Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask again. Media server is my #2 drain at 7% but I havery no idea why. I haven't listened to any music watched any video or streamed any kind of media at all on my phone. Zero. I do have audible but it's not running. What ccould this be and why so high? Cell Standby is only 2% and that's because I'm in a good 4g area today so think the issue is bad or weaker connection from home.

I really want to know why media server is doing what it is makes no sense to me.

Have you done a reboot it a hard reset? Do you know how to do a hard reset on this phone? Just holding down power doesn't do it.

Also keep in mind, when the media server was 3% of 10%, that is only using 0.03% of your total battery.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you done a reboot it a hard reset? Do you know how to do a hard reset on this phone? Just holding down power doesn't do it.

Also keep in mind, when the media server was 3% of 10%, that is only using 0.03% of your total battery.

I have done the hard reset if you mean the volume down plus home plus power and then partition cache followed by reboot?

Media server is now at 9% and back of phone is very warm almost hot.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
OK thanks for good info. I'm going to let my battery go today. I'm at 60% and been off charger now for 4 hours. So it's going down at 10% per hour which I think is rather high.

I've disabled all bloatware and stopped syncing uncnessary apps but did that two days ago and still have issues.

The Cleaner is Clean Master. Not good?

Noooo.. Clean Master is the app I was talking about. If you installed it, uninstall it. If it was pre-installed, we need to disable it.

Clean Master can and will affect your media server. Let me know if you installed it or it was pre-installed.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Noooo.. Clean Master is the app I was talking about. If you installed it, uninstall it. If it was pre-installed, we need to disable it.

Clean Master can and will affect your media server. Let me know if you installed it or it was pre-installed.

OK. I removed it. I had used it for my Note 3 before switching to 6+ so I just deleted it.

I also have Battery doctor. Should I remove that as well?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
OK. I removed it. I had used it for my Note 3 before switching to 6+ so I just deleted it.

I also have Battery doctor. Should I remove that as well?

Yeah, I don't like battery doctor, except for diagnostic purposes only.

Who is your carrier? I have clean master built into a system app. So it might be on all phones or might be carrier. Clean Master used ro be a good app, but then RAM got managed well by Android and then Cheetah went all bad app.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't like battery doctor, except for diagnostic purposes only.

Who is your carrier? I have clean master built into a system app. So it might be on all phones or might be carrier. Clean Master used ro be a good app, but then RAM got managed well by Android and then Cheetah went all bad app.

Verizon is my carrier and it wasn't installed on there.

I am using Doze right now. I'll remove that battery app and see if that changes anything as well.

Not sure what else I can do.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is my carrier and it wasn't installed on there.

I am using Doze right now. I'll remove that battery app and see if that changes anything as well.

Not sure what else I can do.

OK, start with ShutApp, set it up, post if your have questions. Let's run for a couple of days, see how things are doing. Remember, don't be closing out all your stuff like you do with iPhone. I've seriously run all day with more than 15 things in my recent apps. Again, more than I would suggest, but Android handles it.

Also do a cache wipe just in case there are bits of that Clean Master left around after the uninstall, just to be safe.

Media server also has to do with indexing photos, just an FYI. Also Clean Master can get rid of that or use media server and keep that function from completing and also it cleans off a lot after things are indexed and they have to index again.

Last edited:

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, game with ShutApp, set it up, post if your have questions. Let's run for a couple of days, see how things are doing. Remember, don't be closing out all your stuff like you do with iPhone. I've seriously run all day with more than 15 things in my recent apps. Again, more than I would suggest, but Android handles it.

Also do a cache wipe just in case there are bits of that Clean Master left around after the uninstall, just to be safe.

Media server also has to do with indexing photos, just an FYI. Also Clean Master can get rid of that or use media server and keep that function from completing and also it cleans off a lot after things are indexed and they have to index again.

There's a few of ShutApp. Which one is it from Yirgalabs? Says ShutApp - Real Battery Saver.

Additionally I have Doze. So good there?

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So battery people.. How are batteries doing?

it's been only 2 days...on Verizon and not so good. Having to turn things off and on is a little PITA but trying to be fair and deal with it. Coming from iphone 6 I do enjoy some things but some it's ok, maybe cause the iphone was jailbroken. I can't believe that the iphone 6 has MUCH BETTER battery than the Note 5....AT LEAST FOR ME!

I understand that each system has it's quirks and I do need to make adjustments. So I am in the process of patiently testing out for 2 weeks.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
it's been only 2 days...on Verizon and not so good. Having to turn things off and on is a little PITA but trying to be fair and deal with it. Coming from iphone 6 I do enjoy some things but some it's ok, maybe cause the iphone was jailbroken. I can't believe that the iphone 6 has MUCH BETTER battery than the Note 5....AT LEAST FOR ME!

I understand that each system has it's quirks and I do need to make adjustments. So I am in the process of patiently testing out for 2 weeks.

Well what we need to see here is a couple of days and running as much as you can, and if possible, not charging until it drops and seeing also how things do at night, so charging before sleeping and letting the phone stay off the charger at night can tell us a lot.

We need to get it like you like it ans then you don't have to mess with it.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

I feel your pain. I'm also shocked at how much more battery I got from iPhone 6+ all you ever hear is how bad iPhone battery life is. In this case I'm going to charge it up before bed and take it off.

I do use my phone as an alarm clock when plugged in but in this case I'll just set an alarm and use hotel clock.

Right now I've had the phone 5 days and I'm severing about 8-9 hours after having disabled a lot for stuff.

I really like Google Now Cards but I fear I need to shut that feature off as well. Just sucks to have to disable so many things to get it through a work day.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Having used the 6 plus, I have found that both to be close in straight SOT, but the idle on the iPhone is vastly superior. IPhone kicks apps out of memory quickly when on idle. Android let's more apps run in the background. Like for example I was downloading music from Spotify, uploading videos to youtube. When I turn the screen off, these tasks will shut off after a while on my 6 plus. On the note 5, these apps are allowed to remain in memory. So apps like shutapp and doze helps to do what iPhones do by default. Things should net better on Android m because doze feature is built in.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Having used the 6 plus, I have found that both to be close in straight SOT, but the idle on the iPhone is vastly superior. IPhone kicks apps out of memory quickly when on idle. Android let's more apps run in the background. Like for example I was downloading music from Spotify, uploading videos to youtube. When I turn the screen off, these tasks will shut off after a while on my 6 plus. On the note 5, these apps are allowed to remain in memory. So apps like shutapp and doze helps to do what iPhones do by default. Things should net better on Android m because doze feature is built in.

Any word on release of marshmallow? That's a feature that could make all the difference.

True as well when you talk SOT although I charged my Note 5 to 100% unplugged 30 min ago and all I've been doing is email text and writing via Chrome on this site and I'm down 7%. Just seems to drain so much faster than I expected.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Any word on release of marshmallow? That's a feature that could make all the difference.

True as well when you talk SOT although I charged my Note 5 to 100% unplugged 30 min ago and all I've been doing is email text and writing via Chrome on this site and I'm down 7%. Just seems to drain so much faster than I expected.
No idea on m release.

The 6 plus has a dead zone at the top, the note 5 doesn't. In my usage, the note 5 ranged from 12-16% on light tasks straight SOT typically. On the 6 plus, I was getting 12-14%, once you got past the dead zone at the top.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

thanks for the info...so I downloaded Shutapp and Doze. With shutapp i selected whitelist apps...how often should I close the apps? with "DOZE"... what do I do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech