Note 5 Battery life thread

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what carrier you are with. Per Kelly's suggestion, I called TMobile today, there are 2 options to address better bar signals, the Signal Booster or the WiFi Cell Spot Router. They will send me the latter free of charge.

I'm with Verizon. They don't offer Voice over WiFi calling so I need a signal booster

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what carrier you are with. Per Kelly's suggestion, I called TMobile today, there are 2 options to address better bar signals, the Signal Booster or the WiFi Cell Spot Router. They will send me the latter free of charge.

You sure you don't want the signal booster? It increases the signal and data speed.

I'm in a hole, without the booster my data is 1-3 Mbps, and signal is minimal. With it, my signal is high and data is 30-35 Mbps.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So when I get this what's the point?

Also side note. How can I enlarge the photos that people attached in this app? I click on the photo and all options pop up to do everything but enlarge photos

That is something that you don't have white listed that is up and running. Likely something it just can not hibernate.

Do you mean enlarge the photos on your app or the browser? On the browser, they are enlarged, on the app, I just tap them.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
You sure you don't want the signal booster? It increases the signal and data speed.

I'm in a hole, without the booster my data is 1-3 Mbps, and signal is minimal. With it, my signal is high and data is 30-35 Mbps.

Do these boosters just increase the 3g signal? That's what it says on their website. Guess that is better than nothing.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Do these boosters just increase the 3g signal? That's what it says on their website. Guess that is better than nothing.

Depends on the company. When I was with AT&T that is all their microcell did. Now that I'm with T-mobile, their booster increases the LTE signal.

I would call Verizon and ask if they have one for LTE.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
So when I get this what's the point?

Close, hibernate, shut.... whatever word you want to use. It keeps the apps that you close using shutapp from doing things in the background that can use up your battery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If you're asking about the GSam battery monitor app, no, I don't. Funny, but, if you look at one of my post a couple of pages back, I posted my On Screen Time. So, it was there at one stage...

I've had that before but it always comeback eventually. Nothing to worry about, in worst case scenario, just do a Wipe Cache Partition on Recovery mode and it should be back after the reboot.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

They suggested the WiFi Cell Spot Router the better option for me, supposedly it would give me more bars and improve my wifi. This router is only for tablet and cell phone, not laptop. They can exchange for the Signal Booster if needed later.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced it's low or bad cell coverage. But now I'm reading in other thread it might be related to Verizon which I am on and if WiFi is on makes it worse? If I turned WiFi off I'd pretty much be dead in the water.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm convinced it's low or bad cell coverage. But now I'm reading in other thread it might be related to Verizon which I am on and if WiFi is on makes it worse? If I turned WiFi off I'd pretty much be dead in the water.

I also have Verizon. I'm using WiFi and have advanced calling turned on and my battery life is great. I do have a consistently solid signal all day though so I bet it is your poor signal causing battery issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Well I'm not convinced it is all of Verizon and not only Verizon and not just the N5.

There is someone with an LG on AT&T having the issue. With your signal being so bad, it will eat up your battery.

If your standby is high but not burning battery, that is ok. If all you can get is a 3G signal booster, it will stop battery drain from a bad signal. It stopped mine completely with AT&T.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Still rather pleased with what I'm getting. SO isn't as high as yesterday's, but I am overall pretty happy with my results.

Attachments

• 1441246255713.jpg
    1441246255713.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 1441246265689.jpg
    1441246265689.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 54

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Im thinking about returning my note 5! Battery life isnt good and apps keep running! Cell standb

I had the note 5 for 6 days now and noticed the battery life isnt great coming from a zte zmax which is a cheap phone but it has a huge battery and it made it threw the day even with heavy usage and i sometimes was able to use the phone on the same charge the next day! Now with this note 5 the that is a NO! Apps keep freakin running and i do end them and then some pop up again! Also the cell standby is the number 2 killer of my battery drain! Is this cell standby thing happening with everyone who has freakin t-mobile?!? Is there a fix? I havent heard any complaints of the cell standby issue with verizon or at&t! Also i shouldnt have to turn on power saving mode to get threw the day with this phone because when i do turn it on it sucks and makes my phone run choppy! My zte zmax only costed my $250 and the battery can last me a full day and a half yea it took crappy pictures and wasnt as fast but still never needed to plug it up!

Screen brightness on auto and mostly of the day im using wifi i dunno if these things can be the cause of it? Also have all my vibrations on. Volte is on as well. Sync is always on. Font is set on large. Smart stay off. Screen mode Amoled cinema. daydream off. Everything for the s-pen is off since i dont use it. Motions and gestures are all off.

These apps keep running even after i end them=Google play service, T-mobile my account,Facebook messenger, Google app, camera, s-note,messages,contacts

Help me out before i return this thing because besides the battery and apps keep running i love it!

Please take screenshots of your on board battery page which shows the graph along with the power apps use. Also include the GSAM page. Your ZTE max is irrelevant because it is lower tech. Focus on the now and understand that battery technology is at a standstill and displays and phone functions increase.

There is a bug on Android lollipop which penalizes the battery when you use wifi and data together. If you don't want cell standby drain you need to turn off wifi when not in use. I recommend Tasker.

Only sync when you need to otherwise each app is going to think its special and sync all the time. Having 20+ apps syncing every 10 minutes is going to ruin your battery.

Google play service will run all the time because it is the basis of practically every app. Since Facebook message and messages are MESSAGING apps they will always stay on. If you don't want FB messenger to always be on turn off notifications. Camera is always going to be on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I must look for the steps to perform this on a SGN5...

Power off the phone and press and hold volume up, home and power buttons until you see the Android robot. Once in there navigate with the volume buttons and select with the power button. Just remember that if you need it, just do there the Wipe Cache Partition, it sometimes takes care of weird issues on the OS.

Last edited:

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My new white t-mobile 64gb is fantastic. I'm using doze and greenify

9200e9c6b4c59f4540aa53970d05c4e5.jpg
a740b4c41037ac2c735d501ad6f9bdf4.jpg
4a81617d25c9946e7567ba71dc57001b.jpg

No cell standby drain. Google now and wifi calling is off. Looking at 7 hours SOT

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you're right. Looking at it my signal bounces between 3g and 1x and text messages take a lot longer. I'm going to check on a range extender or whatever that is. Checking to see if company will get me one.

I too think Kelly is right, and that it is also the source of my issues at home. Attached is my cell signal. It's not particularly good. Tomorrow night I will try to add a signal booster (I'm on vzw and it's a 1x booster only).

Attachments

• 1441250805600.jpg
    1441250805600.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 59

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I too think Kelly is right, and that it is also the source of my issues at home. Attached is my cell signal. It's not particularly good. Tomorrow night I will try to add a signal booster (I'm on vzw and it's a 1x booster only).

That will cause the phone to overwork trying to lock a signal for sure. Hopefully the signal is a lot better where you are moving to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy