Note 5 Battery life thread

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Finally got back on here... seems I couldn't remember my password nor reset it. Anyway, new 64GB came and I've been very careful about installing apps. Here are the results with zero extra apps installed. Much better than before. Also, turns out I DID have advanced calling on, so that's not what was causing my drain.

Once I figure it out, I'll post it. I hope it's not Plex...

Attachments

• 1440688201190.jpg
    1440688201190.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1440688243170.jpg
    1440688243170.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 66

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have been using my note 5 since Tuesday when fedex delivered it, and so far everything is great except for the Battery life. Can anyone tell me is it normal for me to take the phone off of the charger at 3:15AM central time and by 11:40AM Central have 76% battery life remaining? If it is this is going back my iphone 6plus lasted me a full day by the end of the nite i would be around 60% remaining. See my screen shot attached I am not using anything to drain and I have been on wifi the entire time I had it which should yield better results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-27-11-34-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-27-11-34-17.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 66

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
My radio percentage is huge. Not sure how negatively it impacts battery, but very annoying to see. Wonder if my battery will be better if that is somehow lower.

Looking at you guys GSam screenshots even with higher time of radio percentage is below 10%. Not sure why mine is 50%

Screenshot_2015-08-27-09-14-39_zpsxh2szlwh.jpg

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
My radio percentage is huge. Not sure how negatively it impacts battery, but very annoying to see. Wonder if my battery will be better if that is somehow lower.

Looking at you guys GSam screenshots even with higher time of radio percentage is below 10%. Not sure why mine is 50%

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc429/m3lover1/Screenshot_2015-08-27-09-14-39_zpsxh2szlwh.jpg
I am going to download the app you are using to see what it shows and post a screen shot maybe mine is doing the same thing

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have been using my note 5 since Tuesday when fedex delivered it, and so far everything is great except for the Battery life. Can anyone tell me is it normal for me to take the phone off of the charger at 3:15AM central time and by 11:40AM Central have 76% battery life remaining? If it is this is going back my iphone 6plus lasted me a full day by the end of the nite i would be around 60% remaining. See my screen shot attached I am not using anything to drain and I have been on wifi the entire time I had it which should yield better results.

Disable bloatware, turn down your screen brightness, stop background apps from running, disable all ANT - plugins (Running and all - Application Manager). There are a few posts BACK that could list more for you.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but how good is your signal?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
8.5 hours..... at 23% usage and you are complaining? some people have really lofty goals. LOL

If everything stays the same you could run for 34 hours straight. I would say that is pretty outstanding.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Same thing happened to me. I only turned on the phone to check the battery and it dropped from 100% - 69%. Battery is abysmal. It may go back to the store and back to my iphone 6+.

Disable bloatware, turn down your screen brightness, stop background apps from running, disable all ANT - plugins (Running and all - Application Manager). There are a few posts BACK that could list more for you.

You shouldn't have to make so many changes on a brand new, top of the line, 4gb, octocore, etc phone. It's a shame you can't take the phone out of the box and not have the battery life deplete right before your eyes without doing any tasks. Note 4 Dev edition was bad too.

jephyboy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of making the jump to either Note 4 or 5. I'm not too worried about the battery life, but am a bit concerned about the degradation. When my S4's battery started to hold subpar charge (~1 year later), I simply bought a new battery and it worked like new again. I plan on keeping my next phone for a couple of years.

Any thoughts about the battery degradation?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I only turned on the phone to check the battery and it dropped from 100% - 69%. Battery is abysmal. It may go back to the store and back to my iphone 6+.

You shouldn't have to make so many changes on a brand new, top of the line, 4gb, octocore, etc phone. It's a shame you can't take the phone out of the box and not have the battery life deplete right before your eyes without doing any tasks. Note 4 Dev edition was bad too.

This is Android, not Apple, it is highly customizable, which is why it is Android. So yes, you do have to tweak settings you want just like with computers.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Umm.. Continuing to use the phone as you have been so far, puts you on track for almost 24 hours on a charge.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of making the jump to either Note 4 or 5. I'm not too worried about the battery life, but am a bit concerned about the degradation. When my S4's battery started to hold subpar charge (~1 year later), I simply bought a new battery and it worked like new again. I plan on keeping my next phone for a couple of years.

Any thoughts about the battery degradation?

I have heard that you can have your battery replaced for about $50 at a Samsung location. Is this true? If so, I'm not worried about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay here are my new battery stats using the gsam battery pro app. Can someone tell me if this is good or bad battery life mind you I got the device on the 27th. My complaint was at 3am the device was at 100% i took it off the charger and went to bed I woke up at 8am and it was down into the 80's and of course the new reading as of 2:47pm today all central time zone its at 67% to meet it doesn't seem good because as a note you would definetly use more than I have and in the past i never remember the note dropping so much in a span of 5hrs 3am-8am 20% with no one using it unless there are ghost playing with it while I sleep.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-27-14-44-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-27-14-44-11.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 87

Bianca Horkan

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
How can you say your needs don't really change when technology changes every year? If true, wouldn't you still be using a phone from say 2 years ago? As for extra battery, the Note 4's is extremely portable, smaller and thinner than a wallet. Imo, much more efficient and convenient than to be tethered.

I bought the extra battery and charger for my Note 4 when I knew I was going to Star Wars Celebration (back in April). I knew outlet space would be a hot commodity and plugging in when on the convention floor would be a rarity. So, I was thinking ahead. Carrying around the extra battery was a savior.

Standing in some of those insane lines, some times all I had to entertain myself was my phone. Of the 4 days at the convention, I swapped out the battery three times.

Since April, I've been keeping up with the extra battery and if I know I'm going to be out (a lot) I bring it with me.

I've also been playing Ingress since the end of June -- when I turn on the GPS/location it drains the battery faster. I turn it off when I'm not playing. So, it's nice to have an extra battery.

When I get the Note 5, I'll probably have to invest in a good power pack.