Note 5 Battery life thread

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The wake lock app used ro be great at hunting down what is eating battery, but it changed and it might be since KitKat it wouldn't work without root. You can bypass that and hook it up to the computer, but it is very detailed to do. Some on the forums have done it though.
The longest time is setting up adb. Otherwise, should just take about 2 minutes you just need to use 3 adb commands

Adb devices
Adb tcpip 5555
Adb kill-server

There are detailed instructions here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...71286-wakelock-detector-no-root-required.html

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

SirDevan

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Note 5 for about a week now. I have never had a Note before, my previous phones were (Samsung 5, Samsung 3 and iPhone 3). My wife has an iPhone 6 she got the same time as me and her battery life is no better than her iPhone 5 and I am going to have to get her a Mophie (she is a heavy user obviously).

With that said, I also will need to get one for my Note. I was hoping not as a friend of mine has a Note 3 and his works all day just fine.

The first day it was great, I was like this is awesome! But once I loaded everything on it and began using it productively it dropped fast. Now, it is much better than my S5. My S5 WITH Mophie would barely make it to bed time, without it I would get to about 3pm before it was dead if I didn't charge it.

The Note 5 with heavy usage gets me through the day usually, but last night for example it hit the 15% mark at around 7pm. I did notice when it set up my email (using auto setup) it was checking the pop account way too much (was 40% of battery usage) when I changed it to imap 2 days ago and every 15 minutes that helped a lot.

So, yes it is a huge improvement over the S5, but I was hoping that it would last much longer, because at this rate, either I have to lower my usage, darken the screen to where it's almost annoying or get a Mophie within the next 6 months. I know it will only get worse.

So, for my first experience having a Note? It's ok, not sure I would get another one, but then again I need to give it a bit more than a weeks time. In fairness, my wife's iPhone 6 didn't make me feel any better.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Would be nice to not have to worry about the battery. I get quite a bit of downtime at work. So I'm using the phone quite a bit. Find myself always checking the battery percentage.

Ordered a spare fast charger and thinking about pulling the trigger on the 12000mah Qualcomm Certified fast portable charger/battery as well. At least the battery does charge fast. I'll give it that.

Been using doze since yesterday. Haven't noticed any difference.

danbobbbb

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
It's insane how much better the battery life is on the Note 5 versus the s6. I'm getting double easily. My s6 is going straight to craigslist. So disappointed in it. Note 5, so impressed. Pretty weird.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Mahmoud52

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Battery life is awesome not having any issues actually I would go far enough to say it's better then my note 4 I wonder if it had something to do with the lollipop 5.1 on the note 4 that killed the battery life and messed up the phone now that the note 5 has 5.1.1 android it's working great.

Posted via the Android Central App

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I watched a YouTube video that was an hour long and when I started my battery was at like 96% and when I got done it was a 82% does that seem about right?

I had WiFi off and was watching it on lte, location was on it had forgot to turn it off I feel location kills my battery faster.

What do you guys think is that about normal battery drains for that long ago video?
I like this phone but I'm really considering returning it because battery seems it last way shorter than my Note 4 ,tmob doesn't have units to exchange so I'd have to returned it before the 14 days are up .

specularius

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Are you even using the phone lol?
What did you do to your phone to achieve this?

I have not done anything special other than disable all the bloat that was obvious. I use my phone when I need it. I work at a desk all day so I only field a few calls per day on the Note 5. The first day I was at the DR's office that morning so I used it a lot then but the next two days was my normal usage. My previous S5 Active would require a charge every night.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine today after using the debloater on the play store. I'll have a more strenuous day tomorrow. I used the non root version of wakelock detector and found the main culprit of the large android system usage was Google music so I disabled that and am now using the Samsung native music player. //images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/25/e1e1b541fac24bad5b0e83f95fef87dc.jpg//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/25/1ebf44fe0f52f440022692ebea4d1ddc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You really need to run it on lte for most of us to make comparisons.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
To get a fair comparison I need to see results of someone who syncs everything, runs on lte, and leaves wifi and bluetooth on all the time. I leave bluetooth on for gear2 and car and wifi on for better gps.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I watched a YouTube video that was an hour long and when I started my battery was at like 96% and when I got done it was a 82% does that seem about right?

I'd say an hour of lte video watching and losing 14% is pretty good.

You could have watched YouTube for nearly another 6 hours over lte.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I'd say an hour of lte video watching and losing 14% is pretty good.

You could have watched YouTube for nearly another 6 hours over lte.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I keep on measuring this phone with my notes 4 on kitkat which had the best battery life I've ever experienced on an Android phone, and sometimes I feel like me liking this phone, is keeping me in denial about the just OK battery life lol.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
To get a fair comparison I need to see results of someone who syncs everything, runs on lte, and leaves wifi and bluetooth on all the time. I leave bluetooth on for gear2 and car and wifi on for better gps.

That is the thing about battery threads.. You can't compare your battery to someone else. This goes back to what I said several pages ago..

Battery usage is relative and we all use our phones on different ways, don't get hung up on comparing your battery to another battery. It can drive you nuts.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I use a gear 2 neo and wifi on all day and gps a lot for sales appointments. During the weekend when I wasn't using the phone I got 6 and 6.5 hours of screen on time. Yesterday I got 5 hours of screen on time but I was on the phone quite a bit.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
That is the thing about battery threads.. You can't compare your battery to someone else. This goes back to what I said several pages ago..

Battery usage is relative and we all use our phones on different ways, don't get hung up on comparing your battery to another battery. It can drive you nuts.

Don't you know that if you are in this thread you are already pretty dam nutz? hahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674