Note 5 Battery life thread

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
FYI, that 'Since' line in GSAM is when it first started collecting statistics. That will either be when you installed it or if you went into the app settings and cleared GSAM's app data. And those values to the left of the date are as much an average of your usage as it is an estimate of how long you'll get out of a charge. If you only use your phone for 30 minutes between charges, it'll say just that.... it isn't an estimate of your phone's absolute battery performance.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One thing I'd like to know from those who are getting ridiculously good battery. Do you have email set to sync automatically on demand or do you manually refresh? Do you have weather apps that sync at all and if so how much?

What about social media accounts?

I have office apps like One Drive and Docs as well as Microsoft Office apps. I do not sync them however nor do I with Docs and Sheets

I do sync pictures but only set it to do it over WiFi.

I just cannot figure out why I cannot seem to pull what others are pulling.

I will say that my SOT will be high. I text frequently and check email once every 10-15 minutes. I do check Facebook but only over Chrome (deleted the app)

I read the WSJ app in the AM for probably 15 min or so. Check Twitter but less frequently and not set to sync.

And I've disabled all Samsung and Verizon bloatware as well as Amazon except for Audible and Amazon App itself.

Posted via the Android Central App

Other than running Nova Prime and debloating, my phone is completely stock (as in most relevant settings have not been changed). Over the last couple of weeks I've been averaging about 3.5% per hour at the end of a 15-16 hour period and about three hours or so per day of SOT. I have Weather bug, FaceBook, and GMail all syncing. Location services set to default (GPS, WiFi, and whatever the third one is). Finally, I'm in a horrible coverage area all day at work (bad enough that I can't really even make calls).

I originally got a dark blue one which I had for a week. I realized that I preferred a phone in white I swapped it out for one this past Saturday. I have experienced pretty much the same results with both phone though the new one is maybe 1/2%-1% per hour better. I can't explain why some people are having trouble. I'm in a horrible coverage area all day at work (bad enough that I can't really even make calls)

The attached screenshot shows my averages. Since this is, for me, repeatable (two different phones, same result) I'm at a loss to understand why some people are having trouble.

Screenshot_2015-09-02-09-24-29.jpg

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, standby and T-Mobile because they are the only ones with WiFi calling.

Yes, it raises the standby, yes that is normal. The "standby" can be a catch-all. When on WiFi calling and airplane on or off, something still uses battery. The phone is always using battery, so your standby will go up. If your battery isn't draining, that high standby in that situation is ok.

My standby usually never shows up, I have very good network signal though. If I am idle a long time, it will pop up, if I'm in a bad signal area it will pop up.

If you have standby popping up, the first thing that needs to be looked at is the signal. I have noticed that even 3 bars is low enough to really not be a great signal and can raise standby, two and one bars for sure will.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
How much SOT are you getting?
Oops. Forgot to get that one. Here they are a little bit later before I went to bed.
81e9e2140be672da9ef9e0be7f2bf62a.jpg

e32d23a3ca35f71ccd5dbaf91ff338e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Im thinking about returning my note 5! Battery life isnt good and apps keep running! Cell standb

I had the note 5 for 6 days now and noticed the battery life isnt great coming from a zte zmax which is a cheap phone but it has a huge battery and it made it threw the day even with heavy usage and i sometimes was able to use the phone on the same charge the next day! Now with this note 5 the that is a NO! Apps keep freakin running and i do end them and then some pop up again! Also the cell standby is the number 2 killer of my battery drain! Is this cell standby thing happening with everyone who has freakin t-mobile?!? Is there a fix? I havent heard any complaints of the cell standby issue with verizon or at&t! Also i shouldnt have to turn on power saving mode to get threw the day with this phone because when i do turn it on it sucks and makes my phone run choppy! My zte zmax only costed my $250 and the battery can last me a full day and a half yea it took crappy pictures and wasnt as fast but still never needed to plug it up!

Screen brightness on auto and mostly of the day im using wifi i dunno if these things can be the cause of it? Also have all my vibrations on. Volte is on as well. Sync is always on. Font is set on large. Smart stay off. Screen mode Amoled cinema. daydream off. Everything for the s-pen is off since i dont use it. Motions and gestures are all off.

These apps keep running even after i end them=Google play service, T-mobile my account,Facebook messenger, Google app, camera, s-note,messages,contacts

Help me out before i return this thing because besides the battery and apps keep running i love it!
Just like with cars, do you want to go fast, look nice and have all the extras or a car that gets great MPG and can go a week without fueling? I think the Note 5 has a great balance between power and battery life. I am sure a flip phone from 5 years ago could go a week off the charger. Having less battery life would never make me switch to an iPhone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Im thinking about returning my note 5! Battery life isnt good and apps keep running! Cell standb

Just like with cars, do you want to go fast, look nice and have all the extras or a car that gets great MPG and can go a week without fueling? I think the Note 5 has a great balance between power and battery life. I am sure a flip phone from 5 years ago could go a week off the charger. Having less battery life would never make me switch to an iPhone.

LOL... Good analogy...

Many people are looking for the unicorn combination of a well-built, sporty looking car that has 500 horsepower, zero-to-sixty in under 4 seconds, sips ounces of fuel, achieving 40+ miles per gallon (preferably more!)... Oh, and it's gotta be under $30,000.00 MSRP.

SmogHog

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
And would be better than I got from the note 4 with my usage.

Do you have your Note 4 test with new battery results to compare to what you posted here about the Note 5?

Samsung kicked their Note buying base under the bus and are trying to entice iPhone users to make the switch.

They didn't offer present Samsung owners a 30 day trail of the Note 5,did they.

Not everyone uses all or most of a phones features but the sum of all the users that like a particular model features are what makes a phone a hit..

Removing features lessens your base.

The Note 5 could have been great if only Samsung created a phone for it's base,not Apple's

reidcc

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Its a great phone- I just came from a Nexus5. Before that Captivate, GS II, GSIII.
Battery is better than I imagined, and I am not afraid of the cloud IF I need storage. It works for me.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
how often do you close apps with shutup?
I white list the apps that I use all the time so if I see one open i usually close right away. I'd say I'm hibernating apps maybe 5 times a day.

I think where most of the battery savings come from is all the apps it initially hibernates right after rebooting the phone.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

LOL... Good analogy...

Many people are looking for the unicorn combination of a well-built, sporty looking car that has 500 horsepower, zero-to-sixty in under 4 seconds, sips ounces of fuel, achieving 40+ miles per gallon (preferably more!)... Oh, and it's gotta be under $30,000.00 MSRP.
Such a combination does exist if you care to peek outside Galaxy ecosystem. Moto Turbo and Xperia Z series all have fantastic battery life and are very powerful at the same time.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

OK... NOW we are talking. I like GSAM's stats better. See that mobile radio line item... 38%! Yikes! Well, look at it again. 1.5 hours, you had your screen on for 4 minutes, so essentially idle. Your phone radio shows that it was responsible for 38% of the power used over that span... what amounts to a 1%/h drain. That is fairly high, but that could mean that your mobile signal is junk and the transmitter has to crank up the power to get a decent connection.

....Or there could be a bug in the firmware that is causing the radio to broadcast at too high a power in some situations.

Good news is that GSAM can give you a detailed breakdown of how long your signal was at a particular quality and how much power that used. Bad news is that you need to install the GSAM companion app, which requires root access.

Lightshield

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My Old Nemesis, Android System Battery Drain

I've had my Note 5 a week and a half now, and the last couple of days I've noticed my old enemy from my Note 4 days has returned... the Android System battery drain.

In GSAM and the built in battery meter, it's consistently listed as the top battery hog. Of course, since Android System consists of a hundred or more individual services, it's near impossible to determine what exactly is the cause.

I fought it for the last several months on the Note 4 and eventually moved on from the phone because of it.

Very skittish now about committing to the Note 5, even though battery in general on it has been great.

This is on Verizon with bloatware apps disabled, btw.

Anyone else seeing massive drains from the Android System?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Old Nemesis, Android System Battery Drain

Play Services got updated a few days ago, maybe that's what's causing the jump in battery drain? You can try clearing the Cache on Play Services from the App Manager or if that doesn't work, try uninstalling updates from it, reboot, and let it re-update on its own.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie