Note 5 Battery life thread

crf450r420

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is good for all day if I don't use the phone at all, then I come home to 15%. With the wireless charger used overnight it is plugged in more than my Note 3 per day.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Well before that I had a Samsung data phone and it was one of those flat small phones with a color screen and like a huge screen.. About 2 inches lol. It had Snake 2 on it and I could browse the Web and download games from GetJar back when it was a great place to download.

My original Android phone was the HTC G1 when it first came to the states, and I've been a fan of Android ever since I had the original mytouch, the original Nexus the mytouch 4g,the Evo a few other's I don't remember, even some Iphones but Android has always been my favorite Operating system.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My original Android phone was the HTC G1 when it first came to the states, and I've been a fan of Android ever since I had the original mytouch, the original Nexus the mytouch 4g,the Evo a few other's I don't remember, even some Iphones but Android has always been my favorite Operating system.

My first Android was the T-Mobile MyTouch. My sister had just gotten an iPhone and it was fun, I just liked Android better. I went to buy an iPhone and looked at a new Blackberry and the MyTouch and went with it.

Renxification

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Well some of it is also disabling any carrier bloatware you may have. The package disabler app works great for that to disable things that we can't disable through App Manager.

I bought this and it helped tremendously. I'm around 0.7 - 1% per hr instead of the 7%+ per hr. I've re-enabled wifi always on for now to see how much it will increase the battery drain. For now, I've disabled all the bloatware listed on the package disabler app, but re-enabled briefing, dual clock, and weather. Sadly, when I originally disabled everything it removed my home screen clock and weather. I've re-added the widget but the weather doesn't seem to want to come back on...

I will also slowly re-enable any bloatware that I find that I will use in the future, but for now they will stay disabled.

I find the biggest battery killer is a weak signal. If you have less than 3 bars for any length of time I would suggest airplane mode until you are back in a strong signal area.

Does your phone ever feel hot when you have a good signal? Unless you are playing a game some app is running amuck.

Fortunately, I see 5 bars near my home. I have not felt the phone being hot yet.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought this and it helped tremendously. I'm around 0.7 - 1% per hr instead of the 7%+ per hr. I've re-enabled wifi always on for now to see how much it will increase the battery drain. For now, I've disabled all the bloatware listed on the package disabler app, but re-enabled briefing, dual clock, and weather. Sadly, when I originally disabled everything it removed my home screen clock and weather. I've re-added the widget but the weather doesn't seem to want to come back on...

I will also slowly re-enable any bloatware that I find that I will use in the future, but for now they will stay disabled.

Fortunately, I see 5 bars near my home. I have not felt the phone being hot yet.

Look for this.. Are both of these enabled? If so, you might need to enable that yahoo weather one also.

Package Disabler is fantastic, I now have no desire to root. I'm wondering how long it will be before Samsung blocks this for us though.

Attachments

• 1443315579023.jpg
    1443315579023.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 63

Jglasgow

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
On T-Mobile my Note 5 is so much better than my Nexus 6 was in the battery department. Yesterday i managed 6 hours of screen on time with about 10% battery left. I used it pretty hard with Youtube, Pandora, some Miracast stuff to my Xbox, phone calls, downloading apps, phone calls, etc. Probably the best i've had with it so far.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have data turned off?

I think you aren't understanding what people are shutting off. No one's phone is more restricted than yours.
I understand perfectly. Do some searches on wifi disconnecting. They all say to turn off sleeps on wifi. My phone is not connected to data at home. I have a weak signal that drains battery so I depend on wifi at home.

Shut off google, as many synced apps as possible, shut off this and shut off that and you get more battery life. What if you LIKE Google? (I do). If I used Facebook or Instagram I would want them synced. My point is (and I think you understand it) we shouldn't have to freeze apps just to get decent battery life.

This is not a knock on Note 5. It is an issue that comes up for many phones. Fast processors that use more juice and big hi res screens that demand more power should be accompanied by bigger batteries imo.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand perfectly. Do some searches on wifi disconnecting. They all say to turn off sleeps on wifi. My phone is not connected to data at home. I have a weak signal that drains battery so I depend on wifi at home.

Shut off google, as many synced apps as possible, shut off this and shut off that and you get more battery life. What if you LIKE Google? (I do). If I used Facebook or Instagram I would want them synced. My point is (and I think you understand it) we shouldn't have to freeze apps just to get decent battery life.

This is not a knock on Note 5. It is an issue that comes up for many phones. Fast processors that use more juice and big hi res screens that demand more power should be accompanied by bigger batteries imo.

That is why I asked you if you turn off data. If you turn off data, then changing your wifi settings won't work. People that don't turn off data, don't have that issue.

People don't have to turn off Google Now and Facebook and other things they want to use. That is what I'm talking about you aren't understanding. I'm not using Google Now at this moment, always have in the past.. Rather had it running and rarely used it. I don't turn off Facebook, nor Google Now, etc and I get great battery life. People that have bad signal issues are the ones having problems with Google Now, which is to be expected. It sends a lot of location and uses cell signal also for location, unless you set it to GPS only, which isn't as accurate and most people want high accuracy location.

No one is restricting their phone nor turning it into a dumb phone nor being told to. With Medic in this thread, and I worked with him on his Note 4, his Google Now was using a ton of his battery. My advice to him with his Note 4 was, if he really didn't use that a lot or if there were other things he could use for the same things, he might want to turn it off. If he used it a lot, he would have to deal with the drain.

I use Facebook a lot. They have gotten the app under control, but back when it was using 400 MB of RAM and causing RAM problems, I got rid of it for a while. That was a Facebook issue on any phone running KitKat and above.

I'm still not getting where you think anyone is telling anyone to turn off all the features of their phones.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Tell me how you are determining it is always running anyway.

When I turn the screen back on or wake it up the WiFi logo is there without turning back on. Then using GSM it shows seem time as Cell time. No question it's always running when WiFi is selected to on even if I have it set to turn off when screen is off

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When I turn the screen back on or wake it up the WiFi logo is there without turning back on. Then using GSM it shows seem time as Cell time. No question it's always running when WiFi is selected to on even if I have it set to turn off when screen is off

GSam doesn't show it correctly. On my phone I get a pop up saying basically, you are now connected ro xyz network. It is a quick pop up at the bottom of the screen.

GSam shows the same for me, but I watch mine reconnect.

I've long suspected GSam only pays attention to the WiFi toggle.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been out and in the car for the last 1.5 hours, GSam shows my wifi has been on solid and it hasn't.

Attachments

• 1443391050835.jpg
    1443391050835.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 52

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you have it on but just not connected to anything? Gsam will still count that as the radio being on.

Right.. That is what I've been saying for a while. I don't cut off my wifi, just have it set to never stay on when phone is sleeping. I suspected it was always calculating my wifi as on in GSam. KitKat also did this in the battery graph, but it was eventually corrected.

Had that been the battery graph info of the phone, it would have shown when my WiFi was truly off even though the toggle was on and my screen was black, therefore, WiFi off.

rainyboy7

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I got my note 5 one month ago. The power button has clicking problem and they sending me another one. The question is note 5 need to charge 8 to 10 hours in first charge or not? What the best way to start using it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I got my note 5 one month ago. The power button has clicking problem and they sending me another one. The question is note 5 need to charge 8 to 10 hours in first charge or not? What the best way to start using it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I always just fully charge first time with mine.