Note 5 Battery life thread

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Quick charge will heat your battery up shortening it's life more than a slow charge will.

Design a phone with a small battery, offer quick charge as the solution, which kills the battery faster, which isn't user replaceable, so it may be better to buy a new phone rather than replacing the battery, Samsung sales increase.

Posted via the Android Central App

WOW. That sounds about right. A normal consumer wouldn't think so deeply. Thanks for the info.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This is what I have started doing... Only fast charge for emergencies...i say this because I noticed my battery getting weaker on my S6 and I have always used quick charge with it when I charge, even for non emergencies

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

Does the battery go back to normal using regular charge? I have a S6 Edge and don't want the battery to get weaker especially since I just got it in April.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Hope it continues after about 6 months to a year.

all rechargeable batteries degrade after 6 months to a year. there's no way around it.
(okay, fine, some MIT engineer is trying to come up with a battery that NEVER degrades
no matter how many times it's been charged, but that's not on the market yet)

guess there is no way around having the Note 5's internal battery replaced, at least
the way I use phones. I fully charge my Note phone from near death back to 100%
almost every single day. :(

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Totally nonsense to generalize that quick-charging damages today's batteries. I do not purchase phones that do not have this capability. I have multiple Sony Z3s, Motorola Droid Turbos, Samsung S6s, iPhone 6s, and now a Note 5. For the past 3 years, I've used nothing but quick-chargers at home, office, in cars.

One key measurement that determines how much charge a phone can safely receive is the C-rate, or the rate at which a battery charges or discharges. The C-rate is the ratio between the charging rate and the capacity of the battery as measured in milliampere-hours (mAh). All batteries in devices with the proper chipsets, rated at 1C, can handle this C-rate without getting damaged.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Totally nonsense to generalize that quick-charging damages today's batteries. I do not purchase phones that do not have this capability. I have multiple Sony Z3s, Motorola Droid Turbos, Samsung S6s, iPhone 6s, and now a Note 5. For the past 3 years, I've used nothing but quick-chargers at home, office, in cars.

One key measurement that determines how much charge a phone can safely receive is the C-rate, or the rate at which a battery charges or discharges. The C-rate is the ratio between the charging rate and the capacity of the battery as measured in milliampere-hours (mAh).* All batteries in devices with the proper chipsets, rated at 1C, can handle this C-rate without getting damaged.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Does the battery go back to normal using regular charge? I have a S6 Edge and don't want the battery to get weaker especially since I just got it in April.
Nope mine didn't, I mean it could have just been me, but I definitely noticed a change, and it didn't seem to fix

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

One key measurement that determines how much charge a phone can safely receive is the C-rate, or the rate at which a battery charges or discharges. The C-rate is the ratio between the charging rate and the capacity of the battery as measured in milliampere-hours (mAh). All batteries in devices with the proper chipsets, rated at 1C, can handle this C-rate without getting damaged.

Absolutely correct. In addition, the battery endurance after a charge is not affected AT ALL by the method of charging (quick or low rate). The battery has a capacity, the means used to fill it up has no effect on how that battery will discharge the next day. MAYBE if you charge it at >2C everyday for a month it might cause a slightly quicker degradation. Maybe...

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Soo, I've had my phone since last Monday, and overall I'm pretty impressed. Here is my battery today. It's been off the charger since 7 a.m. I made two phone calls, checked email and browsed the net and Facebook. Where I work I have hardly any signal, but I keep the WiFi on all day. I have emails syncing in the background, a few background apps running. My screen brightness is about 30 percent (auto), used Bluetooth from work towards home.

However, I don't really know how to read this correctly. Is it the SOT that is supposed to be the 'good' thing, or the Time Remaining , ie. Average time or Last14m, or the Battery Life in general?
I see some people have very small SOT, but their Battery Time is very long. So, which is it?

Attachments

• 1440464387125.jpg
    1440464387125.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

shibosway

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
First full day discharge. I went another hour and 30 SOT after this down to 13%. I made 3 or 4 phone calls including being on hold for about 10 minutes, drove around in areas with bad reception using waze for an hour and kept my screen automatic for most of the day. Location was off until I used waze and WiFi for all but 3 hours when I was out running errands.

I've been using the wireless charger I got from Best Buy so I'm not fast charging. I'm thinking I'm only going to fast charge when I need it, which is to say I'll keep it in my bag for long days and 2A charge the rest of the time (wireless home and 2A in car)

I don't mind topping off throughout the day to be able to go 20+ hours and still have 25% left whenever I finally crash.

9540.jpg

9541.jpg

Note 5 !

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It's okay but not up to par with what my Sony Xperia Z2 gave me. I still dig this phone though.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... Definitely not the best battery. Note 4 with the removable batteries was very nice. As long as vzw allows Samsung Pay when it comes out I'll be happy

ThomaspHK

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Turning off VoLTE has dramatically improved battery drainage from Cell standby. From 30% (!!) to less than 1%. Seems to me there is an issue with the implementation of this function.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday I managed 17 hours off battery, nearly 4 hours screen on time before battery dropped to 7%. Better than my last phone but, not too impressive consider I see people getting 6-7 hours SOT :( No idea. Why my GSAM shows my Phone Radio takes 18% why ?

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
This cell standby is pissing me off

Yeah... idk what the deal is. Hope a fix is found soon.

I'm replacing my Note 5 with the 64GB version. 32 wasn't cutting it for plex sync, hopefully a new phone will magically fix my issue

Attachments

• 1440477803798.jpg
    1440477803798.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 98

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463