Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you think the 3 charging items you have mentioned are more convenient than the 1 swappable battery, I don't know what else to say. 😄

Getting back to topic though, hopefully an update would help to alleviate many of the battery concerns here of the Note 5.

I don't think an update is needed. The battery has been tested before it was released. It comes down to people making sure what their phone is doing.

Bad signal will drain your battery fast.

Apps you don't use even, will report location to Google and keep your phone from going into deep sleep if the WiFi setting doesn't turn your WiFi off when asleep and you don't turn off WiFi scanning.

Some people have things syncing more often than other people or more things. I have weather apps that are polling for information every 60 mins, but if there is an alert, it switches to every two minutes. So if we have bad weather my battery won't last as long.

I don't have Google keep location history or have Google Now tell me about traffic or other reminders.

This battery has already been shown to be better than the N4 battery, which is why I said.. If you had problems with your N4 battery and didn't change anything, you will have problems with your N5. Also with a new phone, sometimes you have changed settings on the old phone with apps and don't realize it and have to change those settings back on the new phone.

tfou79

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Right now I'm not getting any better battery life than I do with the G4. In fact, the G4 idles MUCH better than the Note 5 does.

I beg to differ. The Note 5 standby mode is as good as the Nexus 6 with Android M Preview. The Note 4 was bad at that

Posted via the Android Central App

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I would stop arguing with him. It seems that all he is doing is making himself feel better at this point. Let him have his removable batteries. It's either his way or not at all in his mind. I seem to remember him being this way at iMore as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I beg to differ. The Note 5 standby mode is as good as the Nexus 6 with Android M Preview. The Note 4 was bad at that

You can beg to differ all you want. I commented on my experience, which is obviously different from yours.

I do agree that the N6 on M idles very well.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You can beg to differ all you want. I commented on my experience, which is obviously different from yours.

I do agree that the N6 on M idles very well.

Try Doze ahead of time, well at least an app called the same that does the same...

Download this and just add to the Active list the ones that you want to notify you or keep running in the background for anything you may think of, then see if your standby time gets better, it should.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yirgalab.dzzz&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Ddoze+for+better&pcampaignid=APPU_1_A2HeVYKkCsW0edzggsgI

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Try Doze ahead of time, well at least an app called the same that does the same...

Download this and just add to the Active list the ones that you want to notify you or keep running in the background for anything you may think of, then see if your standby time gets better, it should.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yirgalab.dzzz&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Ddoze+for+better&pcampaignid=APPU_1_A2HeVYKkCsW0edzggsgI

Here's the thing. I don't have time to manage an app. I'm not saying that the idle life on the Note 5 is so bad that I can't deal with it (I can since I can charge pretty much all of the time on a wireless charger), but my point is that the Note 5 is not the be-all-end-all of battery life like previous Note devices seemingly have been. I had an S6 Edge before this and it was absolutely terrible on battery no matter what, so this is still a big improvement over that.

I have also learned that few people use a device in a similar manner as me. I have had a TON of devices over the past few years, and no matter what I read or who I talk to my battery life is also worse. If we were to set a bell curve for battery life, I would be the lowest score that gets lopped off for ruining the curve. :p

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing. I don't have time to manage an app. I'm not saying that the idle life on the Note 5 is so bad that I can't deal with it (I can since I can charge pretty much all of the time on a wireless charger), but my point is that the Note 5 is not the be-all-end-all of battery life like previous Note devices seemingly have been. I had an S6 Edge before this and it was absolutely terrible on battery no matter what, so this is still a big improvement over that.

I have also learned that few people use a device in a similar manner as me. I have had a TON of devices over the past few years, and no matter what I read or who I talk to my battery life is also worse. If we were to set a bell curve for battery life, I would be the lowest score that gets lopped off for ruining the curve. :p

I think I can also say I've had an incredible amount of phones in the past years myself, and being an IT manager of an office with 40 employees and 8 servers where I don't even have an assistant, yes, I'm a 1 man department, I think I can also say that I don't have time to manage apps, but installing this app and then select a couple of apps to keep Active that takes me about 2 minutes at most, won't make any difference in my life.

I respect you don't want to try it, but believe me, with a one time - couple of minutes of your time setup, you can easily identify if there is some specific app keeping awake your phone and even better, you can easily increase the battery life not just of the Note 5, but any other phones you may have in the future. It really worth the try.

If you decide to do it later, let us know the results.

Last edited:

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Here is where I am at today. Not too bad. Still don't know what is up with cell standby. I have shut off advanced calling. I have tried wiping cache and turn of WiFi. As well as every combination of off and on of those swtting s. Can't figure it out. I am using the verizon version

Attachments

• 278.jpg
    278.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 177
  • 279.jpg
    279.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 179

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I read on here that some people are experiencing bad Cell Standby, and wish there was a way to improve the battery from this issue. Well, I just came upon this thread : http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/572466-some-hints-better-battery-life.html

In this thread it does talk about Cell Standby, and ANT Plugins.

I was getting frustrated with how my battery kept draining every 1 minute or so, even with low brightness, disabled bloatware apps (or I thought they were from the Application Manager download tab) Wifi ON, 4g LTE on, background apps disabled from running, turning off location history. I could go on,but eventually I went into Application Manager and selected the 'All' tab. I went back over those bloatware apps, and sure enough they were STILL Enabled. NOW that I have disabled them, my battery has increased to another hour. It had 4 hours left, but after I found the solution, it went up to 5 hours. It's not draining slowly anymore. Yay!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
External battery charger....

I agree, back when I had the note 2 I would swap batteries (i had 4 of them) so that I never had to be tethered to a wall. It was annoying trying to charge all those batteries all the time, as well as taking off the case and back to swap batteries, I always felt I was going to break something one day. With my note 5 I'm getting 6+ hrs soc which is awesome to me, and I have 6 external battery bank chargers of different sizes, shapes and capacity to suit my needs should they arise. Which so far only usually happens when fishing in a very low cell reception area for several hours. So I'm still not tethered to a wall, if the need occurs I put whichever bank in my front pocket and have the wire plugged into the phone as I use it.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5 via the Android Central App

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
My first 48 hours look like this...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rather impressive thus far. Even more so, since I spent quite a while getting it setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-27-06-50-04.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-27-06-50-04.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Screenshot_2015-08-27-06-50-17.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-27-06-50-17.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 342

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I would stop arguing with him. It seems that all he is doing is making himself feel better at this point. Let him have his removable batteries. It's either his way or not at all in his mind. I seem to remember him being this way at iMore as well.

My apology, didn't mean to come across that way. Nothing personal. As I have mentioned, Kelly (and others) has been awesome with her suggestions. I also own the Note 4 and Note 5, and think the Note 5 is an awesome phone, just that to me, the battery life needs to be better without the need to make too many adjustments. My rant comes from frustration. As in many other phones, hopefully a fix will be out soon. Anyway, everyone is different, and I sincerely hope all Note 5 owners continue to enjoy their phone. :)

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My apology, didn't mean to come across that way. Nothing personal. As I have mentioned, Kelly (and others) has been awesome with her suggestions. I also own the Note 4 and Note 5, and think the Note 5 is an awesome phone, just that to me, the battery life needs to better without the need to make adjustments. My rant comes from frustration. As in many other phones, hopefully a fix will be out soon. Anyway, everyone is different, and I sincerely hope all Note 5 owners continue to enjoy their phone. :)

The thing to remember about Android, especially when coming from or using iPhone a lot.. Android is about customization. IPhone has a lot just set out of the box and you can't change some of the things that you can with Android, which is why many Android users love Android, for control.

My mom makes calls and plays Facebook games on her phone and doesn't even make many calls. Her phone doesn't have to be tweaked. She doesn't use the way most of us here do. We all have a lot of apps and use our phones for more than just calls, so with Android and doing that, you have to customize things.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Went to bed on 38% woke up 8 hours later on %17 thats not good when I closed out all my apps b4 bed

Nothing personal, but I am just wondering why people don't just plug in there phones overnight? I mean I understand 10 years ago when the phone use NiCad battery and they suffered from memory charging issues, but Li-ion actually do better when they are charged and kept over 40%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool