Note 5 Battery life thread

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Doing pretty good now!
Things I realized that will drain battery
1. If your not on a good WiFi network (not strong or keeps dropping)... Your battery will drop FAST
2. I used to use auto wifi connect apps ok my S6, but I realized it drained battery... After u installing it... My battery is BETTER
3. In WiFi settings, turn Keep WiFi On While Sleeping to "Never"... It helps save battery
4. Doze drains battery if you constantly awake your phone... It will make "Android System" go up... I turned mine off and my battery is doing great

View attachment 195428
View attachment 195429

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

So you're sure that Doze does this? I have Shutapp anyway so I'm thinking I might diable Doze temporarily and see what happens.

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So you're sure that Doze does this? I have Shutapp anyway so I'm thinking I might diable Doze temporarily and see what happens.

Well from my testing that's what I noticed. I disabled mine and my battery is pretty good now... When u make the phone sleep then Doze activates and when you open it has to turn itself off until u make the phone sleep again... I think that alone makes Android System go up because it creates a VPN and activates and deactivates constantly... My guess

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I turned off Doze, wasn't sure it was helping at all.

Dpham00 - what do you mean?

I put my Verizon extender in my basement, and right now I'm about 10 feet away from it (1 floor up) and it's not connecting to it - it only has 1x but I have 3 bars 4g.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Why the hell would this be happening if I have option selected to never allow WiFi when sleeping? I had my screen off for 20 minutes at home and cell and WiFi are exactly the same. It's NOT sleeping despite clearly having that option selected.

I know this is causing more battery drain as well.

Attachments

• 378.jpg
    378.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 158

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Well from my testing that's what I noticed. I disabled mine and my battery is pretty good now... When u make the phone sleep then Doze activates and when you open it has to turn itself off until u make the phone sleep again... I think that alone makes Android System go up because it creates a VPN and activates and deactivates constantly... My guess

I've noticed the same thing. I'd just rather have greenify and that's it. I'm going to run it today without doze or shutapp and see how it performs.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
4. Doze drains battery if you constantly awake your phone... It will make "Android System" go up... I turned mine off and my battery is doing great

You know what, I never thought of that but you are right, it makes sense completely, I mean, doze is better for people with large periods of Standby, because it really works, but for people like you and me who are constantly turning on and off the screen, it may counterproductive.

I just turned it off and will test it for a day or so. I'm getting excellent battery life but I'm also using the Auto Stop feature, so don't know which one is helping the most, I'm getting an average of 7 hours of SoT for this past 3 days after I finished setting everything on my phone (this without Bluetooth on all the time and Android wear, about an hour less with Android Wear and my Asus Zenwatch), a little short of the 7.5 - 8 hours I was getting with the S6 active, but it's obvious that the active with a 3500mAH battery and a 5.1" screen can last longer.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Best I got so far.. Mix of wifi and Lte

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-07-16-09-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-07-16-09-52.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_2015-09-07-16-16-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-07-16-16-12.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 139

kjlee2112

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
This is my problem. Of course the battery is going to last longer than older phone batteries. Until the internal one starts to degrade. The way people use phones these days, that won't take very much to accomplish. I don't care if someone has the phone in hand or not, the fact that you can't remove it is such a disappointment and is a major issue unless you enjoy dropping $800 every year for a new phone. The SD card complainers don't have much to go on with the way cloud storage works but no removable battery....ugh. Wretched. The best part about these Notes was that they didn't resemble iPhones. Welp there goes that. I hope people don't turn into lemmings based on an iPhone clone and perpetuate the antidevelopment of this line. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that my N3 will outlast some of your N5s. Ok, I'm done, but thank you for posting this about battery degradation. People aren't thinking ahead.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The battery can be changed just not by mere mortals. This concern about the longevity of the device is unfounded.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
After charging my Note 5, I put it down and used my N4. I picked it up once earlier today to see where the battery was. Just a few minutes ago, I sent a text and looked at Facebook. It still had WiFi on, set to sleep when the screen is off, and location turned on, it had an active SIM card. These are the results.

Google Play Services is because I had a notification that some apps have an update.

Attachments

• 1441667131031.jpg
    1441667131031.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 1441667151831.jpg
    1441667151831.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 61

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
you have power saving mode on i never have it on is why your battery life is better. I hate when i put it on it makes my phone run like crap!

I don't use power saving at all.

i watched a couple youtube phone reviews on the note 5 too and they say the battery isnt that great and wish they would have put a bigger battery in it.

Actually the reviews that came out before the phone was released, say just the opposite about the battery.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So I turned that off and still I am getting WiFi on when I turn the screen off. I don't get it.

I set I right and when I turn the screen on after it's been sitting off for 5-10 min the WiFi symbol is right there and GSM shows WiFi and cell signal are almost identical in times

I think GSam only calculates the actual WiFi toggle being on. When my WiFi is set to be off when sleeping, GSam shows it never goes off, but my phone tells a different story. When I turn on the screen, my WiFi symbol pops up and I get a notification with the network name I just connected to.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why the hell would this be happening if I have option selected to never allow WiFi when sleeping? I had my screen off for 20 minutes at home and cell and WiFi are exactly the same. It's NOT sleeping despite clearly having that option selected.

I know this is causing more battery drain as well.

I think this is a GSam reporting limitation. Mine says the same and it is obvious, my phone has slept.

It also shows a very long SOT which isn't correct.

Attachments

• 1441667807751.jpg
    1441667807751.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I just dont get why your backing up the note 5 so much like anything we post about it being bad you always dont agree.....We dont use the same apps and settings as you so you cant keep saying the note 5 battery is good and i can link you to about 8 reviews i watched and they state the battery isnt that great and is a downside of the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just dont get why your backing up the note 5 so much like anything we post about it being bad you always dont agree.....We dont use the same apps and settings as you so you cant keep saying the note 5 battery is good and i can link you to about 8 reviews i watched and they state the battery isnt that great and is a downside of the phone.

The ones saying they like it get those results. While I get you may not be getting that it doesn't mean they're in the same boat. If you post results & troubleshoot you may get better results. I've seen some try a few changes which resulted in better stats for them.

As you said everyone runs different things / uses the phone differently so it takes some trial and error to get that sweet spot.