Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Im calling BS on Gsam battery pro. It shows screen on 2h 45 mins when i know for a fact its less than 2 hours. My batery screen on time under settings is 1 hour 25 mins. Where does gsam get this information?

Posted via the Android Central App

My GSam Battery Pro SOT matches my phone SOT. Make sure your "since time" tapping the triangle at the bottom, shows "since last full charge".

Trekman27

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Just got my Note 5 yesterday and along with it came a free wireless charger. So when I went to bed, battery was at maybe 70% approx. I put it on the wireless charger overnight, this morning the battery was at 31% and looking at the usage, mostly the Cell Standby. While on the charger? This does not seem right! Any suggestions? Thanks ...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Note 5 yesterday and along with it came a free wireless charger. So when I went to bed, battery was at maybe 70% approx. I put it on the wireless charger overnight, this morning the battery was at 31% and looking at the usage, mostly the Cell Standby. While on the charger? This does not seem right! Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Did you confirm prior to going to bed, that it was in fact charging?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Do you have VoLTE or advanced calling turned on?

Also are you sure. It was on the charger good or the charger is working?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok so the Note 5 is going back due to very poor battery. I literally watch the battery percent sink like a tank in water. Since going back to my M9 I notice that there is a strong variation in signal strength capabilities between the 2 handsets. I work in an office with very bad signal so the note 5 would drain profusely. I would end an 8 hour shift from 100 to 42 easily. So I downloaded a signal strength app and the Note 5 maintained a very poor signal of around 114 dbms. Im at work right now testing the M9 with the same application and I am averaging 104 dbms. The Note 5 I had was ATT but I used it on Cricket which shouldn't matter because both companies use the same towers. Network strength is one of the main things that can kill battery on any phone so I think Samsungs SOC maybe the reason many folks are complaining. 10dms difference in signal is huge in terms of reception. I really hate to return the device because Samsung finally produced a very fluid and non laggy experience. Maybe a software update will fix it but I can't risk 700 bones to find out.

I always had issue with subpar signal. When I switched to T-Mobile that hadn't been an issue. The problem with AT&T was my LTE phones would connect to LTE towers that were too far away rather than non-LTE towers that were much closer.

There isn't a weak phone radio on this phone. You could have one with an issue, but the minute I switched to LTE, I had issues with phone signal for years.

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
No its a total nonsense it shows double screen time. Now at 5 hours. I set it to show since i last unplugged it thats when it was 100%. If i set since last full charge it shows almost 7 hours SOT. Look at screens taken at the samw time. Anyone knows what is going on?

Attachments

• 292.jpg
    292.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 293.jpg
    293.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 97

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Standby drain seems to be fix. I have installed most of my apps at this point. I'm using that Doze app and it seems to be working wonders. I don't know why cell standby still shows connection time of almost 7 hours during a 9 hour period

Attachments

• 1440850701757.jpg
    1440850701757.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 1440850711806.jpg
    1440850711806.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 60

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No its a total nonsense it shows double screen time. Now at 5 hours. I set it to show since i last unplugged it thats when it was 100%. If i set since last full charge it shows almost 7 hours SOT. Look at screens taken at the samw time. Anyone knows what is going on?

No, something on the preferences are not correct or you need to clear the data and cache and start over we the GSam, but it needs ro match your phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Standby drain seems to be fix. I have installed most of my apps at this point. I'm using that Doze app and it seems to be working wonders. I don't know why cell standby still shows connection time of almost 7 hours during a 9 hour period

You turned off advanced calling and did a cache wipe after getting everything installed again?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Your signal is very low, that will eat your battery and could have to do with the stand by.

Where is that signal? Home or work?

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Really dont want another facotry reset. Got all the settings and apps installed. Batelly life is okay just over 4 hours sot on full charge

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Tap on your dialer, choose more, top right, should be here. I think Verizon calls it Advanced Calling and I think AT&T calls it VoLTE.

Attachments

• 1440851799272.jpg
    1440851799272.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 56

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey Iron try the settings for best battery life for the S6. Make sure you go into your account settings and disable the aspects of your Google account you don't use and disable or uninstall the bloatware that you don't use.

For instance my twitter and Facebook doesn't have to keep running and syncing so I turn those off (don't disable just turn off sync). When you open them they automatically update anyway. Same goes for many other apps.

I leave google now on and leave optimal location, Bluetooth and WI fi on too and I'm getting 19 hours with about 3.5 hours of on screen time even with all that stuff enabled but the trick on Android is figuring out what you need to sync and that's it.

Ok so I am new coming back to Android from Apple. Last time I had Android it was Galaxy Note 3. Been well over a year and I actually dumped my iPhone 6 Plus for this.

My biggest beef is battery. I see all the tests and great battery and in my entire previous time using Galaxy devices I rarely get close to what people say they get. If I get 8-9 hours I'm lucky.

Typically I use auto brightness and then spend heavy use on my email applications, texting in particular.

I do use Facebook frequently. Twitter occasionally and once in a while audible. No games but I do use Chrome for certain sites here and there.

I consider myself a heavy user like some who do same as I do.

I'm curious though how to shut off Facebook and Twitter sync. I went into Facebook settings and while I don't get notifications I see the little number all the time telling me friends updates which I don't want.

If I could get 12 hours with this I'd be thrilled.

For reference my iPhone 6 Plus gave me 15 hours under same conditions which was it's single best feature. Loved the battery on it. Outside of that I wanted the Note 5 features.

Any suggestions on undoing Facebook updates? . Think that might be one of issues

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Your signal is very low, that will eat your battery and could have to do with the stand by.

Where is that signal? Home or work?

I did not. I'll do the cache wipe now but keep advanced calling on, cause I actually use it. That signal is my bedroom. If the battery maintains like this, or even gets better I will be happy

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did not. I'll do the cache wipe now but keep advanced calling on, cause I actually use it. That signal is my bedroom. If the battery maintains like this, or even gets better I will be happy

That signal will eat your battery. Have you thought about getting a signal booster from Verizon?

Oh Verizon can't talk and use data at the same time without this. That has never even an issue for me with AT&T or T-Mobile. Doing some checking a low signal will ramp the standby up and that signal will chew up a lot of battery.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually moving from rural Wisconsin to Colorado Springs in 3 weeks so I'll wait and see how the signal is there, but I do own a signal booster (1x only).

My Note 2, 3, and 4 USED to do data and calls at the same time, but they changed it for some reason on the Note 5. I also use the video calling, I find it more reliable than hangouts or skype.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually moving from rural Wisconsin to Colorado Springs in 3 weeks so I'll wait and see how the signal is there, but I do own a signal booster (1x only).

My Note 2, 3, and 4 USED to do data and calls at the same time, but they changed it for some reason on the Note 5. I also use the video calling, I find it more reliable than hangouts or skype.

Well if my signal were bad there, I would ask them for a signal booster also. Also many have free cancellations if you move a certain distance and have bad signal and anyone will by out your contract these days. I did that with T-Mobile, got a much cheaper bill, new phone and much better signal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar