Note 5 Battery life thread

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wonder why you aren't getting that high standby on WiFi.. I don't get it either, but I'm also not Verizon.
I wonder if it is some app or obscure setting causing it? For those that have a problem, if it is real bad, did they try a factory data reset and not installing any apps and see if the problem persists?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it is some app or obscure setting causing it? For those that have a problem, if it is real bad, did they try a factory data reset and not installing any apps and see if the problem persists?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

I don't know if they did, because it is mostly discussed in another thread..

Last edited:

Zoonvu

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I just switched from iPhone to Note 5 about a week already.

I m just not sure is it normal for Note 5 to lost about 25% of battery overnight on standby (7 hours). I tried turned off sync, location, power saving and few other settings that could save battery. I never get better than 20%. I lost about 2% with the iPhone. This would meam Note 5 would last about 28 hours on standby. Is this normal?

Posted via the Android Central App

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I m just not sure is it normal for Note 5 to lost about 25% of battery overnight on standby (7 hours). I tried turned off sync, location, power saving and few other settings that could save battery. I never get better than 20%. I lost about 2% with the iPhone. This would meam Note 5 would last about 28 hours on standby. Is this normal?

No with battery saver on overnight I only lose about 3% in 7 hours. It's probably an app you have installed, I've had difficulty finding the exact cause of such drains, but use the wake lock detector app mentioned above and you'll find your culprit

Note5User

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site

My experience with 2 Note 5's i have i do have same issue if we leave it over wifi.
I have no apps installed. Even not Linked my gmail account. But it still drains 30% overnight.
It is giving very good life if i am 4G with almost all the apps i user and in Sync, Gmail, Yahoo, Whatsapp, Viber, etc. I drains only 10% over night in span of 8 to 10 hrs.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK... So far I have been able to convince myself (and prove to myself) that this phone (and the battery) will last me the entire day during my normal workday... Without having any access to an AC wall outlet, I can easily go 15-20 hours with light usage, and seem to be able to go 10-15 hours with moderate use...

This weekend will be the first time I will truly test the real life ability for my phone to take me through a busy weekend with almost no access to an AC adapter, and a heavy need for taking photos all day long... I'll be taking an extended battery along with me just in case...

I am a little nervous...I am not sure how the phone will perform all day long with the high demand of photos and videos throughout the day...

I won't take the opportunity to test the limits though...I am definitely going to trickle charge the phone with my external battery whenever convenient...I am attending an event that I really don't want to miss any photo opportunities... But carrying extra external batteries is part of my use case for days like this weekend, so I don't mind...

Wish me luck!!!

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
What carrier are you on?

Are you using Wifi? I was having same issues...and just by turning wifi off...I went from losing 5-6% every hour on standby to losing less than 1% every hour on standby. Before changing any other setting...just try to see if turning wifi off fixes it. In that case you know its not any app or setting...its just freaking wifi on Verizon models. If that doesnt fix it...then you know there is something else in the background.

Obviously this is not the solution as I didnt spend $700 on a phone and not be able to use WiFi...but till the time there is a fix...atleast I know whats causing it.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
OK... So far I have been able to convince myself (and prove to myself) that this phone (and the battery) will last me the entire day during my normal workday... Without having any access to an AC wall outlet, I can easily go 15-20 hours with light usage, and seem to be able to go 10-15 hours with moderate use...

This weekend will be the first time I will truly test the real life ability for my phone to take me through a busy weekend with almost no access to an AC adapter, and a heavy need for taking photos all day long... I'll be taking an extended battery along with me just in case...

I am a little nervous...I am not sure how the phone will perform all day long with the high demand of photos and videos throughout the day...

I won't take the opportunity to test the limits though...I am definitely going to trickle charge the phone with my external battery whenever convenient...I am attending an event that I really don't want to miss any photo opportunities... But carrying extra external batteries is part of my use case for days like this weekend, so I don't mind...

Wish me luck!!!
Yes, good luck. I am looking forward to reading your update!

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I understand that you only use 3% with battery saver....but why should I have to put battery saver on? The point is not that there are ways to slow the drain...atleast for me the issue is that the damn drain shouldnt be there to begin with. Especially when its something that I didn't do or an app I didnt install.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
What carrier are you on?

Are you using Wifi? I was having same issues...and just by turning wifi off...I went from losing 5-6% every hour on standby to losing less than 1% every hour on standby. Before changing any other setting...just try to see if turning wifi off fixes it. In that case you know its not any app or setting...its just freaking wifi on Verizon models. If that doesnt fix it...then you know there is something else in the background.

Obviously this is not the solution as I didnt spend $700 on a phone and not be able to use WiFi...but till the time there is a fix...atleast I know whats causing it.

And many, even on Verizon, aren't having the WiFi standby issue.

Have you reset and run it a bit without adding apps at all?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand that you only use 3% with battery saver....but why should I have to put battery saver on? The point is not that there are ways to slow the drain...atleast for me the issue is that the damn drain shouldnt be there to begin with. Especially when its something that I didn't do or an app I didnt install.

If someone has a signal issue that they can't change, battery saver is a good option.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I havent reset my phone nor has my wife. Both of us have the same issue. And its not only wifi on standby....its wifi period.

I was on S6 till last week...and there is absolutely no change in what is installed and how I am using my phone...so there is definitely some issue. Atleast there is an issue with both our phones (and numerous others on this board even after factory reset and not installing ANYTHING).

I have not factory reset and thats probably the next step but I seriously doubt that will fix it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I havent reset my phone nor has my wife. Both of us have the same issue. And its not only wifi on standby....its wifi period.

I was on S6 till last week...and there is absolutely no change in what is installed and how I am using my phone...so there is definitely some issue. Atleast there is an issue with both our phones (and numerous others on this board even after factory reset and not installing ANYTHING).

I have not factory reset and thats probably the next step but I seriously doubt that will fix it.

No.. Some are having high standby while connected to WiFi and it seems to be using battery.

Also not just reset. Reset and run it a while, WiFi on, no installing apps and see if the WiFi issue is still there.

You can boot into safe mode and run it that way for awhile and see if the issue still happens. Now the reset and running it without apps for a bit would be better IMO, then you know for sure, if it isn't a problem on WiFi, an app is causing the WiFi issue.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
No.. Some are having high standby while connected to WiFi and it seems to be using battery.

Also not just reset. Reset and run it a while, WiFi on, no installing apps and see if the WiFi issue is still there.

You can boot into safe mode and run it that way for awhile and see if the issue still happens. Now the reset and running it without apps for a bit would be better IMO, then you know for sure, if it isn't a problem on WiFi, an app is causing the WiFi issue.

I will try and reset.

But yes thats the same issue I am having...somehow wifi is causing very high cell standby...which is draining battery.

All my android phones....have never used anything else...have turned off carrier internet (4g, 3G, whatever) as soon as I put wifi on. Even S6 untill last week did that. WIth Note 5 however...my 4G stays on even after I put wifi on. People have said thats its not using carrier data in that scenario...I understand that but because that radio is on...I am sure that is what is causing high cell standby which is indeed causing battery drain.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I will try and reset.

But yes thats the same issue I am having...somehow wifi is causing very high cell standby...which is draining battery.

All my android phones....have never used anything else...have turned off carrier internet (4g, 3G, whatever) as soon as I put wifi on. Even S6 untill last week did that. WIth Note 5 however...my 4G stays on even after I put wifi on. People have said thats its not using carrier data in that scenario...I understand that but because that radio is on...I am sure that is what is causing high cell standby which is indeed causing battery drain.

It seems to be mostly Verizon people, but not all Verizon people. See if you can run it for a few hours without adding apps, and if it doesn't go up high, just add a few at a time and test, see if it is an app causing it.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It seems to be mostly Verizon people, but not all Verizon people. See if you can run it for a few hours without adding apps, and if it doesn't go up high, just add a few at a time and test, see if it is an app causing it.

I will try reset my wife and my phone but see post# 1327 to see even factory reset is not helping people.

Zoonvu

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
No with battery saver on overnight I only lose about 3% in 7 hours. It's probably an app you have installed, I've had difficulty finding the exact cause of such drains, but use the wake lock detector app mentioned above and you'll find your culprit

I already tried put it on battery saver, factory reset, installed few apps that I need for work (chat and mail), still couldn't get better than 20%. Only thing that I haven't try yet is to turn off Wifi. I'll try tonight and will update.

I shouldn't have to do that much to save battery, I will try anyway.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I already tried put it on battery saver, factory reset, installed few apps that I need for work (chat and mail), still couldn't get better than 20%. Only thing that I haven't try yet is to turn off Wifi. I'll try tonight and will update.

I shouldn't have to do that much to save battery, I will try anyway.

And I can pretty much guarantee that if you just turn off your wifi...you will be thrilled with your battery life. Nothing else needed.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
So here is the test.

I factory reset my phone at 11am with 75% battery remaining. I have not installed any app...I have not even logged into google account...absolutely nothing. All I have done on the phone is connected to wifi and put it on the side. I will update in couple of hours of absolutely no use...not even screen on and tell you whats up with the battery.

I have a strong feeling this will not help since both wifi and 4G are on at the same time...so my cell standby will be VERY high.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12