Note 5 Battery life thread

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I had previously disabled all apps that were obvious but I forgot to wipe the partition cache. Frequently did that on my Note 3 but didn't think of it yet as I've only had the Note 5 a couple days now. After doing so the battery life / standby is MUCH improved. Night and day difference. Hooray! So much better now. I would have wiped the cache eventually but so glad I was reminded in posts to do so! Cool.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious how everyone's battery life will be this time next year, if they keep their phones that long.

from my old nexus 5

I suspect just fine. I know some folks can't wait for there to be some big epidemic with the batteries in Samsung's latest device's. Not sure why, but I suspect because the battery is now sealed.

The fact is, battery hardware and technology today is more advanced versus years ago. Batt's just are not failing or severely degrading in a year's time.

Should something happen to my Note 5 battery a year from now, I suppose I'll worry about it then. I don't have batt issues now with the Note 5 nor do I expect them later. I don't sit around worrying about what potentially could and more likely won't happen in a year's time. In the larger universe something like this is just not that important.

Everyone who has the Note 5 enjoy it, use it hard, but understand comparing battery life amongst one another is a pointless exercise. Unless everyones device is set up identical and being used the exact way, then you cant compare notes with any degree of accuracy. Just enjoy your devices and USE THE CHARGER whenever you need to. Does it really matter if someone can get 2 days on batt and someone else can only get 15 hours? It really shouldnt.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone Thursday night. Been tweaking and setting it up. Took it off the charger last night at around 9pm my time and had somewhat normal use outside from not streaming Spotify or At Bat while driving like I usually do. I think I'm on the right track with things. I don't have too much on-screen time with normal but I'd like to go from getting 1:45 or so to about 3 or 4 like you guys are getting. I still think it seems relatively healthy and hopefully it settles in nicely.

Any problem areas stand out to you guys? Let me know if I should tweak anything. I have location on wifi network only or whatever that setting is and Google Now on. I slept from 3am to about 10am too and my battery drained like 5% or something. I'm on wifi at home but just regular mobile network while I was out last night and just a bit today.

Screenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-11.jpgScreenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-29.jpgScreenshot_2015-08-29-17-16-52.jpgScreenshot_2015-08-29-17-17-01.jpg

Last edited:

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone Thursday night. Been tweaking and setting it up. Took it off the charger last night at around 9pm my time and had somewhat normal use outside from streaming Spotify or At Bat while driving. I think I'm on the right track with things. I don't have too much on-screen time with normal but I'd like to go from getting 1:45 or so to about 3 or 4 like you guys are getting. I still think it seems relatively healthy and hopefully it settles in nicely.

Any problem areas stand out to you guys? Let me know if I should tweak anything. I have location on wifi network only or whatever that setting is and Google Now on. I slept from 3am to about 10am too and my battery drained like 5% or something. I'm on wifi at home but just regular mobile network while I was out last night and just a bit today.

View attachment 193902View attachment 193903View attachment 193904View attachment 193905

I have no idea how you guys get that much. I've never come close. Then again I use this for work and get 25-30 emails each day or more and use Facebook frequently.

I also use Google Now as I really like what it does so GPS is enabled. Not sure if this makes a difference or not. Meaning I have it enabled for use of the apps.

One thing I liked about iPhone 6+ was you could tell GPS or location to use apps in various states. So I never had it set to on unless the app was in use. Not sure if that is possible in this case.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Really dont want another facotry reset. Got all the settings and apps installed. Batelly life is okay just over 4 hours sot on full charge

Posted via the Android Central App
Just wanted to try to help you. You don't have to do a factory reset. You can reset the gsam stuff in the gsam app. Makes it kind of start over. I'm not sure where it is without looking but it's in there. You could also probably just uninstall it and reinstall .

reidcc

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Very light use over 4 days, but looks like standby time is crazy. 62 hrs with 3 1/2 hrs sot.

Location off, I sync mail myself, and a few other tweaks in this thread.
Chris

Attachments

• 3927.jpg
    3927.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 3928.jpg
    3928.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 3929.jpg
    3929.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 133

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I have had my phone disconnected since 5:53 am pacífic time,and it is now 6:23 pm do these seem like good battery stats?

I have used it fairly, but not as heavy as when I'm at work.

Attachments

• 497.jpg
    497.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 130

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean reinstall? What did you do? Who's your carrier
So if you ever used an iPhone there is an option in iTunes to download a NEW copy of ios and then install it. There is an option to do the same in Smart sync or if that doesn't work Samsung Kies. You load up smartsync, go to tools then firmware upgrade and initialization. You will need your model number and serial number. It will download a completely new copy of the note software and have you put your phone into recovery mode. It will then install the new software erasing everything.

There is a weird line between hardware and software. Sometimes the software takes better than before and things run better.

Sent from my smexy Note 5

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Expanding: right now I have Verizon VOLTE on and I have ZERO cell standby drain. The only thing I can think of is Google now which I have NOT enabled.

Sent from my smexy Note 5

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
This is what I get it is now at 13% and has been disconnected since 5:53AM Pacific Time and it is now 7:26PM with pretty good use.

Attachments

• 601.jpg
    601.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 79

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
One thing I liked about iPhone 6+ was you could tell GPS or location to use apps in various states. So I never had it set to on unless the app was in use. Not sure if that is possible in this case.

Would be nice if we had the option. Funny how android is supposed to be more open and customizable...

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Does Wi-Fi affect standby? Honest question cause I was home from the time I took the phone off the charger at 7:15ish am and was on Wi-Fi till I left the house at 4:45 to officiate a high school football game. Met my crew around 5 with 14% standby time. From 4:45 to 11 my phone has been on 4G. Here are some screen shots. I took a screen shot at halftime.

Attachments

• 1440909285142.jpg
    1440909285142.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1440909330199.jpg
    1440909330199.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 1440909353029.jpg
    1440909353029.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 1440909491219.jpg
    1440909491219.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 72

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Does Wi-Fi affect standby? Honest question cause I was home from the time I took the phone off the charger at 7:15ish am and was on Wi-Fi till I left the house at 4:45 to officiate a high school football game. Met my crew around 5 with 14% standby time. From 4:45 to 11 my phone has been on 4G. Here are some screen shots. I took a screen shot at halftime.
WiFi usually improves standby if you have poor cell signal. But cell stand by is a known issue in Android that Google hasn't fixed yet. Apparently carries over for some other phones, although I've never personally experienced it on my Note 4

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Check in the S6 forum a thread I created back in April about Tips and Tweaks to get better battery life on the S6 and S6 edge. It's kind of funny to see same things happening to the Note 5 and S6 edge plus, that tells you how similar they are , and because of that most if not all of what has been discussed there can be applied with the new devices.

Reading your issue immediately reminded me of a couple of things, like the Wifi always scanning option, WiFi calling and even the WiFi frequency you may be using, some reported (including me) that when using 5 Ghz connection there was unusual drain and when 2.4ghz was used there wasn't. So as you can see I'd suggest to take a look at that thread and see, but I know that there are a couple of things that may help you and others with this and other battery issues.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I learned about the Doze app here in this thread. Went to try it out on my current LG G2 and the app wanted to create a VPN. My spidey-senses went up and I backed out.

Aren't there significant security issues when you allow an app (and any number of unknown people) to have VPN access to your phone?

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I can't seem to get rid of cell standby I even am using doze now and can't get it to go away.

giftedmd

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
For those getting cell standby battery drain, the first thing to do is disable voice over lte. It has a different name on different carriers so google it but can you can usually get to it in dialer settings. The next is to disable WiFi calling if its available. Those are two things that always cause it and are bugs Google has to fix. Weak signal is the other.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ebm2010

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
For those getting cell standby battery drain, the first thing to do is disable voice over lte. It has a different name on different carriers so google it but can you can usually get to it in dialer settings. The next is to disable WiFi calling if its available. Those are two things that always cause it and are bugs Google has to fix. Weak signal is the other.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I disabled it and I see no option for WIFI calling(I have verizon).

11912891_10207327973307864_1412656212_n.jpg

I think that I have 5 days left(out of the 14 to return it), and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1). Having a weak signal obviously interferes with cell standby and my signal is poor. However, does turning off 4g negate that issue? As you can see in the above photo, I turned off mobile data and cell standby was still draining my battery.

2). Do you think it's the phone that is messed up or a software issue? I see other people post here and they don't have that issue at all. Should I exchange my phone?

BTW, the red on that graph isn't an indicator regarding my connection. It's red because my battery was at 8%

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1