Note 5 Battery life thread

yi7682

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Can anybody explain the "mediaserver" process? It is draining my battery to death!
I fully charged my Note5 last night and leave it there (muted, wifi on). 8 hours later, the battery drop from 100% to 56%!! And 55.8% is consumed by the "mediaserver" process!
I have no audio files, no images on the phone.
At first I thought it was the poor signal at home; but when I put it in somewhere else with excellent signal, same results...
I did some research on the "mediaserver" process and it sames that the solution is only for rooted devices or old phones with SD card.
Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)
Screenshot_2015-10-02-07-15-42.jpg
Screenshot_2015-10-02-07-15-48.jpg

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Can anybody explain the "mediaserver" process? It is draining my battery to death!
I fully charged my Note5 last night and leave it there (muted, wifi on). 8 hours later, the battery drop from 100% to 56%!! And 55.8% is consumed by the "mediaserver" process!
I have no audio files, no images on the phone.
At first I thought it was the poor signal at home; but when I put it in somewhere else with excellent signal, same results...
I did some research on the "mediaserver" process and it sames that the solution is only for rooted devices or old phones with SD card.
Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)
View attachment 199566
View attachment 199568
Did you try wipe cache in recovery, if that doesn't work i would factory reset, i know thats not what you wanna hear but it's the only thing i can think of.

Running On Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920A

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I had to factory reset my device because none of the customized LED colors were working for a third party app of mine. It Fixed that, but I was still draining horribly. It's 11 am, I would be at 80 percent or 75% at this time if I kept Google Now. THAT was the culprit. I freak out when it gets to 65% .

Jyscal

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What I did is split out my Wifi for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so that they have different SSID's. Then I have my Note 5 forget the 5 Ghz and that way it only connects to the 2.4 Ghz.

schwartzki

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is still terrible on my device. Better with bluetooth disabled but still wont last much past 10pm either way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-01-22-33-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-01-22-33-33.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_2015-10-01-22-33-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-01-22-33-38.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 53

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I know this is old news, but I am still pretty shocked at how much my battery life improves if I force close Instagram...

Instagram is a crazy power hungry beast!

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone running on power savings mode all day long on some days?

Here's what I am thinking... Samsung's power savings mode does not turn off location services, and all kinds of other things that render the phone pretty useless... (Ultra-power savings mode is another topic altogether)...

Based on what I've read, power savings mode reduces CPU performance and dims the screen sooner, and stuff like that...

Given that many of us (I am sure not all of us) are in a situation where we just need the phone to survive the business day without the demand of high CPU performance...why wouldn't you run your Note 5 in power savings mode for those situations all day long?

I wonder what sort of overall improved battery life you could expect from that... Anyone try this already?

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'm gonna do a factory reset then install apps one by one to find out which one causes the problem.

I tried this, but my battery is still draining , it was close to 40% by 3pm! I thought Google Now was the culprit. I don't know anymore. I do Not want to delete apps that could be rogue because I Use them all the time.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Which carrier are you on?

AT&T. I just don't get it, I don't have a very high brightness, (set to auto), I'm using Package Disabler Pro, I have no Power Saving apps installed, I use WIFI all the time, the device on GSM Battery Monitor has 0% held awake, SOT is usually high, Most of the apps I use are restricted to background, Google Photos only sync with WIFI, I have location turned off, Google Now turned off, I deleted Facebook as I've heard that's a battery drainer. My accounts, well there's no option to sync Wifi or Cellular Network. Spotify only downloads my playlist over WIFI only. I Use Do Not Disturb at night, so nothing should come through except calls, and alarms. I've turned off vibrations on the phone as I know it drains battery. All bloatware is disabled. I have factory reset the phone, wiped the cache partition. My cell signal right now is at 4 bars, sometimes it decreases. It just varies, but I can't do anything about that from where I live. I do put the phone in airplane mode when that happens, but I leave WIFI on.

I think that's it.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
AT&T. I just don't get it, I don't have a very high brightness, (set to auto), I'm using Package Disabler Pro, I have no Power Saving apps installed, I use WIFI all the time, the device on GSM Battery Monitor has 0% held awake, SOT is usually high, Most of the apps I use are restricted to background, Google Photos only sync with WIFI, I have location turned off, Google Now turned off, I deleted Facebook as I've heard that's a battery drainer. My accounts, well there's no option to sync Wifi or Cellular Network. Spotify only downloads my playlist over WIFI only. I Use Do Not Disturb at night, so nothing should come through except calls, and alarms. I've turned off vibrations on the phone as I know it drains battery. All bloatware is disabled. I have factory reset the phone, wiped the cache partition. My cell signal right now is at 4 bars, sometimes it decreases. It just varies, but I can't do anything about that from where I live. I do put the phone in airplane mode when that happens, but I leave WIFI on.

I think that's it.
Hmm I'm on AT&T as well here's some screen shots of my battery haven't used Hardcore but have made texting and lots of gplus and Tapatalk browsing, do you get anything like this.
b2b4b2d58d4bdea33863785044b6d437.jpg

2dff79a2e04461d74675ea42f913f1eb.jpg

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I'm on AT&T as well here's some screen shots of my battery haven't used Hardcore but have made texting and lots of gplus and Tapatalk browsing, do you get anything like this.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/02/b2b4b2d58d4bdea33863785044b6d437.jpg

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/02/2dff79a2e04461d74675ea42f913f1eb.jpg

Nope, mine starts at the top and then drops all the way to about 8 or 9pm That night. Past few days I can't get over 10 hours. I work most of the time remote from home and so I answer texts, emails, do light browsing. I made two phone calls today. Normally, I listen to Spotify all day, but I have my Surface PRO 3 for listening to it.