Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What is the procedure for doing this and how does it help battery life? I'm willing to try whatever is needed to get this fixed.

Got 10 hrs 33 minutes today but being it was weekend I didn't make any calls or really get many emails. It was a light use day. On my iPhone 6+ on weekends I'd routinely get 18-20 hours and during busy work week 12-15 hours.

I'm a power user for work so if I could get 12 hours I'd be happy.

Is there a reason you can't post screenshots? That would help a lot.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
You got 10 hours and then it was dead? I'm at 10 hours 34 minutes and I have 34% left today with 4 hours 12 minutes of screen time. The last two weekends I've been at 6.5 to 7 hours of screen time but during the week I'm right at 5 it seems from all the phone calls during the day.

Correct. I have disabled just about every everything i can think of that I don't use. I don't know what else to do. Someone in different thread mentioned doing a cache of partition but no idea what that means, does, or how to do it. Or what steps are and why I should bother.

Again I am a pretty heavy user. Meaning I use it for text and email frequently and read quite a bit on Drippler Feedly and WSJ app.

I don't get it I see all these people like you with great battery and cannot understand how I am not getting that unless I just push it too hard.

Again on the 6+ I pushed it same amount and got 15+ hours regularly.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Also I am using Google Now Launcher so now sure if that affects anything. Didn't think it would since it's so basic. But Maybe that's another issue although I only installed it yesterday so can't really be it?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Correct. I have disabled just about every everything i can think of that I don't use. I don't know what else to do. Someone in different thread mentioned doing a cache of partition but no idea what that means, does, or how to do it. Or what steps are and why I should bother.

Again I am a pretty heavy user. Meaning I use it for text and email frequently and read quite a bit on Drippler Feedly and WSJ app.

I don't get it I see all these people like you with great battery and cannot understand how I am not getting that unless I just push it too hard.

Again on the 6+ I pushed it same amount and got 15+ hours regularly.

Cache partition wipe..thst would be me. Now, this is exactly how I do it, due to the phone being big and two hands.

Shut off the phone.

1. Press and hold the home button, keep holding.

2. Press and hold the volume up button, keep holding both buttons.

3. Press and hold the power button, now holding 3 buttons.

The phone will start booting up. Then release the buttons.

The you will see an android on the screen with some red thing on his stomach, he used to be laying down.

There will be an odd number menu. Use your volume up and down buttons to move down and highlight wipe cache partition, make sure that is the one you have.

Use your power button to choose that.

It just takes a couple of seconds and then the menu will come back and be highlighted to reboot, the first menu option. Press power to choose that.

Now this won't delete anything you will notice. It may or may not help with the battery. It clears up a lot of stragler info from updating and I think apps that have been installed and uninstalled. It is a first thing to try before a reset.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. instagram is doing something funky behind the scenes despite having notifications off. I've Uninstalled Facebook and have just been using the browser; that app is out of control

Sent from my smexy Note 5

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. instagram is doing something funky behind the scenes despite having notifications off. I've Uninstalled Facebook and have just been using the browser; that app is out of control

Sent from my smexy Note 5

I had to delete instagram because it was using like 12% of my battery even if I would force stop it or not use the app at all. Crazy. I haven't had a problem with facebook though.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm using browser on phone and don't see option to do so in advanced settings. I took screenshots and wanted to but can't.

It is much like doing it on a computer. Here are directions. Feel free to ask for clarification if something isn't clear.

Attachments

• 1440982553094.jpg
    1440982553094.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 1440982565191.jpg
    1440982565191.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 55

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Because Facebook does a lot of crap that phone manufacturers let them get away with.

Do you use Instagram at all?
The 4% coming from my Facebook battery usage is ok with me because I've been using it quite of bit today.

I have an account on Instagram but I haven't opened the app at all today s why its showing up with 4% usage is beyond me.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The 4% coming from my Facebook battery usage is ok with me because I've been using it quite of bit today.

I have an account on Instagram but I haven't opened the app at all today s why its showing up with 4% usage is beyond me.

4% is completely within normal Facebook percentage. They don't worry at Facebook unless they see a 12 or so. I've been beta testing and discussing with developers for a couple of years now.

Ok, Instagram, do you actually use Instagram at all? Not just haven't used it today. Myself, I don't have an Instagram account.

Edit, totally missed the Instagram account part somehow.

That is normal, if you are logged in, it will do some work in the background.

Facebook apps are resource using heavy.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
4% is completely within normal Facebook percentage. They don't worry at Facebook unless they see a 12 or so. I've been beta testing and discussing with developers for a couple of years now.

Ok, Instagram, do you actually use Instagram at all? Not just haven't used it today. Myself, I don't have an Instagram account.

Edit, totally missed the Instagram account part somehow.

That is normal, if you are logged in, it will do some work in the background.

Facebook apps are resource using heavy.
Is there a way to turn off the background stuff? There really isn't much in the Instagram app settings to do so.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to turn off the background stuff? There really isn't much in the Instagram app settings to do so.

Yeah I know it isn't much to do, but Facebook apps get all kinds of access. Not really right now. You can restrict some background stuff only to WiFi. With Android M, you are going to be able to choose the permissions an app like this gets.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Download Doze from the PlayStore, it's a similar concept of what will be the Doze feature integrated in the next Android release to help with Standby battery drain.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Download Doze from the PlayStore, it's a similar concept of what will be the Doze feature integrated in the next Android release to help with Standby battery drain.

Doze didn't help me any, this app I'm testing is made by the same people and is working well so far. Another Ambassador is testing it for me also.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

On the S6 with 5.1.1, there is an option in the Battery menu, it's called Auto Stop, great for all apps that keeps draining the battery on the background. In the S6 is in the Detail button on the Battery Menu, but some other Asian and European carriers moved it to the RAM Management menu, I'm not sure if it's the one on the Smart Manager app, it wasn't very clear when I was told about it.

Anyways, I talked about this a couple of days ago, and Kelly, tried but it was showing the grayed out detail button that was there also for the S6 before the latest update. I assumed that because of Note 5 and Edge+ have the latest 5.1.1 you were supposed to also have it but it seems that if it's not just some carriers blocking that and others have it, then it's possible that it gets to the new devices with a new update soon, look for it on your phone or keep an eye for it after the next update.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Doze didn't help me any, this app I'm testing is made by the same people and is working well so far. Another Ambassador is testing it for me also.

Which app? Apparently I missed that.

Edit, never mind it was just a couple of posts above. But yes, I've been using ShutApp since April that's how I found out about Doze. So I can tell you, for me is the combination of both that works better.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
On the S6 with 5.1.1, there is an option in the Battery menu, it's called Auto Stop, great for all apps that keeps draining the battery on the background. In the S6 is in the Detail button on the Battery Menu, but some other Asian and European carriers moved it to the RAM Management menu, I'm not sure if it's the one on the Smart Manager app, it wasn't very clear when I was told about it.

Anyways, I talked about this a couple of days ago, and Kelly, tried but it was showing the grayed out detail button that was there also for the S6 before the latest update. I assumed that because of Note 5 and Edge+ have the latest 5.1.1 you were supposed to also have it but it seems that if it's not just some carriers blocking that and others have it, then it's possible that it gets to the new devices with a new update soon, look for it on your phone or keep an eye for it after the next update.

I just had an app show up there and I could open that. Only thing I could really do was uninstall that app though, no auto stop feature for T-mobile.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08