that big of a difference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Why weren't these optimizations included in the s6? Or does that extra mAh really that big of a difference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think it does make a difference. You have to figure your pushing a bigger screen, but between the s6 and the note5 the bigger battery may be just enough to still show an improvement.

Personally i think 3300 should be a bare minimum for a phablet, even with the lower usage of the new processor.

However, if the other battery results show that the 3000mah with the new processor can do what the 3220 was doing for the note4 with the 805 processor, that's enough for me (barely lol) and i will consider the phone.. Like i said i have a week to decide if i want to get one on release day.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
First full weekend with the Note 5. I can report battery life has been....................better than expected. Standby time seems to be pretty solid. With the phone off, the battery stays fairly level which was not the case with my GS6. Maybe its 5.1? dont know. Today is the first full day of work so I can comment further later. Good to see that Samsung seems to have done some good work optimizing this thing.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
First full weekend with the Note 5. I can report battery life has been....................better than expected. Standby time seems to be pretty solid. With the phone off, the battery stays fairly level which was not the case with my GS6. Maybe its 5.1? dont know. Today is the first full day of work so I can comment further later. Good to see that Samsung seems to have done some good work optimizing this thing.

Thanks, some of us will be looking forward to your results!

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
This is just a thought, and maybe I am wrong.

Lets assume Samsung designed this device with the idea of targeting both the power users and the general population...but made sacrifices (to the advantage of the general consumer) to achieve a stable, thin, premium, fast phablet. Obviously, from a financial standpoint, this makes sense. The so called "power users" make up a very small, very vocal minority that frequent tech sites. Samsung wants to target the everyday person that generally knows there are "iphones" and "galaxies". This is how they have to think, in order to grow and survive.

Anyway...could it also be possible, assuming the note 5 performs on a general level similar to or slight better than the note 4...that this was Samsungs goal? Meet the current standard of their previous note, make it slimmer, premium, and all around better....and then wait for Android M?

Think about it...if android M lives up to its goal, in which "sleep mode" can drastically increase the stand-by time of the device...what will be left to complain about? If this comes to fruition, won't the note 5 match or better the iOS device of the same size, making the everyday consumer happy? Believe it or not...looks, material, and "thinness" really matter to John and Jane Doe when they walk into a carrier store, bestbuy, whatever, and see the galaxies and iphones competing for their attention.

Just a though...

Dr Footie

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
There's a good review of the battery over on sammobile with a couple good graphics of the Note 5 vs several other phones. I'd post it but apparently I cant post links yet here.

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Phone Arena Battery Test (Note 5 v. Others)

How did the s6 do?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn