Note 5 Battery life thread

x Pervy Sage

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I received a software update the other day which I accepted and now my battery life has suddenly gotten worse?!

Before I was getting 6+ hours screen on time. Today I am at 2 hours SOT and am already down to 34% battery..

Under battery options I have noticed Cell Standby appears on the list and takes just as much battery as the screen does! Before updating I never even used to see cell standby in the list. Google Chrome also seems to be hogging battery all of a sudden and uses more than the screen does. Anyone got any ideas on what is causing this?

Anyway to downgrade from a system update? This is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Update from today. Woke up and pulled my Note 5 off the charger at 6am and it's now 2:20pm and I'm at 73% charge. Moderate to heavy use, screen at 50% which is plenty bright inside and with bluetooth connected to my Gear S and low power location services turned on too.

VERY Happy with the battery life out of it so far.

further update to the above. I ended up in bed late/1am and at that time I had 35% left. WOW! Absolutely no doubt the package disabler app and the bloat, especially the AT&T related items, come into play with longevity of a charge. I have zero doubt I could go 24hrs on a full charge with moderate to heavy use.

if you're having problems, look into using it. I have no affiliation with the product other than I'm amazed and glad I've been using it on the Note 5. Wonder how my old Note 3 would do with it.

bigkstout

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Is there any reason Why there is a considerable difference between a Verizon Note 5 and a T-mobile, as far as battery life, I have a Verizon and my battery last all day +, I had it in use for 14 hours and was still at 50% , my friend had his T-mobile note 5 we unplugged them within 5 mins of one another and his phone was below 10% at 430 ???

Rattso2005

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know this for a fact but my theory on why the T-MO version of the note 5 gets worse than the Verizon model is because TMO's coverage isn't as expansive as Verizon's. I saw this first hand. I initially purchased the note 5 from TMO and in my area ( which is not out in the sticks by any stretch - less than 10 miles away from a major city) my cell standby time was always at the top of the list of hitting my battery the most. I returned that back to TMO and bought the same phone through Verizon and its a night and day difference in battery life. I wanted to give TMO another chance and it didn't work out for me.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Coverage could be a factor for Tmo for some in spotty areas. But I think their software might be issue too. By default Tmo phones come with WiFi calling, VoLTE enabled and that can hurt cell stand-by.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK... So far I have been able to convince myself (and prove to myself) that this phone (and the battery) will last me the entire day during my normal workday... Without having any access to an AC wall outlet, I can easily go 15-20 hours with light usage, and seem to be able to go 10-15 hours with moderate use...

This weekend will be the first time I will truly test the real life ability for my phone to take me through a busy weekend with almost no access to an AC adapter, and a heavy need for taking photos all day long... I'll be taking an extended battery along with me just in case...

I am a little nervous...I am not sure how the phone will perform all day long with the high demand of photos and videos throughout the day...

I won't take the opportunity to test the limits though...I am definitely going to trickle charge the phone with my external battery whenever convenient...I am attending an event that I really don't want to miss any photo opportunities... But carrying extra external batteries is part of my use case for days like this weekend, so I don't mind...

Wish me luck!!!

Wow... Good news to report...

I took my Note 5 off the charger at 100% at 4:30am in the morning and attended an event that went from 5:30am to 2:00pm. Throughout the event I took about 200 photos, and about 10-15 minutes of high definition video. It was an outdoor event, so I had no access to an AC outlet... The phone performed very well... I didn't turn anything off to save power (GPS location, BT, WiFi was all turned on). By the end of the event, if I recall correctly, I had about 50% battery and then threw it on a portable battery charger...

After the event, I unexpectedly attended a big ComiCon show that my brother wanted to drop by. Not sure if any of you have been to a ComiCon, but there is a lot of CosPlay (people dressing up as superheroes, comic book characters, television characters, etc...). Lot's of photo opportunities that I hadn't anticipated... Ended up taking another 100 photos without any problems... Granted I had a small battery pack with me, but that's a small price to pay for this kind of usage I was demanding from my Note 5...

At the end of the day, my external battery pack was depleted, but my phone was at 80% when I got home and put it on the charger after dinner at 8pm... Pretty impressive...

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know this for a fact but my theory on why the T-MO version of the note 5 gets worse than the Verizon model is because TMO's coverage isn't as expansive as Verizon's. I saw this first hand. I initially purchased the note 5 from TMO and in my area ( which is not out in the sticks by any stretch - less than 10 miles away from a major city) my cell standby time was always at the top of the list of hitting my battery the most. I returned that back to TMO and bought the same phone through Verizon and its a night and day difference in battery life. I wanted to give TMO another chance and it didn't work out for me.

what area do you live in ?
So cal or So NV?

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to give those new people a quick example of wakelock detector. For the last 20 hours or so my phone has been off the charger, the apps that have woken my phone from deep sleep are
0270d51d4ce42612e888203b471352e3.jpg

I've been having issues trying to get Facebook and instagram to behave. Despite putting no notifications, it is still giving them to me. Messenger is expected as that is a push service. For those the last have bad battery life, the apps you install wake the phone up from deep sleep. By default push notifications are usually on so it's important to go through your apps and only select those that you want push notifcations.

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
This is another example in what carrier bloat can do. This t-mobile app for some reason keeps waking my phone. This provides no functionality to me so I will disable it.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Neat app... Looks like rooting the phone is required... The app does suggest a workaround...

Does the workaround work on the Note 5?

Have you rooted your phone to use this app?

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
So this is new. I went to bed with 100%, woke up with 36-37%. I'm a little baffled and slightly upset. This has never happened before and I'm not exactly sure what could have caused it.

Attachments

• 1442420183707.jpg
    1442420183707.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 71

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to give those new people a quick example of wakelock detector. For the last 20 hours or so my phone has been off the charger, the apps that have woken my phone from deep sleep are
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/0270d51d4ce42612e888203b471352e3.jpg

I've been having issues trying to get Facebook and instagram to behave. Despite putting no notifications, it is still giving them to me. Messenger is expected as that is a push service. For those the last have bad battery life, the apps you install wake the phone up from deep sleep. By default push notifications are usually on so it's important to go through your apps and only select those that you want push notifcations.

I have the Facebook app and notice that sometimes it doesn't appear on my battery report and other items it's high on that report. Strange since I use it the same all thr time.

I use Shutapp and for some reason it doesn't shut down Facebook nor can it I don't believe. They updated the app yesterday to try but still doesn't work for me.

I also shut off notifications from Facebook Facebook but I can see the number of new notifications or updates waiting for me. I hate that. Thought about deleting it and using Browser but then it jumps battery up on Chrome.

Very annoying

Posted via the Android Central App

solotristan88

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Just got update this morning ...after 11 hour workday...normally at around 60 percent. Today at 35%. What gives?

Posted via the Android Central App

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Neat app... Looks like rooting the phone is required... The app does suggest a workaround...

Does the workaround work on the Note 5?

Have you rooted your phone to use this app?

There is a workaround and no root is required. You need to install some tools on your computer but here are step-by-step instructions: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit#slide=id.p

It seems like using Instagram and Facebook together exacerbate the issue. Any app that requires facebook whether it be login or syncing will wake it up, it seems. Since Instragram is connected to facebook they ping-pong off each other. I have limited background data, I have turned off notifications but they still won't stop waking the phone up. At least with the browser you wont have to deal with the app waking your phone up from deep sleep though. I use Instagram though and there are no third party alternatives that I know of.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

The update for my Note 5 has given me a problem. I noticed faster battery drain due to "Cell Standby" taking up 20% of my overall battery and it was first on the chart underneath the battery stats. Can you guys please tell me how to get rid of this issue? I already turned off VoLTE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac