Note 5 Battery life thread

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My screen time is not very high these last couple days with more normal use but still getting about 20 hours a charge so it's good. Today I only have about an hour of SOT and have 37% left after 13 hours and 20 minutes. Supposedly about 8 hours left. I was so impressed by the first day and my screenshots I posted last week though with all the tinkering and over 3 hours of on-screen time with the charge. Not sure I'll end up getting that now if I needed to have the screen on that much. Luckily most of my daily phone use is with the screen off (Spotify, MLB At Bat Radio) but it'd be nice to know for sure that I could get hours with screen on if I needed to.

Android System still the highest user at 26.7% on GSam. Supposedly 5%/hr. Hope I can get it down to about 3.5% or 4%.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I took my Note 5 back. I was disappointed to take it back. The phone was awesome except the battery life. I was tearing through it. I tweaked it to get right around 4 SOT. I think Verizon Note 5 has worse battery life than the others. I am now rocking a Moto E on Verizon waiting to see what happens with Nexus and Iphones this month.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I too think Kelly is right, and that it is also the source of my issues at home. Attached is my cell signal. It's not particularly good. Tomorrow night I will try to add a signal booster (I'm on vzw and it's a 1x booster only).

I just ordered this:

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 243.jpg
    243.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 138

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I am 100% convinced that poor battery life is result of two things:

Google App.
Poor Cell Coverage

I noticed Google app was high on list of things eating battery. After 2 hours this AM it was at 6% So I disabled Google Now (even though I Iike it).

Results? Magically my battery has gotten better. No question for me this was biggest drain or one of them.

I ordered cell range extender and will attempt to solve that over the weekend.

Then I will turn Google Now back on and test that side of it.

Just hate fact I have to spend my time doing it.

BTW. I'm also sure that the hardware internals of iPhone is better. Meaning I believe they have more radios that help to pull better signal. I never had an issue with my 6+ with coverage but before I had that phone I had the Note 3 and did have it.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
You mean Verizon doesn't give any away?

AT&T sells them, but sometimes store managers or customer care will give them away when you complain about your signal.

They do but it only works for 3g and they are not free. $100 but my company is letting me expense this one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I took my Note 5 back. I was disappointed to take it back. The phone was awesome except the battery life. I was tearing through it. I tweaked it to get right around 4 SOT. I think Verizon Note 5 has worse battery life than the others. I am now rocking a Moto E on Verizon waiting to see what happens with Nexus and Iphones this month.

Battery life for me was about the same as the note 4. About 5-7 hours SOT in a regular days usage.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Google App.
Poor Cell Coverage

I noticed Google app was high on list of things eating battery. After 2 hours this AM it was at 6% So I disabled Google Now (even though I Iike it).

Results? Magically my battery has gotten better. No question for me this was biggest drain or one of them.

BTW. I'm also sure that the hardware internals of iPhone is better. Meaning I believe they have more radios that help to pull better signal. I never had an issue with my 6+ with coverage but before I had that phone I had the Note 3 and did have it.

The thing about Google Now.. It uses location, which uses GPS, WiFi and cell network, so good signal cam change that.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site

Google App.
Poor Cell Coverage

I have full bars where I am at. Still bad drain.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I've attached a screenshot for this question. Why does this keep popping up constantly in my notifications? I use SwiftKey and disabled Samsung keyboard completely because it was happening all the time. Still keeps happening.

Attachments

• 247.jpg
    247.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 113

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Proof of my improvement after disabling Google Now?

Oh I don't doubt it. A lot also depends on what you have Google Now doing. I ran it on my Note 4, but didn't have it giving notifications for much or many cards being used.

The more you use it for, the more location is used, if your signal is bad, location keeps on and on trying to send a location to Google.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've attached a screenshot for this question. Why does this keep popping up constantly in my notifications? I use SwiftKey and disabled Samsung keyboard completely because it was happening all the time. Still keeps happening.

It is only there when you have the keyboard up on another screen.