Note 5 Battery life thread

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
@nokia4life I don't think we can put too much resources into battery life, and the measurements of it. But, having said that, if I'm reading your chart correctly, you've had over a day of battery life, with 7 hours+ of screen time. I think that is very good.

Lastly, when a new device is purchased, it takes about two weeks to get a good battery reading.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
This is Android, not Apple, it is highly customizable, which is why it is Android. So yes, you do have to tweak settings you want just like with computers.

I've been with Android since the OG Droid. Matter of fact this year alone my phones were: S4, S5, Note 4 Dev Edition, Nexus 6, Moto watch, Samsung Gear S, and Note 5. Trust me I understand the custom-ability of both phones, well lack thereof on Apple LOL. I've rooted and added roms endlessly. One of the reasons I moved to Apple, I was tired of having to customize for Android to work right. I just expected better battery life with the N5.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Two things..

Are you using WiFi calling?

Do you have your WiFi to turn off when your phone screen is off?

How do I know if Wifi calling is on? second I did not know that you could turn wifi off if the screen is asleep I will change that setting now as I found that. One reason my wifi is high is that I have been working out of my home office so my phone is on my wifi signal vs cell had I gone into my office building to work.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Android since the OG Droid. Matter of fact this year alone my phones were: S4, S5, Note 4 Dev Edition, Nexus 6, Moto watch, Samsung Gear S, and Note 5. Trust me I understand the custom-ability of both phones, well lack thereof on Apple LOL. I've rooted and added roms endlessly. One of the reasons I moved to Apple, I was tired of having to customize for Android to work right. I just expected better battery life with the N5.

Customization and freedom of choice is why most people that use Android, use Android. My battery life has been good, but you also know that you have ro give it a few days to settle in and even if our phones were set up the same and we used them the same, our battery life could be different due to phone signal strength, and other issues, sometimes even carrier.

Having the ability to customize, also means we have to customize for what we want ;)

I've had to use an iPhone before, set it up in 5 mins, was wonderful. But.. I then spent countless hours trying to do in iPhone what I could do on Android with one tap, maybe two.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
This is Android, not Apple, it is highly customizable, which is why it is Android. So yes, you do have to tweak settings you want just like with computers.

Yes you're right Android is great for customizing and tweaking but that should be optional. You shouldn't HAVE to make all these adjustments just to get decent battery life. Especially on a top of the line flagship device. A device like the Note, which has always been aimed at power users and business professionals the battery should last at least a full day out of the box. You should only have to perform these tweaks if you want to extend it farther than that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes you're right Android is great for customizing and tweaking but that should be optional. You shouldn't HAVE to make all these adjustments just to get decent battery life. Especially on a top of the line flagship device. A device like the Note, which has always been aimed at power users and business professionals the battery should last at least a full day out of the box. You should only have to perform these tweaks if you want to extend it farther than that.

Well you don't until you add apps.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought the extra battery and charger for my Note 4 when I knew I was going to Star Wars Celebration (back in April). I knew outlet space would be a hot commodity and plugging in when on the convention floor would be a rarity. So, I was thinking ahead. Carrying around the extra battery was a savior.

Standing in some of those insane lines, some times all I had to entertain myself was my phone. Of the 4 days at the convention, I swapped out the battery three times.

Since April, I've been keeping up with the extra battery and if I know I'm going to be out (a lot) I bring it with me.

I've also been playing Ingress since the end of June -- when I turn on the GPS/location it drains the battery faster. I turn it off when I'm not playing. So, it's nice to have an extra battery.

When I get the Note 5, I'll probably have to invest in a good power pack.
Sadly, my experience is the same. I have mentioned this in another thread. I went to 6 Flags last weekend, brought my Note 5 and Note 4, with the intention of taking pics and videos. My Note 5 was down to 20-30% by noon, the Note 4, with an extra swappable battery lasted me until 10p. A battery pack wouldn't help much since I needed to be 100% right away, plus it wouldn't have been fun to lug these things on the go, from ride to ride. Also, my 64gb sd card was super handy.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
@Kelly Kearns It looks like the wiping of cache and reboot did it. Currently it is down at 5%. Will monitor tomorrow after a full charge and hope it stays the same

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

You forgot that Google has made some changes that has affected ALL Android devices since about 4 months, first, they removed Location Reporting, so now having Location History on, means that you have both services running in the background, and right now line of the main battery drainer as it pings your devices every few minutes and you can't stop it, just by turning Location History off.

I have a full thread about all this and a lot of more things on the S6 forum, and like I mentioned there, people need to figure it out that our devices comes with EVERYTHING on by default, dozens of Google apps and services that you may never use, then Samsung add dozens more and to make thing worse, then the carriers do the same, if you think you can leave everything as it comes by default and get great battery life, sorry, but not real unless you have a 3500mHa battery or greater and that just give you a little more time if you don't make some tweaks.

I created a thread here yesterday with a couple of those tweaks, I didn't add the Location History because I knew that I will get people saying exactly the same, that they shouldn't do this or that and with the S6 experience I gave up trying to argue about it, you do it if you want, if you don't then just return the phone.

For those of you that would like to enjoy a lot more this great device and don't have any issues making a couple of tweaks here and there to get the best battery life possible, check the thread I created on this forum yesterday, or go to the S6 forum and look for my thread, you'll see easily there as it's the one with the more posts, just an advise, in addition to what I suggested yesterday, I'd add that if you can turn Location off until you need it, use those quick toggles, it takes you a second to turn them off or on, but if you want your location on for other services, use the Power Saving Mode (WiFi and Cell signal only) until you need a pinpoint Location like in using Google maps, then just switch the mode back. You won't believe the amount of people that just have Location on just to have the Weather widget working, they don't realize that you can turn the current location option off and just enter manually your city or cities and it will do just the same but Saving a good amount of battery life in the process.

Again, like it was mentioned above, on this aspect, it's simply not fair to compare Android in general with iOS, as iOS controls every single aspect of those background apps and Android just love to have everything running in the background all the time, to be a fair comparisons, tweaks must be done and adding the Doze app and Auto Stop features on the 5.1.1 version it tweaks our phone to be more like what iOS do their stuff. On the next M release this Doze feature will be added to the core system and it will do the same from factory, but until then, this is a great help.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You forgot that Google has made some changes that has affected ALL Android devices since about 4 months, first, they removed Location Reporting, so now having Location History on, means that you have both services running in the background, and right now line of the main battery drainer as it pings your devices every few minutes and you can't stop it, just by turning Location History off.

I have a full thread about all this and a lot of more things on the S6 forum, and like I mentioned there, people need to figure it out that our devices comes with EVERYTHING on by default, dozens of Google apps and services that you may never use, then Samsung add dozens more and to make thing worse, then the carriers do the same, if you think you can leave everything as it comes by default and get great battery life, sorry, but not real unless you have a 3500mHa battery or greater and that just give you a little more time if you don't make some tweaks.

I created a thread here yesterday with a couple of those tweaks, I didn't add the Location History because I knew that I will get people saying exactly the same, that they shouldn't do this or that and with the S6 experience I gave up trying to argue about it, you do it if you want, if you don't then just return the phone.

For those of you that would like to enjoy a lot more this great device and don't have any issues making a couple of tweaks here and there to get the best battery life possible, check the thread I created on this forum yesterday, or go to the S6 forum and look for my thread, you'll see easily there as it's the one with the more posts, just an advise, in addition to what I suggested yesterday, I'd add that if you can turn Location off until you need it, use those quick toggles, it takes you a second to turn them off or on, but if you want your location on for other services, use the Power Saving Mode (WiFi and Cell signal only) until you need a pinpoint Location like in using Google maps, then just switch the mode back. You won't believe the amount of people that just have Location on just to have the Weather widget working, they don't realize that you can turn the current location option off and just enter manually your city or cities and it will do just the same but Saving a good amount of battery life in the process.

Again, like it was mentioned above, on this aspect, it's simply not fair to compare Android in general with iOS, add iOS controls every single aspect of those background apps and Android just love to have everything running in the background all the time, to be a fair comparisons, tweaks must be done and adding the Doze app and Auto Stop features on the 5.1.1 version it tweaks our phone to be more like what iOS do their stuff. On the next M release this Doze feature will be added to the core system and it will do the same from factory, but until then, this is a great help.

As an Ambassador, I would ask that you please reconsider and post that information here. No one needs to argue with you about it. You can post what you have found in your experience and everything might not work for all but all might find something that would work for them.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The wake lock app used ro be great at hunting down what is eating battery, but it changed and it might be since KitKat it wouldn't work without root. You can bypass that and hook it up to the computer, but it is very detailed to do. Some on the forums have done it though.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
@Kelly Kearns It looks like the wiping of cache and reboot did it. Currently it is down at 5%. Will monitor tomorrow after a full charge and hope it stays the same

Let me know if it starts back and I will track down someone that has a lot more knowledge and might can help more with that particular issue.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
As an Ambassador, I would ask that you please reconsider and post that information here. No one needs to argue with you about it. You can post what you have found in your experience and everything might not work for all but all might find something that would work for them.

OK, well I think that is easier to post a link to that thread as it contains hundreds of other posts that can be useful for Note 5 and Edge + plus users as the software and options in the 4 phones are basically the same.

Check the thread here, and check what it may applies to you and the ones you think you can live without, just read the logic behinds each of them, as there are things that you may think you need and you may really don't.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514137-adjustments-tips-tricks-maximize-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I get similar results from my Note 4, but I guess it is good that the Note 5 can manage similar results on a battery that is 220mAh less, but I wanted a huge jump.

Here is a recent run:
Over 12hours off charge
7h43m SOT
http://i.imgur.com/ZRCF4gL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/12Pif4N.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kdk5bld.jpg
Where do I go to view the Use Details and History Details? I go into my Battery icon in the settings and I don't see any icons I can select to view those two options

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that is good, you have already had 15 hours of battery time. If you doubled your SOT time, your time would drop some.

This is where the details button is on mine, under "Abnormal battery usage".

Attachments

• 1440731478565.jpg
    1440731478565.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 79

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781