Note 5 Battery life thread

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Phone Arena Battery Test (Note 5 v. Others)

Just how many people have these phones already and have had them long enough to really make any serious judgements about it? The way I've read some of these posts, there seems to be quite a few people who've had this phone for months already and are waiting on the Note 6 to upgrade.

I'll say I'm not real happy with the phone and I don't even have it yet, but, I'm going to give it a chance. I'm going to see how it compares to my older Note2 that I'm replacing it with and going to run it just like I have for the past 3 years.

My Note2 has a 3100mAh battery that's still running strong. The Note3/4 had a 3200mAh battery and people complained about battery life. The Note5 has a 3000mAh battery and people are going to complain about the battery.

The differences between the 4 phones is only 2/100ths of an amp of power. I really don't think it's that significant in the grand scheme of things. If it were possible to place any of those batteries into any of the other phones, I'm willing to bet the drain and standby times would probably not be that significant.

I'm really curious to know what the real user experiences are with the phone. I don't care about test times and charts showing what phone does what with full charts running some test program. It's not real world. Just like all the charts looking at the way a processor tests compared. Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference between Exynos, Qualcomm, Atom processor when they're using it.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the S6 and there was no way the battery lasted longer than the G4 I had. This is why benchmarks are crap. They're not accurate.

Yours may not have lasted very long but my s6 edge battery is class. Easily average over 4-5 hours SOT even managed over 6 on a few occasions.

Posted via the Android Central App

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Just how many people have these phones already and have had them long enough to really make any serious judgements about it? The way I've read some of these posts, there seems to be quite a few people who've had this phone for months already and are waiting on the Note 6 to upgrade.

I'll say I'm not real happy with the phone and I don't even have it yet, but, I'm going to give it a chance. I'm going to see how it compares to my older Note2 that I'm replacing it with and going to run it just like I have for the past 3 years.

My Note2 has a 3100mAh battery that's still running strong. The Note3/4 had a 3200mAh battery and people complained about battery life. The Note5 has a 3000mAh battery and people are going to complain about the battery.

The differences between the 4 phones is only 2/100ths of an amp of power. I really don't think it's that significant in the grand scheme of things. If it were possible to place any of those batteries into any of the other phones, I'm willing to bet the drain and standby times would probably not be that significant.

I'm really curious to know what the real user experiences are with the phone. I don't care about test times and charts showing what phone does what with full charts running some test program. It's not real world. Just like all the charts looking at the way a processor tests compared. Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference between Exynos, Qualcomm, Atom processor when they're using it.
One thing you can't forget is that the dpi has doubled from the note 2 to the 4/5. So the screens have become bigger battery hogs while they've been trying get to make processors more efficient to offset that. If you put the note 5 screen on a note 2, you probably wouldn't get 2 hours of sot. Put the note 2 screen on a 5 though and you'd probably get 12 hours sot. I always wanted them to stop adding resolution and give me better battery. But nobody listens to me.. lol. Although the 5 screen is pretty awesome. Maybe we've hit a peak and it can stop now.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

One thing you can't forget is that the dpi has doubled from the note 2 to the 4/5. So the screens have become bigger battery hogs while they've been trying get to make processors more efficient to offset that. If you put the note 5 screen on a note 2, you probably wouldn't get 2 hours of sot. Put the note 2 screen on a 5 though and you'd probably get 12 hours sot. I always wanted them to stop adding resolution and give me better battery. But nobody listens to me.. lol. Although the 5 screen is pretty awesome. Maybe we've hit a peak and it can stop now.

To be honest i would have been just as happy with 1080 on my note4, it got about the same battery life as my note3 did with a slightly smaller battery.

The big difference in the note5 feom the note4 is going to have to be the new processor, and the fact that it offsets the power usage. Which we are seeing so far from those who have the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear how people's standby time has done the past couple days. My Note 4 seems to drain at the same rate regardless of screen being on. In 12 hours it's dead. Sometimes with 2.5 hrs SOT sometimes with almost 6.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question and I figure I'll ask here since it's battery/charging related:

The charger that's gonna come with the phone is quick charge, right? And it's the charging unit itself that matters not the cord? I ask because 3 feet is way too short for me and would like to know what I'd need to order from Amazon. I have regular Amazon 6ft USB cables that I use to charge my current phone. Will it work for quick charging?

Thanks.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick question and I figure I'll ask here since it's battery/charging related:

The charger that's gonna come with the phone is quick charge, right? And it's the charging unit itself that matters not the cord? I ask because 3 feet is way too short for me and would like to know what I'd need to order from Amazon. I have regular Amazon 6ft USB cables that I use to charge my current phone. Will it work for quick charging?

Thanks.
The phone should come with a quick charge charger, and yes it's the charger itself that activates the quick charge, not the phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. Does the cord being used matter at all? Like I said, I definitely use longer than the standard length cord that comes in the box with new phones.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
This is just a thought, and maybe I am wrong.

Lets assume Samsung designed this device with the idea of targeting both the power users and the general population...but made sacrifices (to the advantage of the general consumer) to achieve a stable, thin, premium, fast phablet. Obviously, from a financial standpoint, this makes sense. The so called "power users" make up a very small, very vocal minority that frequent tech sites. Samsung wants to target the everyday person that generally knows there are "iphones" and "galaxies". This is how they have to think, in order to grow and survive.

Anyway...could it also be possible, assuming the note 5 performs on a general level similar to or slight better than the note 4...that this was Samsungs goal? Meet the current standard of their previous note, make it slimmer, premium, and all around better....and then wait for Android M?

Think about it...if android M lives up to its goal, in which "sleep mode" can drastically increase the stand-by time of the device...what will be left to complain about? If this comes to fruition, won't the note 5 match or better the iOS device of the same size, making the everyday consumer happy? Believe it or not...looks, material, and "thinness" really matter to John and Jane Doe when they walk into a carrier store, bestbuy, whatever, and see the galaxies and iphones competing for their attention.

Just a though...

Way too much common sense in this post to be appropriate for this forum.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. Does the cord being used matter at all? Like I said, I definitely use longer than the standard length cord that comes in the box with new phones.

You can swap the cord for any longer one. I've done that with my GN4 , and it still fast-charges fine.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You can swap the cord for any longer one. I've done that with my GN4 , and it still fast-charges fine.

Correct. I am pretty sure the cord has to support data transfer as well...can't be just a charge only usb cord. Could be wrong...I believe that is the case for qualcom at least.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Roberto, a quick question.

How much usable storage is on your phone?

I see some folks saying that Best Buy display units have 15GB of usable storage on the 32GB variant, which I hope is only due to the crap they load onto display units.
I have the 64gb version and I have 49.13 left after all my stuff is on it.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

I ran into an issue with these, including the supplied Samsung cable, early on with my Note2. I discovered that the cable was a relatively small gauge cable. Most USB cords you buy are going to be a 28g or smaller(larger number) and sometimes has trouble getting the most current through the wires to charge your phone quickly.

I bought what are called 28/24g cables and noticed a significant increase in the charging current going to my phone. They are noticeably larger than the typical USB cable. I bought a few of varying lengths via Monoprice and from 2ft to 16ft, I got between 900mA up to around 1800mA initial charge rate. The most I was able to get from the standard and stock cables was around 800ma max.

I use the app: Galaxy Charging Current that measures the current going into the phone when the USB cable is plugged in. When I've got it plugged into the USB2 ports on my computer using either standard or larger USB cable I get a steady 466mA. When I use the Samsung wall plug, or any other 2.1amp charger, I notice a pretty big difference between the two sizes. Bigger is Better.

Just think of the example of a water pipe. The bigger the pipe, the less resistance to flow, the more water that can flow through it. Current is the water.

To remember gauge size. Think of a 1 inch circle and you're trying to put as many smaller circles into it. The greater the number of circles, the smaller you have to make them, hence to get "MORE" circles, say 28, you'd have to draw them smaller. If you only drew 24 circles inside that same 1 inch circle, they would be larger circles. Here's a photo of wire sizes to give a better example
51155039ce395f0805000006.jpg

Hope this helps.