Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This whole foolish debate or adjustments to achieve better battery life is silly (like trying to figure out a roof water leak...patch here and there, and it still leaks), just to reconfirm why Samsung should have made a 4000+ mAh battery or swappable from the get go.

It is this way with every phone, with each larger battery. I can set things up on my phone to do and check every single thing and burn through a battery, no matter the size.

Every single phone has these threads and has forever. People want good battery life and you have to tweak it to get what info and use you want and battery you are happy with. When my phone is set up like I want, I never think about battery unless something weird happens all the sudden and one day NY battery drains like crazy.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My roommates envy the battery life I'm getting on my Note 5. They both own an iPhone 6. I disabled all the apps I'm not using as well as the carrier bloat. I also don't have my phone searching for wifi where there isn't any, or locations I do not need.

So far I'm getting a day's full of battery life with some to spare.

Let's face it, some people aren't going to get good battery life no matter what phone they use, because of the way they use their phone.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It is this way with every phone, with each larger battery. I can set things up on my phone to do and check every single thing and burn through a battery, no matter the size.

Every single phone has these threads and has forever. People want good battery life and you have to tweak it to get what info and use you want and battery you are happy with. When my phone is set up like I want, I never think about battery unless something weird happens all the sudden and one day NY battery drains like crazy.
I agree and you have been super generous and patient with assisting all of us. It's just that all of these concessions can add up. Takes the fun away.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

This is so TRUE! Show me one thread on any forum where there isn't a battery life thread with about half the crowd loving their battery life, and the other half complaining about it. It's about adjustments and how you choose to use your phone.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My best day so far, 6h+ sot, no wifi all on LTE. No special settings other then black wallpaper and keeping screen brightness down based on lighting conditions.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5 via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 2618.jpg
    2618.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 2617.jpg
    2617.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 160

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
There are many things that make a difference. My screen stays low, I have a great signal, I do not turn WiFi off but I have it set under advance to not stay on when my phone is asleep. If not, all kinds of apps send location.

I think that have WiFi turn off when phone sleeps will waste more battery. Every time you switch your screen on it has to power up and look for your network and connect. When you lock screen the opposite

Posted via the Android Central App

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it, some people aren't going to get good battery life no matter what phone they use, because of the way they use their phone.
Well, you can go all out on the Note 4 to your heart is content cuz you can swap batteries. Until battery technology greatly improves, swappable battery is the way to go. Quick charging, power saving, and bulky battery packs are just temporary and gimmicky solutions, imo. What's the point of having all these great features if you can't use them consistently?

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, you can go all out on the Note 4 to your heart is content cuz you can swap batteries. Until battery technology greatly improves, swapped battery is the way to go. Quick charging, power saving, and bulky battery packs are just temporary and gimmicky solutions, imo. What's the point of having all these great features if you can't use them consistently?

Once again, depends on the user. I had a Note 4 and never in a year that I owned it swapped batteries one time. I could do everything I needed with a full day's charge.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Sounds more like the battery limitation is dictating how you use your phone. Just saying...������

Nope. Battery life is not even something I think about. I was surprised this morning when I left my phone off the charger overnight after using it a full day, to realize I still had 38 percent left. It was a nice feeling, and proved I made the right choice for me.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Once again, depends on the user. I had a Note 4 and never in a year that I owned it swapped batteries one time. I could do everything I needed with a full day's charge.
Well, you can do "everything" on a feature phone with 3 days without charging. "Everything" is all relative. There maybe a time when you may need an extra 2 hours here and there, so a bigger battery or swappable one would come in handy. I was like you initially with my Note 4 (I now have a Note 5 too), and was puzzled why many folks got an extra battery. I thought they were stupid and lazy, ha. But boy, was I wrong. It changes how I use my phone completely...a peace of mind to boot too.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The extra battery thing was great for those who needed it. No denying that. I don't think it's laziness at all. Again, different users have different needs.

The Note 5 is a very power efficient phone I have found, but it's no longer a power user phone. Adjustments are simply going to have to be made if you want this phone. Otherwise, people should hold on to their Note 4s, and everyone is happy.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Again, different users have different needs.
I agree, but our needs do change overtime, unplanned. Having options, which Android phones are known to have, would address the unexpected.

With the Note 5, it is what it is. Reading all these posts on adjustments or concessions confirms that battery technology has not caught up to the rate needed.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree and you have been super generous and patient with assisting all of us. It's just that all of these concessions can add up. Takes the fun away.

This is what I suggest. Figure out what you have that is eating battery and if you can do anything about it. One thing I do, I delete old apps I don't use. Even not using the apps, some still report location.

Once you get everything like you want it, don't worry about the time on your battery. If it works for what you want and you get great life, great, if it isn't great life but works for you, great.

It's hard to compare battery life with each other because we all use phones on different ways, have different signals strengths, etc. I don't believe in ignoring battery life, tweak to get it acceptable and then don't worry about how much time you get vs someone else.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The extra battery thing was great for those who needed it. No denying that. I don't think it's laziness at all. Again, different users have different needs.

The Note 5 is a very power efficient phone I have found, but it's no longer a power user phone. Adjustments are simply going to have to be made if you want this phone. Otherwise, people should hold on to their Note 4s, and everyone is happy.

But now they have fast charging external batteries and you can charge it while in your hand. With this if you are stuck, you can charge for like 10 mins, put it on ultra power saving and get 24 hours out of that 10 mins.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
But now they have fast charging external batteries and you can charge it while in your hand. With this if you are stuck, you can charge for like 10 mins, put it on ultra power saving and get 24 hours out of that 10 mins.

I agree. Some people like carrying around extra batteries in their pocket in addition to their hardware. I never wanted to do that. I have my phone and my charger in my bad *IF* I need it. That's it, that's all I ever need.

My needs don't really change.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Some people like carrying around extra batteries in their pocket in addition to their hardware. I never wanted to do that. I have my phone and my charger in my bad *IF* I need it. That's it, that's all I ever need.

My needs don't really change.
How can you say your needs don't really change when technology changes every year? If true, wouldn't you still be using a phone from say 2 years ago? As for extra battery, the Note 4's is extremely portable, smaller and thinner than a wallet. Imo, much more efficient and convenient than to be tethered.

Attachments

• 1440606333992.jpg
    1440606333992.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 64