Note 5 Battery life thread

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So I turned on Google Now and that was a mistake. Google App is at the very top again and in addition I am suddenly getting a Google Play Services drain again. I really wish Google focussed on making these things behave.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So I turned on Google Now and that was a mistake. Google App is at the very top again and in addition I am suddenly getting a Google Play Services drain again. I really wish Google focussed on making these things behave.

It's odd it does that on the Note. On my Moto it doesn't spike in usage even with the location cards on. Sounds like Google may need to fix it for a few phones.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It's odd it does that on the Note. On my Moto it doesn't spike in usage even with the location cards on. Sounds like Google may need to fix it for a few phones.

Maybe it's indexing or something. I'll just leave it be for a day or so and see if it gets better

For the new people: give us screenshots of your battery page and screen on time so we can see if anything is out of wack :)

jmj227

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
After reading more on this forum I did the following: deleted gasbuddy app (which a few mentioned was causing battery drain and it was showing up in my battery stats), facebook app, and the Gsam battery monitor. I went to bed again and put the phone in airplane mode and left bluetooth off. 8 hours later it only lost 3% as opposed to the 17% drain the previous night. So it seems it was one of those apps that was causing the battery drain.

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
As a test, prior to going to be, close all application via the task manager. Then see how it does come the morning. Let us know the outcome...

I already tried that in the past with no improvement so I factory reset my phone and am getting around 4-5 hours screen time. (1hr screen time at 80%) Only lost 5% overnight

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Ah, good to know your experience with battery life is better now. Now you can start to reinstall your applications one by one, and see which one was causing the issue...

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
So given the huge jump in battery usage, I've disabled Google Now cards and the Google App and Google play services is no longer an issue.

Also, Facebook. Facebook is something most people think is safe but really isnt. Whoever codes that app I hope they have a special place in hell as it destroys the battery in idle. Instead I've used a Web page link on my desktop and instead of Facebook messenger I use Trillian. Holy crap the idle times are so much better. I had my phone on over night and over 7 hours or so it was down to 96%. In summary, Facebook is the devil and if you are having issues, try taking out Facebook for third party options

a94664bf4208a94bd566e3c9fd673e6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So given the huge jump in battery usage, I've disabled Google Now cards and the Google App and Google play services is no longer an issue.

Also, Facebook. Facebook is something most people think is safe but really isnt. Whoever codes that app I hope they have a special place in hell as it destroys the battery in idle. Instead I've used a Web page link on my desktop and instead of Facebook messenger I use Trillian. Holy crap the idle times are so much better. I had my phone on over night and over 7 hours or so it was down to 96%. In summary, Facebook is the devil and if you are having issues, try taking out Facebook for third party options

I'm using the Facebook app, don't use the messenger app though and mine is still great.

Attachments

• 1443219668632.jpg
    1443219668632.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 1443219694441.jpg
    1443219694441.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1443219711281.jpg
    1443219711281.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 60

Renxification

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, recently purchased a Note 5! Quite happy about it... well everything except for the battery life. I'm not sure if I have a faulty battery or if my apps are draining the batteries, but I hope you happy owners could help me a little insight.

Some screenshots:
TFS4AGb.jpg
6voShM6.jpg
1frsZIJ.jpg

sorry about the ads...

Anyways, as you can see, it is draining a whopping 7.3% per hour. I've had the phone for nearly a week, and its battery life is only around 12-13 hrs.

Just some other details:
[Screen Brightness] is set to minimal
[Location] is off
[WiFi] is on
[NFC] is off
[Bluetooth] is off
[Power Saving] is not enabled (do you think it will help conserve battery life a lot?)
[Sync] is enabled
[Smart Stay] is enabled
... everything else is off/disabled

I do have the default Samsung software running. I think all my software is up to date.

Can anyone share their thoughts about the battery life of my device?

Thanks.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing though, Facebook is erratic. When I look at the number of wakelocks on my phone, messenger and Facebook are always in the top three. Sometimes it behaves. I guess my point is that many people who have been having matters woes might consider looking at the wakelocks due to Facebook and Facebook messenger.

Hey renx, that is definitely not normal. What accounts do you have syncing, what apps do you have push notifications on, and do you have any Google Apps going?

Renxification

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Hey renx, that is definitely not normal. What accounts do you have syncing, what apps do you have push notifications on, and do you have any Google Apps going?

Lets see... I have only my google account added into my Note 5 which updates my e-mail. I also have WhatsApp which is also set to sync. I have Facebook installed but unsync'ed, set to show friend requests, messages, and event invites. Aside from those 3, the remaining notifications I get are from the play store or from Samsung for software updates.

I think that is most of what I see. Is there somewhere where I can a list of all the notifications? Aside from that, whatever is shown in the AppSucker screenshot above remains the same.

edit:

I also see Office, OneDrive, and Samsung account under Accounts; all of which are currently set to not sync.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lets see... I have only my google account added into my Note 5 which updates my e-mail. I also have WhatsApp which is also set to sync. I have Facebook installed but unsync'ed, set to show friend requests, messages, and event invites. Aside from those 3, the remaining notifications I get are from the play store or from Samsung for software updates.

I think that is most of what I see. Is there somewhere where I can a list of all the notifications? Aside from that, whatever is shown in the AppSucker screenshot above remains the same.

Your WiFi.. Go to advanced and check if you have it set this way.. All of this off and never stay on while sleeping.

Attachments

• 1443237053502.jpg
    1443237053502.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 70

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing though, Facebook is erratic. When I look at the number of wakelocks on my phone, messenger and Facebook are always in the top three. Sometimes it behaves. I guess my point is that many people who have been having matters woes might consider looking at the wakelocks due to Facebook and Facebook messenger.

Are you sure it wasn't Messenger? It does all kinds of bad stuff. You can use this, you still have to keep the messenger app enabled, but uninstall updates and set it not to auto update. This app tells me "not installed" when I install it each time, but when I go to messages in the Facebook app after going through the install, they still work. I downloaded the "new" one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-facebook-chat-enabler-t2934179

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well some of it is also disabling any carrier bloatware you may have. The package disabler app works great for that to disable things that we can't disable through App Manager.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well some of it is also disabling any carrier bloatware you may have. The package disabler app works great for that to disable things that we can't disable through App Manager.
I mean this with all due respect but if you turn off google and facebook and have wifi set to sleep you are basically turning a smartphone into a dumb phone. If I don't play any games, sync any email, make any phone calls, watch any youtube, stream any music, nor receive any kind of contact with the outside world when my screen is off (wifi sleep), use any Samsung software etc. why not just buy a flip phone?

Your suggestions are all accurate. The more stuff we shut off and the fewer apps we use the more battery life we have but it kind of defeats the idea of having the most advanced smart phone ever built.

It's just a shame we have to.

If they just made the phone thick enough so camera lens was flush with back cover we could have had a much bigger battery.

I find the biggest battery killer is a weak signal. If you have less than 3 bars for any length of time I would suggest airplane mode until you are back in a strong signal area.

Does your phone ever feel hot when you have a good signal? Unless you are playing a game some app is running amuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair