Note 5 Battery life thread

Zoonvu

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
For me, I m just wondering my note 5 battery is behaving normal or not in comparison to other Note 5 users. I am always with iPhone and never experienced iPhone battery behave like Android. This is my first Andriod phone. If I have a defective phone, I can go back to shop and replace it.

I m not sure understand correctly or not. it seems like this is a software issue not the hardware.

If that is the case, I ll try to use the Note 5 like when I used the iPhone and if last the same, I m happy. Full day use without charge and cut down perfirmance would be my main concern with this Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For me, I m just wondering my note 5 battery is behaving normal or not in comparison to other Note 5 users. I am always with iPhone and never experienced iPhone battery behave like Android. This is my first Andriod phone. If I have a defective phone, I can go back to shop and replace it.

I m not sure understand correctly or not. it seems like this is a software issue not the hardware.

If that is the case, I ll try to use the Note 5 like when I used the iPhone and if last the same, I m happy. Full day use without charge and cut down perfirmance would be my main concern with this Note 5.

It is hard to compare to others, because we can all have such different settings and apps. Also you probably won't get the same battery as the iPhone, the Note 5 just does a lot more, it is a more powerful phone.

What you need to do is set your sync settings and other things, like you want and if your battery gets you through what you need, then don't worry about the time, etc. Of you need to only charge once a day, and it works that way for you, then that is good and it is meeting your needs.

laestrella

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me understand what I'm seeing here. Why is telegram at the top of my list in the system battery usage but not in gsam?

And I notice that a lot of people on here don't talk a lot on their phone as much as I do so it's difficult to compare usage. I'm assuming my battery is doing OK with my current stats, correct?

uploadfromtaptalk1441971213055.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441971231059.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-11-07-37-47.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried almost all recent phones out there. I generally have an iPhone and Android phone to play with. The note 5 and 6 plus edge easily get me though a day just like the iPhone 6 plus. Maybe I put it on the charger at some point in the day but generally my usage allows for that. The end result is that with these phones I don't give battery life much thought. That this phone or that phone is better with the battery or that removable battery would be nice is kind of irrelevant if the phone already covers your needs.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Damn it my post never posted. I Also live in thailand but o had to disable 4G the signal is very spotty and it drained battery a lot while the singal was always fluctuating. I turned LTE off and battery improved a lot. Usually if lucky i can get about 3 hours SOT.
However dont know what happened. Yesterday got software update and a few apps got updated. My battery was pretty bad this morning. I used 30% in 1 hour!!!! All i did is chat on messenger a little bit. Wth?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have read what every one has said and I agree that there are bunch of ways to extend battery life... Shut services, locations, etc etc etc. That's not the point I am trying to make.

What I am saying is whether you keep all those apps and services off or on... If you have WiFi on or off will make a huge difference.

All these things are to extend battery life, not to fix broken battery life. Working with an earlier example of a sports car... I buy a sports car with 8 cylinder engine and big battery and what not. But then I realize oh damn...due to some fault I am not able to squeeze 500 horse power that I am supposed to get... But I am only getting 300 hp. Well I am screwed... Maybe if I don't use the exhaust system to its full potential, I can get some power, or maybe if I turn the engine down from v8 to v6...i can get to 400 hp maybe... Still not full potential but better. But that's not why I bought the car. I want the car that performs to its potential and then I can make whatever tweaks I want to one way or the other to make it even better.

I think what people are not grasping here is... That i am not saying that I can't improve my battery life by doing certain things. Yes my battery life sucks when on WiFi and I can turn off various services and make it suck a little less. But I would like it to not suck such dramatically on WiFi compared to 4G...and then I can make it even better if I choose to by turning certain services (location, power saving etc) off. Turnings these on and off should be my decision but all else equal... Turning WiFi on should not cut your battery life in half.

I know US carriers suck when it comes to bloatware... I am not arguing whether they should have all that on our not... Thats a separate discussion. All I am saying is all equal turning WiFi on its killing battery.

Not sure if I was able to explain myself but this was the best I could do.
Have you tried to do a factory data reset and not install any apps to see if you still have the wifi drain? It could be a problem with certain apps?

Because I have lots of apps installed and didn't use any power savings or disable any settings and still get good wifi battery life, about 1% drain per hour idle, same as on 4GLTE

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried to do a factory data reset and not install any apps to see if you still have the wifi drain? It could be a problem with certain apps?

Because I have lots of apps installed and didn't use any power savings or disable any settings and still get good wifi battery life, about 1% drain per hour idle, same as on 4GLTE

I did factory reset, didnt install anything or didnt even log into google account. Just connected to wifi...same 5-7% drain on wifi and 1% on LTE. If it was just my phone I could think that its some app or phone is defective. Its the same on my wife's phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I did factory reset, didnt install anything or didnt even log into google account. Just connected to wifi...same 5-7% drain on wifi and 1% on LTE. If it was just my phone I could think that its some app or phone is defective. Its the same on my wife's phone.

Are you using 2.4 or 5.0 ghz? Perhaps try the other.

Also have you tried to disable 4GLTE when on wifi?

M120

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I'm a power user and just wondering to those who've used a one plus one which phone had the better battery phone.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Are you using 2.4 or 5.0 ghz? Perhaps try the other.

Also have you tried to disable 4GLTE when on wifi?

I am on 2.4Ghz, my router doesnt have 5 Mhz. Never saw a reason to upgrade as it works amazingly well.

I have not turned off 4G LTE when I turn off WiFi...that will have to be done manually. If this works...will have to do this till its fixed.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I'm a power user and just wondering to those who've used a one plus one which phone had the better battery phone.

I had a OnePlus One before and now have the Note 5 and can honestly tell you that they seem to be equal in the battery department, this in my case with same settings, apps and usage in both. If i need to choose one, so far the Note 5 seems to have a light advantage or at least is more consistent.

Last edited:

tGarr

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to toss my experience into the thread, I'm a Verizon customer using a Note 5 on the trial program for iPhone users. I can confirm there is a bug with the wi-fi fighting the cell network.

I'm coming from an iPhone 6, not the 6+. Before that I was using a Galaxy S5 and before that... iPhone 5S, Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus One. (along with very brief Moto X and Nexus 5 flirtations on T-Mobile).

My typical day consists of a morning news check (~5AM) then email and Skype throughout the day. Some Reddit and misc browsing at night, ending around 9-10PM

The iPhone would typically end a 16 hour on a charge with 25%-50% battery at the end of the day. The Note 5 under the same usage is down to 30% around 10 hours through the day. I typically have to do a partial re-charge around 3PM back to say 75% and I'll still end the night around 20%.

I noticed that if I turn off Wi-fi my second worst battery offender, cell-standby, disappears from the list and I don't need to re-charge mid day.

This leaves me conflicted. The re-charging at home doesn't really bother me, and it's likely that when I'm traveling the battery will be fine if I just turn off wifi, but if I'm on-site somewhere and using someone's wifi I'll be in trouble. Additionally I'm a little nervous about effectively doubling the charge cycles on a non-replaceable battery.

The phone is great, if the battery were just replaceable (who wants a glass back anyways?) this thing would be a no brainer.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Just to toss my experience into the thread, I'm a Verizon customer using a Note 5 on the trial program for iPhone users. I can confirm there is a bug with the wi-fi fighting the cell network.

I'm coming from an iPhone 6, not the 6+. Before that I was using a Galaxy S5 and before that... iPhone 5S, Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus One. (along with very brief Moto X and Nexus 5 flirtations on T-Mobile).

My typical day consists of a morning news check (~5AM) then email and Skype throughout the day. Some Reddit and misc browsing at night, ending around 9-10PM

The iPhone would typically end a 16 hour on a charge with 25%-50% battery at the end of the day. The Note 5 under the same usage is down to 30% around 10 hours through the day. I typically have to do a partial re-charge around 3PM back to say 75% and I'll still end the night around 20%.

I noticed that if I turn off Wi-fi my second worst battery offender, cell-standby, disappears from the list and I don't need to re-charge mid day.

This leaves me conflicted. The re-charging at home doesn't really bother me, and it's likely that when I'm traveling the battery will be fine if I just turn off wifi, but if I'm on-site somewhere and using someone's wifi I'll be in trouble. Additionally I'm a little nervous about effectively doubling the charge cycles on a non-replaceable battery.

The phone is great, if the battery were just replaceable (who wants a glass back anyways?) this thing would be a no brainer.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also have a concern of running non replaceable battery through so many charge cycles.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone discuss the Sprint version of the Note 5, but I'm having the same wifi issue as some of the others on different carriers. Indeed, the wifi and 4G radios are both on at the same time for me too. I've used Doze and ShutApp together and it didn't seem to help much. I also have high Android system usage which seems to grow as the day goes on. It might start at 2-3% in the morning but by evening it's up around 25-30% and statys that way until recharge or reboot.

I've tried 2 factory resets, cleared the cache everyday, sync off, no push anything, disabled all the bloat and uninstalled all the junk apps, few widgets and the idle drain is 10%+ an hour even on LTE. I guess I'll wait for an update because from where I sit, this is definitely a bug for some people. I'm ordering a battery pack case on the 20th when they become available. I can't deal with 6-7 hours of battery life from an $800 phone. 😭

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also have a concern of running non replaceable battery through so many charge cycles.

I haven't seen anyone discuss the Sprint version of the Note 5, but I'm having the same wifi issue as some of the others on different carriers. Indeed, the wifi and 4G radios are both on at the same time for me too. I've used Doze and ShutApp together and it didn't seem to help much. I also have high Android system usage which seems to grow as the day goes on. It might start at 2-3% in the morning but by evening it's up around 25-30% and statys that way until recharge or reboot.

I've tried 2 factory resets, cleared the cache everyday, sync off, no push anything, disabled all the bloat and uninstalled all the junk apps, few widgets and the idle drain is 10%+ an hour even on LTE. I guess I'll wait for an update because from where I sit, this is definitely a bug for some people. I'm ordering a battery pack case on the 20th when they become available. I can't deal with 6-7 hours of battery life from an $800 phone. ??????

OK guys, I've been seeing this for a while and it wasn't until now that I remember that when something similar happened on the S6 one of the options seem to have fixed it, at least for some people. So, my question is do you have the Smart network switch on?, Go to your Wifi settings (if you can't find it there look under advance) and if it's on turn it off.

Again, it may help or not but I think you can't lose anything by trying.

Jay G63

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

I've tried 2 factory resets, cleared the cache everyday, sync off, no push anything, disabled all the bloat and uninstalled all the junk apps, few widgets and the idle drain is 10%+ an hour even on LTE. I guess I'll wait for an update because from where I sit, this is definitely a bug for some people. I'm ordering a battery pack case on the 20th when they become available. I can't deal with 6-7 hours of battery life from an $800 phone. 😭

I am on Sprint also and when my wifi is turned on the lte symbol goes away.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that most of you and myself are complaining about the battery but did we even give power saving mode a shot? Did you guys know you can have it turned on at a certain battery percentage? go into power saving mode turn it on and then at the bottom click on start power saving mode and it will give you 5 options to turn it on immediately, at 5%,15%,20%, or at 50% so for me im a heavy user when i wake up and before i go to bed so in between my day im gonna turn it on when the battery hits 50% then i will turn it off before i go to bed since i need it to perform to the max. Also i just realized i have 2 vibration settings turned on vibration feedback and keyboard vibration which are really pointless to have on like anytime you press any keys you feel a vibration i dont think any of us need to feel that in order to type. Imagine every time u touch a key the phone vibrates that to me sounds like a battery drainer.

Yes i know power saving mode makes the phone run slower but if your just making calls and texting and not doing any other things at the moment give it a shot.

So I set it to turn on at 15%. I'm assuming even though the icon shows it's selected it's going to not be actually on until that level? Drop down is what will tell me it's on correct in notifications?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Attached is my cell reception and as suspected this has to be the reason for battery issues for me when at home.

Take a look at my home vs road signal and battery drain. No question this is the issue.

My company ordered me a 3g cell range extender which is plug and play. Verizon doesn't have an extender for 4g unless I want to get on my roof and start drilling holes and using cables.

Attachments

• 460.jpg
    460.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 152

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
So I set it to turn on at 15%. I'm assuming even though the icon shows it's selected it's going to not be actually on until that level? Drop down is what will tell me it's on correct in notifications?

yes that is correct even though it shows its on its not really on until the battery gets to 15%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad