Note 5 Battery life thread

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I will try reset my wife and my phone but see post# 1327 to see even factory reset is not helping people.

There could be different issues. It isn't the reset helps, it is to narrow down the issue by not adding back all the apps.

Ok, are you using a Verizon provided caller ID app?

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
There could be different issues. It isn't the reset helps, it is to narrow down the issue by not adding back all the apps.

Ok, are you using a Verizon provided caller ID app?

Not using verizon caller ID...I even disabled it.

Yeah but if people have factory reset and its draining with wifi even without installing any app...how will it help me narrow down which app it is since there hasnt been anything installed. That was the case in post# 1327

Anyways...I have reset my phone....havent touched or logged into anything except connecting to wifi. Lets see what that does to battery in couple of hours.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not using verizon caller ID...I even disabled it.

Yeah but if people have factory reset and its draining with wifi even without installing any app...how will it help me narrow down which app it is since there hasnt been anything installed. That was the case in post# 1327

Anyways...I have reset my phone....havent touched or logged into anything except connecting to wifi. Lets see what that does to battery in couple of hours.

Well if it is draining like that with nothing installed, an app isn't causing it.

Ok, do a screenshot that shows your notification bar, while you still have WiFi on and post that. Just a screenshot of anything. I want to see your notification bar.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well if it is draining like that with nothing installed, an app isn't causing it.

Ok, do a screenshot that shows your notification bar, while you still have WiFi on and post that. Just a screenshot of anything. I want to see your notification bar.

First 1 hour after factory reset with absolutely no use, no apps installed, no login anywhere....used 6% in standby.

I took a screenshot that shows my notifications - both wifi and 4G are on at the same time. I think that is what is causing high cell standby and indeed horrible battery.

I am not able to post it...it lets me browse to the photo but there is no button to actually post it.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
First 1 hour after factory reset with absolutely no use, no apps installed, no login anywhere....used 6% in standby.

I took a screenshot that shows my notifications - both wifi and 4G are on at the same time. I think that is what is causing high cell standby and indeed horrible battery.

I am not able to post it...it lets me browse to the photo but there is no button to actually post it.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is at all pertinent but I have been getting really good battery life with my phone. I'm on wifi most of the day (less a commute of an hour to and from work), I have FB, Bluetooth, G-mail and my Yahoo mail all going all the time. I make and receive calls on and off through the day. I am on What'sapp all the time (which includes random pictures and voice notes) and G-chat here and there at work. My brightness is set to a little under 50% and I'm constantly checking my phone for messages. I have no power saving features active and using it that way from 7:30 (off wireless charger) to 6 (my usual get home time), I have anywhere from 50% - 65% left. By noon each day I'm at about 88% - 89% and that's a fair average. However, yesterday, for ****s and giggles, I decided to active Verizon's visual voicemail app and today, with the same usage as usual, by noon my battery was at 74%.
I don't want to point any fingers since anything could be going on here but I've had this phone since the day it was released and the battery performance has been spot on. I am going to keep things as they are to see how the battery performs in the next two days and if I'm still seeing what I've seen today then I'll rid myself of the visual VM. I don't plan to keep it anyway and only wanted to try it out but I figured I'd give my experience with it here.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

pwiddy

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Your "held awake" time is almost the same as your total time since last unplugged. The battery drain seems to be coming through your apps though... something (or multiple somethings) you have installed is (1) keeping your phone awake and (2) draining battery by the app running...

thanks....any idea how to find out what?

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
That's some nice screen on time I would like to know if your using power saving mode,Facebook, YouTube,instagram? Oh and what's your brightness set at?

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
thanks....any idea how to find out what?

I'll post some suggestions later on down in this comment. I can tell you that I am getting over 16 hours total battery life on average, with over seven hours of screen on time. In a lot of ways, your battery data and mine are not that different - similar data for phone, wifi active, bluetooth, etc. Your screen seems to eat a little more than mine per hour (brightness?) and your apps eat a LOT more battery by percentage than mine. Your held awake battery percentage is low (2%) but your held awake time is looooong. My held awake is always at 0% and its usually held awake about 15% of the total on time. Yours is held awake, like 80-90% of the total on time.... which I don't understand at all.

All of that is why I think some app you are using, which is not itself a huge battery hog, is querying some android system process and holding your phone awake when it is not in use.

I would start by disabling or uninstall any bloatware or apps that appear on your battery list that you never use. I always suggest that because if you aren't using them its a no harm no foul effect on your user experience.

Second, I would open your phone up cold after its been sitting not being used for a while, and open up the usage manager, and check what apps are running, if any. If an app is causing wakelocks, it has to be running at least a process..... There are also apps you can download to find a wake lock causing application. Wakelock detector is the one I see mentioned but I have never bothered with it because my battery life is pretty good.

One last suggestion would be to try one of the battery saver modes and see how it effects your battery life and/or performance.

wvtarheel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
eYxoqkH.jpg

There is my GSAM report. I'm averaging 16 1/2 hours per complete charge, over 7 hours screen on time, and very little "held awake" time compared to my total hours since last full charge.

I'm not on any power saving mode, I'm on AT&T with auto brightness all day.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 195920

There is my GSAM report. I'm averaging 16 1/2 hours per complete charge, over 7 hours screen on time, and very little "held awake" time compared to my total hours since last full charge.

I'm not on any power saving mode, I'm on AT&T with auto brightness all day.

Its people on Verizon who are having the most issue with battery life on wifi

JC1979

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
With Shutapp I went from about 4 SOT to 9 SOT. I don't need to charge as often either. Doze was not enough.

I was about to give up. But no! I also disable the NFC/payment feature at all times unless using it. (Some complainers appear to keep it on.) I turn down my brightness whenever I don't need it. Love the black screen, and use mostly Nook and stock browser. Not many calls.
:cool:
I charged at 9pm yesterday from 15% to about 58%, with little usage between then and 12:30pm PST.

I'm Verizon and WIFI is on always work/home/commuting. I have WIFI notifications off. I did select the stock power saving mode finally, which may have improved some after Shutapp.

Battery 8 hours 29% remaining.jpg

Cell standby.jpg

Screen.jpg

Last edited:

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
First if you have a bad signal, you are going to have a draining battery.

Second, you don't have to disable processes that make Android devices what they are.

You can't just compare iPhone to Android in that way, that is comparing apples to oranges.

Just one minor thing and that makes a difference in battery, is widgets. Android has actual widgets, with info delivered to your home screen, fully functioning, iPhone doesn't do that. The widgets of iPhone are notifications.

How do you think iPhone operates with so little RAM? It doesn't have all the processes running because it doesn't do near the same as Android. Android is highly customizable, which is why Android users choose Android. If it is highly customizable, people are going to use different things. If you have something running that you don't use and you are already having battery issues, you can just disable what you aren't using.

Now my sister has an iPhone and she is connected to a charger all the time and when she isn't, she has a charging case she has to use a lot.

Neither is true for me. Her phone also does very little of what my phone does.

Trying to compare the Android and iPhone is like comparing a Toyota Corolla and a Sports car and saying the Toyota is better because it gets better gas mileage and your sports car should get the same gas milage and you shouldn't have to put more gas on it and should be able to use 10W 40 oil in the sports car that is much cheaper instead of having to use 5W 30 oil.

Yeah, they are both cars, but when you have a V6 or a V8 sports car and try to compare it to a Toyota, performance is quite different and they will never get the same gas mileage and having simply higher gas mileage doesn't always mean anything. You can't have a sports car and then expect it to run like a Toyota.

So, if you want a sports car and the gas mileage of a Toyota, there are things you have to change about how you drive the sports car.

If you want a high power Android and want a battery that last like an iPhone or even a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, you are going to have to give up some of those functions.

The only widget I have is a clock and weather which only updates hourly. I use Google Now and want location history on. I have been carrying both my Note 5 and iPhone 6+ with me to see how each performs in the same environment. GPS is on all the time on my iPhone 6+. It seems like something is eating up the battery of my Note 5 while on standby.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The only widget I have is a clock and weather which only updates hourly. I use Google Now and want location history on. I have been carrying both my Note 5 and iPhone 6+ with me to see how each performs in the same environment. GPS is on all the time on my iPhone 6+. It seems like something is eating up the battery of my Note 5 while on standby.

Man, I know that you clearly say that you WANT Location History on, but look no further, that's what's eating up your battery.

If Location History behaves and gives the same functionality in iOS than in Android, that I don't know, as I don't use an iPhone since 3 years ago. But, in Android, since Google removed location reporting from the options and incorporated it to the only option now, location history, having that option on now is a Battery Killer at the same level than a Full brightness display or even more depending on the current activity.

So, the question is, for your use, do you really need location history on? Take a look at this thread I created recently and see if you can work around that. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/577889-location-services-battery-drain.html

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried turning off Google location history and Google now... I didn't notice a change in battery life. There might have been one, but it wasn't noticeable to me.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36