Note 5 Battery life thread

atomicpower

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Im thinking about returning my note 5! Battery life isnt good and apps keep running! Cell standb

Screenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-01.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-09.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-17.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-02-14-06-28.jpg
I wanted to test standby time where I have good coverage. I don't use fb, twitter, etc. I have 2 google accounts with majority syncing. All the google now stuff is on. I used the phone for about 30 mins, a few messages (<20), and the rest of the SOT can be attributed to internet and youtube. I did restart my phone late last night because I noticed android system was keeping my phone awake for no reason (you can see the change in slope around 2 am mark). Hopefully android M will fix some of these wake issues. I am the opposite of a power user so I can't speak for everyone here, but I think that most people's problem on this thread is bad reception.

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Old Nemesis, Android System Battery Drain

What else has jumped aside from AS?
My son had this on his Note 4 and it was in conjunction with new heavy YouTube usage.

Something to check....

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
OK... NOW we are talking. I like GSAM's stats better. See that mobile radio line item... 38%! Yikes! Well, look at it again. 1.5 hours, you had your screen on for 4 minutes, so essentially idle. Your phone radio shows that it was responsible for 38% of the power used over that span... what amounts to a 1%/h drain. That is fairly high, but that could mean that your mobile signal is junk and the transmitter has to crank up the power to get a decent connection.

....Or there could be a bug in the firmware that is causing the radio to broadcast at too high a power in some situations.

Good news is that GSAM can give you a detailed breakdown of how long your signal was at a particular quality and how much power that used. Bad news is that you need to install the GSAM companion app, which requires root access.

At the very end of the day, right before I plug it in, I'm averaging about 3.5% per hour, with between 3-4 hours of SOT. The phone provides useful service and can stay alive for many hours more than any normal human can stay awake . Why does it matter what is drawing that power?

The radio uses power. In this case, 38% of the 4% used at that time (that;s 1.52% of the total) went out the antenna. As of this post, I've used 29% of the battery, 47 min SOT, 36% (of the 29%) when out the screen and 7% (of the 29%) went out the antenna . What confuses me more than anything else is why folks think the radio's battery usage is some kind of bug. It works great. It lasts as long, or longer, than the iPhone 6 (the 5" one) it replaced. This phone is awesome! You guys just need to stop obsessing over over every little nitnoid statistic you can find and just use the damn phone for a few weeks.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Again. No idea how people are getting this epic battery life without shutting down tons of features. Mine is attached and I have Approx 3 hours left.

It's OK but not the unreal stuff I've seen from others.

Posted via the Android Central App

Could be the google app has a ton of wakelocks. Try turning it off.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Im thinking about returning my note 5! Battery life isnt good and apps keep running! Cell standb

These apps keep running even after i end them=Google play service, T-mobile my account,Facebook messenger, Google app, camera, s-note,messages,contacts

Help me out before i return this thing because besides the battery and apps keep running i love it!

Try turning off Volte and disabling your Google app (not just ending it)....unless you actually use google now.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

i shouldnt have to disable a damn thing for a phone i paid $760 for yet my zte zmax with heavy usage got me threw a full day and half of the next day just from one charge! I dont wanna turn Volte off cause when im on calls i like to use my internet. I only use google chrome web browser.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

i shouldnt have to disable a damn thing for a phone i paid $760 for yet my zte zmax with heavy usage got me threw a full day and half of the next day just from one charge! I dont wanna turn Volte off cause when im on calls i like to use my internet. I only use google chrome web browser.

Well actually, you do have to disable some things if you don't want to burn through battery. This phone does a lot more than your other phone.

You are on T-Mobile, right? You don't need VoLTE to talk and be on the net at the same time.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
if i disable google app will that effect anything that i need to use? also i noticed facebook messenger is always using 72mb and even if i end the app it comes back on :(

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Try turning off Volte and disabling your Google app (not just ending it)....unless you actually use google now.

I've tried disabling Google App and it's greyed out

Posted via the Android Central App

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

yes i know that but with volte on the internet speeds are faster is why i want it on.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
if i disable google app will that effect anything that i need to use? also i noticed facebook messenger is always using 72mb and even if i end the app it comes back on :(

It is always going to come back up. 72 mb is a small amount. If it starts using a large percentage of your battery, then that is another issue.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
when i click on ram it shows facebook messenger is on top of the list using the most ram is there anyway i can stop it from running after im done using it?

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
as of now my battery is on 58% and only used it for 4hrs and i just forced stopped facebook messenger app so lets see if it lasts me longer.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
when i click on ram it shows facebook messenger is on top of the list using the most ram is there anyway i can stop it from running after im done using it?

That is OK for it to be at the top. You can not stop it from running in RAM if you use it. If it starts showing up high in the battery percentage, that is another issue.

You don't need to clear out RAM like you do for a Windows computer. I don't even have 1 gb of free RAM.

Attachments

• 1441228134156.jpg
    1441228134156.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
as of now my battery is on 58% and only used it for 4hrs and i just forced stopped facebook messenger app so lets see if it lasts me longer.

It won't help you to force stop it.

I left you a message with things to do so I can look at what you have and options around Facebook messenger. I don't use messenger because it uses so many resources.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20