Note 5 Battery life thread

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What about why the S4 had low standby but the N5 has high standby. Do you know of a reason it would be different for those two phones?

Not sure why, but there some differences. The Verizon note 5 supports pcs lte, the Verizon s4 doesn't. Also, the s4 had 2 cellular paths. The Note 5 had only one. The s4 had the baseband chip integrated into the soc, both being qualcomm. The Note 5 has a Exynos cpu with a discrete baseband processor.

It could also be something else. The Note 5 and s6e are very similar and the note 5 has 15% larger battery. Yet in my usage, the note 5 gets 50% better battery life, if not more.

Disabling volte and changing the mode to lte/cdma are the only things that I can think of, without root.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

ebm2010

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I did two speed tests under the 4g network.

11920343_10207330607173709_2114536235_n.jpg

11919295_10207330610293787_756617566_n.jpg

Could this be what is affecting my cell standby? It didn't affect the battery on the GS4 but my signal is pretty terrible.

Regardless, I am going to go to the verizon store tomorrow and I'll either order a new phone or see if I can test out a signal booster

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, low signal strength will drain battery very fast. I was in a seminar for three days last week, signal in the building was bad (1 bar to none usually). On first day of seminar I went from 98% to 53% in 8 hours with no phone use during that time. Days two and three I switched to airplane mode while in the building and lost 2 to 3% the entire time.

zazusmc03

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch Tuesday from the iPhone 5s and I'm in love with the battery life on this beast. I'm on my phone all day at work when it's slow and I had to plug my iPhone in by 2 because of horrible battery life. With this phone I sit on it all day at work and don't have to worry about charging it at all!!

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Attached is my screen. I still don't get anywhere near what everyone else is getting. I don't know why my Alarm clock is coming up as using battery because I only use it when it's on the wireless charging pad.

Outside of that I'm curious if anyone that sees this sees something unusual. And like others my connection here at home is almost always 3G. I don't get good signal here.

What pisses me off is with my IPhone 6+ it had great reception due to fact I believe they have more radios in their phones or more bands.

Edit. Can't attach my screen. I have 9 hours 38 min on battery with 20% left.

Android System 25%
Screen 13%
Cell Standby 8%

Those are my top ones.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why, but there some differences. The Verizon note 5 supports pcs lte, the Verizon s4 doesn't. Also, the s4 had 2 cellular paths. The Note 5 had only one. The s4 had the baseband chip integrated into the soc, both being qualcomm. The Note 5 has a Exynos cpu with a discrete baseband processor.

It could also be something else. The Note 5 and s6e are very similar and the note 5 has 15% larger battery. Yet in my usage, the note 5 gets 50% better battery life, if not more.

Disabling volte and changing the mode to lte/cdma are the only things that I can think of, without root.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Thanks! Thus is the type info I was looking for.

I did two speed tests under the 4g network.

Could this be what is affecting my cell standby? It didn't affect the battery on the GS4 but my signal is pretty terrible.

Regardless, I am going to go to the verizon store tomorrow and I'll either order a new phone or see if I can test out a signal booster

With what dpham00 said above, I think the signal booster is the way to go. Your signal is very bad. I had a similar issue when LTE phones came out and I expected them to have a much better signal than my non LTE phone, which was decent or more. That was not the case.

Better phone, better radio, right? There was much more involved than just the radio.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Something I noticed. Cell Standby is third on battery usage at 10% Is that normal? All day I've had a steady signal but mostly 3G since I'm on border of 4g.

But when I clicked on on it standby was 10 37 min which is where my battery unplugged is at right now.

2nd on that is Time without Signal which was 0. I take it that is good.

The 3rd item though says Total Connection Time 2 hours 38 min but I don't get that part. Does that mean that's what data was used by my cell because I have WiFi on all the time and it's a strong signal. I don't have VOIP and I didn't get any calls today or call anyone. What would that be?

Love this device but having switched from iPhone 6+ I never had to worry about battery on that phone. I never changed many settings or Had to get certain apps to ensure I'd have good battery.

I got 15-18 hours with pretty heavy usage and I'm doing nothing different on this phone and getting 8-10 and that's with using apps to try and get battery extended. So frustrating.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Still don't understand why instagram is showing up on my battery usage when I haven't opened the app today. Again my standby still sucks

Attachments

• 1440976256185.jpg
    1440976256185.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 48

Scribbly-One

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same stand by issues as everyone else, have all the changes and things turned off that have been suggested and have cleared cache but it is still at the top of my list day after day.....but battery is still pretty good, been averaging 28 hours with 4.5 hrs of SOT

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Something I noticed. Cell Standby is third on battery usage at 10% Is that normal? All day I've had a steady signal but mostly 3G since I'm on border of 4g.

But when I clicked on on it standby was 10 37 min which is where my battery unplugged is at right now.

2nd on that is Time without Signal which was 0. I take it that is good.

The 3rd item though says Total Connection Time 2 hours 38 min but I don't get that part. Does that mean that's what data was used by my cell because I have WiFi on all the time and it's a strong signal. I don't have VOIP and I didn't get any calls today or call anyone. What would that be?

Love this device but having switched from iPhone 6+ I never had to worry about battery on that phone. I never changed many settings or Had to get certain apps to ensure I'd have good battery.

I got 15-18 hours with pretty heavy usage and I'm doing nothing different on this phone and getting 8-10 and that's with using apps to try and get battery extended. So frustrating.

Can you post your battery page and let me look?

I know especially for iPhone users it sounds and seems just like you are saying, but it really isn't.

Yeah you are going to tweak things, some people more than others. Don't get hung up on how many hours though, we all want our battery to last for what we need. Don't get me wrong, we would all love a battery that lasts a week, but you can get too worried about numbers and time. I've seen it happen before. I've gotten 9 hours screen time and 18 hours on a charge at the same time and others wanted that. Well I don't get that every day and I just want to make sure I get the best battery I can for what I need.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Attached is my screen. I still don't get anywhere near what everyone else is getting. I don't know why my Alarm clock is coming up as using battery because I only use it when it's on the wireless charging pad.

Outside of that I'm curious if anyone that sees this sees something unusual. And like others my connection here at home is almost always 3G. I don't get good signal here.

What pisses me off is with my IPhone 6+ it had great reception due to fact I believe they have more radios in their phones or more bands.

Edit. Can't attach my screen. I have 9 hours 38 min on battery with 20% left.

Android System 25%
Screen 13%
Cell Standby 8%

Those are my top ones.

Oh I see you can't attach screenshots.

If you read the post a few back about Verizon and the S4 and the N5, it isn't just radios, carriers can be involved.

With my old carrier I had an issue as soon as I upgraded to LTE phones. Signal was better everywhere but my house and I have four AT&T towers in a two mile radius, N, S, E and W.

Who is your carrier?

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
So yeah the battery life with the Note 5 is not bad but it could be better if Samsung fixes the Cell Standby issue

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 106

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having standby issue, but I have a great signal due to a signal booster.

Attachments

• 1440978174864.jpg
    1440978174864.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 1440978186134.jpg
    1440978186134.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 60

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have tried pretty much everything everyone has said to do. I have even reset my phone to factory.

Posted via the Android Central App

What is the procedure for doing this and how does it help battery life? I'm willing to try whatever is needed to get this fixed.

Got 10 hrs 33 minutes today but being it was weekend I didn't make any calls or really get many emails. It was a light use day. On my iPhone 6+ on weekends I'd routinely get 18-20 hours and during busy work week 12-15 hours.

I'm a power user for work so if I could get 12 hours I'd be happy.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What is the procedure for doing this and how does it help battery life? I'm willing to try whatever is needed to get this fixed.

Got 10 hrs 33 minutes today but being it was weekend I didn't make any calls or really get many emails. It was a light use day. On my iPhone 6+ on weekends I'd routinely get 18-20 hours and during busy work week 12-15 hours.

I'm a power user for work so if I could get 12 hours I'd be happy.

You got 10 hours and then it was dead? I'm at 10 hours 34 minutes and I have 34% left today with 4 hours 12 minutes of screen time. The last two weekends I've been at 6.5 to 7 hours of screen time but during the week I'm right at 5 it seems from all the phone calls during the day.