Note 5 Battery life thread

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I have tried pretty much everything everyone has said to do. I have even reset my phone to factory.

Posted via the Android Central App

If you reset your phone to factory, did you go back and disable all that bloatware again? My phone was draining really fast. I disabled all I could figure out for sure. Turned off wifi calling. Turned off Voice over LTE. Wiped the partition cache. Since then the phone is acting more like my Note 3 and not dropping so much on standby or during use.

giftedmd

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I disabled it and I see no option for WIFI calling(I have verizon).

View attachment 193981

I think that I have 5 days left(out of the 14 to return it), and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1). Having a weak signal obviously interferes with cell standby and my signal is poor. However, does turning off 4g negate that issue? As you can see in the above photo, I turned off mobile data and cell standby was still draining my battery.

2). Do you think it's the phone that is messed up or a software issue? I see other people post here and they don't have that issue at all. Should I exchange my phone?

BTW, the red on that graph isn't an indicator regarding my connection. It's red because my battery was at 8%
Cell standby is because of the cellular RADIO (the bug in lollipop is due to wifi and how it handles VOIP hence the problem with voice over lte and WiFi calling) , not data so disabling data won't have an effect. Sounds like your problem is poor signal which you can't do anything about unless you put the phone in airplane mode or get a signal boosting device like a microcell. WiFi calling is actually good for me at work where I get poor signal despite the cell standby drain it causes. I put phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi and WiFi calling and I can make calls and send texts from places I never got signal before. Nothing drains a phone faster than when its trying to fight to hang on to a poor signal. Not sure when verizon wifi calling will be activated. I'm on t mobile.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ebm2010

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Cell standby is because of the cellular RADIO (the bug in lollipop is due to wifi and how it handles VOIP hence the problem with voice over lte and WiFi calling) , not data so disabling data won't have an effect. Sounds like your problem is poor signal which you can't do anything about unless you put the phone in airplane mode or get a signal boosting device like a microcell. WiFi calling is actually good for me at work where I get poor signal despite the cell standby drain it causes. I put phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi and WiFi calling and I can make calls and send texts from places I never got signal before. Nothing drains a phone faster than when its trying to fight to hang on to a poor signal. Not sure when verizon wifi calling will be activated. I'm on t mobile.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yeah, I contacted verizon and they told me that my area has an extremely poor signal(Long Island's signal is only good when you are on major roads usually) so they told me that they would look into it to try to fix it and they'd report back to me within 3-5 business days.

Why didn't this ever happen with my galaxy s4 though? I had poor signal on that and the standby rarely went above 3-5%

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I contacted verizon and they told me that my area has an extremely poor signal(Long Island's signal is only good when you are on major roads usually) so they told me that they would look into it to try to fix it and they'd report back to me within 3-5 business days.

Why didn't this ever happen with my galaxy s4 though? I had poor signal on that and the standby rarely went above 3-5%

Did you ask them for a free signal booster? If customer service won't do it, I would check with a store manager.

ebm2010

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Did you ask them for a free signal booster? If customer service won't do it, I would check with a store manager.

I didn't ask them yet but if verizon can't fix the signal problem on long island, then I may have to do that because I rarely get above 1-2 bars unless I am on the long island expressway or another major long island road.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't ask them yet but if verizon can't fix the signal problem on long island, then I may have to do that because I rarely get above 1-2 bars unless I am on the long island expressway or another major long island road.

Well if they offer it free, you can get it and just send it back of they get the issue fixed, if they require it to be returned. T-Mobile does, but AT&T didn't. AT&T didn't offer them free, but some stores would give them free. T-Mobile gives them free to everyone.

ebm2010

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Well if they offer it free, you can get it and just send it back of they get the issue fixed, if they require it to be returned. T-Mobile does, but AT&T didn't. AT&T didn't offer them free, but some stores would give them free. T-Mobile gives them free to everyone.

I'll have to look into that but is there any reason as to why the cell standby didn't drain this much on my galaxy s4?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you because this is bothering me a lot. I love my note 5.... I just can't stand the battery standby thing

OK, have you thought about taking the phone back to Verizon, having them switch it out with another new one and see if the problem persists on the new one?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are in a very weak signal area , you can enable upsm which should shut off data when the screen is off. You can also do this by Tasker and other third party apps. There are also apps that would let you turn on the data at certain intervals like juice defender. I am not a fan of juice defender, but it could be useful in very weak signal areas if set up right

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
If you are in a very weak signal area , you can enable upsm which should shut off data when the screen is off. You can also do this by Tasker and other third party apps. There are also apps that would let you turn on the data at certain intervals like juice defender. I am not a fan of juice defender, but it could be useful in very weak signal areas if set up right

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

What about why the S4 had low standby but the N5 has high standby. Do you know of a reason it would be different for those two phones?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What about why the S4 had low standby but the N5 has high standby. Do you know of a reason it would be different for those two phones?

Was the S4 on Lollipop or Kit Kat, there is a huge difference after Lollipop was introduced, a lot of battery drain that wasn't there before, and Standby is one of those. But not just Lollipop, my S6 Edge was very good on Standby on 5.0.2, once 5.1.1 was installed it has decreased, not a lot but noticeable, still can't find the reason why.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did turn it off. I did a factory reset too and literally everything else people said to do and nothing has worked so far.

At this point, all I know to tell you is to return it where you bought it and have them switch it out and try a new one. I'm sorry, that is all I know to tell you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech